Abercrombie & Fitch

2,432 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,341 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• The store is small so it's easy to manage so it's a very laid back job (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 250 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

An OKAY experience

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Flexible Schedule and the ability to meet new people

Cons

Pay and the day-to-day duties never changed.

I love working for this company because of the many opportunities it gives its employees.

Current Employee - Impact Member
    Current Employee - Impact Member

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work here is that they allow you t choose your own working schedule because they are well aware of how flexibility means to its employees.

Cons

Sometimes the store doesn't have enough coverage for the day and we have to stay extra hours to finish everything.

Great working environment

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Fun, fast paced, exciting, cool managers. It was like working on a project in high school. Very laid back and relaxed.

Cons

Not a place to start a career, just go looking for fast money with fun people. It's immature and unprofessional. However for a first job that's not always a bad thing.

Keep it up

Good start point for a career in customer service and/or management.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. You work with young and nice people in a fun environment.

Cons

Not being able to hire quality applicants only based on looks is very disappointing. Unrealistic expectation for higher management.

District Managers should worry more about their people and genuinely try to help their managers grow and provide the right training.

Lots of Pros and Cons - Mainly Depends on the Store/Location

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job is fairly easy. All of your daily tasks are printed out for you in the morning so not a lot of autonomy is required. There are documents for literally every minute detail of the store. The atmosphere is fun and you work with mostly college kids who are usually fun and outgoing. The discount is pretty good and the clothes are getting a lot trendier with a lot less logos so that's a definite bonus. The Manager-In-Training program, if followed, is pretty good at getting you introduced to the company through daily activities, one on one time with your store managers, and conference calls with other new managers. The flexible schedule is nice because you can take 4 day weekends (Fri-Mon) without using paid time off. And while you will work weekends most managers are accommodating if you need time off for something.

Cons

The specific store you work in can greatly impact your experience. Bigger stores get more resources and attention. Low volume stores are really boring and you won't have many people working at a time. A&F doesn't have the best policy for customer satisfaction so you will inevitably get customers who are upset over things you can't control. There is a high turnover rate for part time workers and there is a ton of pressure to constantly be recruiting new staff members. It also can be difficult to take vacation since a lot of the year is blacked out due to the holidays, back to school, etc.

Regional and district managers typically think that everyone should live and breathe A&F, which is fine for them, but to most people this is just a job and I think their lack of understanding creates a divide. I think they could do better creating enthusiasm for the brand with part time workers and managers by coming in with a more open mind and providing more training and constructive criticism presented in a positive light. Too often visits to the store from district managers are more stressful than helpful and stores fall back into the same bad habits after visits are over. (All this depends on your manager, as I've had some great ones too, but the air of negativity is a general trend.)

Why does everyone make this place out to be hell?

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved management. Positive energy everywhere. Sure maybe jeffries is crazy, and the customers can be annoying and gross (who leaves used tampons in a fitting room?) but seriously other than that I loved working for A&F. I worked for multiple stores with various titles as well as corporate office. Everyone I worked with was so friendly and so helpful including upper management.

Cons

The pay is terrible, but for a high schooler college student/ anyone under the age of 19 working part time that is to be expected. If your going to work minimum wage jobs you might as well work somewhere you can meet great people and have fun.

Don't hire attractive management. It makes it too difficult to focus on folding stacks of clothes. If you must hire attractive management, ban the fraternization rule forever.

Good experience for first job

Current Employee - Impact in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Impact in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you do your work and show up and be on time you will get the hours you want. You just have to prove yourself.

The job is not hard at all.
    You receive 50% discount at Abercrombie & Fitch and Abercrombie kids and 30% at Hollister.

You pretty much decide whenever you don't want to work. As long as you update your schedule online before they make the schedule for the next week you should be good.

Cons

Sense of judgment upon others..

Pretty much impossible to get a raise.

You pretty much have to buy new clothes with every season.

Great training, fun staff, terrible company....

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They provide some of the best retail and management training. They also provide some of the best loss prevention training.

Cons

Terrible expectations
    Treat people terribly and live up to popular rumors.
    The pay will never match the job expectations.

I see you're already making some changes. We'll see where this goes.

Fun work environment

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

You get to work with others that are your age.
    Very fun and upbeat work environment.
    You get to wear flip-flops year round.
    And employee discounts!

Cons

They are very strict about your appearance.
    Cant put hair up must be down and natural.
    No eyeliner, must have natural looking face.
    Cannot wear anything black.

Should be more consistent switching out the model and registers because standing in the front of the store for 4 hours not doing much gets tiring.

I enjoyed working as and Assistant Manager because I enjoyed learning about working with associates.

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

International; Travel opportunities; Different every day

Cons

Not diverse; Favoritism; Long hours

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos