ALDI

Updated 24 November, 2014
3.1

ALDI Presidents Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm
Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm

Pros
  • Aldi is a great company to work for because of the pay and benefits, especially as a manager (in 48 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 33 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Current Employee - District Manager in Syracuse, NY (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in Syracuse, NY (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom and autonomy to lead on your own

Cons

Must be good at multi tasking

Incredible leadership development opportunity and amazing career possibilities!

Current Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

ALDI provided me the opportunity to become a District Manager straight out of college. They provided me with unbelievable leadership development opportunities and training for a full year. After 4 years as a district Manager I was promoted to Director of Store Operations and again received excellent training for 5 months in three different areas of the company. The Director of Operations job gave me the ability to learn new skills and continue to develop as a leader. The impressive company growth allowed me to move into my current role as Division Vice President and I couldn't be happier. I recommend the District Manager career track to anyone who is self-motivated, driven and wants to make the most out of their life.

Cons

All of the positions that i have held provide numerous challenges on a daily basis. These have provided countless learning opportunities. People who are not fully committee to personal and professional growth may not enjoy these challenges.

You'll be highly compensated, but be ready to earn it

Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Pay and Benefits.

Flexible Hours (choose your own schedule).

High level of independence. You are your own boss day to day, which allows you the opportunity to run your stores as you see fit, so long as you deliver the results the company is asking for. Tremendous learning opportunity for anyone who wants to own and run their own business some day.

Cons

Have to work some weekends.

Long hours. You are salaried for 50hrs/wk, but expect to work more as necessary to deliver the required results. There were times when I had to push 70+hrs depending on what was going on in the stores (holidays, remodels, hiring, etc).

Tough and long (though necessary) training prior to taking over a district. Be prepared to start as a cashier and stock shelves as you work your way up through the ranks of the various in store roles throughout the 8 month training program.

Be understanding when workload is unexpectedly increased or special projects are assigned. Attempt to reduce number of stores per district to increase attention to detail in each store and help with work/life balance. Provide clearer paths for advancement.

Work is work

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

In the morning all items needing to be stocked come tightly bound on pallets ready to be worked throughout the store. Most of the items on the pallet typically belong in the same aisle. There is usually one person working on produce, one on the cooler/freezer pallets, and two on grocery. This can vary based on the number of pallets per section of the store. The stockers are given electrical pallet jacks that do the heavy pulling for them, as well as raise the pallet higher so they do not have to bend farther down as they work the pallet. When the store is open, one person is cashiering, the others are working on cleaning the store and further stocking areas such as meat, bread, and produce. When the team communicates and is on the same page, everyone is able to succeed with their tasks. The pay is higher than most retail/ grocery store places. You will find time passes by quickly as well by how busy you can stay.

Cons

There are team members who like to bring drama to the work place, talk down about other team members, and find short cuts whenever possible. The breaks vary from day to day, you could take a break three hours into your shift, and then your second break a half hour later. This is done to make sure your breaks are out of the way. Information/ changes that need to be made through the whole store is communicated with a store meeting, typically the changes are not applied or enforced. A lot of team members hate cashiering and will try to avoid it at all cost, even if they are the back up cashier. There are managers that will say negative things about team members as well. When it comes to stocking foods such as meat and bread, dates are not checked daily for expiration. There will be newer meat on old which causes the old meat to either expire and not be sold or to be sold discounted. Which affects sales.

Have a stronger emphasis on team work, back up cashiers staying down longer to reduce the line more easily for whoever is the main cashier. Do not allow employees to talk poorly of other employees. Communicate the bigger goals such as stocking neatness, inventory on the shelves instead of the back room, and checking dates on perishables. Cross train the team, do not rely heavily on one or two individuals to be your stockers and others cashiers. Take time and observe what team members are doing with the specific task assigned to them. Look to see if they are thorough with the job or are they taking short cuts to get out of the task. Give raises/promotions to those that do the job correctly.

Best job I've ever had. The company is extremely generous, consistent and fair!

Current Employee - Director of Purchasing
    Current Employee - Director of Purchasing

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Aldi takes care of it's people better than any retailer in the industry. The salaries are extremely competitive and I've never had a year without a raise! This company doesn't do layoffs and always does the right thing, even if it costs money.

Cons

Over the past eight years of my employment I haven't had bad experiences that would be caused by the company. We definitely work hard but we get compensated better than anyone else!

This job will kill you, but it could be worth it.

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Independence, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Independence, MO (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The work keeps you in shape. The benefits are decent and the pay is very good, for a grocery store.

Cons

Don't expect to get off work on time. EVER. And, if one person slacks off just a little, it puts the whole operation behind. Don't forget trying not to run down the customers that jump in front of your jacks.

Hold the slackers accountable instead of blaming management for not "re-training people properly". Sometimes people just need to be let go.

Fast-Paced and Rewarding. Flexibility is key.

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

The DM position demands a great deal of responsibility from Day 1. The position allows for much independence both in scheduling and completion of work tasks. You are very well compensated for the work that you do, both in pay and benefits. You will grow as a leader each and every day on the job.

Cons

Work-life balance can be as good or as non-existent as you make it. Relocation is required of all DM's often resulting in you getting moved to any random area within the Division (whether good or bad). Leadership within upper management is often hit or miss.

High Stress, but good pay. Little time for life

Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment helps the days pass, Smaller staff and helps build strong teamwork and accountability. Great starting salary and benefits. New stores continue to open allowing for growth.

Cons

Very high stress, and company culture asks that you are always available regardless of days or time off. Extremely high expectations often result in longer then scheduled days.

Can be slow to promote. And frequent upper management turnover make the environment unstable at times

Overwhelming and stressful

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and that is all pretty much I can say

Cons

Once you are employed by aldi you can forget about having a social life or a good home work balance . Schedule is bad will never have a weekend off unless your on vacation. You can try to ask for it off but good luck with that your only allowed to ask for two days off a month. Upper management (district manager) lack experience and are not people persons I guess they didn't learn how to speak to people at college. Shift manager pay is a joke you will only get paid the manager premium when your store manager or manager in training is gone for the day or they are off, but you are still require to perform the work (at cashier pay)

Hire management with experience not kids

Career Day

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

An awesome career opportunity with a great starting clara and compensation package

Cons

I was at a career fair that Aldi was recruiting at. It seemed as though the recruiters already had employees in mind they were hiring before they even came to my university.