AXA Advisors Reviews

Updated 24 October, 2014
3.2

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Salary, plus commissions flexible schedule and the opportunity to meet different people everyday (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, heavy sales focus, no formal training (in 8 reviews)

• And its commission based salaries for the most part so good luck building up that book of business to gain a decent earnings (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

No True Leadership

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can earn your FINRA licensing.

Cons

Without real leadership this group of offices in West LA, Woodland Hills, Irvine and Koreatown will always under perform. Branch managers say they have an open door policy, but don't have time or interest in speaking to you. Divisional Managers lack management and leadership skills.
    You can't hire everyone and spread managers too thin to train the new advisors, Make a mistake and you might receive a rude call from the compliance bulldog. I could never understand a word she said but knew she was not happy. I spent long days learning from those who would give me time but in the end I realized that this group did not care about me at all. I wanted to learn and bee successful and I put in the time, but needed guidance.

Stop looking at this as a numbers game. You hire everyone who interviews and then it is sink or swim. Those with a good network in the area seem to survive and those who don't have a network fail and move on. Take the time to get to know your people and grow them into Financial Advisors instead of being hands off.

advisor

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great place to work good people

Cons

money not great but if you work hard you can make bank

be willing to put in time

make sure you're ready

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great products great company one of the largest finance companies in the world.

Cons

its difficult to get started in this industry make sure you are ready when considering this as a career choice.

growing experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Despite the cons, it's definitely a place where you'll experience the most character development. It'll force you to either give up the comfort of a high paycheck in the beginning or to have you reach out and network with people you never thought you would talk to for life. But through these processes, it's personal growth and relationship building, whether you made a sale or not at the end of the day. Plus as AXA advertises, it's not about selling but about helping, which I genuinely believe it's true otherwise I would've never even stepped in this industry if the company or the industry is not filled with people who are kind at heart. I was there for 6 months but I believe I've seen both the goods and the bads. I still believe given the motivation and passion in insurance and retirement planning and a kind heart, you will succeed. Also you will meet some of the smartest coworkers because they all have good degrees. Despite the fact that most people don't make it, those that do are high-achieving and intelligent.

Cons

It's more on you to make a difference. Not so much relying on the manager or the company to push you. No parking. No base salary in the beginning. A lot of cold-calling before successfully building that referral network.
    Definitely not for everyone.

Lacking professionalism

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The ability to build a network. Learn about front-office work. Flexible hours. Great location in Midtown.

Cons

Office culture: lacking professionalism. Testosterone-filled. Loud, inappropriate banter. Inappropriate dress-code. Unpaid. Indifferent managers who want to maximize profit earning potential. Leaves intern with mundane business development work where the intern does not gain any knowledge.

Treat employees and interns better. Don't hire incompetent employees who spend more time gossiping than working.

If you work hard you will be compensated.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth, Independence, Sales Driven, Pays well

Cons

Not much help, Need to work with others

Give the younger guys more tools for success

Good

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

Biggest financial company in the world

Cons

No warm market, need to find it by your owe

Marketing and Recruiting Intern

Current Employee - Marketing and Recruiting Intern in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing and Recruiting Intern in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I assist the Marketing and Recruiting Director in all aspects of the job. She is an extremely creative and talented social media guru. She has been very trusting in assigning me with important, time-sensitive projects and has taught me valuable skills in all aspects of the job. Schedules are very flexible. State-of-the-art training program prepares new employees to be extremely successful.The branch provides this training for free and hosts weekly training seminars on how to utilize social media to spread brand awareness.

Cons

You definitely have to work hard to be successful, but they provide the stepping stones one would need to prosper here. The hard work literally pays off, you just have to be willing to put the effort in.

It may be beneficial to create a position solely for a Recruiting Director. It's extremely time consuming and difficult to manage all aspects of marketing and recruiting for the entire branch and its detached offices.

As long as you are aware there is no job security

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at AXA Advisors as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good training and the ability to earn an excellent income with hard work. Flexibility in working hours although you will probably work far more hours than in a traditional job.

Cons

You are encouraged to believe that you are starting your own business, but the business is always theirs.
    Selling life insurance and annuities produces renewals that are supposed to be with you as long as the business is on the books and as long as you are vested. There is a small pension, but the allure of the insurance business is that your renewals will be your true pension. The contract you sign says that at some point the renewals become "service fees". Even if you are still servicing the clients and have your licence, you must still must produce new business or they will terminate you and you will lose all "service fees". that you have built up over the years and "your" clients will be given to other agents or retained by the company.

New business should not be required of a representative after an agent reaches 65 and signs retirement papers. . If the agent is compliant and servicing his business he should not be required to go out and hustle new business. Terminating these representatives, not allowing the client to be serviced by their trusted adviser and absorbing their hard earned fees is tantamount to stealing. I would say that you should find a firm that actually lets you keep your clients as long as you are vested and able to service their accounts.

Marketing Internship

Former Employee - Marketing in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Easy-going, non micromanaging and generally friendly working environment. The people are nice and encouraging. Not a bad place to start a career out of school.

Cons

The pay is very low starting. It is hard to get clients and very little to no training is provided.

Know what the job can offer before offering the job.