Aéropostale

www.aeropostale.com
Profile Unclaimed

Only if you're desperate.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB

I worked at Aéropostale

Pros

- it's a job after all
    - no experience required
    - really good in-store music
    - you always have something to do
    - even better discount on already cheap clothes

Cons

- Management does not communicate. Schedules are given online, done the Thursday before the week. Even though I took off 4 days do to high school graduation 6 months before the date, I was scheduled to work and had to miss my shift. If you miss a shift, or are even more than 10 minutes late, the management calls someone else to work and doesn't bother to find out why you have seemingly disappeared.
    - extremely low pay. While slightly above minimum wage, Aeropostale does not give their employees raises.
    - No standards. 2 of our 3 managers skipped sweeping on the days they closed, the store front was often a complete mess, strewn piles of mixed styles and colors, and the managers would say "Yeah it was like that when I got here, so I'm not cleaning it up."
    - No feedback. The management do not give you feedback unless you are about to be fired. I had spoken to manager about how over the next few months I would have very little availability do to school and my extra curricular sport. They responded with "Oh yeah I understand that's fine." When I worked again about 2 months later, I was pulled aside by an assistant who informed me that unless I can have steady availability for 2 months straight, maybe I don't fit Aero anymore.

Treat your employees fairly. If you are not okay with time off, be upfront about it. Give constant feedback, both positive and negative. Regularly (every few shifts) inform the employee things they are doing well, and things they need to work on. Remember that you set an example for your employees. If they see you "not doing work" (which sometimes you have to sit in the back doing paperwork, but not for 8 hours!!) they see no reason that they should perform to the best of their abilities. PLEASE actually do the touch-base at the beginning of a shift, it really helps! Reward employees through the payroll, it is very frustrating as someone who has worked there for 10 months, with no negative feedback, watching new untrained people get treated the exact same. Overall, COMMUNICATE! There was a huge lack of communication on the part of my managers, and it created an overall negative atmosphere.

A good experience for a first job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Guelph, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Guelph, ON

I have been working at Aéropostale

Pros

- very relaxed dress code
    - good music
    - flexible about booking time off
    - fun, enthusiastic environment
    - excellent customer service training

Cons

- do not promote past sales associate unless you are 21 +
    - on-calls while necessary are annoying
    - minimum wage

I would suggest that management reconsider their rules about sales leads having to be 21 years of age or up. There are many qualified, responsible employees 18-20 who would do a much better job than some of the 21 year olds who are currently in sales lead positions.

Fun Company, No Growth

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Aéropostale

Pros

It was a fun, fast paced environment. As management, you are able to provide a lot if input and feedback to better your particular store. They are a positive company to start for and a great first job for anyone. They have a few community based projects.

Cons

There was no room for growth. It seemed as if leadership roles were assigned based on who was the loudest or more outgoing rather than who was better fit for the job. I worked as an assistant for years and watched people who couldn't do simple operational or merchandising tasks be promoted into store managers. I received one annual review in the 5 years I worked there and the scheduling is always hectic. If you don't luck out with a compassionate store manager, you can find yourself working the unwanted shifts all the time. Pay raises were low and far in between

Upper management needs more training. They provide workshops for Assistant Managers, but I believe Store Managers need training as well. They need work on employee's diversity training as well. It seems like there are a lot of politics and unneeded problems coming up.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Aéropostale

Pros

great benefits and paid time off

Cons

Little to no work life balance

Great fun company

Former Employee - Sales in Riverhead, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Riverhead, NY (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun environment, decent pay for sales

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Aéropostale

Pros

This is a great company. They really appreciate their employees. Work hard and play hard, if you are a top employee you can even earn a free trip to NYC for training and development. This is also a great way to meet the corporate staff members. I worked there for a little over a year and met more people from HQ than at any of my other companies. If you want to move up in the company their 'internal' hiring is high.

Cons

Lots of work hours. Must work weekends and some week nights.

Fun company but needs more training.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, easy to follow instructions, great discounts for employees.

Cons

Not sufficient training for employees, work hours are very bad (4 hours a week max or sometimes no hours at all)

Give your employees more training and also keep managers updated to dayforce so employees can have good working hours.

Everything should have been done yesterday.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good foot in the door to retail.
    In-store staff was like family.
    Communication was open and easily accessible.

Cons

Underpaid by far for industry standards.
    Wore many hats at all times.
    During holiday we had floor sets almost every other weekend.
    Holidays are a nightmare: work until 3am back at noon.

To upper management within the company: get your act together. The brand is failing and trying all these new tactics isn't helping. Listen to your customer and your in-store employees.

Decent company but needs some work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount and most of the time the managers were nice. Pretty flexible about scheduling and time off.

Cons

Shifts were always shortened. Most of the time they would cut your shift. "On calls" were just plain ridiculous because it literally put your life on hold. Suppose to get a "raise" every year. I got one and I would even have called it a raise.

Ok...

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Aéropostale

Pros

Managers
    Co-workers- enjoyed the people that I worked with
    Discounts- clothes for cheap

Cons

Customers
    Wage - top sales associate for about a year and still only make 8.25, asked numerous times for a raise

when an associate asks for a well-deserved raise, at least try to talk to them

Aéropostale Photos