Zillow

Zillow Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 21 Feb, 2015
Updated 21 Feb, 2015

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow.

Got an email asking to solve 2 coding problems as soon as possible. Finished in one week, and got no feedback on the problems. After one week, received another email said that I was rejected.

Other Interview Reviews for Zillow

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

I had applied online and also contacted the HR via email. The HR replied asking me to start on with the process
    Step 1: Take home coding challenge - the same 2 questions that Zillow asks everyone
    I completed this in 4 days
    Step 2: Phone interview
         - general discussion on my previous projects
         - find all pairs that add up to a certain value in an array
    Step 3: Skype interview
         - general discussion on my previous projects
         - find lowest common ancestor
    Step 4: Onsite - 4 technical rounds on whiteboard with different team members. The code that you write needs to be perfectly compilable.

Over all my experience was great. The HR was very quick to follow up and I completed my process very fast. Amazing office in downtown Seattle, with a great view from the 34th floor.

The interviews were very helpful and always carried a happy face.

Interview Questions
    • a modified dynamic programming took me some time to figure out   Answer Question
    They had a great offer (overall including benefits) and I loved the company culture, so took it straight away.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Applied online, received word from a recruiter that they wanted me to complete a coding exercise, as others here have stated. Completed the exercise, sent it to them, was told that it would be reviewed by an engineer, and heard that I would not be moving forward.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow.

First they sent me two coding problems to finish. It's not difficult. The first one is convert a string to a long int. The second is implement insert and delete in a tri-nary tree. Two or three days after I submitted my solution, they made a phone interview with me. Why Zillow? How do I know Zillow? They also gave me some questions to coding in collabedit, such as Fibonacci, factorial calculation, which are not difficult.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Three weeks after submitting my resume, I got the email from recruiter. Two coding questions just like many have said. Two phone interview, just normal questions. And Onsite interview. Great office location.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow in November 2014.

They sent me one coding challenge consisting of two questions one is to implement insert and delete for tri-nary search tree, other one is to convert string to integer. They just asked me to send code in a file, they don't use Hacker rank or any such tools. I did both and tested it well, but i got a rejection mail after three days. I have read similar experiences.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Zillow in November 2014.

Offline programming assignment containing 2 questions.
    1) Implement the function to convert a string to integer.
    2)Implement a ternary tree, i.e a tree in which each node has three children left, right and middle. Left is smaller than the node value, right is larger and center is equal to the node value.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in November 2014.

I talked to a recruiter at a career fair and gave them my resume. A week or so later they sent out a coding challenge, which I completed and sent back the next day. They responded very quickly, and I was set up with a phone interview for the following week, which consisted of big-O questions, then a short coding question involving data structures. We had some time left over, so he talked about working at Zillow and answered some questions I had. The interviewer was very nice and organized, and it went well overall.

A few days later I got an email saying I had passed the phone interview phase and they wanted me to come in for an onsite interview sometime the following week. Onsite, I was interviewed by three separate employees for about 45 minutes each. They have you sign an NDA, but the questions were typical of what you expect from an interview for a coding position, nothing extremely easy, but nothing insane either. I got a bit stuck on one problem, but the interviewer did a nice job of nudging me in the right direction. After the technical interviews, they gave me a tour of the place and answered any remaining questions I had. I got a call two days later saying they enjoyed talking with me, and gave me an offer that I had two weeks to decide on, which I accepted. I received interviews with three other companies, and Zillow's was the most enjoyable by far.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in November 2014.

I applied for Zillow on its website and received an test including two algorithms problems without time limit. Got phone interview but did not pass it. I solved the the problems and follow-up. Don’t know what’s wrong

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Zillow in October 2014.

They first sent me a two programming questions to solve by email before anything else, and supposedly it is always the same questions. I am a hundred percent sure, as they are fairly easy, that I solved both them really well, however, after sending them in they simply said, thank you for your effort but we cannot proceed any further at this moment.

Interview Questions
    • Given a string, write a routine that converts the string to a long, without using the
      built in functions that would do this. Describe what (if any) limitations the code has.

Answer Question
    • Implement insert and delete in a tri-nary tree. A tri-nary tree is much like a binary tree but with three child nodes for each parent instead of two -- with the left node being values less than the parent, the right node values greater than the parent, and the middle nodes values equal to the parent.   Answer Question