Abercrombie & Fitch

2,218 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,226 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart (in 47 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back (in 115 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 243 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 76 reviews)

More Highlights

sales associate (model)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

no pressure of making sales, since no commission is being paid, and customer flow is big

Cons

call-in shift is very not considerable, they request you to give whole day available, but they may call you or not. if they don't need you, you lose a day of plan, but if they do need you, you have to be there right after they called.

Model

Former Employee - Model in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Model in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discount.
    Flexible with scheduling.
    Easy going.

Cons

Minimum wage.
    Ridiculous dress code.
    Same music everyday, every hour.

Disappointing and Awful

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, some people working are very nice

Cons

managers are awful, everyone talks about you behind your back, you get absolutely zero hours

I have had a terrible experience working for Abercrombie and Fitch. I am a student at the University of Guelph and when looking for a summer job I decided to check out Abercrombie Kids at Sherway Gardens since it’s close to where I live and I wear their clothing. I filled out an online application and I was officially employed there on April 23rd. Unfortunately, I have been extremely mistreated by the managers at that location as well as some of the other employees. I feel it is an important issue not only for my own justification, but also for the management team to realize they have wronged and need to learn how to rightfully treat their employees.

Abercrombie and Fitch has two positions one can apply for, model or impact. I interviewed for the position of impact and according to their website impacts “maintain merchandise flow, filling, and presentation standards throughout the store and the stockroom”. In the interview I was told that I would be getting at least 2 full shifts a week. I have been employed there for over 2 months and I have only worked for 3 shifts, which totaled up to be 9 hours. I would also like to point out that they weren’t even “real” shifts because they were training. This is all because beginner impacts only receive “call-in” shifts, which I was not told in the interview. In the last two months every time I have a call-in shift the managers tell me not to come in so I have not received any hours from actual shifts. I have addressed to the managers that I would like to work and want more shifts but they always give me the same response that they have hired too many people so no one is getting many shifts.

My first training shift was absolutely horrible. Firstly, at the beginning of my shift I was told to sign in and out of the employee system to practice signing in and out, however, since I was told to sign out right away there would be no record of me working. I brought this up to the manager and she snidely said back, “didn’t you listen to me? I already told you that you’d get paid for these hours”. That was May 4th and I still have not gotten paid for those hours, this issue I’ll expand on later on. Impacts have to use these handheld machines that scan the merchandise, there are many different buttons and selection choices on the screen and I had never used one before. Whenever I would ask a question about it I would get an “ugh” noise from the other employees like I was really bothering them. The manager was particularly mean to me and whenever I asked her a question about the merchandize she would give me this rude look and respond in an annoyed tone. It was my first day I don’t know how they didn’t expect me to ask questions, it is better to ask and do it right than to do something wrong. There was one employee in particular who was very rude to me and the managers are accepting to her behavior. There was a jacket that had been returned and when I scanned the item with the handheld machine it turned blank, I asked her why and she said our store no longer carried that item. I asked her what I should do with items our store no longer sells and she responded with, “just put it in the back”. The back of the store is huge and there are many different compartments so I asked her to be more specific and she walked away. Later on in the day I was working in the back scanning merchandise and then placing it out on display in the store, while I was out on the sales floor a customer asked me to get them a larger size from the back. I had not learned how to get merchandize from the back so I asked the same employee I just previously mentioned who was sitting down eating from a bag of chips and I asked her to help and she responded with “I’m not working right now don’t ask me questions”. The manager witnessed this and tolerated her behavior. I asked the manager if she could help me find the item and she told the employee sitting down to help me. When she found the item for me she just whipped at me and when I said thank you she responded with “whatever”. That entire shift no one talked to me and I tried to talk to people but they would stand in a circle gossiping and completely leave me out. At the point I decided I shouldn’t just quit because of one bad shift and that it was my first day and it should get better.

A month goes by and I do not get a single shift. Every call-in that I get they tell me not to come in. On June 4th I try to sign into the employee website where employees can see their schedules. I tried logging in for 2 days but it wasn’t working. I call the store and the manager I’m speaking to is really confused because she can’t find me in their system, she tells me to come in on Monday and speak to the manager that deals with the schedules. Five minutes later the manager calls me back saying that someone told her I quit. I become very confused and tell her that I never quit and then she says that the previous week I called saying I quit. This manager tells me to come to the store on Monday to discuss the issue with the manager that organizes the schedule. As I said before there are two positions, impact and model. There is a Facebook group for the employees that allow them to give away their shifts. I noticed for the entire month that I was not getting shifts people were posting in the group asking for someone to take their shifts, but the problem is that they are all model shifts. So I go in on Monday to speak with the manager and she tells me that someone working at the store told her that I called saying a quit so they took me out of the system. Just like that. The managers never contacted me personally they just completely took this employee’s word, and this employee is still working there too. . Since the manager would have to put me back in the system I ask if I could be switched over to model, which would be better suited for me since they work more on the sales floor interacting with people. She told me I could be switched over and to come in that Sunday for training.

