AKQA

Updated 26 February, 2015
Updated 26 February, 2015
3.4

Ajaz Ahmed

Pros
  • You'll get to work on some massive clients and work with some great people (in 17 reviews)

• Lots of great clients, good budget and wonderful people to work with (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I know some other departments have a much less favorable work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Low pay, long hours, 2 weeks of vacation for the first 2 years (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome company/family

I worked at AKQA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing better
    Client like their brands
    Lots of nice perks
    great talented people
    Approachable managment

Cons

never enough hours in the day

Agile.

Positive culture attracts like minded people

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong camaraderie and teamwork. Career provides the chance to be creative and adventurous. Impressed by people met so far across all levels and departments. Senior management is visible and provides good learning opportunities and networking. Encouragement across company to always do the right thing is motivating to ensure that all the work is high quality.

Cons

Although Career Path exists in most roles, it's stand out, distinctive work and positive feedback from clients that get's the most recognized and rewarded.

Things are good because of clarity of focus on core values.

Career highlight

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have met people during my time here that will be my friends for life. I’ve had the opportunity to do the best work of my career. I worked on a project that won a Cannes Lion. I've learned it's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be.

Cons

I've pulled all-nighters. I've disagreed with clients and account managers. Typical agency angst.

Top of its game but still plenty of challenges to champion

Current Employee - Program Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I recently started here and right away felt like I was being looked after - if I ever need anything there's always someone to offer advice and help me out. Opportunities for people to grow are abundant - AKQA nurtures from within so once you're here, you can do anything really. Amazing people, clients, great work, exciting projects and the chance to try out some of the latest technology the whole world wants to play with. We are spoilt with social events and benefits along with beautiful environments to work in - I'm sure the novelty will wear off but right now I'm super happy!

Cons

To the outsider it can seem a little cliquey at first, but once you get to know people (and make the effort to do so), you'll understand them and why they are the way they are - usually because sticking together for projects helps people do a better, more collaborative job.
    As with all companies in this industry the hours can vary, but when you're working for the best, don't expect an easy ride. I don't have any real issue with this - just a watch out.

Keep encouraging younger members of the team - we love spending time with you, learning from you.

Inspiring place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Very inspiring, amazing place to work
    - Passionate staff from all over the world
    - Very smart people
    - Management very knowledgeable
    - Friendly and supportive colleagues who care about the work and the values
    - Lots of benefits including nice touches like fresh fruit on every floor delivered daily!
    - Good location of office, very convenient for most connections
    - Work is very interesting with great client list
    - Relatively ego-free

Cons

- Busy all the time with some projects being all-consuming.

- Keep developing staff and promoting from within.

An inspiring place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You're in a team with clever people, working on big clients, working on game-changing work that makes a difference to everyone people (not just the digital industry).

This is my first job where I have a good work/life balance – we're encouraged to use our full lunch break unlike places I've worked for previously. We have a new fitness studio at our London office with classes throughout the day which is a great way to achieve mind space.

Cons

It would be great if we had corporate discount for local businesses near the office

Keep up the good work!

Inspiring Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

AKQA is the first agency that I have been at that not only has an amazing culture, but has great supervisors. It is a place that challenges me everyday and makes me develop my best work. Also, the senior management are big advocates of work-life balance, which you don't see at some other places.

Cons

The high standards and expectations can be a little stressful and lead to long hours sometimes, but you do get to work with some of the best brands in the world.

Keep hiring the best talent in the industry

Enormous talent

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at AKQA in the SF office for quite some time. I've been privileged to work with some of the nicest and most intelligent folks in the industry. I have always been given the chance to grow and thrive here, which is one of the reasons I've stayed so long. There are few dull moments, and long list of perks to keep employees happy. The work produced is top notch, some of the best you will do in your career.

Cons

AKQA is no different from other agencies - you will work long hours at times. There can be disorganization among teams (communication of expectations and timelines) but again, this is par for course in an agency (where deadlines and concepts change constantly).

AKQA is a great company that constantly evolves.

Current Employee - Client Partner in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Partner in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Incredible client list, a ton of opportunities to innovate and passionate people. AKQA is great for self-starters who want to do things no one has done before. We are moving upstream and now compete with Business Consultancies and Service Design firms more often that creative agencies. It's a real meritocracy and talent gets rewarded and recognized.

Cons

If you want to do TV, this is not the place for you. If you want an easy life, this also isn't the place for you. The best clients in the world have extremely high demands and only people who thrive on that pressure will succeed at AKQA.

Keep recognizing and rewarding the best talent.

Factory

I worked at AKQA

Pros

Talented people, good clients, strong execution.

Cons

Poor training, uninspiring senior team, Ajaz is misguided and lost in his own contrived world of idiosyncrasies, never mind completely clueless as to how to motivate, inspire and run successful projects. His success is built on the backs of others, who has done a consistently good job of undermining, alienating and pitting against one another.

Get rid of Ajaz.