ADP

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.5 1,695 reviews

ADP CEO Carlos A. Rodriguez

Carlos A. Rodriguez

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance unless you want to move into higher management (in 114 reviews)

• You're able to work from home remotely in case of something like bad weather or illness (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is compromised due to unrealistic workloads (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management wants massive productivity in areas they no longer understand (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights
1,695 Employee Reviews

ADP was a great company to work for and a great place to learn.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsADP provides a lot of opportunity to learn and develop skills.

ConsDifficult for advancement if you are not located in Toronto.

Long standing, ended poorly

Sales (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsOffers an excellent benefit package

ConsInconsistent policies - the practices of the East region were fairly watered down in the West region.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward high performers with advancement. It sends a message to those that 'get by' in their roles that it's worth the extra effort to out perform their peers.

Its ok

Not Disclosed (Current Employee) Etobicoke, ON

ProsCompany benefits are pretty good. RSP matching, full company paid benefits, vacation is ok too,

ConsUnrealistic expectations, high demands, highly matrixed too many hands in the pie, power struggles, managers who are not up to date on the business units they support so don't know how to effectively manage their teams realistically. - "Do as I say not as I do" mentality from some management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the staff below the management level,. they are the ones doing the grunt work for you and have a pulse on what is happening, and can definitely help with pointing out problems before they become out of control. the values of the company really need to be practiced, and not just words on the wall.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

APD Canada

Implementation Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsIf appreciated by your Manager, you have total support and freedom to move up.
    Employees are simple and friendly

ConsTotal lack of HR department supporting operations. Employees in employee services (ES) from Toronto and Vancouver are assigned to an HR Consultant in Vancouver, with three hours difference. What happens if something terrible happens to an employee in the EST early in the morning. The HR and Payroll department employees don't know how to calculate the vacations for employees out East and ask us to do it!
    A lot of negativity from old-timer employees
    ADP Canada is a company that is not well integrated to the country it serves. The US runs everything and does not seem to want to adapt to the Canadian set of laws, and rules. Maybe it is normal for a giant like AD but I have worked at bigger companies and they made a much bigger effort to adapt to our environment. A also feel that we work so hard, there should be a pension plan instead of a matching RRSP program.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor mid-management and Team Leaders: Affirm yourselves, stop being the middleman and dare to protect your employees
    For Higher Management: Upon my dealings with High Management, they seem to have a much better attitude than management and I was pleasantly surprised by their openness to new ideas and by their attitude in general.

Satisfactory

Major Accounts District Manager (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsGreat work-life balance, supportive team environment.

ConsCareer advancement is difficult and compensation is sub industry standard.

Company where people stay for a long time

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsFlexible working hours and possible to work remotely from home when needed.
    Overtime is discouraged so you spend time with family.
    Nice co-workers willing to help if they are not extremely busy.

ConsBehind in the latest technologies.
    Not much time for personal development.
    So many different units that sometimes don't work well together.

Management needs a shakeup

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsPay and benefits are very good. Relaxed atmosphere.

ConsPoor management leads to poor quality products. No vision, no leadership, no accountability, bad decisions, over-reliance on ancient technology, no training, etc. For a company that preaches innovation & simplicity they stubbornly cling to 40+ year old backend systems that no longer fit the needs of the clients. Old systems lead to major constraints in the supporting software.

Also, the focus at ADP is only on delivering as fast as possible with as few resources as possible. This causes the quality and user experience to suffer but Management scratches their heads and wonders why sales are slow and clients are leaving in droves, pinning all the blame on the employees as if they were responsible.

The atmosphere at ADP is pretty negative as evidenced by the low survey scores year after year. Employees are over-worked, too busy and stressed because of a lack of proper resourcing. Management promises to do something about it but never delivers because there is zero accountability at ADP.

I predict over the next 5 years or less ADP declines significantly as newer competitors enter the market with better quality products & more efficient service.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcquire one or more smaller companies that have more modern software & slowly transition away from the old technology.

Very busy

Security Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsIt's middle of the road, culture is like every other major corporation.

ConsNot a lot of personal development.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider more personal development reviews rather than performance reviews

In the business of your success !

Consultant (Current Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsTeam environment, Steady progress compared to competition in same industry.

ConsCompensation and bonus plan should reflect employee actual worth versus Glassdoor stats.

Advice to Senior ManagementA ship's crew is only as good as its Captain.

Experience review

QA Lead (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsFlexible hours and good benefits

ConsMore work pressure for IT guys

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do more execercise before finalizing the project plan

Worked for ADP? Contribute to the Community!