Advance Auto Parts

Updated 24 October, 2014
2.8

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson
Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • Can move up quickly and learn a lot about cars (in 13 reviews)

• In my experience they took very good care of good people (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees (in 64 reviews)

• Detached upper management who would rather use fear through sharklike district managers than encouragement (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

AAP is a good place to work if you can live with the low wages.

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro
    Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My supervisor and those higher on the ladder have demonstrated interest in me, my training, and my advancement. Scheduling has been flexible. The company-supplied training is helpful.

Cons

The wages are extremely low. I work full-time, but I qualify for medicaid and SNAP. I work hard for my bonuses, but they are not big enough to make a difference.

Make profit sharing or bonuses available to all hourly employees who have been with the company at least three months. As things stand, non-management employees are expected to work to get their supervisors bonuses.

I would make bonuses more dependent on team results than they are now. You call us team members, but provide incentives to work against each other if a good sale is possible.

Integrate the store-based and Internet-based systems. You make me look bad a couple of times per week with the current system. You also use the Internet to remove potential bonus money from my hands and then expect me to to serve Internet customers just as well as retail floor customers.

Pay a living wage. If you really want service to be our best part, compensate the people who provide it adequately.

You have work to do to demonstrate that the company's values (serve, inspire, grow) are consistent with the emphasis on developing a sales culture. Let's develop a service culture.

Get your eyes off AutoZone. Everyone knows that they are dirtball company. Do not compare to them.

Improve the technology. Our computer system is slow and inflexible. Give us keyword search for everything on the retail floor in the EPC. As it stands, I have to go to the AAP website to keyword search retail items. Our internet connection is slow, and it is an awkward multistage process to find an item and determine if it is in our store or not. Use Summit Racing's website as a benchmark, and then try to better it.

If you want us to sell performance parts (Edelbrock, Holley, Mr. Gasket, etc.) give us technological tools to do so (see my previous comment about Summit).

The AST training is good, but if you really want to sell to the hardcore car guy/gal as you say, then we need to step it up even more. At least RPP's, CPP's, AGM's, and GM's need more hands-on training and experience. Perhaps partner with a local community college to provide shop-based experiences.

Lengthen battery warranties. A lot of people use battery warranty as their key indicator of quality.

Doesn't care about your family life

Former Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Carrollton, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Carrollton, KY (US)

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Descent co-workers. Good discount. ..............................

Cons

Didn't care about my family issues enough to cut me a break on attendance b.s. Wife broke had to stay home full-time to care for her and baby. Company denied my FMLA request because I was 8 days short of one year anniversary. Then decided to severe ties of employment. What a crock of bull.

Learn to have a heart. Its not just all sales figures and profits. And give off holidays for gods sake your employees have families too you greedy basterds.

Fast-paced, but understaffed often

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Memphis, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Memphis, TN (US)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Full-time, full benefits after 90 days, most employees are down-to-earth and hard-working.

Cons

High turnover, store is understaffed most of the time. Management is more concerned about running lean on hours than they are about providing the best customer service possible.

If "Service is our best part", staff the stores with more than a skeleton crew so we can actually show the customers that service is REALLY our best part.

Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great emphasis on company values. Company and regional leaders really care about the growth and development of the teams. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Salaries for store team members could be more competitive. Benefits are not up to par compared with other companies of same volume.

Advance is no Google

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They really have made customer care a priority.

Cons

Advance is years behind in the software that is used. Many merchandising and register task could be improved with the expanded use of the LRT's.

Good company at the corporate level overall. Grew so fast that they added too many indirects

Current Employee - General Manager in Roanoke, VA (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Roanoke, VA (US)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good business with lots to improve. Will be better now that it is relocating to NC

Cons

Too many indirects make it harder for the directs to run a profitable business

Transition member, too soon to know enough

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So far limited communication with Management has been pleasant and professional.

Cons

Often feel as if I've been "lost in shuffle" with the recent acquisitions of other companies.

Overall good

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

Discount on parts. Team members working together to make a great environment.

Cons

Pay is not to scale for work. It retail sales, not the greatest field.

Overall positive

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Endwell, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Endwell, NY (US)

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-flexible schedule
    -competitive pay
    -team atmosphere
    -friendly management

Cons

-typical retail job
    -lengthy time to advance

Can be a good place to work

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Abilene, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Abilene, TX (US)

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

With the right manager it can be a fun place to work

Cons

I don't feel that corporate cares about the store workers

If you're are going to get rid of a position, a little notice would be nice

Advance Auto Parts Photos