eBay Inc.

Updated 16 Jan, 2015
Updated 16 Jan, 2015

3.1

Team Lead Interview

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview was for a job in Ireland, I was prepared and I knew my stuff. Interviewer seemed rushed and made a quick decision about me. It took some scheduling due to time zone, recruiter was right on time, which is great, some other recruiters of similar companies seem late so gotten used to start interviews later. She had a heavy Irish accent so I was having a hard time understanding her, seemed like a nice person but overly rushed. Nothing out of the ordinary, but when it came to my questions, she led me to believe that the questions will be answered in next stage which never happened.

Interview Questions
    • why do I want to work there? I hate that question, I always want to say I want to work there because you have a job that fits my skills, and I am unemployed, but always give them what they want to hear, great company, successful returns, and .... I wish I could ask them in return, why do you want me to work for you?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Applied online and got an interview.
    It was not too simple in the beginning since they have specific wants in the resume and stuff
    however, I managed and was able to get the position.
    During the interveiw they asked me a few behavioural questions and they also asked me what i did in the past internships. I had to say what kind of leadership roles i took during my past internship and they also asked what were my weaknesses during that time.
    Overall interview was not too bad, maybe because it was for a random marketing intern position.
    Overall good,and i had a great experience working at ebay.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2010.

Interviewed by HR, very positive experience. Very nice person in HR.
    Interviewed by VP, surprisingly rude and uninterested.
    Focused on b2b experience.

Front End Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. in January 2015.

After sending the CV I've got a "motivational" telephone interview of about half an hour. The day after I was asked to take a full day off to go to their office to have face2face interview without any hurry (but they just want to waste my time as I discovered later).
    I took 2 separate technical interview with 3 different people from different team for about a little more of 2 hours in total, I did answer to all their answer that were not very difficult.

After a couple of days they said me I was a good candidate but they rejected me because
    A) I was a full stack developer and they were searching for a Front End position. Of course they ignored my CV as long what I did said during the first telephone interview regarding exactly this issue.
    B) Due to my background I said that visual studio is a great IDE, but the interviewer was a complete open source taliban. Again, they should read better the CV and not advertising in their job position their fake appreciation of previous .Net experience.
    C) I was answering their questions giving a lot of details and example

The only fair point here is the first one, and they could avoid to waste 1 day of my life for 2 hours of in place interview when they had already decided to not to hire me.

Interview Questions
    • Very predictable and plain questions about javascript, html and OO programming.   Answer Question

Head of Employee Communications EMEA Interview

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc..

As an experienced professional, I was surprised by the recruiting process and initial interview at Ebay. The interview was from the position that I was LUCKY to be interviewed--when in fact the market favors employees in Europe in this field at the moment.

The recruiter treated me with suspicion, as if she were trying to catch me in a lie. When I explained to her projects that I had worked on, she had told me I was speaking at "too high a level" and "what did I actually do"? She wanted me to get to the level of "I made a PowerPoint, I wrote a Q and A". Turns out despite the senior title, they want someone very operational. They told another candidate that the strategy and action plan had been validated through 2015 and the job holder would just deliver off the detailed plan! Then why are you interviewing senior people who have years of strategic AND operational experience?

I am puzzled as to why they are recruiting at all. In the end, they ended up cancelling the search because they had someone temporary in the job already.

I've been through a lot of interviews in my career--both good and bad--Ebay takes the prize as the worst one. It not only turned me off to the company as an employer but also the brand.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me the months that you started and ended each job on your resume (I had only listed years).   View Answer

Associate Manager Vertical Analytics Interview

The hiring process had multiple rounds. There were telephonic as well as F2F interviews. The process was smooth and the interviewers were all polite and helpful.Each round was an elimination round. There were SQL questions, interpretation of graphs/charts and standard guesstimate questions. There were past work ex related PI rounds also.

Interview Questions
    • Some SQL ranking (analytical functions) questions were there   Answer Question

Customer Solutions Teammate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2014.

After applying and submitting my resume online, it took about a week to receive a phone call to schedule a phone interview.
    The phone interview took about 30 minutes. I was given a brief description if the job I was being interviewed for, the shift times/days, the job location, and the pay rate. During the phone interview I was asked typical behavioral questions like "Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer", "Tell me about a time when you above and beyond your job duties in order to get the job done". (They really want the interviewee to give specific examples from their experience with a positive outcome.) I was given immediate feedback and ways to prepare for the next step of the hiring process (face-to-face interview).
    I was offered a face-to-face interview at the end of my phone interview. The next step was providing eBay with 5 references (at least 2 of those references had to be past or present supervisors/managers) before I could be allowed to attend the face-to-face interview.

Arrive at least 15-minutes early to the facility where you will be given the face-to-face interview, as you will have to go through security and be asked to show a valid ID (make sure you have a valid ID with you).
    At the face-to-face interview, there were 3 job candidates scheduled at the same time slot, which I felt was awkward at first. At the end of my interview, I understood why eBay does a "group" tour/assessment: to save them time and resources. We were given a brief tour of the call center, asked to complete a computer assessment, and given the opportunity to observe a live call with a representative.
    During the computer assessment, there are 3 "scripted" call scenarios that are listened to. While listening there is information to correct and submit (the information is not paused or repeated, so listen carefully and type quickly), and a timed typing test (which begins as soon as the screen appears, so click in the box and begin right away). At the end of the computer assessment, there is a recorded live call to observe and take notes on. (Take notes as the interviewer will ask for your opinion on the caller and teammate, and maybe how you would have handled the call differently.)
    After the assessment, they will either ask you to move to a semi-private room to meet with the interviewer (department team-leader), or ask you to observe live calls with a representative for about 20-minutes.
    During the actual interview, you are asked more behavioral questions as well as "Why did you apply for this position", "Tell me about a time when you had a bad experience as a customer, and what would have done differently (as the business representative) to make the customer's experience better", "Tell me about a time when a co-worker made a mistake in front of a customer and what you did to correct it", and "Tell be about a time when you to meet certain goals or metrics and how you were able to accomplish them". After the 20-ish minute interview, I was asked if had any questions, so I asked, "What does a typical work day look like in the call center?". The interviewer was more than happy to answer that, and was able to share what the expectations would be as far as personal metrics and goals for the position. The interviewer said I would hear something by the end of the week (2-3 days).
    All in all, I have greatly enjoyed the hiring process with eBay thus far. It has been been very informative, and a great way to see what the job expectations are first-hand.
    I received an email the day after the face-to-face interview, for the background check, and am awaiting a response within 1-3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time that you had to deal with a customer that had previously had a bad experience with your company."   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc..

Ebay needs a more standard recruiting process. I applied through a career fair at my university. The interview process took two months for me, with an in person at my campus and a long one at their HQ.

Interview questions were creative and product based. It wasn't too technical, although I did have to give some considerations to the technical feasibility of my ideas.

Interview Questions
    • How can you improve <insert random product>?   View Answer

Resolutions Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at eBay Inc..

simple...because of expierence...got job on the spot...very nice people and they are relaxed so its easy to talk to them.they are down to earth and if you got the talent just show personality.

none

Analytics Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2014.

I had 3 telephone interviews and 4 face to face interviews over a 7 month period. The final interview consisted of 4 back to back interviews each lasting one hour with a different person. I was surprised to find that I did not see any English people in the Richmond London office. I can only assume that eBay does not employ English people.

Interview Questions
    • What has happened to eBay in the news recently?   View Answer