eBay Inc.

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details 2 Phone screens and an onsite

Interview Question – core computer science and usual interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiated and agreed on mutually accepted offer

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2013.

Interview Details 2 skype interviews. Usually programming. Gayle lakman book algorithm questions.

4 onsite technical interivews which are agian from same book.

3 skype or onsite rounds with director/manager which can be combination of algorithms and managerial questions.

Interview Question – Given staircase on which you can climb 1,2 or 3 steps at time. Give count of all combinations to reach top of staircase.

Doubly linked list, find middle element and delete.

Remove all occurence of a character out of string in array.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Usually what you ask is what you get. Sometimes less than that. So they often bump up the joining bonus and relocation bonus to match up. Note that joining bonus are subject to 44% tax.

Interviewed at eBay Inc.

Interview Details Interview process went very smooth as I was getting hired as a full time employee coming from over a year working there as a contractor. Technical part was fun and challenging.

Interview Question – Why do I want to work at eBay.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details Got a call from recruiter and she setup 2 PS back to back .

The first interviewer was polite and would give time to think . he was sensible and patient .whereas the second interviewer who was member of technical staff was extremely rude and arrogant and looked to be in a hurry as it was friday eve 5.00 pm . she kept interrupting even when i said give me a minute to think. very bad style of interviewing people . she kept 15 mins for me to ask questions to her in 45 mins of interview process and gave me only 30 mins to answer two big data structure questions in which she did 15 mins of talking explaining questions .

i work for amazon so no way was going to settle with arrogant ppl.

Interview Question – explain priority queues   View Answer

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc. in October 2011.

Interview Details This was a group of Paypal folks and interviewers were pretty casual at the same time knowledgeable. I could feel the passion in their pulse. Also everybody looked very laid back and did not show stress on their faces which was most important to me.

Interview Question – There were a couple of on the go questions from the manager. These were not typical questions and he didn't really expect the correct answer but just wanted to know how I thought. From what I remember one was the way I would think to use quadratic equations to solve a daily problem. I don't remember the other one.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much was there to negotiate as they offer more than what I asked for.

San Jose, CA (US)

The process took 3 months - interviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2011.

Interview Details I got contacted by a recruiter back in Nov. We setup a time to talk, and then 2 phone interviews. One of them was primarily focused on Java. The other interviewer was more interested in general problem solving abilities, and my knowledge and experience with data mining. Both phone interviews went well and I was invited to an on-site interview.

I interviewed on-site for a couple of hours with 5 people and had lunch with the hiring manager. All interviewers were very nice to me and seemed interest in my experience and projects.

A week later I received a call from the recruiter saying they were giving me an offer. We went through the details and I accepted it. A few days later I was asked to complete all the necessary paperwork, including background check and references. Everything was fine up to that point. Then a new recruiter took over this hiring and we discussed relocation details etc.

A few days passed, then weeks, and I kept calling the recruiter to ask why I haven't gotten anything. The recruiter gave me different versions about the story, including that they were processing my offer letter. I've called them several times for many days and they sometimes answer the phone and say something different but never call me back.

To say the least, I am very disappointed. I declined two other job offers while I was going through this process, thinking I had a job. Now that I declined the other job offers, the recruiter doesn't even call me to tell me what happened to the job offer. Extremely unprofessional.

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2011.

Interview Details Got a call from recruiter.
First was a phone screening which went well.

Second phone was horrible :
Interviewer was not at all interested in taking interview, inspite of all the correct answers he gave a negative feedback.
He was looking frustrated and was in super hurry looked like he was on a coffee break while taking interview.
Did complaint to recruiter ..

Interview Questions

• Which one better to either div or table for a grid ?
    which will perform better ?
      Answer Question
  • what are different type of CSS selectors ?
    What are Id selectors ?
      Answer Question
  • what is difference between
    Arraylist a = new Arraylist (); and
    List a = new Arraylist () ?
  • what design patterns have you used .. explain how.   Answer Question
  • Difference between singleton and a class with all static methods.   Answer Question

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2011.

Interview Details The interview consisted of the following questions:

1. Lowest common ancestor problem with different scenarios. The interviewer asked me to come up with all possible solutions and then compare them.
2. Hash table related question.
3. Producer consumer problem.
4. C++ STL questions and class related questions (constructor, destructor, automatic garbage collection)
5. Implementation of heap
6. questions related to resume
7. implementation of hash table and collision resolving techniques

Interview Question – Implement heap.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You either accept it or leave it.

Very Easy Interview

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2011.

Interview Details Had a phone call from someone very junior who asked me very basic java questions and didn't even know the answers to some of the questions. I passed that one and the next was a coding exercise to be completed in 1 hour. I was able to complete more than half of it but the test timed out and the feedback was that I wasn't considered for the position. Not sure how they could judge the skills of a person based on a single phone interview and a coding puzzle.

Interview Question – Most questions were very simple like what is the SingleThreadModel in Servlets   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in November 2010.

Interview Details One of friend submitted my resume and got an email fixing a date for technical phone interview. The guy didn't call me first time and postponed it to another date.

Interview Questions

• How to identify the lowest level common ancestor for a given 2 nodes in a tree(not binary tree)   View Answer
  • What is dynamic programming   Answer Question
  • what is deadlock and also asked for a tool or way to identify dead lock. ( basically the guy had no idea what he is asking for)   Answer Question
  • Give 2 stack and implement a Queue.   View Answers (2)
Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at eBay Inc.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

eBay Inc. Videos

eBay Inc. – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​​From humble beginnings to a global company that’s changing the future of commerce, eBay Inc. has always been a place where innovation and collaboration are celebrated. Today, eBay Inc. fosters an entrepreneurial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eBay Inc. Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by eBay Inc. employees and interview candidates.