AECOM

AECOM Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke

Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally(in 26 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees(in 56 reviews)

• Upper management changes the structure of the organization seemingly ever year(in 45 reviews)

Lots of interesting opportunities

Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsWell-organized, supportive of staff training
    Connect with a variety of people from interesting disciplines
    Flexible office environment

ConsRelatively poor compensation
    Confusing and sometimes contradictory communications from upper management
    Top-heavy management with little idea about the day-to-day work patterns and requirements of field staff

Advice to Senior ManagementBonuses should not just be for the top 2%

Design Engineer

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Saskatoon, SK

ProsAECOM is a global company geared towards excellence in all aspects of project delivery and building up skill set of its employees.

ConsSince it is a publically trading company, its long term growth objectives are hampered in a try to achieve quarterly financial targets to keep its share value at certain threshold.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should keep up the good work they are doing.

Poor Management and unethical practices in the Linear Infrastructure Group in Markham.

Senior Professional (Former Employee) Markham, ON

ProsSome good technical folks exist and assist you if you are willing to reach outside your geography.

ConsCheap labor and expectation of working more than 60 hrs a week. Senior management under price the proposals to win jobs and then pressure junior staff to complete the work. No focus on client services or employee growth. All they care is the bottom line. Doesn't matter how employees get there.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate competitive environment and invest in your best employees. Innovation should be your strength and not low prices for winning jobs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Scholarship as a profesionnal master degre student

Intern (Current Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsGreat group of qualified people to work with
    big,interesting projects all over the world
    immediate boss really easy going with good relationship with employees

ConsUpper level management doesn't seems to care about staff
    Salary rate seems lower than sector average

Sick Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros? Free Coffee. Met some good people.

Cons- Unethical management, abusive project managers.Complaints to HR about serious incidents of staff abuse and intimidation were not taken seriously. Standing up for fearful fellow employees was met with an extremely bad performance review, retaliation for the formal complaint.
    - Highest turnover of employees in engineering. So many good people leave.
    - Poor IT and engineering systems management.
    - Cheap, cheap cheap! Cheapest company - period.
    - Completely disorganized workflows and responsibilities.
    - Stress to meet deadlines with lack of resources or time because jobs are 'bought' by underbidding competition.
    - Quality issues as work is rushed out to ensure the next payment of fees.

Advice to Senior ManagementReap what you sow...

Work, work, work

ProsGlobal company, ability to work on large interesting projects, lots of technical experts

ConsBottom dollar more valuable than current employees, managers given positions due to turnover not ability

Advice to Senior ManagementEnable and support employees. You aren't selling widgets, you are selling your staff abilities.

Grew beyond its ability to manage.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Winnipeg, MB

ProsFlexible work hours, benefits, individual employees that care.

ConsCompensation, focus on performance metrics and not the employees performing, confusing corporate culture, shareholder value only concern.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worring about staff utilization and focus on a quality product and winning work. If our backlog is full with work, the performance metrics will handle themselves.

Too much focus on NYSE shareholder value; too little emphasis on retaining core engineering business in Canada

Project Manager (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsCompany brand, benefit packages, employee social activities. Great learning atmosphere for new graduates.

ConsSevere brain drain of senior engineering talent - many have decided to pursue opportunities at other firms. Company structure is too bureaucratic and PM's need to dedicate a lot of time entering data on in-house APIC accounting systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuality is very much lacking in design and project work - this is affecting the company's ability to win big projects. Need to lure experienced and capable designers back to the company.

Global Company but not so consistent culture around the globe.

Accountant (Current Employee) Winnipeg, MB

ProsGlobal Company providing worldwide opportunities, Ambitious, Mergers and Acquisitions provide opportunities to move in various different geographies, Fortune 500 Company

ConsSo many initiatives make is difficult to focus on Business, Management is too much focused on financial KPIs and doesnt care about qualitative measures i.e. employee satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Execs to visit small offices and try to guage employee motivation. Employees drive a Company's success and growth, specially in our business of consultancy services.

The management doesn't know how to treat employees,

Technical Specialist (Current Employee) Whitby, ON

Prosthis company sucked the life out of me. After +20 years I have quit and am starting with the competition in a few weeks.

ConsLarge company with no respect shown to the people who actually do the work and someone else takes the credit. Sucked the life out of me.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff with respect and give them the credit they deserve.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!