ASDA

Updated 20 January, 2015
3.1

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • 10% Discount benefit as well as all the flexibility and development opportunities (in 23 reviews)

• Flexible hours (when it suits the management) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Ordinary colleagues left to deal with mess made by mangers and section leaders (in 13 reviews)

• As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Project Manager

I have been working at ASDA as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good Place to work any time as well

Cons

Average place to work any day/time

dsf 2qwe s

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good better best fine hot

Cons

big good better spicy new young

1dasfd as

Asda

Current Employee - General Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - General Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Hrs suit family life
    Job security

Cons

Pay could be better but not worsed.

Treat everyone the same.

Ok job

Current Employee - Grocery Colleague in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Grocery Colleague in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's easy work, colleagues and section leaders are really nice and more like friends than colleagues, good break times during long shifts, flexible hours, rewarding when you help a customer, pay is okay, double time or time and a half pay if you work bank holidays/weekends etc, safety shoes are provided if you ask for them, opportunity to learn other deparments, training provided

Cons

Job can be repetitive, on feet for 9+ hours some shifts especially if you work in grocery, lots of heavy lifting involved if you work on shop floor, have to deal with inconsiderate customers sometimes, managers can be distant, equipment like top stocking ladders and flat beds are rarely ever replaced, more comps needed for split etc, not enough warehouse staff so people from other departments have to do warehouse tasks,

Maybe put rotas online or email rotas to colleagues as it is hard to find out your shifts if you're not in the day that the rota is out, give all colleagues work phones so they can contact section leaders etc when needed instead of running around shop looking for them, train colleagues properly on how to use price guns, provide some training days like to scrub up on things or refresh colleagues memory, offer full time contracts more often to colleagues instead of for example giving someone with a 10 hour contract a 40 hour contract one week then the next back to 10.

Not a hard job but not a rewarding job

Former Employee - Checkout Operator in Middlesbrough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Checkout Operator in Middlesbrough, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA

Pros

The job itself was easy. Although they claim training is provided and that you sign documents to say you have been trained you very rarely are, you may sit down and watch a video and do a test were you are given the answers thats the closet to training you get.Must of the time to meet the demands of the business you have to brake the rules and safety procedure. Another positive is that you get a discount card.

Cons

Holidays are hard to get and most of the time you have to find your own cover. When you do take a holiday it is hard financially because most of the time you do more hours that you are contracted for so your holiday pay is considerably less.

Treat staff better. Tell them when they are doing well and do not favour other people just because they are your friend after work Do not expect people to be as flexible as you because they do nott near as much as you do.

Good company to work for. Perfect if studying at college /university or part time but couldn't support a family's wage.

Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of overtime. Great social aspect to the job. Opportunity to progress with a career if that's what you want.

Cons

Very school like playground management style. No authority figures just long serving colleague on a small pay managers salary.

Stop employing jumped up colleagues as managers when they don't have the credentials to manage a team. Look for outside influence rather then sticking with the tried and tested knowledge.

Great place to be a colleague, tough life if you want to progress

Former Employee - Section Leader in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Section Leader in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at ASDA

Pros

Great benefits. A lot of folks have been with asda a long time so there's a strong sense of belonging. As a colleague you are well looked after with plenty of options available to you for shift swaps, 'me time' (unpaid days off). In my store there's always plenty of overtime available and I believe this is the same for most stores.

I would recommend working here as a colleague.

Cons

Recent restructure of management has seen the opportunities to progress beyond Section Leader diminish. It is however far easier to become a Section Leader and due to the need to fill all positions in the last 6 months, there has been an influx of inexperienced people stepping up (think straight out of school and never had a job, let alone worked in retail) leading to increased pressure on those of us who are experienced, as we have to keep them above water as well as doing our own job.

When area managers come to visit there is a mad rush to get the shop looking its best, quite often with managers/section leaders putting in extra hours to bring up the standards. In my opinion, senior management should see how our stores look on a typical day, with the budgets and resources we have.

There has been a recruitment crisis in the Aberdeen area recently, mainly due to the fact that you can get an entry level position in an oil industry office and get paid more than in a supermarket. Again this has led to the employment of many who otherwise wouldn't get through group selection, simply because they are an extra pair of hands.

Spend time on the shop floor with the colleagues. Work alongside them. See what they are really doing everyday, not what the store manager wants you to see. Don't turn store visits into a farce. If the shop is anywhere near perfect at 5pm on a Friday, it because a certain group of people have been there since 5am and bust a gut trying to get everything done.

And regarding visits.... Don't announce when your coming, just randomly turn up and go around the shop discreetly. You'll see far more truth.

