ALDI

www.aldi.com

ALDI Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014
ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

Hartmuth Wiesemann

Pros
  • Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees (in 38 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 24 reviews)

• Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place if your Willing to Work

Store Manager Trainee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsThis company is amazing and efficient. I came from another company, different industry and Im pleased with the change. The Pay is amazing, the benefits are above all. I want to remind people that say they don't gets breaks and have to come in on their days off, do not equate that to Aldi but your SM or AM and bring it back to the store level. Ive always gotten my breaks, maybe not when I wanted them, but definitely got them. This is not a easy job at all, you work very hard for your money, but the time goes by sooooo fast, before you know it it's time to go home.

ConsBeing promoted from SM to DM, or transfers to different States.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far so good, No job or company is perfect but so far this company meets all my needs. Upper Management has a open door policy and if you have any concerns you can go all the way up to the top.

Best place to work very .

Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) South Windsor, CT (US)

ProsGreat hours and great people.

ConsEmployees very friendly and management works hard to make a far yet friendly environment . Hours and benefits you can not beat.

Great Start!

Stock Assistant (Current Employee) Stratford-upon-Avon, England (UK)

ProsI must admit, following the reviews I read on here I was a little apprehensive about starting in my new job as a 'Stock Assistant' in the Stratford-upon-Avon store. Following my first week, I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed it! I was greeted with a very warm welcome and the managers and floor staff have all been very supportive (and patient!) and I can honestly say that I couldn't have wished for better colleagues and managers! The pay is also excellent for a 16 year old and is even still set to rise! Now is a great time to join this prosperous business.

ConsMy only issue is that I can't fit in as many hours as I'd like when I start at sixth form in September!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up and this company will continue to prosper!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved working for this company.

Clerk (Former Employee) Lawrenceville, GA (US)

ProsWonderful management and compensation. Good company to work for.

ConsSome really early hours and not much leeway in scheduling.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours for clerks.

Not bad, but some very ingrained issues...

Area Manager (Former Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsGreat Salary, company car, professional senior management, dedicated staff in-store.

ConsFar too much of the "just get it done" mentality, which is what many junior (graduate) managers come to perceive in their first management role as being leadership. Communication at all levels is poor. Capacity in busy stores in danger of being outstripped by demand. Work/Life balance is poor, although if you're a graduate in your first job then why not...

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in helping graduates to know the difference between "Leadership" and "Management".

Former DM

District Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAldi does a lot for employees and also expects a lot in return. Total compensation cannot be beaten and the management team can be outstanding. I loved the huge amount of responsibility and the varying days/weeks/months. Every store has its own personality and quirks, which made each day a surprise in some aspects. The DM job is all inclusive and anything and everything that happens within your stores is your responsibility. The experience gained cannot be matched anywhere else, especially for a new college grad.

ConsAldi is incredibly demanding and you are expected to get everything done and achieve the financial goals no matter what, period. What used to be very simple and challenging has become overwhelming and unreasonable. The same store conditions and financial results are expected to be achieved with the same number of hours used while the product line has grown tremendously, new programs are constantly being introduced, sales volumes are increasing, new employees and management staff are constantly being added, and on and on. The company is changing, but the job is not changing along with it. Productivity is still king, but customer satisfaction and store conditions are supposed to be king as well. Everything cannot be 100% all the time, but that is what is expected. Store Managers and DMs are 50-hour salaried employees, but no one gets the job done in 50 hours. Work-life balance is nonexistent and the DMs that find success are those who are single with no children or who choose work over family. Advancement also depends on the status of your division. Outstanding DMs in a poor performing division get passed over for more mediocre DMs in a top-performing division.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at the current management structure. New layers have been added at the upper executive level, but take a look at the Store Manager and District Manager positions. Exceptional people are going to leave due to the increasingly overwhelming workload on those positions in particular. In addition, great training programs are in place, but both Store Managers and DMs are stretched incredibly thin and cannot put the time into training that needs to be. A traveling training manager would be a great addition.

Fast paced and straight to the point

Anonymous (Former Employee) Maywood, IL (US)

ProsThey have great benefits, the more you do the work the easier it becomes and the customers are lovely.

ConsThe time restraints, they have no union so they can fire you for the smallest thing and they won't place you close to your home.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to value their workers on a more personal level versus the DM, store manager having such authority and power to fire ppl with no just cause or investigation.

No balance.

Cashier (Current Employee) Waterbury, CT (US)

ProsPay is fair. Fast paced enviroment.. Easy to move from cashier to Shift Supervisor. Benefits are great actually. You get to work with good people that have to be extremely hard working. Lazy people don't last.

ConsLong hours, since its non union; I've worked `12 hour days with one 5 minute break. I'm never fast enough for expectations even though I'm the fastest cashier in my store. No work life balance. They say you can have a half hour lunch break during training, and two 15 minute breaks during an 8 hour shift... They say a lot of things. All Shift supervisors are under constant scrutiny from the District managers causing massive amounts of stress and pressure. I've been working there for a year and over a third of the staff has gone out on disability due to medical problems directly correlated to the speeds which you are expected to ring and work at. You are recorded on camera and the District manager see's you sitting for more than thirty seconds while (I am not exaggerating or kidding) ... let's say you are waiting for a senior citizen to unload groceries onto the conveyor belt, you will be reprimanded, this really happened to me. No matter what you do you will never be good enough, understand that and you'll understand half the game.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop working your employees to the breaking point.... Unless Aldi's corporate really likes paying disability leave, in which case have at it. wondering how many people have to go on disbility before Aldi's figures it out.

Great company, fast paced environment

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is by far the best you will get in retail. The benefits are wonderful. Stable company. Company has good values. If you are fresh out of high school, with no kids or have adult children that can care for themselves, you don't mind working efficiently and fast, and good with people, this job would be a good opportunity for you.

ConsIt's a very fast paced environment. You really have no social life. If you're a parent, finding babysitting for a constantly changing schedule can be rough.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to employee morale, ask questions

No amount of hard work is enough.

Shift Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey pay a decent wage and have good benefits. You receive your first week of vacation after 6 months of employment.

ConsImpossible time standards, incredibly negative attitudes trickle down from upper management. Extremely minimal store coverage (sometimes only employees on the clock at a time).

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little extra on labor, and your employees will perform better.

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!