AKQA

www.akqa.com

AKQA Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Ajaz Ahmed

Pros
  • You'll get to work on some massive clients and work with some great people(in 16 reviews)

• Lots of great clients, good budget and wonderful people to work with(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I know some other departments have a much less favorable work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• Long hours (9am until 9pm and one day at weekends not uncommon)(in 19 reviews)

Awesome company/family

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is nothing better
    Client like their brands
    Lots of nice perks
    great talented people
    Approachable managment

Consnever enough hours in the day

Advice to Senior ManagementAgile.

Blue chip clients. No investment in people.

Associate Media Director (Current Employee)

ProsBest in class clients and projects. Smart, good, and cool employees. Able to touch and be exposed to a lot of different types of work.

ConsNo investment in people. Little vision from the top. You're sort of on your own here, there's no proactiveness towards retaining best people. It's only when you are out the door when they try to incentivize you.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people. Invest in emerging disciplines. Commit to a vision and direction. Proactively reward top performers so they aren't forced to leave/job hunt. Provide career opportunities and paths.

Made amazing friends, but creativity is dismal.

Designer (Current Employee)

Pros- Great people, made amazing friends
    - Okay salary (Warning, they will always try to undercut you)
    - Nice office spaces

Cons- Dictatorship with being fun and creative around the office, the office manager once hid all fun toys and signs when Ajaz was coming in for 20 minutes.

- Agency thinks they are creative, however 9/10 they will do whatever the client wants, project mangers will take any kind of terrible work from client, just to keep their time allocation for every creative packed.

- You work in a call center, because no one wants to make the environment fun

- They hire people who bring nothing to the culture of the company, who love to do their 9-5 and go home.

- They will show you a demo reel, watch closely as all the creative work are digital leaderboards.

- Technology Innovation agency. You're kidding. IT gives incorrect, outdated, slow machines. Refuse to buy industry standard displays that every single creative agency uses, because they believe that Dell make the best displays. Even though, they are more expensive that the industry standard Apple Cinema Displays. The colors don't show up right. One time, our client made a observation that the white, was pink. during a presentation.

- Don't even bother doing reimbursements. They take too long, and sometimes take two months to get to your account.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow creatives, to be creative.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Premium from the outside, quick and dirty from the inside

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Berlin (Germany)

ProsSalary, friendly colleagues, tech stack

ConsThe company only cares for satisfying brands by meeting deadlines, one after another. No consideration usually given to ever-growing technical debts. Getting things done quick and dirty is always preferable over doing things right. Technically incompetent management and so called "architects", very few of them can actually inspire and lead, some lack the very basic social and communication skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry being premium for your own employees, not only for brands. Stop doing quick and dirty work in order to please customers and meet deadlines.

Great team, great technologies

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Berlin (Germany)

ProsInnovative, Good salaries, nice people to work with

ConsNot very good technical project management strategies

Advice to Senior ManagementNot only the manager attitude is important

horrible experience

Creative Developer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsNone. Horrible experience, horrible company, horrible people.

ConsEverything. Horrible experience, horrible company, horrible people.

Don't work here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAll the perks of a big company, none of the charms of a small one.

Big brands. Nice rooftop.

ConsFundamental lack of leadership and direction.

No sense of "play" or "fun". Expect to come in and be dazzled, then work like a third world employee in a sweatshop.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your employees, they are your greatest asset.

Have a clear mission statement and sense of direction for the company - lots of great talent at AKQA but there is no sense of it ever feeling like one unified "company".

Monotonous, mind numbing place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsPay and people are good. Everyone is friendly, which make it a comfortable place to be.

ConsWithin a 6 month span I saw 80% of the creatives leave the New York office for other gigs. That says everything you need to know. Why is everyone leaving? The work is mind numbingly boring. Senior leadership caters to what the client wants, which is usually garbage. A paycheck doesn't make up for feeling like you're selling your soul. People that worked here for years left with MAYBE one mediocre book piece to show for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and promote your creatives. Push for interesting work. Pitch an interesting client for once instead of another bank. Having "AKQA" on your resume isn't good enough, the only thing that matters is doing good work.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros1. Great people. Almost everyone is enthusiastic and funny, which makes it easier when you have to work late nights.
    2. Great clients. Having amazing brands on my resume helped me get where I am now.
    3. You can work on any cool project or any cool client. All you have to do is ask and be proactive.

Cons1. Rotten to the core senior management. My favorite thing was when the senior management promoted themselves after the merger with WPP.
    2. Low pay, long hours, 2 weeks of vacation for the first 2 years. Nobody lasts longer than 2 years btw.
    3. Expect to work on a ton of keynote decks. Unfortunately most of the time the deck ends up being the final deliverable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people better.
    Focus on your current clients rather than new business.
    Again, treat your people better.

Good from far, far from good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsMost of the people are pretty cool.

Cons- Account leadership is heavily inexperienced
    - High turnover, can't staff teams properly
    - Account people say 'how high?' every time a client says 'jump'. Lie to people below them. Manage up, only share information with leadership. They come up with the 'story' they will sell everyone.
    - People making the work are always last to know - too late since client already has meeting dates set up on calendar
    - Greedy, only care about trying to get more money and new business, will sell out all the UX, tech and creative teams and make people work crazy hours to put work in front of clients, sometimes they haven't even asked for it.
    - Let good talent go, do nothing to offer people new and exciting work
    - Boring clients in NY, banking and telecom are the only things they can win
    - Innovation is stifled, does not make it past the pitch because the timelines and budgets don't allow for anything but production - Only build websites, not much other work
    - Production vendor project approach
    - Hard to career path, totally chaotic

Advice to Senior Management- Bring in more inspirational work
    - Treat people less like numbers and more like valued employees
    - Quit setting up your teams to fail on every project/account

Worked for AKQA? Contribute to the Community!