Aéropostale

Updated 1 February, 2015
3.2

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson
Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 43 reviews)

• Aero also gives employees a great discount (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• I've worked with several girls who have been in Sales for YEARS and still get paid minimum wage (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Only if you're desperate.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB

I worked at Aéropostale

Pros

- it's a job after all
    - no experience required
    - really good in-store music
    - you always have something to do
    - even better discount on already cheap clothes

Cons

- Management does not communicate. Schedules are given online, done the Thursday before the week. Even though I took off 4 days do to high school graduation 6 months before the date, I was scheduled to work and had to miss my shift. If you miss a shift, or are even more than 10 minutes late, the management calls someone else to work and doesn't bother to find out why you have seemingly disappeared.
    - extremely low pay. While slightly above minimum wage, Aeropostale does not give their employees raises.
    - No standards. 2 of our 3 managers skipped sweeping on the days they closed, the store front was often a complete mess, strewn piles of mixed styles and colors, and the managers would say "Yeah it was like that when I got here, so I'm not cleaning it up."
    - No feedback. The management do not give you feedback unless you are about to be fired. I had spoken to manager about how over the next few months I would have very little availability do to school and my extra curricular sport. They responded with "Oh yeah I understand that's fine." When I worked again about 2 months later, I was pulled aside by an assistant who informed me that unless I can have steady availability for 2 months straight, maybe I don't fit Aero anymore.

Treat your employees fairly. If you are not okay with time off, be upfront about it. Give constant feedback, both positive and negative. Regularly (every few shifts) inform the employee things they are doing well, and things they need to work on. Remember that you set an example for your employees. If they see you "not doing work" (which sometimes you have to sit in the back doing paperwork, but not for 8 hours!!) they see no reason that they should perform to the best of their abilities. PLEASE actually do the touch-base at the beginning of a shift, it really helps! Reward employees through the payroll, it is very frustrating as someone who has worked there for 10 months, with no negative feedback, watching new untrained people get treated the exact same. Overall, COMMUNICATE! There was a huge lack of communication on the part of my managers, and it created an overall negative atmosphere.

A good experience for a first job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Guelph, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Guelph, ON

I have been working at Aéropostale

Pros

- very relaxed dress code
    - good music
    - flexible about booking time off
    - fun, enthusiastic environment
    - excellent customer service training

Cons

- do not promote past sales associate unless you are 21 +
    - on-calls while necessary are annoying
    - minimum wage

I would suggest that management reconsider their rules about sales leads having to be 21 years of age or up. There are many qualified, responsible employees 18-20 who would do a much better job than some of the 21 year olds who are currently in sales lead positions.

Wonderful Company

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Aero gives their employees a lot of opportunity to advance their career. The company also truly appreciates their people and works to provide for their employees.

Cons

They have some issues, such as inventory allocation, which is very frustrating.

Keep treating you people right, but help give them better tools to do their jobs!

Great company, but not for the faint of heart.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company really fallows and live by their values. Peoples have a voice that can be heard throughout the company. If you are having a problem with an objective, you can share your concerns without getting shot down. Usually you will get help or even can help change the proses to make it better. There are a lot of tools to help you meet your goals. Compensation is competitive and bonuses are available down to Sales Leads. Bonus plans are usually attainable.

Cons

Plans and objectives can change quickly. Promos, marketing visuals can change weekly, and sometimes multiple times in the same week. There is always a lot of work to do and payroll can be tight. Managers can't just organize and lead, they have to do as much physical labor as the associates to be successful.

Great company culture

Current Employee - Assistant Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Assistant Merchandiser

I have been working at Aéropostale

Pros

I love the people I work with! Everyone is so nice and helpful. It is a great place to grow and learn the ropes of merchandising.

Cons

The company could use a training program to help employees ease into their roles. Also, the company's financial standing isn't strong.

Train and develop entry level employees and assistants when they first get there to gain leadership and analytic skill. Also, a rotation program should be in place where each employee spends time in each department so that everyone has an understanding of how the company functions and why it is important to know about each role.

great place to work

Current Employee - Associate Merchandise Planner in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Merchandise Planner in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great work life balance
    -Have a true ownership of their business

Cons

There are cons but nothing most people don't experience elsewhere.

Enjoyed it got to learn how a retail store was ran.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Michigan City, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Michigan City, IN (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Improved on things such as my customer service in the store, along with my teamwork with others. Along with that I think this is a great part time job for college and high school students.

Cons

Need to change or get rid of the call in system.

Get rid of call system I think you should only have to call in if your really needed.

Short-lived yet pleasant experience overall.

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is easy to get along with and the job itself is relatively easy. A wonderful place to work for your first part-time job! My store is closing down; however, this company does exude great values.

Cons

Scheduling seems chaotic and there is a lack of professionalism. Hours are normally added on last minute and there seems to be favoritism at play.

During the time I've worked at Aero I was scheduled during school hours. I was confused and I could not find someone to trade shifts with, yet my manager did nothing. My education comes first. I believes the managers need to take control while still being relatively fair in the work place.

Phenomenal Experience!!!

Former Employee - Production Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Production Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Aéropostale as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was super friendly and it was a positive work environment.

Cons

The company itself is not doing so well.

Keep up the positive energy!

Good 1st job

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Aéropostale (less than a year)

Pros

Had awesome managers and coworkers. Work was fun but normally busy either with customers or things to do with store. Personally I loved doing floor sets. Discounts on clothes were nice and helpful considering they wanted you to stay current with the clothes you wore to work. Overall, it was a good 1st job that I ended up working at for almost a year.

Cons

Minimum wage. Would of loved to get more hours. Towards the end of my employment there we got a new manager, and even though I tried to work while in school they weren't working with my schedule so in the end I decided to leave. Quality of clothes isn't what it used to be. Staying current with how the prices change a lot was a pain in the butt.

Increase hours allowed by each store for associates to work. Increase amount you pay workers.

Aéropostale Photos