24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair

Elizabeth Blair

Pros
  • With employment here you get a free gym membership (in 133 reviews)

• Hourly pay is in line with other positions, free gym membership (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management positions are replaced almost monthly if a club is below average (in 25 reviews)

• I worked there for years, and the only raise I ever got was when minimum wage went up (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Amongst the gyms out there, this one is a grand place to work!

Group X Instructor (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsDiversity Training, flexible schedules, up-to-date with technical interfaces and functions, well-rounded staff and strict on employee behaviors.

ConsSome of my fitness group managers feel entitled to be there and are not always caring about their part time instructors. My last boss was downright rude when I asked her about a raise after working there 6 years, even though my classes proved to be the most-attended in the gym. If I did the job for pay rate, I would leave, but I work there because I enjoy the membership we have.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that managers listen to their employees, even part time ones. Everyone is a part of the company. The company proves they care by making us take online classes and keeps us aware of trends, but it seems some managers can get away with anything still. Keep tabs on managers better?

Fun people, but under-appreciated!

Front Desk Representative (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsFree membership and that's it!

ConsAnd those three stars for the "rating of this company" is pushing it! You never get a thank you for working your butt off. The pay is too low ($7.73/hr) to deal with the members and staffs BS. There's no where to more up if you wanted to. Employee discount sucks ONLY 15% off not including already discounted items. And don't even think about trying to request a day because you WON'T get it. You can fill out an availability form but it won't make a difference because it doesn't matter what days you can and cannot work, they don't care.

DON'T NOT WORK HERE IF YOU HAVE BILLS TO PAY!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBlatant favoritism, no communication, appreciate the good employees you have, be flexible.

A GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Fitness Manager I (Current Employee) Lynnwood, WA (US)

ProsCompetitive pay, full-time employee benefits, 401K, friendly environment, fun place to work

ConsStress of hitting revenue goals which is at any job managerial overload from paperwork and admin work

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a genuine passion to help see all of your employees become successful. Take care of them and then they will take care of you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good

MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsNice people
    work life balance
    benefits
    company values
    you work at a gym you get to work out at a gym
    good looking people at the gym

Conslow pay
    leadership
    compensation
    perks
    unfortunately not much room for career advancement so i left yup
    self centered people because its a gym

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

Group Exercise Instructor

Group Exercise Instructor (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA (US)

Prosfree gym membership for myself and my spouse
    works around my schedule
    certification maintenance reimbursement
    easy to find a sub for classes

Consgroup exercise manager's are hard to get a hold of

Part Time Summer Job

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsRelaxed atmosphere among the customer service representatives and always able to interact with positive energetic gym members. Get free gym membership to any 24 hour fitness gym and have a community feeling when interacting with employees from other gyms. Easy to transfer working from different gyms.

ConsMembership salesmen are overly aggressive and often try and get members into packages that they have no desire to purchase. Many problems complaints directed for sales/management staff but the front desk staff takes the majority of those interactions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication between managers for sales, customer service, and training staff. Often feels like there are three separate companies within one and does not allow employees to be aware of all gym activities and it made us look bad representing the brand in front of gym members.

Master Trainer

Master Trainer (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsFlexible work hours. Decent commission from selling training packages.

ConsMoney Driven, must hit goals to help your salary. At times there is high pressure from management to sell, sell ,sell, so they can hit club goal for their bonus.

Slightly better than being unemployed.

Member Counselor (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsFree gym membership
    Fun co-workers
    Paychecks arrive on time
    Upward mobility if you want to move up in the company

ConsHigh pressure sales good without the commission or bonuses that one would expect.
    Sales/assessment metrics need to be refined.
    Corporate spends all of its efforts trying to get people in the doors by promising them free workouts, its your job to get them to purchase.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore squat racks.
    Eliminate the entire position by giving free trials only if you put a credit card on file that will automatically charge if it isn't cancelled before the trial period ends. Like every other company that does free trials.

Front Desk Receptionist

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat place to have communication and interaction with people that enjoy fitness and health. They had good training for each position and they provided several ways to learn.

ConsIt was hard to make process and get promotions to better position with better pay. I worked late at night sometimes and safety was always a concern for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay once individual progress and growth is seen.

Rewarding job, but you'll make more money at In n Out.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree membership. Great for personal networking. Amazing feeling to help members improve their quality of life.

ConsYour "strongly encouraged" to take extremely long breaks as to be in the gym for 50+ hours a week and not have to pay overtime. Absolutely 0 incentives to push sales (no commission), yet they expect more production than they did when commission was available. No work life balance. Ideal for ppl who live at home with mom or have no financial responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for. Stop expecting to get a Ferrari sales staff for the price of a Honda.

Worked for 24 Hour Fitness? Contribute to the Community!