Accuvant Reviews

Updated 3 April, 2015
25 reviews filtered by
3.2
Dan Burns

1. Business Partner Relationships > Clients. Consultants are drone foot soldiers, fodder if you will.

Former Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Accuvant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel on their dime
    Fast way to get a resume built
    Chance to build up people networks

Cons

There are plenty....here on the highlights.

* Concur is used for expenses and the expense people are lazy. Expenses are often paid weeks after travel. Expense reports are returned for the most trivial reasons. Once I had one returned for $16 in a travel fee. Why didn't the expense people just fix it, send an email, and release the expense?

* No per diems. All actuals. No exceptions. Bank on 3 hours of expense report time per engagement.

* The most major downside is the managers' bonus is directly tied to the performance of their subordinates. So if you have a manager, sitting in his office and making sure the business relationship is a-ok with the provider of the appliance you are installing, that could care less about the client and they make it obvious. Managers lose bonus money if anyone was on the bench, which happens from time to time. So mine would make us to take PTO if a day of bench time came along. Not cool.

* While there is often good relations among the teams, managers and non-managers might as well live on different planets.

* Never badmouth IBM, Mcafee, or any other vendor with a "business partner" relationship. That is like smack talking God himself. You'll find yourself unemployed real quick. Business Partner > Client.

* Also, you'd THINK there would be a "fast track" for consultants to get ahold of a vendor for support but you'd be wrong. You call the same number and waste lots of hours trying to get support to help you in case of a major problem....and of course, billing the client.

* I left a LOT of hours on the floor and never charged the customer for them because of problems above. I could not sleep at night knowing I burned hours on the phone with the vendor trying to get their system up. Of course, Accuvant has no such problems. Check your ethics at the door on this one.

* Never exceed the SOW. If you do the client a favor and code something or plug in a CAT5 cable that is not in the SOW, be prepared for 10+ salesmen to email you telling you should have submitted a change order. The customer is a turnip, and the blood squeezed feeds their bonuses.

* Some engagements are "remote, which is fine if they can be performed remotely. Piece of advice...webex is for MEETINGS, not carrying out engagements.

* The Fishnet merger went bad for the Fishnet side of the house. Most Fishnet salespeople lost their accounts and regardless what was said, people were fired via attrition. In order to keep the holy “business partner” relationships, people with the correct certifications were kept and those without were shown the door. But there was no “layoffs”.

Advice to Management

Time to clean house. The worst people who are more interested in Accuvant's business partner relationships end up in management. The client is #3 or #4 on the priority list even though that is where the REVENUE comes from. Sales people sell and do not have to deliver what they sell, nor do they held accountable if an engagement goes wrong when the consultant ends up on site with no equipment or needs to perform work NOT in the SOW. Far too many engagements get delayed by months, if not longer, because the sales people have zero idea what they are selling and it's not in their job description to know so. So when the consultant does arrive on site they often might encounter an angry client.

Again...webex is for meetings, not engagements.

2. Security Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Accuvant

Pros

Training and communication are srtong points

Cons

Travel can be hard when not spread out

Rewarding work and lots of travel

Current Employee - Security Consultant in El Segundo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in El Segundo, CA (US)

I have been working at Accuvant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great opportunity to gain experience working with different industries and building solid professional connections.
    - Fun travel opportunities
    - Excellent exposure to different technologies and vendors

Cons

- Training can be difficult to come by. You will need to sacrifice weekends to stay on top of technology.
    - Does not include 401k match or education reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Continue rewarding exceptional contributors and dedicate two weeks a year for a consultant to attend a training course.

Lost its luster

Current Employee - Security Consultant in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Accuvant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Has a team of people that rock and care about being on the front side of the wave

Cons

The labs team was awesome but over the years fell into disarray. Constant reorgs and upper level management meddling ruined the best place to work ever

Advice to Management

Clean house in middle management...

Director of Security Architecture

Current Employee - Director of Security Architecture in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Security Architecture in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Accuvant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Growth: A major private equity firm recently acquired a majority stake in Accuvant.
    - Knowledge: Many companies I have worked at in the past had many talented employees however Accuvant blows all of then out of the water with the number of staff with extremely high technical knowledge.
    - Culture: The culture at Accuvant stretching from the senior management team to junior consultants is amazing. The day to day is a relaxed atmosphere where results matter much more than internal appearance, etc. When working with clients we always make sure to put our best foot forward.
    - Equality: I will never forget our yearly company kick off, where employees from all over the country converge on Denver, when the CEO put an emphasis on equality numerous times. I knew at that point that this is a company I could work at for a long time.
    - Senior Management: The guys who founded Accuvant are great people. To this day they still make time for any employee and when they do make/have that time they are sincere.

