Act-On Software

Updated 11 November, 2014
Updated 11 November, 2014
3.6

Raghu Raghavan

VC backed company, focused on ONLY it's exit strategy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR (US)

I worked at Act-On Software full-time

Pros

Some good people work there, sincere attempts at training being put in place as the company grows

Cons

The only focus is sales..at any cost. Yes, sales are the lifeblood of any commercial enterprise, but Act-On takes this to a new level. Sales calls where customers are essentially lied to are held up as shining examples of good sales people at work for the whole workforce. The fact that the whole company has to sit in on a sales call every quarter says it all.

Put in the work, reap the rewards. Be prepared to Grind!

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great fast paced work environment. Never a boring day.
    Good Benefits, Catered Food, Snack, Beverages.
    Good team culture.
    Great way to grow as a person and professional.
    Put in the hard work, stay focused, get paid!
    Its a grind.... but a good one.
    Company has a lot of potential.

Cons

Long Days. High stress. Very transactional sales enviroment. You have to be willing to sacrifice some of your personal time because this job requires you to be a self starter, and self finisher.
    You can't just become an expert overnight. Takes hard work and dedication. If you can handle that... Great job.
    If you want a cushy 8hr a day job... keep looking.

Keep focused on keeping employees that work hard and show potential.
    There has been high turnover, which is bad for morale, but this job isn't for everyone.
    Stay engaged with your employees and listen to their concerns.

The beginning reviews are from management-stay away!

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free food, some cool people work there. The company is "growing", but not as much as you think.

Cons

Long hours, not as attractive as advertised. The company is a borderline ponzi scheme. They want to go public, but we shall see. The competition is offering better products, faster..Plus the saturation level of the market is creeping up. A lot of the positive reviews were made up by management, especially their product reviews.

They keep hiring fake "marketing" people, and it drives me bonkers

My Opinion on Act-On

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA (US)

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Catered meals
    Good entry-level sales position
    Good benefits

Cons

I couldn’t do a better job at describing the management approach and sales culture than the 7/23/14 post by the “National Sales Manager”. Act-On’s culture is fear-driven, cliche, and tired.

60 hour weeks are expected. Most only work those hours to avoid being viewed by management as not caring, or not working hard enough. It's so bad that a recruiter told me, “I don’t recommend Act-On to anyone with a family.”

Sales management will make you feel like you're crazy- and they constantly tell you that you need to be doing better because the company has record performance. This is because they’re increasing their headcount at an exponential rate. At the same time, a high percentage of reps don't even hit their low, 750k -ish annual quota.

Considering Act-On’s a Marketing Automation company, lead quality and quantity is a joke. While reps tell prospects about the "power of our platform", we have no choice but to cold-call, and call into leads that have been downgraded 2, 3, and 4 times.

Deals are given away to reps, and the worst part is that they use deals as an opportunity tell you you're doing something wrong. Don't let management make you feel you're stupid by tricking you into telling you they're fair.

People there get sick from stress.

I don't know where to begin.

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Sales in Roseville, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Roseville, CA (US)

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, friendly colleagues. Lots of VC funding, and money is being spent in the right places.

Cons

The company is growing at such a break-neck pace, unfortunately at the expense of the employees. Work-life balance is non-existent (not if you want to succeed here). Definitely NOT a good fit for anyone with a family because you will never see them. Don't be fooled, they cater lunch to keep you at your desk. If you are looking at a Sales position, prepare to be just another number. This company goes through salespeople more than any other I've seen. 90% of the salespeople on staff have been there less than 1-yr. Tons of turnover and as another ex-employee stated, there's always a threat of being fired if you miss your quarter, no exceptions. Some people thrive in this type of environment, if you're one of them, then this is a great company for you for the pros mentioned above. If you don't, then don't let the perks sway you and definitely look elsewhere because you'll just be unhappy and fired within 6-months.

No amount of incentives, spiffs, bonuses, perks, can replace work-life balance. I recommend you start taking this more seriously and promote more reasonable work hours. Otherwise, this is a law-suit waiting to happen.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, catered lunch 2 times a week, great people working with you.

