ALDI
www.aldi.com Essen, Germany 500 to 999 Employees

ALDI Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014
ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

Hartmuth Wiesemann

Pros:
  • "Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership"
    in 56 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance for a Manager is almost non-existent"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

VERY GOOD COMPANY WITH GOOD PAY AND BENEFITS

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at ALDI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI was a store manager,and I was very impressed with their training and the system in place that Aldi developed to run their stores.You worked hard and you were always busy,but I liked that because I always felt very productive and the days went by fast.They paid very well (but you definitely earned it)and there were good benefits.Great employees and positive atmosphere.

ConsWish they would promote more from within the company.District Managers were hired & trained seperately,so you couldn't advance from the store manager position.I was promised something by word and a handshake by upper management....but when things didn't go the way that they wanted,they didn't give me the deal that was promised.Seem to care a little bit more about the bottom line/profit,than their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within/especially allow store managers to be promoted to district managers-after all,they already have so much knowledge at the store level.Think about giving store managers a bonus based on sales volume increases,employee productivity,etc.Last,but definitely not least,care more about your employees,and when you promise them something,make good on that promise.

Hard work, lots of responsibility and autonomy, great people.

Deputy Manager (Current Employee)
Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at ALDI part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGet to experience all aspects of retail management and operations. Plenty of opportunities for training and advancement if you are willing to show your commitment and proactivity. Aldi expects you to take ownership of everything you do and gives you the freedom to do it your way, as long as you consistently deliver results.

ConsPhysically very hard work, most shifts you end up sweaty and filthy. Aldi demands high levels of efficiency and productivity, which can be stressful when unpredictable problems or demanding customers cause you to fall behind schedule.

store manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 5 years

Prosbenefits, paid vaca,great pay,fast paced,closed holidays

Consmicro management,in consistanties,bosses with no to little management experience

Great

Shift Manager/Cashier (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, stayed busy, off on holidays, close at decent time.

ConsThey always expected more, you couldn't really have a life outside of Aldi, they wanted you to make them your main priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementGetting a "job well done" every once in a while would have been nice, instead of being told, "I think you can do better"

Excellent place to work if you're willing to put in the work

Store Associate (Current Employee)
Oak Ridge, TN (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time for less than a year

Pros-Good starting wages and benefits
-If you're a good worker the Store Manager will give you the earlier shifts, which results in getting off early (haven't had to close in about a month).
-They Store Manager will also help you to get promoted (which is in the works now).

ConsI have the fastest ring time in the store and by far faster than anybody else, and no compensation for it. The hours can fluctuate depending on how well the store is doing unless you are a Store Manager or MT.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your employees that have the fast ring times, I have been at the top since the store opened and I just get a good job every once in a while. Other than that, I am happy with the store and the direction I am headed with the store!

Aldi has been a great place to work in my experience, a perfect part-time job for college students

I have been working at ALDI

ProsFlexible hours and above average hourly rate for a part time job

ConsThe duration of the shifts is not flexible, every one is at least 8 hours
The work is hard, you definitely earn your high hourly wage

It's a great company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ALDI full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat pay. There is always room for advancement.

ConsAldi is very demanding pysically and mentally.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great job for young people.

Shift Manager/Cashier (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at ALDI full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStore manager was great to work for. Loved most of my co-workers. Decent pay, benefits. Can get more hours traveling to other stores.

ConsHighly stressful environment. Customers don't understand the process and make your job harder. Environment varies widely from store to store.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring District Managers straight out of college. Most of them don't have any common sense.

Interesting company. Pay is ok but not for all the labor you do.

Shift Manager (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDefinitely get paid more than most grocery stores.

ConsFew people work each shift, which means you will end up working like a slave.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more teamwork and have understanding for your employees.

I loved my job and the responsibility that came with it.

District Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent pay and benefits. I was fortunate to have worked many years with a talented group. This position trusts leaders to make important decisions, allows autonomy and flexibility. I loved the enormous responsibility and taking part in projects that impacted the entire company.

ConsMy first 3 direct leaders were excellent. Very motivating and passionate about their jobs. They challenged me to seek continuous improvement and believed in my ability. My last direct leader drained my motivation because she didn't have the backbone to be the leader she was promoted to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever lose sight of how hard employees have to work. Ensure you have leaders in place at all levels who take ownership in the position. Employees can detect a leader who isn't devoted and who is only there to do the minimum. It is frustrating to follow a leader because you have to; because they have the title and you have no choice. It is far more productive to follow a leader because you want to; because of what that leader does for you and for what they do for the company.

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ALDI reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for ALDI CEO Hartmuth Wiesemann. All 385 reviews are posted anonymously by ALDI employees.