Abercrombie & Fitch

2,234 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,234 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back (in 115 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 244 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

Operations lead

Current Employee - Operations Lead
    Current Employee - Operations Lead

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Great management team. Lots of opportunities to work on the floor and behind the scenes.

Cons

Weekends and nights are required. Long hours and sometimes overtime due to staff shortages.

Need to hire more experienced or more mature candidates

I enjoyed the people and environment.

Former Employee - Floor Model in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Floor Model in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to meet other young people who share your interests.

Cons

Many times you are stuck folding and refolding clothes when the store is dead.

Always be kind and respectful towards your employees.

Lots of ups & downs.

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time

Pros

Lots of promotional opportunities, very professional work environment, great people, fun, company perks (like discounts at movie theaters and eateries). The MIT program is a great leadership experience that developed skills and gave me knowledge I was able to carry on to other positions.

Cons

Pay is very low. So much work and extra time is expected of you with pay that low. That can be very frustrating. Also, work culture varies based on leadership and location. I have had great experiences in my current district, but awful experiences in another district.

Consider bumping up the pay. Employees will be more likely to stay with college debt and less likely to feel resentful over a lack of work-life balance during busy seasons.

not the best job, not the worst job

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are the reason I stuck around for more than a few months. I've met a few of my very good friends here. You learn a lot about yourself as far as how much you can handle when it comes to stressful, long days. If you can do this job you have set yourself up with a solid foundation for success in any other industry.

Cons

There is never a set schedule for managers, even though there is a mandatory management schedule it can change at any given time when people don't show up or something comes up. Its hard to plan your life outside of work because things always change in retail. Turnover kinda sucks sometimes, literally 3-4 managers will quit at once.

Giving managers some sort of incentive for working overtime would be nice.

"Model" Cashier, greeter, and back room

Former Employee - Model in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Model in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a fun environment to work in. It is nice having a discount to shop there and the recommended attire is casual.

Cons

The pay and hours were not great but it is typical retail. They do discriminate on who they hire according to the way a person looks, but I don't think that is a big secret. The managers are not required to have their degree in anything related to retail or fashion.

Be more accepting of people who may not look like a model. Require managers to have degrees in related fields.

Okay Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time

Pros

It's a very nice environment to work in. Coworkers and my manager were fun and friendly. It's not so busy so I wasn't so pressured.

Cons

Low pay. Minimum wage of 7.25$ and not enough hours.

Great experience, poor balance

Current Employee - Designer in New Albany, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Designer in New Albany, OH (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun campus environment, great co-workers. You get to work with a lot if people you're age if you're recently out if college. It's a good company to have on your resume. You learn a lot about the good and bad in retail. Recently the company has made some good changes in the right direction, and has become more open to change.

Cons

Work life balance is usually not an option while working here, depending on your team. Poor management. Disorganization and poor communication, make doing my job difficult. Lots of peoples opinion are needed to approve one small thing.

Better training for managers is a must. Most of my managers seem to be where they are just because it's the next step and not because they are gifted or qualified to manage a team. I had 3 managers so far and all of them had poor communication skills.

good place to work highly recommend

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

great place, nice clothes, i like it there

Cons

reeks of cologne all the time

Good, easy work as long as you're keeping busy, managers are always cool

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Providence, RI (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Providence, RI (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You're working with a lot of people your age and you get hours based on how good of an employee you are. Also, you get first look at clearance. I like how it is really easy to talk/joke with a lot of the managers.

Cons

Some of the managers can be really uptight and too specific and constantly make you refold your piles. The customers also tend to be more annoying than at other/nicer stores

The job will be as easy or as hard as your DM wants it to be.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to advance quickly is the biggest benefit of working here..... provided you are good looking and your DM and RM like you. It was good practice for interviewing and speaking with upper management. As with almost all retail your experience will be all about who your boss is and what they expect out of you. I happened to have great bosses that kept giving me opportunities, but that is not always the case. Wearing comfortable clothes was a small perk. Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk. As a manager you get to pick the people that work for you so with enough time at a store you can basically make of team of really cool people.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure that comes along with very poor pay. They say that they pay less because they only promote from within. So expect to make less than your peers at other retailers all the way up the food chain. I would recommend work for A&F to get the title you want, SM for example, then apply to other places that will pay you THOUSANDS more.
    As a general rule you want to be at high volume stores to gets visits and noticed by upper management so you can get promoted faster but that means a lot more pressure than low volume stores and a generally stressful experience. I have heard of managers sleeping at their stores before visits...
    All of upper management came up through the ranks while the company was doing well and they had over double the model coverage. So when they walk in your store they expect it to look like when they were running stores. Its almost impossible because we have less employees in the store than they did.

Stop being jerks.