Cons

Long days, feels like you are a robot sometimes if you do not make an effort to switch things up.

Let people work from home.

Trust the negative reviews on this one. You wll save yourself a mistake like I did!

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free food. Honestly that was it.

Cons

Pretty much what is said in the negative reviews. No work life balance. Churn and burn culture. Management (especially in Scottsdale) is a joke. People who were telemarketers two years ago are running the place!
    The Scottsdale office was like a morgue vibe from the start. The weekly sales meetings people would put on a smile and thank god those were just one hour. You have to hear from people who are practically teenagers all the stupid stuff they try to do to get a sale. We are talking worse than used care salesmen.

When I knew these people jumped the shark so to speak is when I brought up working over 12 hours is not normal. You would have thought I told them the Earth is flat. No one is that stupid and they fully know no inside sales place is going to expect people to put in 12 hours a day! We all work extra hours to get the sale but Act-On takes it to the extreme.

Like my title says trust the negative reviews. Yes, most of the time I ignore negative reviews but quickly learned at Act-On they are spot on.

Just copy Hubspot like you actually do and hire college kids. They are the only ones naive enough to stay for a year. (if that)

Stop with the clicks and insanity. Any positive review here is from someone who wears keen pads if you know what i mean.
    Word is already out Act-On is a bad place to work for. Do your best to try to reverse it and get to business. Quit hiring all the damn time and actually focus on headcount you have!
    Bring in people who have actually sold a conceptual product elsewhere and not WebEx!!!!!!!!!!

Turnover is way too high- there is no value for sales team

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free food
    You can drink all the booze you want while working

Cons

Work_life balance doesn't exist
    Expect 20 hour days end of quarter
    Expect 12 hour days to be the norm..along with weekends
    Always being told you suck
    You will get fired or Constant threat of being fired if you miss 1 qtr unlessbyou are part of the in crowd
    Pressure customers daily to sign or else
    Charge backs on your sales that you can't fight

Get real managers who know how to coach and build team loyalty
    Tell the truth
    Evaluate culture
    No value of employee input
    Churn and burn of sales team will destroy reputation in industry
    Stop burning your people out
    Listen to the truth your employees share without being defensive
    You will continue to lose good employees blinded by your greed

Just another start-up.....

I worked at Act-On Software full-time

Pros

Easy product to learn, understand and sell.
    Shares

Cons

Sales driven management with zero focus on organizational development. Like most start-ups, they sell the dream of being purchased.
    Senior management was all about "group outings"- another term for "lets get drunk on company time and money." Great for college students just trying to get by, not really for career seekers.

Growth is great, but focus on the end game....

National Sales Manager

Current Employee - National Sales Manager
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Opportunity to make a lot of money
    -Strong/experienced/fair management
    -Feeling like you are truly making a difference in the growth of a company
    -Spiffs, prizes, contests, bonus', commission, trips and more
    -Great co-workers who support each other
    -Investment in employees through additional training on and offsite
    -Don't have to deal with all the corporate tape of larger organizations
    -Clear goals and objectives
    If you are driven and looking for a challenge this is the company for you!

Cons

This is a very ambitious company. We are growing rapidly and with that comes a lot of change. Some people have a hard time riding the waves and remembering that with the fun and excitement of a growing company also comes A LOT of hard work. With ALL jobs you have to take the good with the bad and it is up to you with how you choose to handle that.
    After reading some of my co-workers comments on the lack of work/life balance, I have to say the decision to balance your life is 100% in your control. If you are working 11 to 12 hour days and not happy about it, don't take the easy way out and blame the company but instead ask yourself if you are being as efficient with your time as you could be.
    I left a very large company to come to Act-On Software. I knew I was leaving a comfy yet complacent position for the unknown but I was also ready to challenge myself and see what I was made of. I love the quote below. In my opinion it is what Act-On represents for those ready to accept the challenge.
    "Don't Be Afraid to Work Hard to Find Out How Good You Can Really Be"

Continue to streamline processes and procedures. Would love to see the CEO visit the different offices a few times a year.