Zillow

Updated 29 Sep, 2014

3.2

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow in September 2014.

Initial HR Screen,
Coding Test

Submitted the answers to their coding test after spending about a day. They rejected even for the initial phone interview right after the coding test. Not sure what went wrong in the coding test or what is their expectation. Whatever it may, set the right expectation for the coding test so that people don't waste their time

Interview Questions
  • Trinary tree add/delete - Well, this can be easy or difficult depends on what you are trying to solve.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Zillow

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow in September 2014.

Applied online via their website. Was contacted shortly after and asked to complete 2 coding challenges. They were the same other people mentioned here. Convert a string to a long and implement insert and delete on a trinary tree. I have near 10 years of experience and know quite well how to do things such as this. Still, I took my time and spent about 4 hours making sure all of the code was write. I wrote plenty of unit tests to ensure it would all work and added comments all over as to be sure my intent in the code. After making sure the code was working perfectly, I submitted it to the HR person. A few days later and I find out that they decided to pass on me due to my answers to the coding challenges. I'm not quite sure what it is Zillow is looking for exactly. It boggles my my mind that they would pass on me this early on without even speaking to me any further or asking for more challenging puzzles to solve. The hiring process here is some of the worst I have seen. It would be nice to have a little feedback about what it is exactly they are looking for. I wanna agree with the other reviewer on here that more than likely they are using some kind of random guess or lottery pick to choose who gets to move on or not. I was not pleased with how this all turned out. In light of that, I do not recommend at all!

Interview Questions
    • None, these were both easy questions to answer. I would have loved to opportunity to have tried something more challenging, then at least I would understand why they turned me down, but not for the ones they asked me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Zillow in June 2014.

Applied online and got a call form a technical recruiter. I was then given a coding exercise to complete at home and send. The questions were pretty simple as mentioned in some other person here - string to long, insert & delete in trinary tree. I completed the exercise along with JUnit test cases covering all possible scenarios I could think of and returned it early morning the next day. After a day I received an email saying they would not be moving forward with me. When I asked for feedback I was told it was based on my coding exercise. I am surprised with this since my code was working and did what the requirements asked, was well tested and documented(in my opinion). The only conclusion I can draw is, they were doing some sort of lottery to pick candidates for the next round of interviews ;-)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Zillow in May 2014.

Referred by recruiter and given what seems like standard questions from the other posts on here. Very long turn around and getting final decision.

1. String to long conversion
    2. Trinary (trenary) tree insert and delete

I spent about 3-4 hours getting problems coded up, documented, and tested. Solid rejection with no explanation other than my code wasn't good enough. Let's set things straight, I have 10+ years of experience, my code was well documented and had full java doc comments. I had accompanying unit tests to verify functionality and even made the trenary tree problem with generics. The only thing that could have possibly been done better is making the tree auto balancing, but given that most at home coding challenges are 30-60 minutes I felt like I already expanded enough effort.

Whoever is reviewing the coding solutions has an UNUSUALLY UNREALISTIC BAR.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow in April 2014.

The first call with a recruiter was followed immediately by their standard take-home coding exercises: insert/delete from a ternary tree (which they call a tri-nary tree) and converting a string into a long. Straightforward questions. I decided to include not only a solution but also unit tests, and in such a way that I would expect to pass a code review for check-in. This isn't my first dev job. While the code functioned, and as far as I know was production-quality, I received an email about one day after I submitted the response that they were not going to ask me in for a screening. Disappointing, as I have no idea what they were looking for that I didn't do. I heard this complaint from other reviewers, but I assumed that they just solved the problem the fastest way -- I thought for sure having tests, comment blocks, and code structured for use in an application would impress enough for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't difficult, but obviously I wasn't able to provide something they were looking for (and not asking for).   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Zillow.

1. Submit code exercise online

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, basic algorithms and data structures.
      Sum of the fibonacci number
        View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow in February 2014.

Applied through Glassdoor, and have got the response pretty quickly got a coding challenge with two questions which were discussed earlier

-> Convert String to Long without using library functions in any programming language
    -> Implement insert and delete in ternary search tree
    ternary search tree - Same as binary search tree but does have one more node under the parent node with same value
    example -> node 5 has 4 on the left and 6 on the right and has 5 right below it. Three nodes to each node.

the recruiter has sent me an email saying clearly :- Do it at your own time, As i had other interviews lined up for the week I have done it exactly in one week. I have got the answers right and checked every possible way and test cases. But the main reason to decline in my case i think was the time taken to submit the coding challenge. It exactly took me one day to finish the coding challenge. but i cannot explain it so the rejection.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

Phone interview.
    1.Ask how to figure out if an integer is out of range.
    2.Common ancestor of two nodes in binary tree.,

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Zillow in March 2013.

HR sent me 2 questions to answer at first. One phone interview was conducted to ask me several basic technical questions. Then on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Basic technical questions like design a database and find a node in a BST.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Zillow.

ask some technical questions, not very hard