That Sunday which was June 15th I go in for training and I had a great experience. Everyone was really nice to me and I liked the chance to interact with customers. I was working with another manager I hadn’t spoken to yet and at the end of that training shift he said I could be switched over. I was still listed in the system as an impact and had an impact shift that Friday, he said it could be changed to a model shift and that I could train to be cashier. That Friday which was June 20th I go in and the manger who I had spoken to the previous week who put me back in the system was very confused to why I was there, she wasn’t told I had a training shift. This confusion brings me to my next point. The managers have terrible communication. Whenever I have gone in and told them something another manager has told me they look at me with so much puzzlement and tell me it’s the first time they are hearing of anything I have told them. For example in my interview I told the interviewer that I am a university student living in Guelph and that I could only work for the summer and holiday season. When I was speaking to the manager about how I never get any shifts she had no idea I was only working there seasonally. Furthermore, I do the cashier training shift and when my shift is finished I ask the manager if I will officially be switched to model since I’m still listed as an impact. She then tells me that I cannot be switched to model because impact and model have different qualifications and I fit the position of impact. This is completely contradictory to what she told me the previous week. Moreover, she tells me that the manager who worked with me on my first training shift as a model told her I was “too quiet” to be a model. I have never in my entire life been told that I’m too quiet. I am very out-going and ever since I was 12 years old I’ve been volunteering and I had 900 community hours when I graduated high school. Also, the manager placed me in the front of the store and he never supervised me once, I talked to every customer that walked in.

At this point I still have not been paid for any of the training shifts including the first one, which is over a month and a half ago at this point. I contacted three managers about it and still no paycheck. I went in to the store today July 2nd to speak to the manager again. She tells me that if I want to become a model I need to go through the entire interview process again to see if I really fit the model position. She again tells me that the other manager and the other models have told her that I am “too quiet” and that in order to be a model I need to be more obnoxious. I feel it is very unprofessional of the managers to evaluate my personality with the other models. I also brought up again that I still have not been paid. I resigned from my position as impact because it is terrible working for Abercrombie and Fitch if this is the way they treat their employees.

Impact position/stock associate

Former Employee - Impact Team Member in Etobicoke, ON

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- co-workers are outgoing
    - get to stay in the back and listen to music that isn't the repetitive music on the sales floor

Cons

- lack of hours
    - managers are biased in giving shifts (they play favorites)
    - unprofessional; even if you book time off in advance, they may still schedule you during the time you booked off
    - under constant pressure to perform on time as a impact worker

Unprofessional and more of like a cult.

Former Employee - Model in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Model in Toronto, ON

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People were usually very friendly and interesting. Good opportunity to grow within company if you're finished school.

Cons

The cult attitude of those in higher power. Must spend money to work there as you are required to wear the clothes currently being sold. The smell really gets to you.

You will work far more hours then you'll ever be compensated for!

Former Employee - General Manager in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - General Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You work with cool people! Some of the clothes are nice. You get good job experience as they hire basically anyone for management who is good looking, you don't have to have experience or be remotely intelligent!

Cons

You will be held to incredibly high standards with virtually no hours to complete. Once you don't complete things you'll be yelled at by aging over tanned district and regional managers who are desperately trying to still look 20. They will encourage you to only hire off looks alone, and not care that your employees cannot actually do the job. They are encouraged to promote people in protected classes (Hispanic, black, Asian) who are of course, great looking, and no matter how great a manager you are, you will see these peers advance before you do. You and your workers will work off the clock almost weekly and never be compensated.

Find a new job and save yourself

Not a great work ethic

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's casual, co-workers are fun

Cons

The people are severely complexed - the managers seem to think they belong on international runways. They don't make you feel welcome if you're different - it's definitely not a place for equal opportunities

If you think you're good enough to be a model, you probably wouldn't be in a retail job....

Assistant Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

You meet great people around the same age.

Cons

Unrealistic work load with little support. Unrealistic expectations are set from higher management who have not worked in stores for years. Low wages for the value of work expected. Hard to advance to higher career levels.

Be less strict and encourage the development of managers independently to create new visionaries. Be more truthful with staff and set realistic expectations. Provide more support within the store to help enhance customer experience.

fast paced

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

it is fast paced environment

Cons

it is a stressful job with not much upward grwoth

Easygoing, great for those who want a flexible job and making some pocket change

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Toronto, ON

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Managers and staff were very friendly

Cons

Unchallenging and thus not as much motivation to move up in the company

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos