Zillow

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Zillow in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied through Glassdoor, and have got the response pretty quickly got a coding challenge with two questions which were discussed earlier

-> Convert String to Long without using library functions in any programming language
-> Implement insert and delete in ternary search tree
ternary search tree - Same as binary search tree but does have one more node under the parent node with same value
example -> node 5 has 4 on the left and 6 on the right and has 5 right below it. Three nodes to each node.

the recruiter has sent me an email saying clearly :- Do it at your own time, As i had other interviews lined up for the week I have done it exactly in one week. I have got the answers right and checked every possible way and test cases. But the main reason to decline in my case i think was the time taken to submit the coding challenge. It exactly took me one day to finish the coding challenge. but i cannot explain it so the rejection.

Interview Question – Ternary search tree deletion.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details 1. Submit code exercise online

Interview Question – No difficult questions, basic algorithms and data structures.
Sum of the fibonacci number
  View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details Phone interview.
1.Ask how to figure out if an integer is out of range.
2.Common ancestor of two nodes in binary tree.,

Interview Question – Not difficult. But I am so nervous.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Zillow in March 2013.

Interview Details HR sent me 2 questions to answer at first. One phone interview was conducted to ask me several basic technical questions. Then on-site interview.

Interview Question – Basic technical questions like design a database and find a node in a BST.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow in December 2012.

Interview Details I was asked to solve a problem in java and submit the code to them, then I guess they were impressed enough to schedule two phone interviews, and again I was good enough that I was invited for an on-site interview in Seattle. I lived out of town (about 3 hours away) so I had to drive in for the interview. I had 5 interviews, which seemed to progress in order of seniority. Everything went pretty well, I thought, but I never heard back from anyone. I even sent a follow-up email a week later politely asking if they needed any more information, but never heard a thing. In my opinion it's extremely unprofessional to simply ignore a candidate after they've written a code sample, done 2 phone interviews and 5 hours of on-site interviews. Not impressed with the recruiting.

Interview Question – None, mostly questions right out of popular coding interview books.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Zillow in February 2013.

Interview Details Shortly after submitting my application I received an email asking me to complete and send in a coding test. They were simple questions including converting a string into an integer, and dealing with BST insertion and deletion. After I passed this test I had a 20-minute phone interview with just a couple quick technical questions. Finally, I was called in for an in-person interview. I interviewed with 3 different software engineers, each for one hour. The interviews were mostly technical questions, which I would write up solutions to on a whiteboard. In one of my interviews, the interviewer asked me a question and as I wrote out and described my solution I could see him working on his smartphone out of the corner of my eye. Then when I looked over at him to check in 5 minutes later he was dozing off. Pretty discouraging. Other then that the interview process was very thorough and I liked the other software developers I met with, who seemed very bright, friendly and passionate about their work.

Interview Question – Find all anagrams of a given word. A array including all English words is provided.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details ask some technical questions, not very hard

Interview Question – Compare the node in an unsorted d- tree   Answer Question

Kirkland, WA (US)

I interviewed at Zillow in October 2012.

Interview Details They have a very thorough interview process starting with a series of phone interviews. The first stage was from HR where they confirm that you are still interested, then they setup a time for higher level HR phone interview. The second HR interview asked for some detail on work history, general knowledge of software development and pay range. After satisfying the HR review with the hiring manager. I received an email with some coding exercises involving creating a method to manipulate strings and creating a Class similar to a binary tree with several capabilities. Afterwards I received an invite to a phone interview with the hiring manager. That interview required fast and deep responses to questions about algorithms especially the one I had created.

Interview Question – They asked questions to get a feel for how well you understand Software development.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Zillow in November 2012.

Interview Details I applied online, and then was promptly asked for a code sample. There were two problems to complete which were relatively simple, involving string parsing and implementing a tree. I was given the rest of the week to finish the sample.

After I supplied the sample, I was emailed for a phone interview. The phone interview was fairly smooth, with mostly programming and a simple math question, not a ton of behavioral / company fit questions. After the phone interview, I was emailed for an onsite interview which could last 2-4 hours.

I arrived for the in-person interview. It was very relaxed, and fairly typical. I was placed in a room with a whiteboard wall, and I was told 2-4 people would interview me for an hour each. The interviewers increase in seniority, and I assume that if you do poorly, they don't bother to finish the last two interviews. I was given a lunch menu: Lots of vegan / gluten free friendly options.

I was told I would receive a final say in about a week, but this was surrounding the holidays.

Interview Question – Reduce a mail address to a maximum of N characters while preserving all numbers, and maintaining readability.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Zillow in October 2011.

Interview Details I applied online for a Lead Software Development Engineer position that consisted of direct contributing and managing a very small team of other developers. I heard back from a recruiting coordinator within a few days and he set up a phone call to discuss my interest in the position and my background. After that, he directed me to another recruiting coordinator who helped get me set up with a phone screen interview. Though the position was heavy on Java, I was allowed to answer questions from a C# perspective since I had more experience with that language. Overall, the conversation I had with the phone screener went well, but I think the general feeling on both sides was that I wasn't the best fit given my weakness with Java/server development and perhaps a little too much management experience (since I was used to managing teams with both direct and indirect reports). Although I came away with no offer, my conversations with the recruiting coordinators and the phone screener were positive.

Interview Question – How does garbage collection work in .NET?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Zillow

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!

Zillow Videos

Zillow – Why Work for Us?

Zillow is an online real estate marketplace where homeowners, buyers, sellers, renters, real estate agents and mortgage professionals find and share vital information about homes and mortgages. Launched in early… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zillow Software Development Engineer interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Zillow employees and interview candidates.