ALDI Reviews

Updated 30 September, 2014
Updated 30 September, 2014

Privately-Held Family Company

Pros
  • Aldi is a great company to work for because of the pay and benefits, especially as a manager (in 44 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 29 reviews)

• Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Work hard, great pay for middle management.

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

Many opportunities to manage and make decisions independently. Employees are empowered to make decisions and have a great deal of opportunity to trouble-shoot in many areas of the business.

Cons

Lack of transparency with promotion ability. This is a 7 day a week operation leads to reduced work/life balance which is general nature of retail.

Allow employees to be involved with their future with the company in terms of promotion. Employees are not given opportunity to apply for positions within the company. Allow a job share opportunity.

Great work culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hierarchy is flat in the head office, salary is above award and hence not much politics and people are prepared to be loyal for the rest of their lives. Work dynamic is always simple, effective and clear because of the management system and ethics everyone complies to. Very open to employees opinion and takes action to improve employees satisfaction. 5 weeks annual leave from first year, extra maternity leave payment.

Cons

The other side of the coin is that there is not much room to get promoted, crappy job titles at assistant level prevent you to get another job outside. Management system also prevented beneficial ideas to get through efficiently.

While superlatively valuing store talents and transferring them into the head office, may consider embracing other professionals more.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  Coral Springs, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Coral Springs, FL (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, and benefits. Tons of hours. Fast paced.

Cons

Physical labor to the extreme

Hire decent people

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company. Great pay. Great benefits. Hard work.

Former Employee - Shift Manager
    Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at ALDI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is considered to be pretty well compared to other retail competitors. Management does their due diligence in acquiring new staff to ensure that they are a great fit for the company. It was hard to find an employee that was not a hard worker and overall good individual.

Cons

Workload can be a bit much. Expectations and time frames are pushed to the max. Much more physically demanding than is perceived to be.

I think some of the hardest working, most qualified individuals are at the ground level. I'd like to see more promoting from within from the store manager to district manager level and beyond.

Cashier

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Memphis, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything is great!!! Great Pay, benefit are great

Cons

Very Hard Work some days with little help

Hard work, management over promises.

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier
    Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fast paced environment with a lot to learn. Can learn something new every day. Getting promoted from a cashier to shift manager is very attainable.

Cons

TONS of responsibility. The training process has a way of making every little thing seem like a big deal so it's hard to learn how to prioritize and gets very stressful. Work-life balance is TERRIBLE and trying to move up from shift manager to store manager trainee ends with tons of over promising from superiors. My superiors asked me to transfer to a store literally 10 times farther away than my current store with no additional pay. I have been trying to get promoted for about a year and have been strung along this whole time. (You'll get it by February...or March... By the end of summer...by thanksgiving... By Christmas...by the end of the year) I have already been unofficially trained for this next position the only thing left is leadership which will take actually getting promoted to be able to learn. Well they want me to go to another store way farther and learn my leadership there. But they say they are not ready to promote me. Well the position is designed to teach me leadership so I don't understand why I wouldn't be promoted. And I love within walking distance of my home store and this other location is a 30 mile round trip. That would result in a MUCH larger expense for me but I wouldn't be paid any extra for the extra work. I have done so much at the shifts are rate that I feel they are just trying to get me to do whatever they want without having to pay me extra but 1) it's not fair to me not to be reasonably compensated and 2) if I did this I would be living paycheck to paycheck. I just cat afford it and I feel like I do as much work as an MT already just without the proper pay rate.

Promote your people who are ready to promote. Stop trying to get them be puppets. We are real people. Treat us like people.

Rewarding but hard work

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at ALDI part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pays well and hours aren't too demanding

Cons

Little training, hard physical labor and fast paced enviornment.

Hold everyone to the same standards.

Store Manager in Training

Former Employee - Manager In Training  in  South Florida, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in South Florida, FL (US)

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

Busy work, Always moving. Time goes by fast, Paid Lunch, Over-Time, Nice Salary, No time for Drama, Fast Paced.

Cons

If you are looking for a job where you can just skate bye...Then don't come here. Only 3 associates on the majority of the day. you and 2 others will have 3 hours in the morning to receive and stock 26 pallets from dry goods to freezer and walk-in...this is not a con, just a warning that when you clock on...you will not stop moving until your shift is done. you three don't finish the truck, then you will stay after to complete it so the night shift can do their jobs. this is a TEAM environment..If one person can't pull their weight...you will have to make up for it.

Training is very well laid out. You will be competing with other MIT's in the area for Store Management Position. Bust your Butt and keep a fast pace from the moment you walk in to the moment you walk out. This will feel like boot camp at first so be ready. All holidays are paid and closed...Survival of the fittest...very rewarding...Loved working there. Had to relocate so my time was up.

Great part time job

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Strong company, like to hire from within. Good hourly pay.

Cons

Long hours, the staff is small.

Good pay, good benefits, hard work, long hours, thankless job. No promotion unless you are a DM or higher.

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pay is great, and the benefits are very good.

Cons

Very though physical days, long hours and always feel behind. Over the years the workload has increased without the proper adjustment of labor allowed to get the job done. The company is crawling out of its niche trying to compete with the upper level grocery stores of larger size. They have lost the philosophy of the brothers who started the company. Their sales are doing very well but the company has high turnover and will continue to do so unless it starts to value tenured employees who have been doing a good job and give the labor needed to meet their new standards.

Need to give the labor necessary to allow people to do the job right. Also learn to treat them well to keep morale up.

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!