AXA Advisors Reviews

Updated 22 October, 2014
3.2

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Salary, plus commissions flexible schedule and the opportunity to meet different people everyday (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, heavy sales focus, no formal training (in 8 reviews)

• And its commission based salaries for the most part so good luck building up that book of business to gain a decent earnings (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job for the right person

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training is the best in the industry

Cons

Its a tough job. Requires diligence and perseverance.

Success depends entirely on you

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Create your own schedule
    Control your success
    Flexibility
    Incredible earnings potential
    One of the few companies that will hire you even if you don't have a series 6 or 7 and will sponsor you for the test.

Cons

100% prospecting and sales oriented.
    Must have a large natural market and be willing to tap into that market or be willing to spend an extraordinary amount of time prospecting (cold calling, canvassing, networking).
    Can take a while before commissions start rolling in.

People are very happy and help each other.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of potential and a lot of freedom. Work hard and make a great living or just try to do it and flounder, it is your choice.

Cons

The public is very smart and savvy on how to avoid salespeople, you need to be very creative and genuine.

Keep up the good work

If you don't want to sell insurance, you're going to have a bad time!

Current Employee - Financial Consultant
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

DISCLAIMER: this review constitutes only my OPINION

*Great place to start your career, and they're willing to hire almost anyone (even without your licenses)
    *Will help you get your licenses if you don't have them
    *Great position title if you want to switch jobs later on
    *Flexible work schedule. You work when you want to, but with that said, expect to work long hours if you want to succeed.
    *If you're self motivated, you will do not badly.
    *If you're self motivated, charismatic, and good looking, that is when you will make money.
    *Great coworkers (not including the managers-- see cons section)-- everyone understands the stress and frustrations of working with fickle clients. They will stand by you and help you as much as they can.
    *If you have a good manager, you will probably have a better time. That said, your chances of getting a good manager are pretty slim
    *You do make good money if you're good at what you do.
    *pretty good training: they teach you a lot if you have the time to sit in on all of the meetings
    *good benefits- commissions pay out at pretty high rates
    *our life insurance products are not bad in my opinion
    *Senior Executive Vice President was an amazing leader; I only wish the district managers were the same.

Cons

DISCLAIMER: this review constitutes only my OPINION
    ALSO: this is not a vindictive reaction to being fired; I have successfully hit quota thus far and expect to continue to do so in the future.
    NOW, WHERE TO BEGIN?

*high turnover-- in my time there, I have seen too many people come and go. Because they hire everyone, most people are not actually fit for the job. Chances are you are not fit in the long term either (~90% industry attrition rate)
    *middle management is largely HORRENDOUS; they're driven by greed, which is understandable since this is a sales job at the end of the day, but they don't help you much
    *they bait you with success stories that have you chasing the dream that you are THE one to make it big, but one day the sobering reality will hit that you are probably not the one that will make the big bucks
    *they, in my opinion, bait and switch you (which ironically is an unethical action in the industry)
    Example 1- I was told I would be working in wealth management (which is not completely untrue), but if you want to hit quota, you usually begin by selling insurance (was not told this)
    Example 2- promise of two options when joining the company: option 1 included a salary, option 2 included no salary but larger commissions. When you finish your probation period, option 1 sometimes magically disappears.
    *our annuity products, in my opinion, are not the most competitive in the industry
    Elaboration- products look good on paper, but- in practice- are so-so. Most successful advisors don't sell AXA products (so I've heard)
    *forced to sell before you completely understand the product
    Example 1- sold my family members multiple products that were probably not the best options for them (partner may or may not be motivated by greed/quota pressures e.g. managers)

The list could go on and on.

DISCLAIMER: this review constitutes only my OPINION

My Senior Executive Vice President was an excellent fellow. If only he saw what the managers were like. They're greedy, pushy, and don't care to help. If you're wondering why AXA Advisors has so many bad reviews, look at your middle management. Something is obviously wrong.

Good company. You get out of it what you put into it.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good training with a very helpful staff and management. Strong sales method. If you follow their sales training to the end, you should be successful.

Cons

AXA Advisors tries to position itself and a balanced non-biased financial planning firm. However, it needs to be made very clear that they are in the business of selling life insurance.

Hard to start, big upside

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If you already have a book of business you can really scale

Cons

No salary to help getting started

Give small salaries to employees coming out of college while they build a rolodex of clients.

Hit and Miss

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Phila, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Phila, PA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good product mix to offer customers and there are some decent advisors that are willing to partner with you knowing that it benefits them and the company.

Cons

Ultimately you are on an island. For all the talk of great training, reputation, and support you are expected to do the classic "hit up your family/friends/previous co-workers" to get business and then work on referrals. You will find that on the insurance side that there is a long time frame before you get paid. very frustrating

Take some ownership with the people you bring in the company because the place is turnover-city. Brutal the way people work hard and nobody seems to care if they stay: stop parroting the company line and the formula for success when it really depends upon the partnership of senior advisors working with new people to get them through the first 2 years while they develop their own personal markets.

Good experience, but moving on

Former Employee - Financial Administrative Assistant in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Administrative Assistant in New York, NY (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a good place to start after college. Learned a lot about different product platforms and underwriting process. Was able to arrange time off to travel.

Cons

It feels as though you never "arrived" or accomplished anything since the tasks/processes are continual. Also bad pay and benefits are at the whim of the employer you work for.

An HR department and corporate to invest in administrative support for Advisors. Advisors are great at seller, but more often than not bad at managing.

Bad experience waste of time

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Big company. Not many pros unfortunately. Great location.

Cons

many false promises to get you in. Didnt deliver promises. Left you alone to do business like independent not office support as promised. Push there products not real full service and brokerage as claimed.

Get a new manager. Get new life in the office. Do you really want to grow with new people? or just numbers game.

If it sounds too good to be true, it's probably not true...

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can definitely make a lot of money, if you choose to focus on the life insurance side of the business (which they heavily encourage/promote). It really does feel like running your own business, complete autonomy.

Cons

One of the most challenging career choices one can take on, very high fail rate. You will burn through you savings/ go into debt just to get started since its commission based. Predominated focuses on risk management/insurances.

Don't hire recent college grads since most don't have savings to give them fair chance to get started in the business.