AXA Advisors

Updated 26 November, 2014
3.2

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Creating your own work schedule/ Flexible Hours (This is not a 8-5 job) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, heavy sales focus, no formal training (in 8 reviews)

• I would suggest buying a book of business, starting from scratch can be daunting (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Upstate New York Branches (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany) provide great support for new advisors

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Extremely helpful management team, training is consistent and very useful, income can easily be $100,000+ in first year, love being a part of a team, great benefits, fun work environment, get to help out clients and your work day feels meaningful.

Cons

It can be a lot of hours in the first few years, but this is more of a career that you are building your own financial planning practice. As time goes on the hours become much less. I know the management team here is very selective in who they bring in, so be prepared to show them you are willing to work in the interview process.

Continue with upward mobility for advisors to become managers and build out their own teams.

Financial Planning Career

Current Employee - Financial Professional in Rochester, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Professional in Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Highly Supportive Management Team (Endless, great training!)
    -Ability to make A LOT of money (paid for what you do)
    -Flexible Hours (able to go home, kids games, functions whenever I want)
    -Building a business
    -Teamwork and a great culture
    -The Branch that I work in is a Top 10 Branch in the Country
    -Management is very selective in who they hire

Cons

-Hard To Get Going (took me 2 years to break 100k, which felt like forever)
    -Worked 60-70 Hours Per Week for 3 Years
    -Management Has High Expectations of Associates (this can be a pro I guess)
    -Can be difficult to "get in"

From my experience the management was fantastic. They helped me get up and running and now act more as a consultant for my business. Each of them have been "through the ranks" and have done what the new advisors are expected to do....they have walked the walk, which I appreciate.

Starting a career as a Financial Planner/Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Meadville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Meadville, PA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I can't think of any other possible entrepreneurial opportunity where you can begin with no start-up money and build a business that can pay you for what you did year 1, for your whole career. The management team is extremely dedicated to the success of their Advisors. I started in the business over 10 years ago without a strong natural market and was able to build a financial planning practice where I am able to make my own hours, help the people I really care about, and control my income. The atmosphere is very competitive and team oriented and is excellent for previous athletes like myself.

Cons

If you do not want to work a lot of hours at the beginning of your career, or you do not have the entrepreneurial spirit, this is not the place for you. This is a very demanding business and takes a lot of time to build. There is times you have to invest in yourself and your business, so if you do not want to spend your own money to help yourself grow, this will be a bad fit as well.

Good products, but terrible training

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Some very competitively priced life products. Note that you do not have to work for AXA Advisors to sell their products.
    The company will (eventually) reimburse you for exam costs (series 7, 66) but only after successfully passing and only after successfully securing a contract with the company.

Cons

Securing a contract consists of bringing in a minimum amount of business in before you are an official employee. Whereas other insurance-oriented companies will provide training and a starter salary, AXA provides little and none of the same. Training varies wildly from manager to manager, and many managers are not very qualified to train in the first place, as they are usually not the top talent. Instead, for being willing to take on new candidates and hires, they have something of an advantage in gaining your clients when you fail to make numbers, which you must do each quarter - otherwise, you are fired. Yes, despite all of your pay coming in from insurance/annuity commissions, you WILL be fired if you cannot make numbers, despite the llack of training or new business leads from AXA.

AXA was apparently once known for training new employees well. Now, with training done so abysmally, anyone who succeeds at AXA would likely have found success at any run-of-the-mill insurance company. The fail rate of new hires at this company is spectacular - probably comparable to Edward Jones.

Internship

I worked at AXA Advisors as an intern

Pros

Internship program was a lot of fun, but didn't provide much insight into how being financial advisor would be.

Cons

Doesn't portray the financial industry at all for someone trying gain experience.

Advisor

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place, great people. Large corporation.

Cons

Drink the koolaid/Amway type of atmosphere

For their first year, bring new hires into meetings to learn the ropes instead of having them bring in their own market in for meetings.

Just an ok experience thus far.

Current Employee - Financial Consultant
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some pro's to working with AXA. I would say a major pro for me is being able to offer all services as a financial advisor. They lean a little more towards insurance products but thats natural for a company like AXA that specializes in Life Insurance and Annuity products. Decent and competitive Life Insurance products, good annuities for the right situation.

Cons

Despite AXA having a good Life Insurance product lineup their underwriting department is absolutely horrendous. I have never dealt with such a disorganized and unprofessional department in all my life. Compensation with the all commission route is really not that competitive and great. When you compare what they pay you vs what an independent advisor gets paid ..it really doesn't fit the bill for your tiny cubicle and what not. Middle management can be greedy, have conflicts of interest on what you sell and some of them are totally inexperienced and dont know what they are are talking about half the time, really just depends on your luck.

Stop with the constant negative reinforcement to your FP's and FC's when they have a down period and are struggling with numbers. Really just takes the wind out of a lot of people's sails. Stop district managers from micromanaging and calling employees during off business time. Own mistakes when they are made rather than deflecting. Fix problems with the underwriting department immediately.

Great training for new financial advisors but it is a very hard job

Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Pitt, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Pitt, MN (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training is very good and ongoing

Cons

Need to provide more leads for new reps and pair them up with seasoned producers. Do not take this job unless you have 5-8 years where you can stomach 3-4 nights a week and 50-70 hours weeks. Your average the first few years could be 30-50k and you will need to have money in the bank to get thru tough months. If you make it this is one of the greatest jobs you can have - but only 10% make it.

Be honest in the interview process.

Nice people

I worked at AXA Advisors part-time

Pros

Nice people and relaxing culture

Cons

No team work and crowded working environment

Growth, development, rewards.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AXA Advisors is the place for you if you care for things like autonomy, mastery and purpose. I love being able to set my own calendar and focus on brave goals with the great help of our manager. Success comes inevitably if you learn to follow your calendar and keep performing your best every single day. A great place to play an Entrepreneur role in a world of financial services. This gives me an opportunity to be my own business owner and represent myself to the clients as my company. Which is a great advantage and another great trait in the financial world.

Cons

The Entrepreneurial part might be as good as it might be bad. For example you gotta pay rent for your own cube and/or assistant and stuff like that. Personally I do not mind that at all but putting it in 'Cons' is my gesture to all those who might not appreciate this fact as much as I do.

“Try not to become a man of success. Rather become a man of value.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    My advice would be to stay supportive but keep reminding other reps their true duty as a Financial Advisor.