Cons

- Growth: I did list this as a positive as well because of the opportunities available during a companies rapid growth. This type of Growth also brings a lot of work which can make things hectic at times. The beauty of it though is the fact that I love the work that I do.
    - Politics: I do my best to stay away from internal politics though because of Accuvant's rapid growth it is to be expected there will always be people positioning for new titles, positions and larger salaries.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. It is amazing what has been accomplished and I look forward to many more years of the same.

7. Strong security focus.

I have been working at Accuvant full-time

Pros

Relationships matter a great deal.

Cons

Company is struggling to decide what it wants to be when it grows up.

Denver Office

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Accuvant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the Denver office, which was a lot different than a lot of the reviews on here, which are from consultants and sales people. Of course sales people are going to be upset when a company lets them go because of poor sales. In the corporate office we had good support, great co-workers and the CEO is great. I haven't liked one more at any other place I have worked. They had lunch catered every month but I think that might be gone now. Since they are a technology company, they had top of the line equipment for users.

Cons

They don't match 401k. Benefits are mediocre at best. HR talks about world class health care, but monthly cost to employees was high and most doctor visits were expensive. Turnover is VERY high. When I left we had about 500 people, and up to 50 people fired, laid off, or quit per month. I heard they got acquired, which means less frills. The company that bought them is only interested in the bottom line.

Advice to Management

I really like the Dans. My advice is to not grow so fast. Consultant turnover is high. Better to slow down a little and get your bearings and become stable and reputable.

Worst customer treatment and most politics I have ever experienced.

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Accuvant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for these guys can be easy because they are so busy admiring themselves you can do almost anything as long as your clients are not too upset.

Cons

Lots of embarrassing situations with customers where you are trying to salvage something for them while Accuvant is trying to pull fast ones. The politics here are beyond anything. Management promotes really bad back stabbing. On my first assignment I asked someone "What is going on here?". The answer was that my manager wanted me to fail so he could look good by saving me -- standard procedure -- don't worry -- just act grateful when he saves you. After a while they let you alone until you become part of another political war between managers. Accuvant is truly amazing.

Advice to Management

Hire your replacements.

10. Great Company to work for!

Former Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Accuvant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Accuvant is a great company that really cares about their employees. Their headquarters is in the heart of downtown Denver with breathtaking views of the mountains. I loved working with everyone on my team and got along with most everyone at the organization. I love that Dan Burns the CEO is so accessible. He treats every employee like they are special, he knows everyone's names no matter how small your role. My direct manager was by far the best I have ever worked for, the kind of manager that makes you want to do a great job. The entire marketing/ communications team is really amazing. For such a large company we had a very small team and were expected to do a lot with a little. Everyone on the team was really good at their jobs and worked hard to get things done. Accuvant really does take care of their employees, the company meeting every year brings everyone together and pumps everyone up, its a really great experience. I left only because I moved across the country but I would work here again if the opportunity came up. Overall I feel very lucky to have worked at Accuvant.

Cons

Our team was really not given all of the resources to do our jobs which meant that we worked a lot of long hours to get everything done. The fact that the management would not get a real CRM tool was a huge negative to working there. Accuvant's benefits could be better, they dont do any 401K matching etc.

Advice to Management

When I first started there they would fly everyone new into town for "Accuvant Essentials" a training program. I thought that this was really great since most of our sales team worked remotely and it gave them an opportunity to really get to know the company and connect. At some point due to budget cuts they stopped doing this and started doing it remotely which I think lead to a lot more turn over on the sales team. My advice to management would be to bring back Accuvant Essentials.

Great place to work

I have been working at Accuvant full-time

Pros

Accuvant has the culture of putting the client's needs first. This is pervasive in all parts of the business. Working here has allowed me to truly make an impact on my clients security posture.

Cons

As the company grows there is a constant need to find talented people, which is hard.
    There is a great deal of information which needs to be learned quickly and the process of teaching new people is not very refined.