AMRI

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

William S. Marth

Pros
  • There are some really good people here, but they get overshadowed by company culture as a whole(in 5 reviews)

• He is a sound businessman, unlike his predecessor who was a mere hard working scientist at best(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salary and long hours causes a high turnaround for this organization(in 7 reviews)

• No concept of work/life balance, your life needs to revolve around your job(in 4 reviews)

Worth It..Very supportive people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery good work ethics,proactive people and well cultured

ConsJust a lot of calls and hectic due to being offshore

Provides a living.

ProsGood benefits. Good co-workers. Fun environment if you work with the right group of guys.

Consstandard 2% raise per year, very weak yearly bonus if any at all.

Advice to Senior Managementpay could be better for the hazardous work.

You will never materially advance nor be rewarded for having the company's back. It's just not that kind of company.

Dedicated Soldier (Current Employee) Albany, NY (US)

ProsGreat technical experience. Lots of great equipment. Great river views from the second floor. Exceptionally nice colleagues from all over the world.

ConsMeaningless performance evaluations; Complete waste of everyone's time. Hard work/ownership not valued/rewarded. Poor work not punished. Laziness condoned. PhD's hired to do mundane Associates Degree work. Embarrassingly lame mid-level management. They and the level above have no tools to motivate people. Fear of loss of job is all they have. Everyone is treated exactly the same, regardless of talent or industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's obvious that a calculation was made to NOT take an active role to manage/optimize the most expensive aspect of your operations. It's managed by attrition. It appears to be fairly effective unfortunately. I'm surprised that it's worked so well, but the awful Obama economy makes it possible. Fortunately, I'm able to motivate myself and the balance sheet still works for me personally. It's heartbreaking to have witnessed the exodus of so many insanely talented, effective people over the last few years. They made the company strong. You're less so now, but like I said, that's the course you've decided upon. I think if things grow as you hope, a case can be made that experienced lab folks would be a HUGE asset. Please dispense with the performance evaluation process every year. It will benefit your group leaders/supervisors. They have no time for it. It should be like a flat tax return, one page or even pass/fail. Pretty hopeless, which is quite discouraging, but most weeks I can rise above all this and know that sometimes doing the right thing is its own reward. Finally, it doesn't take a great deal of money to keep people's head in the game. If it were my company, I'd want people to be willing to take a bullet for me (figuratively, of course). That'll never happen here due to the approach you've taken. Not only does it not cost a great deal of money to motivate people, you don't even have to mean it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent

ProsReally great people to work with.

ConsNot a competitive salary...many people are looking for other opportunities

New management but still terrible

Research Scientist I (Current Employee)

ProsEffective Jan 1, 2014, William Marth is now CEO. He is a sound businessman, unlike his predecessor who was a mere hard working scientist at best.

ConsEffective March 1, 2014 AMRI is now asking employees to pay more for health insurance. AMRI is immune to healthcare policy changes because they're self-insured. Ultimately AMRI is cutting employee benefits when salary is still abysmal.
    Pretty much all employee support system is in dismay (HR, IT, Maintenance, Janitorial, etc).

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has a lot to benefit from actually having a short conversation with the people who actually do the work. While this is a prevalent problem in many companies, AMRI management just couldn't care less.

Looks good on the surface...

ProsLearned a lot
    Like my co-workers

ConsOver-worked, Under-appreciated, Under-paid

I was told there would be room for growth...when opportunities were available, I was over-looked

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth
    A little goodwill goes a long way
    Appreciate every employee you have

Learn a lot; did a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burlington, MA (US)

ProsVery good place to learn for new people like myself. Get exposed to different things, you wear different hats.

ConsVery low pay but demands long hours. If you dont work 50-60 plus hours, you are slacker. There is no chance of advancement until and unless you are buddy buddy with somebody or they need to fill some spot (even if you are not fit for that spot). Very bad culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo demand so much from your employees, please see what you are offering to them. Please know that you have to treat your employees well to get back what you want. It is not like there is only one company to work for. Please be open and respect your employees.

Have been with AMRI for more than 6 years.

Senior Research Scientist I (Current Employee) Albany, NY (US)

ProsConstant challenge working environment. You learn a lot in the work. Good colleagues.

ConsVery bad management team. No training and no future. Low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people hope for promotion and/or pay raise. More training for employees.

Treats analytical scientists with disdain and contempt

Research Scientist III (Former Employee) Rensselaer, NY (US)

ProsExposure to instrumentation, exposure to production support.

ConsApalling training program, blatant disregard/disinterest in scientific advancement, rife violations of employment discrimination laws, disproportionately low wages,

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave.

Get the experience and LEAVE

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Albany, NY (US)

Pros- Good people (some more than others).
    - They took me in during this bad economy and offered me good work experience.
    - ... nope, I got nothing else..

Cons- Low pay.
    - Depressing setting. Honestly, this is really a bummer because everyone knows how shitty the company is to give a crap.
    - HR sucks. Big time. They don't listen, I am starting to wonder what they actually do...
    - No raises. I received some chuckles and laughter when I even mentioned the word.
    - No opportunities for growth.
    - Long hours (Being salaried sounds nice but when you are worked like a dog then that amount only seems so meager).
    - Low pay.

Advice to Senior Management- I have no advice. I am extremely sorry but you have disappointed me AMRI. I really feel bad writing this because I don't like to talk bad about anyone/thing but you have really let me down. My advice for people wanting to come to Albany, please think long and hard. The capital district is in terrible shape. The atmosphere of Albany is quite dank and the company is equally bad if not worse. You would have a bad working life and not look forward to do anything outside of work either. But if you have friends and family here and need the money and don't care about getting raises, job security, being treated like scum, then this company will welcome you with their greedy hands. I'm done.

Worked for AMRI? Contribute to the Community!