Advance Auto Parts

Advance Auto Parts Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson

Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • Can move up quickly and learn a lot about cars(in 13 reviews)

• I have worked with some very good people, too bad the company doesn't recognize them(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees(in 56 reviews)

• Most store managers have lost the ability to manage their stores due to new district manager(in 23 reviews)

Great company!!!!!

Retail Parts Pro (Current Employee) Clermont, FL (US)

ProsThey have a great thing going. TEAM is hard to find but Advance is a great one. Started at sales and moved my way up to retail parts pro after 4 months and looking to keep moving up. Great career oppertunities.

ConsThe sales goals could be a tad lower and more attainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue what your doing and update the system to where every store connects to make return process more efficient

The corporate culture worships the bottom line

Retail Parts Pro (Current Employee)

ProsA fairly relaxed work environment. They work around my schedule needs.

ConsThey are gutting middle and upper management and getting rid of people who know cars and the car business and bringing in people with NO automotive background. Our last district leader knew nothing about cars and was simply a corporate YES man. He did nothing but spout the company line and the latest corporate touchy-feely psychobabble of the day. He got fired and our sales improved significantly while we were left alone to focus on what we do best for two months while they found and trained his replacement. New DL again has no automotive knowledge but he has already started spouting the company line. He wants to remove one Commercial Parts Pro from a store with the strongest Commercial program in his district because "according to his labor matrix" the store only rates one CPP. I am NOT optimistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. Stop hiring people without experience in the automotive field. If you cannot promote the existing store managers to the next level because they will not regurgitate the corporate double speak of the moment, then maybe there is a problem with the corporate BS you are trying to serve up. This company was making more money than they knew what to do with and morale among store management was significantly higher before Darren Jackson and his Best Buy buddies came along.

Commercial Account Manager

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAutonomy is the best part. The freedom to get the job done the way you see fit. Interactions with large accounts and growing a relationship.

ConsHuge field of great talent. Sometimes hard to get recognized quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat. Advancement has been out standing from store level up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Retail

Retail Parts Pro (Former Employee) Corry, PA (US)

ProsMedical insurance affordable. Upper management covered holiday hours

ConsHourly wage too low for experienced professionals. Just another big box store mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet wages in line with experience.

Great co-workers pissed poor GM.

ProsGuy's I works with know their stuff and the GM is worthless and only concerned about himself. We were our of pens and he tells us to bring some from home. Short staffed and GM tells the only person in store to deal with it.

ConsYou won't get rich working here. Only 20% off of arts for employees as we see commercial accounts getting parts just above cost. morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO pay the employees more who actually make money for you instead of paying GM big bucks that does nothing at all. When he isn't around sales are good and less stressful but when he comes in sales drop and so does employee

Love the business, but hate the noise of the administration

General Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGood advancement potential to a certain level.

ConsSalary not reflective of hours or responsibilities required. Do as you would if it were yours, but be sure to do it their way. Micromanagement central. Understaffing to the max.

More responsibility, less pay

ProsYou are able to obtain car repair and maintenance knowledge. Great cooperation among co-workers. Most of the time there is an enjoyable customer and employee relationship.

ConsUnfortunately, employees are paid less for the amount of work that is put in. Sometimes customers are extremely unsatisfied if you cannot help them with an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to give raises and appreciate employees that are providing sales for the company.

Advance Auto Parts in a nutshell

Analyst (Current Employee) Roanoke, VA (US)

ProsStable company with stock price outlook on the rise

ConsCurrent organization chain causes conflicting goals across departments. Too many departments under the direction of one individual

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage ideas ways to differentiate from AutoZone and O’Reilly’s instead of consistently reacting.

Good company with a lot of growth potential

ProsGreat leadership team and a lot of opportunity for furthering your career.

ConsPoor communication from higher levels to field teams.

Unrealistic goals expectation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I worked with were great, fun people to work with. It was a real team effort. I had one of the best managers I have ever had thus far in my 25+ years of working

ConsThey are way too focused on goals and meeting sales projection, to the point where there was no longer any job enjoyment or satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up on the extremely unatainable goals. You're at the mercy of the customer. You can push a product untilthe cows come home, if they dont want to buy it they wont, and those goals may not be met for that day. DIY is always going to be that way, period.

Worked for Advance Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!