Aéropostale

Aéropostale Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson

Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • Aero is pretty good to their employees, and great discount(in 36 reviews)

• The only thing good about working here is the employee discount(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance(in 17 reviews)

• Not enough staff help because they hire little kids and pay them minimum wage(in 21 reviews)

Great teen job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Langley, BC

ProsPerfect for a teen looking for one of their first jobs
    Paid me a little more than other mall jobs
    Fun staff
    Relaxed staff
    50 percent discount
    Not commissioned based, no pressure on staff to sell

ConsOnly 4 hour shifts, hard to move up in company, difficult on my neck by folding for 4 hours, not enough staff working at once (lots of running around in a large store )
    SECRET SHOPPERS WITH UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS

Advice to Senior ManagementNo on call shifts !

worst job ever!

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)

Prosa good discount
    good promotions
    a job to start

ConsThis job was a disaster. I never changed work zone when I worked for 10 months. I was always on greets. other sales assis. always stay at the cashier table and chat. This place is filled with lazy teenagers. Since Aero is a teen clothing store, I'm not sure why would they hire someone that are in their 30's to be the key holder.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be strict to the sale assis. Give them direction when they arrive to work, make them switch work zones. Since it is a clothing store, hire employee that has a good taste in fashion. They way how the employee look does representing the store and the company!

The perfect place for teens who are not yet serious about their future

Merch Flow Associate (Current Employee)

ProsAs cheap as the prices are for merchandise to the general public, the employee discounts make it considerably cheaper. Nice enough people (on the surface, that is)

ConsPoor management in various departments including: Human resources, scheduling and logistics, amongst others. Conflicting management, for example: training by different people without consistency; restricting freedom of control for employees, then stating that they do not take any initiative; lying about the minimum number of hours that will be worked; assigning on-calls which is simply useless and annoying (real companies use a concept call "forecasting"); lying about growth within the company; constantly hiring new people when current employees are working at best, 4 hours a week; amongst other things. If you are a male, you will be alienated unless you work in a larger store with other males working overlapping shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother, management will not listen, or do not care enough to listen. If they are, my one advice is to go back to business school, take the undergraduate program (business commerce or business administration) and realize the plethora of mistakes and illegal/unethical activities that you are committing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) London, ON

Prosthe people were really chill, nice people.

Consalways really busy, many clothes to fold. boring job

Not amazing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPassionate employees. Potential to move up.

ConsLack of leadership. Poor inventory system and computer systems are slow.

Positive Workplace: Supportive Upper Management & Executives, Great Culture & Values

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- good training program
    - positive work environment
    - excellent discount
    - lots of opportunity to move up

Cons- terrible product that nobody wants
    - do no provide enough payroll hours to complete the huge workload
    - too many promo changes
    - customer service model is too aggressive

Advice to Senior Management- no more secret shops
    - give more payroll hours or allow work to be done while store is open
    - hire new designers (try to appeal to older teens and young adults)
    no more logos, no more bright colours, make higher quality items
    - have fewer promo changes

Boring, but easy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosextremely flexible work schedule, easy

Consunstimulating, no growth, boring, unorganized

Fun first job

Prosfun environment love the energy

Consnot enough hours at minimum wage

Great for people are starting their career in retail

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

Prosemployee discounts, diverse workforce, decent hours, great environment, no strict dress code provided that you don't show off or promote other brand names.

ConsSometimes it gets really busy; people wreck your pile of organized clothes several times an hour, most people only buy clothing that are on sale...

Advice to Senior ManagementInstall some cameras in some of the stores to prevent shoplifting, my store did not have cameras and it is sometimes hard to keep track of suspicious people when you are working alone (or with one manager).

Fun and energetic working environment

Merchandiser (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGood discount (50% off two tops, two bottoms and two accessories every month and 30% of everything else. Accelerated discounts also made it possible to buy an entire outfit cheap!) Aeropostale has a fun and outgoing working environment. Managers were flexible with my schedule and amazing people. They genuinely had an interest in my life outside of work and showed support and interest in my life aspirations. If you are personable and a hard worker you will excel at this company.

ConsOn call shifts were annoying. You never knew if you could make plans for that day because you were unsure if you actually had a shift. Few hours during slow seasons, although hours were abundant during peak season.

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!