AVG Technologies

Updated 25 February, 2015
Updated 25 February, 2015
3.7

Gary Kovacs

Pros
  • goog salary in beijing good manager good salary (in 7 reviews)

• The people are great, benefits are not so good and very limited work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Company culture is extremely toxic - lack of clear direction from top-management and lots of office politics in middle-management (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance could use a lot of work (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting and challenging through out the day

Current Contractor - Help Desk Agent in Ottawa, ON
    Current Contractor - Help Desk Agent in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at AVG Technologies as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-The people who work here are amazing
    -Opportunity to travel
    -Decent pay coming in
    -Fun atmosphere
    -Room to grow

Cons

-Needs more structure
    -You start on contract with no benefits and just get renewed with no promise of being permanent after set time
    -Pay doesn't go up from when you start, it seems to be stuck at one level with no increases despite reviews (team wide)
    -Pay has not even increased for inflation so every year we actually make less and less and especially as minimum wage goes up

-Review our compensation procedures, we start off decent but after 2-3 years in a company and after reviews no one gets a pay increase and no increase for inflation either.

A breath of fresh air. A company that understand common sense. AVG is a great company.

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people at a company make all the difference. AVG treats it's employees with respect and dignity. It's fun to work with people that have a sense of humor and that are really good people. Being paid properly and having a budget also helps.

Cons

As with all public companies, nothing happens as fast as we would like. I'm still working on this. It better than the government. Being in support is sometimes tough as the hours can be extremely long.

Recognize the dedication that employees are providing. Provide more staff so we can share the load. I really enjoy working directly for someone with so much experience and intelligence.

Solid company to work for, lot's of room for growth if you have the initiative to succeed. Great Staff!

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package and salary; structured reviews and performance feedback. There is lot's of room for advancement in a fast paced environment if you have the drive to excel. Lot's of company social events such as barbecues etc.

Cons

The company is in a transition and acquisition phase and a lot of restructuring is currently occurring.

Some sort of employee recognition program would be nice so that employee's are compensated for working above and beyond.

Exciting new direction and products for the company

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The CEO has a great vision for the company. Good compensation, standard health benefits, good training opportunities and career growth potential.

Cons

A fair bit of office politics. As with most large companies decisions often take a long time to be made.

Try to keep the environment creative and agile by relaxing the bureaucracy.

Great company with modern thinking and friendly, smart people.

Current Employee - Junior Test Engineer in Brno (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Junior Test Engineer in Brno (Czech Republic)

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

AVG provide good environment for working, career and personal growth.

Cons

AVG needs to complete Agile transformation also in high management levels.

Expect you to deliver 100% yet give you little to no direction or tools to achieve set goals or develop

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health Benefits, Set Hours, Company Name, Company background , Know logo, Established customer base, Known in their channel, Work days, Holidays off

Cons

No roles or structure for advancement you are what you are, Don't give you a clear line of sight on how to achieve the goals they set, We ask for tools that we never receive, It's like we are expected to make tools on our on, Pay is not on track with other companies similar to other companies in the market, The goals are so high they are hard to hit and often goals are set when the month or quarter is already up, but are held accountable for missing them, Not really a "fun" environment, managers are not focused on employee moral! Employees constantly feel like their walking on thin ice. Management hears what we need but views it as complaining and instead of fixing issues, holds us accountable for voicing our opinions

Provide Goals in a timely manner, Create more structure around each role. Provide more tools when asked for, and in a timely manner, Listen to the employees at the ground floor, Provide more structure this company has been around to long to be this unorganized, Help drive employee moral, managers get focused on numbers and don't focus on employees enjoying what they do. At this point its more a there's the door type environment.

Sweet office near Caltrain

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Like I mentioned before, there is a great open office converted from an old warehouse with brick interior and exterior.
    Catered lunch
    Accessible and passionate executives

Cons

Constant turnover, which is normal considering the Bay Area market.

Ok place to work but upper managment needs to follow a road map

Former Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good technology, great co-workers, catered lunches and snacks.

Cons

Good people keep leaving, either they quit or groups of people get laid off on change of direction but the change of direction keeps changing causing the employees to feel that there is no directions.

Stop the fighting at the upper managment level....

Fun team, difficult company

I worked at AVG Technologies

Pros

There was a strong, positive office culture with interesting problems. The pay was good and benefits adequate.

Cons

There seemed to be constant conflict between offices and no unified long term vision at that time. Vertical integration meant that critical responsibilities were held by people with conflicting priorities and in different time zones.

More than I expected

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prague (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prague (Czech Republic)

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People are very professional, driven, but still friendly. The idea about the responsibilities I was given before I joined was accurate, and although it is a bigger challenge than I expected, I really like it here. All the people that I work with (and it's a lot!), are really helpful, even where I would not expect it really.
    The remuneration is good, benefits are wide, the working environment and culture is really nice.

Cons

Given the size of the company I think the organization structure could be simpler. Even after months I am discovering new people that I should take into account.