Making the best of my decision to work here

Current Employee - Checkout Colleague in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Colleague in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- I have met many friendly colleagues who work in similar roles that I do, who are genuinely nice and helpful. Some of them are still optimistic and perhaps more thick skinned than I am. They do an amazing job, are still pleasant to talk to and are optimistic and ethical, hard working. I applied for Asda because the employees seem happy, so I presumed they are treated well as employees. Now I know that it's part of their personality. Not situational.
    - After 3 months of working here, I got my discount card which is appreciated
    - Benefits
    - I haven't been asked to do too much overtime, but that's because I mentioned to them my health issues at interview as well as had a telephone session with occupational health as I realised I would need to look out for myself
    - Sometimes, management can be professional and compassionate, but it really depends on how the person is, has nothing to do with any leadership training or understanding that people need to be treated with respect
    - I'm earning money after being out of work for a year
    - I work part time so have days to recuperate
    - Interview was friendly, if a bit non representative of real working environment
    - Windows in the store. Huge ones. They allow us to get real sunlight. One of the main reasons I chose this role over John Lewis.
    - Learning curve for me about work in retail - how to discern between truth and embellishment, and about lowering expectations.

Cons

- Checkout colleagues have no idea what's going on since they are not allowed to join the company huddles (meetings) when they occur. In fact, I had gone into work early one day and joined one and the store manager was UNHAPPY and mentioned it was strange to see a checkout colleague at a huddle!
    - Company values about respect for individual do not seem to be reflected in the way I have personally fund management to behave
    - Management is stressed and overworked, which has been taken down to section leaders. They always seem so stressed and overworked... and then it goes onto the shopfloor staff. I hold compassion for them, yet surely effective leadership training (LDPs) would benefit all.
    - Ineffective to no communication
    - We are just numbers... I try my best to not allow it to get to me, but I don't feel valued
    - Variable moods of customers and management. I feel that there have been times I have been talked down to by management, and its unfair as I am reasonably sane and intelligent
    - We haven't got proper chairs on checkout, and it will affect our spines and health. I choose to stand because it feels less dangerous than sitting on broken chairs.
    - Very minimal and poor training, expected to learn on the job. Only one day of watching training videos. Which is true, yet it affects service in store. I had a customer shout at me for not knowing my job. She was right. I didn't have training to help her in that instance.
    - A lot of things are not on the system, customers constantly ask me to check if something is on special offer as advertised, because they are so used to having something being advertised on offer, but not on offer at the till
    - We don't have fridge freezers on the till, so A LOT of meat and other food goes as waste. I feel sad that customers do not value food at all, or choose to put it back themselves if they change their mind and that we are under-staffed so the runners cannot always be putting back food.
    - I filled in a survey regarding my opinions around a month or so ago. Was an opportunity t speak up, but as it was towards the end of my shift and I didn't have time to plan my responses, perhaps not entirely representative of my views.
    - The term "overspending on wages". Understaffing affects service and the holistic health of those colleagues who are encouraged, persuaded or choose to take overtime. Loads of it.
    -Customers come first, then the company, then management... which doesn't seem to tie in with an egalitarian view I held.
    - This might just be particular to my store, but it seems that management are not too concerned with the sometimes less than professional attitude of certain colleagues, even when it's flagged up. I get a few colleagues who make me feeel uncomfortable working there, so I have forced myself to ignore them when I am genuinely a friendly person.
    - It seems my store is not the only one with similar issues, which is why I finally chose to write this review
    - I do not feel happy or valued here, and therefore due to situational reasons will not be able to continue for very long, as my mental health is beginning to suffer due to stress and disappointment. Being forced to resign is a con in any workplace. Welcome to the real world, I guess

- Please have all management go for a Leadership Development Course which explains the four archetypes of leadership: donkeys, foxes, sheep and owls.
    - Better communication
    - Upgrade the checkout systems
    - Please put your employees a close second to the customers. That is true leadership
    - Please allow for support and growth for all employees. We are extremely intelligent and talented.
    - Please hire the right people for management and section leaders. Sometimes it seems as though there aren't enough in the pool of eligible candidates and that's why you've hired the people you have, but surely that can't be true.
    - Please give a week's full of training!!! It is needed and worth it.
    - Lots more, but most of it is utopian and idealistic :)

Not bad

Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Paisley, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Paisley, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Short shifts - goes in quickly
    Lots of overtime if you need extra cash
    Can get trained in different departments/sections
    Most of the ordinary staff are nice and friendly
    Good pay
    Discount card
    Get paid time and a half/double time on bank holidays

Cons

Not asked if you want more shifts/to change times etc. - just happens, means you can't plan ahead much
    Double/triple shifts instead of splitting them over 2/3 days - tiring, not what I expected from a part time job
    Very repetitive and scripted - asking people if they need bags all the time before getting to chat normally
    Management can be a bit unrealistic - who cares what shoes you have on if you're sitting with them under a desk all day?
    Unsociable working hours
    On probation for 6 months - job security issues

Need to ask people to do overtime, after all that's what contracts are for.