Advance Auto Parts

Advance Auto Parts Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson

Darren R. Jackson

Pros:
  • "Can move up quickly and learn a lot about cars"
    in 11 reviews
  • "I have worked with some very good people, too bad the company doesn't recognize them"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Most store managers have lost the ability to manage their stores due to new district manager"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Solid company to work for. Good vision and chances for progression.

District Manager (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of opportunity to grow int he company

ConsBig company that moves/changes very fast.

Decent place to work at.

Retail Salesperson (Former Employee)

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time for less than a year

ProsAdvance teaches you about basic car knowledge, and having patience with people. The pay is very good even for someone with know prior knowledge to any car info. The manager was very understanding and helped with my schedule.

ConsBeing the only girl who worked on my location many customers and sometimes employees would use that against me.

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

Very busy

Assistant General Manager (Current Employee)
Asheboro, NC (US)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat customers, and decent benefits

ConsCompany worries to little about taking care of customers

Professional B

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time for more than a year

ProsSome down time, they work with your schedule well, relatively easy work. A lot of cool people in the company. A LOT OF STUPID ASS CUSTOMERS THAT DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL YEAR THEIR CAR IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Consthe only bad parts are: to be full time you have to be promoted to management and part time averages near 22.5 hours. IT does not exceed 30 without punishment by means of cutting your hours. You cant work at most stores if your not 21. Other than that pretty good company, the more you surpassing your sales goal the less likely you are to be fired. SELL SELL SELL!!! lol

Advice to Senior Managementplease dont tell us to put our phones up if your setting there playing a game. p.s i've never used my phone at work

Great work experience!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time for less than a year

ProsLike anywhere you work, your experience will ultimately depend on your peers and immediate supervisors. Very willing to work around tight schedules. The chances of advancements are there, its just up to you to get there. The employee discount comes in handy when you need a 200$ part.

ConsThe biggest cons that I've faced working sales is those few select customers that cannot grasp certain concepts like my personal favorite "Sir, that part isn't ours". And our logistics is terrible. We contract our deliveries to different companies who often damage parts because of their ignorance on what it does. (I.E. Sitting rotors on top of gaskets.) That is if we even get the part on time, or at all. The District manager doesnt make visits to stores like he is supposed to, and often inconveniences the GM's with unscheduled conference calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur store is the only store like it in the district. We are the smallest in our district, yet come in the top 3 in net sales. This is due to our unmatched customer service that the company claims to have but very few of its stores follow. need to fix this.

Sr. Risk Analyst

Senior Risk Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFantastic benefits and room to grow with the company

ConsLots of processes and coworkers stuck in old ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementOut with the old, in with the new!

Fast paced, friendly environment!

Retail Parts Pro (Current Employee)
Leavenworth, KS (US)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for less than a year

ProsAdvance is a company that cares about it's workers! They offer great benefits and perks! Schedules are flexible and training is provided!

ConsAs with any retail environment, you will have to work some weekends and closes. Also the pay is a little below what other parts stores are paying, but once in management, the bonuses make up for the lack of pay.

just your average retail job, able to wear shorts to work...

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of learning tools available, able to wear shorts to work. Very easy to communicate with upper management.

ConsLow paying, truck shipments are dis organized, poor staffing,

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I worked for this company as a Hub Manager

Hub Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for less than a year

ProsLeft to do your work independently after training, friendly staff, gained knowledge of company and auto parts having no previous experience, instruction for floor sets were very clear and hours available to complete tasks were reasonable, pay was good.

ConsSome employees had a more relaxed, unprofessional attitude, direction from one location to another was very different, when dealing with situations from store to store there was a very hostile attitude as if the stores didn't like interacting with one another. Management team did not hold staff accountable.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Leaders should work to bring teams together instead of the "against each other" environment, online training courses were helpful but the option to stop and rewind segments would be helpful.

What is going on

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLove helping customers solve issues with their vehicles. Work with a great group of professionals at the store level.

ConsPAY!
SPH!
APAL!
Location!
New store with no telephone number in the phone book. No presence on the Internet. Store was built next to a rival store in a neighborhood where customers are not big DIYers. Average about 60-65% of projected transactions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'll put it in simple terms:

Get out of the store building mode for a while.

Stop and listen to the employees in order to make better decisions concerning the existing stores to improve employee and store management sanity.

All new employees (hire people with automotive experience) from DL to CEO should spend at least a week at a store to understand their role better as it apply's to the overall well being of the company.

There's more but I'll save it for another time.

Worked for Advance Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advance Auto Parts reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Advance Auto Parts CEO Darren R. Jackson. All 525 reviews are posted anonymously by Advance Auto Parts employees.