ADTRAN

ADTRAN Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2014

ADTRAN Chairman, CEO, and Director Thomas R. Stanton

Thomas R. Stanton

Pros
  • Work environment fosters teamwork(in 6 reviews)

• Traditionally, they were a stable place and rather laid back(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • HUntsville locations does not offer a lot of access to Customer sites and only one telecom company essentially for at least 100 miles(in 4 reviews)

• Can't think of any real cons, the entire experience was great and they really care about their co-ops(in 3 reviews)

Conservative and friendly company with a solid set of products and a flexible working environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent compensation package, and plenty of "doers" that make things happen. The hardware engineering team produces quality products at competitive price points.

ConsThe Enterprise division is micro-managed to the point that director-level employees don't have the authority to make decisions and spend capital to invest in the future of the company. Although products tend to perform well, the company is generally not innovative and tends to implement features only after they've been proven in the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your senior employees more decision making authority, but don't be afraid to shake things up if they're not performing or are incapable of making (good) decisions.

Great people, good upper management, and challenging work environment.

Product Qualifications Technician (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsGood company environment that is very stable and operations are great. Traditionally rather laidback and opportunistic place to work. Family oriented. Flexible work hours are a nice perk. Also, the management chain appears to be genuinely concerned about the state of their people. They work with you when life happens. Paid educational benefits. Employment benefits are excellent Company administers its own insurance operations which is a super saver on benefits. Upper management exemplify great leadership and employee turnover one of the lowest in the industry.

ConsHUntsville locations does not offer a lot of access to Customer sites and only one telecom company essentially for at least 100 miles. Engineering is pretty flat so there is very little room for advancement. Compensation is a little below average, but this probably due to the fact that most engineers have been here for 10 to 20 years. This will not be the case in the future since churn has increased considerably since I left the company in 2011. Very few leave due to being unhappy with work conditions. They usually leave for better paying positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your engineers. Don't follow the current trend of micro-management in the name of Agile. Find that compensate level that make employees push product development out faster without foster compensation decline.

Great people, great manager, and challenging work to keep you interested.

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsFlexible work hours are a nice perk. Also, my management chain appears to be genuinely concerned about the state of their people. They work with you when life happens.

ConsEngineering is pretty flat so there is very little room for advancement. Compensation is a little below average, but this probably due to the fact that most engineers have been here for 10 to 20 years. This will not be the case in the future since churn has increased considerably since I started. Very few leave due to being unhappy with work conditions. They usually leave for better paying positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love my job! Great oportunities.

Repair Operator (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsPeople hold the door open for you, they are like family.

ConsI don't have anything bad to say about this company.

Awesome place to co-op

Co-Op Engineer (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsThe big draw to adtran is the laid back work environment and the benefits. Co-ops can receive housing if they live out of state and minor tuition assistance; however, I hear the full time benefits are some of the best in the business.

ConsWhile the benefits are amazing, the compensation isn't the best. When working at Adtran you sacrifice pay for the work environment.

Good company

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGood company, product set a bit dated.

ConsLack of vision and ability to develop to a vision

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease speed you bring out new product

Adtran is a wonderful place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsAdtran has a great environment to work in. Each engineer has their own office. Each group has their own lab for testings and development. The Agile work process makes it easy for everyone to understand what everyone is working on. Each building has its own cafeteria. You have the opportunity to work on many different aspects of each product (web, hardware, driver, database, or architecture)

ConsIf you are looking for an upward career path in management this is not the place. This is a very flat organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at more incentives to employees like bonuses.

Good Place to work in Alabama

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsAgile development , scrum , and lot of opportunity

ConsHuman resources need a lot to do

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsFacility , Company Values , Smart People

ConsSome work can become monotonous.

Great place to work.

Test Design Engineer (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsGreat products. Facilities are top notch. Most people get their own office. On-site gym and cafeteria. They provide plenty of class lectures through-out the year from weight loss to skill training.

ConsYearly increases were low which caused a high turn over rate in my department. However, this was during the economy crisis in 2008-2010.

Worked for ADTRAN? Contribute to the Community!