Abbott Labs

Abbott Labs Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White

Miles D. White

Pros
  • Management does heavily emphasize the work/life balance within departments (in 41 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance challenges, direction of new company (in 14 reviews)

• Large company with a slow bureaucratic administrative paperwork that can be overwhelming (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

ProsChallenging environment, people are treated well, solid company

Constoo much bureaucracy, moving jobs outside of Canada

Awesome Company!!

Database Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsVery accommodating to employees and great pay.

ConsOffice politics can be a drag.

Abbott

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay and benefits were really good. Clean and safe environment.

ConsNone worth mentioning. Overall had no complaints.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

Prosstability and advantages were great pros for company

Consresturctures and mergers created more of a pressured enviornment

Excellent exposure to Project Engineering

Project Engineer (Current Employee) North Chicago, IL (US)

ProsI learned all my project engineering at abbot Labs, as leader in pharmaceutical they have provide master piece training which I am utilizing till today

Consvery demanding position and one is always under stress to compete with ever changing requirements

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider Human Resources as one of Assets on Balance sheet

Great way to launch a career!

ProsNeed to learn the business quickly to survive. This forces you to engage with stakeholders and earn their respect. Global presence with strong brand recognition. Slow and steady wins the race. Abbott is a legacy company with strong traditional values. Integrity is excellent. Trust Sr. Management to operate the business in prudent and pragmatic way.

ConsAlways chasing quick dollars. Afraid of taking calculated risk to get big rewards. Incremental change and not transformational. Communication from Sr. Management downward is often authoritative or non-existent. Lack of innovation. Focus instead on health care acquisition and M&A to survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou only need to be successful 40% off the time to be a great hitter. Take calculated risks and break down division barriers. Operate as a single entity. Rename 'divisions' (implies separation) ... 'business component' (implies a unit of a whole).

Work life balance.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Abbott Park, IL (US)

ProsAverage compensation. Manager flexible with time-off policies. Promote work-life balance but sometimes performance review go the other direction.

ConsNo time for training since time is fully occupied. Getting along with manager is the ultimate way to get attention.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing is fair.

Great pay, great benefits and perks, an overall great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irving, TX (US)

ProsPay is competitive, benefits are great, and that's expected from a healthcare company. Lately management has been transparent in regards to where the company is going, even if negative (ex. cutting costs, outsourcing, etc.). Lots of room to move around if you're an engineer or scientist. Standard daytime operating hours (M-F 8-5).

ConsSome micromanagement, typical corporate bureaucracy, occasional large-scale layoffs, lots of chiefs for so little amount of Indians.

Good place to begin a pharma sales career

Territory Manager (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA (US)

ProsIt has been a long time since I've worked at Abbott, but when I was recruited by the district manager the salary was about the median for a pharma rep at the time. The benefits of course were excellent. I had a territory comprising most of urban Northern Virginia and some of Washington DC, which kept me busy. A company car was provided and AMEX card, all of the trappings of an early 1990s pharma field sales job.

ConsMy district manager was very heavy handed in general-not unusual for those days, high pressure to succeed and exceed goals for my territory. Nothing I didn't expect from a Fortune 100 company manager. There was a very long, three week away-from-home training period when I first started with the company. Tests every night and again lots of pressure. If you deal with pressure well-and I did, you will be fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't give advice to management.

Science

ProsEnvironment, people, weather, parking, equipment

ConsMoving, space, telephone, computer, systems

Worked for Abbott Labs? Contribute to the Community!