Achievers

Updated 19 August, 2014

4.2

Achievers President and Chief Executive Officer Patrick D. Quirk
Patrick D. Quirk

Pros
  • Great People - I'm very impressed that as a start-up everyone has a role and does their job amazingly (in 11 reviews)

• I truly enjoy coming to work everyday (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any growing company, the only constant is change (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely high expectations from senior management without any form of reciprocity (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work hard and play hard!

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Achievers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of perks and huge culture here. The opportunity to work with smart people and learn a ton. Great environment if you like to get things done - do it! You'll be rewarded.

Best decision I made accepting a job here!

Cons

If being proactive and moving quickly isn't your jam, Achievers is not for you. You need to be able to accept change and embrace it! No 9-5ers means exactly that!

Continue being transparent with your team - we love it. Keep having fun!

Start Up Culture figuring out how to be a tech company

I have been working at Achievers full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are friendly, office locations are amazing, the market is in the middle of being disrupted. The board is also packed with experience.

Cons

Below avg salaries, mediocre perks, everybody thinks they are the best and brightest which is a bi-product of the recognition space we are in.

Raise the talent bar and decide on being a software company or not.

Pure hypocrisy

I worked at Achievers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

salary is paid on time

Cons

their culture is pure hypocrisy. They make you work 10+ hours a day without overtime pay, and they give you recognition of what, $5 worth? and they kept saying how amazing their recognition program is.
    Yes they have celebration events but they are cheap and rarely happen.
    my manager, however, come at 9, leave at 5, sometimes 3 pm. and would chat with us from instant messengers just to see if you are still in the office working overtime. the leaders all seem to care about you, but they only want to make sure you are working like a slave.
    no promotion whatsoever after years of my extremely hard work. no appreciation of talents. They honestly think they are the best and you owe them a lot.
    If you ever leave the company, they will feel you abandoned them and will not like you anymore. They will ignore how hard you have been working for them and will even make up stories to insult you. I heard enough of them trash talking those who left. Now since I'm gone, I heard from my co-workers that my manager still often said awful things about me and said to give bad reference if I applied for any future jobs.
    If you complain, they will tag you as "not a good cultural fit" and they will let you go. The leaders hold 1-on-1 meetings with employees regularly for you to give suggestions with an open heart but it's all fake, in fact if you complain anything, they will remember you by heart and will almost guarantee your miserable future.
    oh there is one VP who loves stalking on people's facebook and constantly make fun of everyone, telling awkward jokes and we have to laugh and pretend to be happy. I feel sorry for him being so unprofessional without knowing his team actually hates him.
    almost all of my previous teammates have left, and the rest are thinking about leaving soon. They are smart and I'm sure they will have a better life than those who stay.

Treat people the way you want to be treated.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Achievers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Incredibly friendly team
    Every work day is different
    Huge emphasis on results
    Constantly changing and growing company

Cons

Inter-department communication sometimes suffers due to speed of work
    Work loads can grow extremely quickly
    Interview process can drag at times

Keep up the good work. There seems to be a push in recent months to increase transparency and top-down communication - this is a good thing, and should continue to grow.

You are actually valued.

Current Employee - Member Experience Coordinator  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Member Experience Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Achievers full-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff is amazing, the work is challenging and the culture is to die for. The work is constant and the time goes by extremely fast.

Cons

It's easy to fall behind quick if you get nailed with a few hard cases in a day, bringing your overall score for the quarter down drastically, just because of bad luck, not bad performance. Also work-life balance is tough because hours range differently every day.

They pay for a part of your cell phone bill, offer a decent benefits plan, buy you a new phone every two years, pay for a portion of your gym membership, discounted metro-passes, you can dress professionally or casual, free breakfast everyday, free lunch 3 days a week, free dinner 1 day a week. Many retreats and work parties, great place to make friends, their recruiting staff is amazing.

Best Place to work

I have been working at Achievers

Pros

Super friendly environment. One of the best place that you can work so closely with your Manager and your vote count.

Cons

The location is far, wish it was in hearth of downtown in Toronto

very limited growth opportunities

I have been working at Achievers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of vacation days
    Free breakfast and lunch in office
    Good place for a junior level employee

Cons

-Very low pay and nobody cares to discuss it as the managers will just tell you how great their benefits are (the benefits are just average in fact)
    -Nepotism: tends to hire Board of Directors' relatives
    -Boring work and very limited growth opportunities, doing the same repetitive things for 2+ years even if they kept telling me how much they encourage employee growth
    -Lots of long and meaningless meetings which nobody seems to care
    -Recognition is mostly on peer basis and it is rarely given to those who don't work very interactively with others
    -Very long hours and no overtime pay
    -Celebration events are boring and are mostly shows for clients
    -Corporate culture feels more like a cult. They force people to engage in things they are not interested in
    -Also, they very intentionally encourage their employees to write positive reviews here

Appreciate your employee's talents or they will just leave. It is just a moderate company and nobody has to stay here.

Achievers Response

Jun 04, 2014Employee Success Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We’re happy to hear your thoughts on vacation and our breakfast and lunch perks. It’s important that we help provide the fuel for our employees to ... More

Engagement without Feedback

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at Achievers full-time

Pros

Tons of perks. They sell culture, so they have so much culture it hurts. Lots of great ideas, and they use their own product. Lots of recognition, and a lot of smart people here.

Cons

For all their recognition, there isn't much feedback. They don't believe in Reviews, but seem too busy working hard and partying harder to give feedback on job performance. Then come the mass layoffs.
    The party atmosphere got old pretty fast, since they try to have it pretty much constant.

Provide feedback to employees. Annual reviews may be uncool if formalized, but feedback and communication of expectations is so important.

Achievers Response

Jun 04, 2014Employee Success Representative

We’re stoked to hear that you are enjoying our culture of recognition! Recognition is indeed a wonderful way for our employees to receive praise and points for all the great work they do. The ... More

Engaging Environment!

I have been working at Achievers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Achievers is a fast-paced and high energy environment. It’s not for everyone, but for those who thrive in this type of atmosphere, its top notch. Working alongside of other intelligent, ambitious and passionate people is the highlight of this job. The people here work hard and love what they do.

Cons

If you can’t keep up, you’ll sink quickly. Fortunately, most people who get hired here are good swimmers.

A-Players come here to thrive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Achievers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging work
    Perks like free lunch, flexible work hours, smartphone allowance
    Self-directed career growth
    Great people and strong culture
    Opportunity to work on what you are passionate about and contribute to success of a revolutionary product
    Team atmosphere

Cons

Communication between departments could be better at times, but this is understandable given the pace at which we operate and is no different from any other company.

Keep the focus on employees and their development.

Worked for Achievers? Contribute to the Community!