AVG Technologies

www.avg.com

AVG Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Gary Kovacs

Exciting new direction and products for the company

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)

ProsThe CEO has a great vision for the company. Good compensation, standard health benefits, good training opportunities and career growth potential.

ConsA fair bit of office politics. As with most large companies decisions often take a long time to be made.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep the environment creative and agile by relaxing the bureaucracy.

Interesting company, in need of strong leadership

ProsThe people are great, benefits are not so good and very limited work life balance.

ConsLack of strong management across the company

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder on developing the company, focus on world class products

Great people, strategy not clear

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brno (Czech Republic)

ProsGood opportunities to learn and grow, interesting work content, very good salary and benefits. People in the company are really great, they are the biggest asset of the company.

Consstrategy is not clear and therefore each department sets its own goals. As a result there is competitiveness between departments.

Advice to Senior Managementwork as a team

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

International fast growing environment and teams

ProsDynamic, quickly growing company
    Multicultural environment, nice people to work with
    Interesting international projects and both horizontal and vertical growth opportunities

ConsSometimes too dynamic and pretty busy;)

Great balance between small company and big corporation

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Prague (Czech Republic)

ProsYou can take advantage of big internation company and in the same time there are not negative aspects of big corporations. There is freedom to work on new things and explore new areas. Company cares about professional development. The environment is very friendly and it is easy to work when you have friends around you.

ConsThere are many changes constantly which are not well managed. Employees don't have sufficient information about company direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the employees, talk to them, listen to them. You can get much more from employees.

Good company, great people but a company in transition.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Prague (Czech Republic)

ProsExcellent friendly and smart people, lots of scope for personal initiative if you're good and eager, good salary. Good product portfolio and a forward-looking strategy.

ConsCurrently in transition, so will take a few months to settle down and allow the new strategy to work best. But this also means there are further opportunities for the adventurous and hardworking sort.

Commission based quotas become impossible to acheive

Sales (Current Employee) Newton, NC (US)

ProsExcellent group of people to work for and with in my particular office. Excellent benefits package and group outings.

ConsVery secretive company, the everyday employees never have a clue whats going on above them. Roles have changed multiple times with little or no warning. Commission based quotas are increased every month if you have a successful month to ensure you never hit 100% of bonus quota. We often do not receive monthly sales quotas until after the 20th of the month.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with employees. Set an aggressive but achievable monthly sales quota.

Inspiring environment

ProsQuick pace, many opportunities, growing business

ConsLong hours. Work/life balance seems to be an issues

Diamond in the rough

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing brand, built out of goodwill by giving away anti-virus for more than a decade. Great offices, amenities, social outings and local team building. The company offers some of the best benefit packages in the industry.

ConsThe business is managed by fear propagated by minimal or no communication on where the company is headed, a problem that has existed for some time.

Information is held tightly by the global senior management team, few below that level know what is happening in the company or coming next. People are simply not trusted or seen as a driving force for growth within the company. Merely workers.

Echoing the statements of other reviewers, basic management tasks can be a real challenge, as finance, legal, IT, and hr teams are not accountable to results tied to business metrics. The inability to deliver the basics to teams, such as comp plans as described by another reviewer, makes management look bad to teams, affecting morale, diminishing results for the company. While the company offers a strong benefit package, it micromanages everything else, and is particularly stingy around compensation related items.

Innovation or anything that doesn't follow the "we've always done it this way" mantra is struck down by powerful forces few at any but the most senior management levels can strike down. Bull in the china shop nor smooth political work-overs solve these problems. The people in this company are fearful of losing their jobs, and have been for an extended period of time.

I was hopeful when the new CEO joined and made customer focused changes, such as the exit from third party search, however since then he has made no meaningful progress I can see around the above topics almost 1 year in. If anything, things have worsened as teams focused on protecting their jobs have tightened political control over their resources, teams are simply not empowered to get their job done. More time is spent lobbying internally to accomplish day-to-day basic tasks than is spent outwardly facing the customer, serving the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs my headline says: this company is a diamond in the rough. The brand is still strong, the growth in user base as illustrated in earnings calls is strong. What is not, is the team spirit inside of the company, without people, empowered people, the company will not succeed. The fear factor and general sentiment inside the business is on a strong downward slide and only getting worse. Radical change in compliance related departments and at the departmental leadership level is required to solve the problems this company has. Share more information. Spend more time with people. and agreeing with a prior review, hire a strong COO that has a proven business transformation experience, the new CEO is doing what a CEO should - focus on the external view of the company. He is not a business leader or builder, and the people see that clearly after a year working with him.

Too much work with no realistic goal setting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are unique, interesting and fantastic characters

ConsNo transparency in company decision making creates a lot of tension

Worked for AVG Technologies? Contribute to the Community!