Advance Auto Parts

Updated 21 September, 2014
2.8

Advance Auto Parts CEO and Director Darren R. Jackson
Darren R. Jackson

Pros
  • Can move up quickly and learn a lot about cars (in 13 reviews)

• I have worked with some very good people, too bad the company doesn't recognize them (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to show enough appreciation for store employees (in 57 reviews)

• Detached upper management who would rather use fear through sharklike district managers than encouragement (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Definitely a new and stronger company, if....

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong ethics, uniform disciplinary procedure, good advancement pathways (to a point).

Cons

Micro-managed, poor pay, salary slaves. Short-staffed stores constantly struggling to keep ahead of tasks and customer challenges yield to early resignation of employees.

Stop telling store managers to "run it like you own it" and penalizing them for not doing it the "company" way.

Decent Company

Current Employee - Product Data Manager  in  Roanoke, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Data Manager in Roanoke, VA (US)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are great, cool corporate office, casual day every day.

Cons

Upper level management only cares about the bottom line. Remote working is being phased out.

Care about your Team members.

Typical Retail Environment

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

Work-life balance, decent opportunities for growth.

Cons

lack of promised raises, difficult co-workers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of team spirit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oxon Hill, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxon Hill, MD (US)

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

to many projects for time allotted

Cons

Schedule restraints for projects scheduled

need gate keeper for projects

It Has It's Moments

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

ASE-like online training.
    Constantly on the move.
    Good coworkers make it all worth while.
    Bonus program for Key Holders and Management.
    Usually can work more hours than scheduled if you need it.

Cons

The "Numbers" system has turned it into an Every-Man-For-Himself culture. Returns, defective exchanges, core returns, as well as the ridiculous "Loaner Tool" program all count against the salesmen…it's a recipe to set us up for failure and it's killing morale.
    Belittled by customers almost daily.
    Sexism…from customers, as well as coworkers and subordinates.

The Numbers system is horrible and has caused such a drop in morale. It's killing us at the store level, and creates animosity between coworkers. I doubt it will ever go away, but figure out a way not to set us up for failure… We have become opponents rather than "Team Members." Either change the description to "Sales Associate" or stand by your Team.

Not Bad For A Backward Industry

Former Employee - Middle Management, Field Support
    Former Employee - Middle Management, Field Support

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The compensation and benefits are fairly competitive. Because of the recent acquisition of GPI/Car Quest, there is currently a lot of opportunity for growth - especially if you're willing to relocate for promotions.

Cons

The industry as a whole breeds mediocrity. Marketing and branding speak to the lowest common denominator. Sophisticated thought is threatening, and true talent is sabotaged. The company is true to its values of Inspire, Serve and Grow - but when translated through the lens of its uneducated conservative culture, they come across more like God, Country and Death Before Taxes!

Stop expecting greatness from people who don't know, or don't care what greatness is.

Met some really good people on the store level had good time working here.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good concept of doing business just stores are probably a few people short of getting everything done that needs to be done.

Cons

The District Level has no clue to what is going on in the stores or about customer service in general. Advance also wasn't taking care of the quality employees that did care about the company I ran a store that beat its sales goal by double digits and was allowed to give one team member a .25 cent raise and he was the worst team member I had but the District Leader knew team member was leaving the company so it saved the company money by doing this. The beginning of the end was the sales goals for every position you have to run really short handed for everyone to have a chance to make the goal.

Better and larger bonus opportunities, Most District Leaders need to either be let go or demoted to store manager so they know what is going on.

Sales advance

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you love cars it is an interesting place to work.

Cons

Customers who think that is a free garage and come up and ask us to work on their cars for them.

Great company

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good culture high rewards great benefits great salaries

Cons

None none none none none

Include input from employees about direction and reasons for financial figures without making high level assumptions that could cause issues with hard workers.

It is a decent part time job.

Current Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder
    Current Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to meet and bond with a lot of different types of customers at this job. If you put a smile on your face, know what you are talking about, and sincerely try and do your best by your customer then they will come back to you. The work environment is decent if you are a part timer. If you are a driver and/or do not have a target sales goal that is.

Cons

The pay does not match the responsibilities of the core four team members, and in my personal experience the GM's care only about making themselves look good to the district managers--at the expense of their employees and the customers. There are a few things that makes a company money. One of them is a staff that has proper moral. When you nit pick at your core four on a daily basis because you had a bad day with your own personal business it brings their moral down. My personal core four are all over 130% on their sales goals including myself. We still get nit picked on every single day by our GM. I am not stating that this is every GM--just my own personal GM. In fact, I wouldn't mind if my DM was my GM. The guy is very level headed, knows how it goes at my personal level, and I respect him very much. He has a lot of good advice to offer. He is a numbers guy which of course is a great thing, but at the same time he is down to earth and knows and appreciates how hard we work and he lets us know it. Sadly I will be leaving this company shortly due to my experience with my GM. We do everything humanly possible to make this store run top notch, and nothing is ever good enough for this guy. He can pick on the next guy. I'll go make another company double my sales goal each quarter.

Aside from the above, my advice to management is to hire GM's that not only know management, but also know cars a bit. Sales means knowing your product, and you need to understand how cars work to a point to be able to sell. As far as the management process itself, be a little more wary when dealing with scheduling. If the store needs the hours and we are performing, let us have them. We don't need to have a weekly fight to get a few extra hours when we are struggling to keep a building open and operational from 1800 hours to close with two people. It's not enough staff to handle free services, commercial deliveries, phones, and the front. Let alone taking care of reverse logistics, and the ten thousand other things we are expected to have done. At least three closers should be mandatory at all stores.

Worked for Advance Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!