Achievers

Updated 27 February, 2015
Updated 27 February, 2015
4.2

David Brennan

Pros
  • Amazing culture, great workplace environment and great people (in 12 reviews)

• I truly enjoy coming to work everyday (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any growing company, the only constant is change (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely high expectations from senior management without any form of reciprocity (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good culture with transparency

I worked at Achievers

Pros

People are nice. The culture is great although it might turn some people off. There seems to be a lot of transparency.

Cons

The company is at the phase where it is growing and thus is having trouble holding onto its start-up culture.

Great on the Outside.

I worked at Achievers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're junior, you can have a chance to get entry-level experience, which is great to build on. Sometimes it's hard to get that chance.

If you're in software development, this is a really good place for you. The software team is protected from the things that happen at Achievers, they're a happy bunch and so they should be! :)

Company markets itself very well

Employees can use the product, which is a nice everyday bonus with points

Cons

Disclaimer: the positive reviews you see in Achiever's profile are company-mandated. Employees get cash-equivalent rewards for writing their review when they begin at the company. The company will probably comment on this to defend themselves, but that is the bare-bone truth.

Unfortunately the company is experiencing a down-turn. Business has fallen, employees are unhappy and leaving in large numbers, there are many more competitors offering similar products.

Job security risk is a common theme amongst all teams except for software. Job risk flare-ups happen once every 7/8 months consistently.

Unstable company structure that falls apart every 6 months. Major executives get hired and fired regularly (the CEO most recently), valuable VPs leave regularly (leaving teams without direction for months on end), board members cancel/change things promised to employees without warning or explanation.

Company politics run rampant. I'm sure if you scroll past the company-mandated positive reviews, you'll find true reviews that compare Achievers to a high school. This applies even more to senior members of the company, which is scary.

Not ethical. There are long-tenured and even new managers that work on white lies and rumours. HR is not an exception unfortunately.

Try to simplify your efforts, get back to your values and code of ethics. Treat people with respect and follow-through on your goals. Everyone is running in circles, afraid other groups are doing something behind their backs. It's unprofessional and, as is very evident right now, bad for business.

Amazing place to work

I have been working at Achievers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Leaders care for your personal growth
    Flexibility in work hours
    Supportive team
    Transparency of actions and decisions by management
    Empowered work place
    The list goes on.

Cons

compensation
    long hours be prepared, but you get what you put in.

Achievers is really laid back and has an extremely positive environment.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Achievers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management is amazing–they really work hard to keep employees happy. Training includes two full days of lectures alongside job shadowing, which can get quite boring since content is repeated. Nonetheless, you'll know the company inside out afterwards.

Cons

The company is great in terms of benefits. You're given four vacation weeks, but one of those weeks consists of mandatory half days.

Overall, Achievers is a great company. They really work hard to hire people that fit the culture. Also, the company is so large at this point, in terms of developers, that I feel like there isn't much room for personal growth.

Rewarding Experience as a Software Developer Intern

Current Intern - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Intern - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Achievers as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

My term at achievers was nothing but amazing. Achievers has a knowledgeable development team which is supportive of all of its interns. As an intern for the second half of my term I was given the opportunity to work on a feature team, and was treated as an equal by my peers. The development team has an inclusive and friendly working environment that lightens that fear associated with being an intern at a company. However, besides the experience I gained and my growth, what really made my term stand out was Achievers Culture. Achievers has a great open-concept office that makes working day to day a lot better. The company is built on the concept of Employee Recognition, and they practice what they preach. Achievers encourages the continuous efforts of the employees and fosters an environment of encouraging and friends peers. The company has various social event s and experiences that strengthen the employees individuality and autonomy. If you were to ask any employee at Achievers what they love about their job, they would all reply with the same answer: "Culture".

Cons

Even though during the second half of my term I was able to learn and grow on a feature team, the first half of the term was the exact opposite. The first half of the term was focused around working support and fixing bugs on the platform. This team was just as friendly, if not more, however the work was focused more around learning how the platform worked rather then gaining general programming experience. It was important as interns for us to first learn the platform and how it is structured, I feel our time here was a little over extended and limited our experience with the feature teams.
    The cons at a higher level for the company reside mainly at the executive level. Achievers has a strong team of experience executives, however there is a lack of consistency with communication at the executive level. With any growing company there are changes in culture and goals, and in this time period have clear communication is key. In many cases it felt as if the goals and plans were not communicated clearer by all departments. Achievers has potential to be a huge company, if it is able to hold the support of its employees and maintain a clear line of communication.

As an intern I don't have the experience or knowledge to advise how to lead a company, but from the cons I have witnessed the suggestions I can make are to focus on alignment across the whole company. Within the departments there is alignment on what the company's plans and goals but there seems to be an inconsistency across the departments. An effort needs to be made to ensure the same information is relayed to all departments to avoid confusion.

Great culture, fast paced environment.

I have been working at Achievers full-time

Pros

Culture
    Work life balance
    People
    Office space
    Tons of autonomy

Cons

Compensation
    Feedback
    Defined career growth/path
    Lack of cohesion at exec level
    Benefits do not seem to adapt to changing workforce

Great culture and fast-paced environment

I have been working at Achievers

Pros

Achievers' is a fast paced organization, there's no shortage of things to do and things are constantly moving. Amazing culture, great workplace environment and great people.

Cons

Definitely not for 9-5ers, professional development opportunities are a work in progress.

Great Place to Work Overall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Achievers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Freedom to do my job without being micro managed
    - Nice to be part of a growing company
    - Good perks and great office locations

Cons

- Compensation could be better (RRSP matching, Bonuses, ESOP)
    - There is a lot of "me too" attitude
    - Inter-departmental communication can be improved

- Adjust the compensation plan to match the needs of an older employee base (RRSP Matching please!)
    - Get the Executive Team aligned and stop putting department needs above company needs.

Great place to work with lots of opportunity to try new things

I have been working at Achievers full-time

Pros

Having been here for a while I can honestly say this is the best place that I have ever worked. The growth has allowed me to constantly learn new things and try out roles that I would have never had the chance to try out. The culture of this place is second to none. It is a 'work hard, play hard' culture. While every company says they only hire A' players this place has some of the smartest people I have had the pleasure to work with. Overall the future is very bright for Achievers.

Cons

While Achievers does a great job at recognition, constructive feedback is few and far between. While the Employee Success team (our version of HR) tries to improve things, management seems to ignore all efforts to improve. The executive team does a poor job of setting goals and holding people accountable for their commitments. This causes a bit of friction between departments that are achieving their objectives and those that aren't.

Low salary with no budget movement for employee compensation.

Current Employee - Member Experience in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Member Experience in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Achievers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture with amazing people.

Cons

Horrible salary, no improvement potential for hires coming out of university, hierarchical organization with a lot of income inequality.

There needs to be a structure in place for pay raises, and more transparency in regards to income for the departments. They are paid horribly, are rarely given opportunities for advancement and these departments barely stay engaged with the company. This causes quick turnover rate for their positions and low scores/ratings for this department. For being an HR software company that promotes employee engagement, it should be noted that salary and compensation is also very important when it comes to employee engagement and work ethic.

Achievers Response

Sep 24, 2014Employee Success Representative

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are so happy to hear you are enjoying the culture at Achievers and we couldn’t agree more, our people are simply awesome ... More