eBay Inc. Interview Questions

3.1

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2010.

Interviewed by HR, very positive experience. Very nice person in HR.
    Interviewed by VP, surprisingly rude and uninterested.
    Focused on b2b experience.

Network Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

I met a recruiter at a career fair and got a call within next week. First interview was phone and he asked technical questions. Second interview was by manager. He focused on perl language and I said I dont know perl. So I got rejected.

General Ledger Accountant - Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2014.

I recently interviewed at eBay Inc and I felt it was a good experience. The hiring process at eBay is seriously slow so be mindful of that. I applied online and about a month later a HR person contacted me via email. I then had a brief phone interview later on that week and it went well. Mostly the conversation was about the position and if it was something that I would be interested in. A week later I was given a date to come in for a interview at the eBay office.

Parking was quite difficult to find as it was really full and also many people didn't seem to know how to park their cars so they took up two spots instead of one.

The Interview itself was okay. I had interviews with 4 different persons and I think that for the HR manager the time should be more than 30 mins. I felt it was too rushed and quite difficult to show case yourself in such a short amount of time. I could tell they wanted to talk to me some more but had to leave because the next person was waiting at the door.

The questions they asked was more about my background, achievements, what my expectations where in the future etc. Nothing complicated or very difficult to answer especially if you have worked on getting prepared for the interview.

After a week I got the generic email that they decided to go with another candidate. I think it came down to what the HR manager wanted in a persons personality.

I was disappointed but well I am glad to have gotten the opportunity to interview with them.

Interview Questions
    • I hope HR improves with the interview process by allowing more time with the HR Manager. Lots of questions where asked on how a cash rec was done or Fixed assets etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2013.

College recruitment. It was around OOP concepts and also your knowledge about recent web technologies. Involving in open source project is a plus. Asked about Thread concepts in java. And they expect for core Java knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about Google app engine and facebook app development.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

There were 3 rounds of interviews after the written round. The written round was pretty difficult with time taking questions. There were 50 questions to be done in a span of 60 minutes. There were 2 technical interviews. Tech-1 involved a software case analysis. A real time problem was given and code had to be written.

Interview Questions
    • Every question required detailed analysis. There was no question straight from the book.   Answer Question

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2014.

HR process after interview takes long (3 weeks in my case), onsite interview is well planned out though. The post interview process might take a few weeks too so be patient.

Interview Questions
    • javascript self invoking functions and data structures, UI related questions are what can be expected, with a slight twist.   Answer Question
    negotiation was not an issue.

Director Level Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Campbell, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2014.

Got asked to interview mostly because I was able to connect to the hiring manager via a contact I have at eBay. I suspect that uploading resumes would not have worked.

Initial "screening" call with HR ("talent acquisition") was fairly bland, just talking about why I wanted to work for eBay.

Main interview took place a week later, with a series of 6x 30-60 minute one-on-one interviews lasting all morning and into the mid-afternoon. Many of the interviewers appeared unprepared, with very few probing questions, lots of repetition between them, and quite a few empty gaps where you could see them trying to think of something else to ask.

A more junior interviewer had obviously been asked to run a case study, but it was pretty simple - "what process and tests would you run to check the effectiveness of this change to the user interface".

Some questions came up about my lack of retail experience, but as this role was more related to business operations, I stated that it's more my business operations experience that counts.

A week later, I was offered the role and sent all the relevant forms to fill in, along with a request for references.

Unfortunately this is where things started to go wrong... My 6 reference (must have 5+) were sent a link to a web-based review questionnaire from an external company called "Skillsurvey". This was a full-on 360 review. I had to chase the references to let them know what was going on, as they had many problems with something appearing in their inboxes that looked suspiciously like spam / phishing. No problem with 360 reviews, I've had a ton before, but it would be useful to explain how this fits into the process.

Silence ensued for 2 weeks, with no feedback from eBay until a week prior to my allotted start-date. At this point I had a call from the HR rep to say that my references were not to the "standard required" by the company and my offer has been withdrawn.

I asked for feedback in the form of the anonymized report from Skillsurvey, but they refused to share this. I reached out to my referees who all confirmed that they'd given me high marks, nothing that would indicate that they didn't think I'm a strong fit for the role. However, none of the referees are able to access what they submitted online to check / confirm this.

Obviously something has gone wrong with the Skillsurvey black box? Have eBay received the correct data (they referred to my low scores being "across all five references", even though I'd had 6...) Surely eBay would be keen to understand this and rectify if possible? No. After sending copies of positive comments from the referees, I have had stony silence from eBay with no desire to either provide me with useful constructive feedback, or potentially just explain that although I got an average of 6 out of 7 they are looking for 6.5 out of 7...

In summary, the interview process was quite simplistic and the post-interview experience has been very poor with little interest in providing useful feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Many people were interested in knowing my eBay feedback score.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2014.

first round - online test - multiple choice aptitude (1 hour) - permutations, probability, work and time, speed distance, relantionships, trains
    second round - technical and projects (two - three rounds)
    third round - hr and technical

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

The interview and hiring process was very well done and very fast. After a few 1-2 hour phone calls they gave me the offer. They have over 400 interns throughout all of eBay (Marketplaces, PayPal, Magento, Braintree and Venmo, Enterprise, Stubhub, etc.) and so you enter with a class of about 50-100 students. Everybody is very smart and from a very good university or college. They are mostly looking for PHD's and Master's students. Also, so many students apply that you will probably need at least some sort of connection.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the interview was spent on my previous work and what I had created. They asked specifically about projects that I had worked on with a team.   Answer Question
    The salary is not negotiable. However, you will find that to be just fine because the pay is about as high as it gets. Also they give you incredible housing (instead of just a stipend where you have to go and find your housing and somehow furnish an apartment) as well as fund your travel expenses.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calicut, Kerala (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calicut, Kerala (India)

The interviewer was really cool. The company as a whole is cool. They want people who knows data structures and thorough knowledge on programming. He asked me to write a code on printing the duplicates in an array of 20 nos. I was supposed to use data structures I guess but I did it another way. I am a ECE student and I was not well aware of data structure stuff and all. Still the interview was pretty comfy and I enjoyed it.

Interview Questions

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!