Zillow

Updated 30 Jan, 2015

3.1

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow.

Got an email asking to solve 2 coding problems as soon as possible. Finished in one week, and got no feedback on the problems. After one week, received another email said that I was rejected.

Other Interview Reviews for Zillow

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

I had applied online and also contacted the HR via email. The HR replied asking me to start on with the process
    Step 1: Take home coding challenge - the same 2 questions that Zillow asks everyone
    I completed this in 4 days
    Step 2: Phone interview
         - general discussion on my previous projects
         - find all pairs that add up to a certain value in an array
    Step 3: Skype interview
         - general discussion on my previous projects
         - find lowest common ancestor
    Step 4: Onsite - 4 technical rounds on whiteboard with different team members. The code that you write needs to be perfectly compilable.

Over all my experience was great. The HR was very quick to follow up and I completed my process very fast. Amazing office in downtown Seattle, with a great view from the 34th floor.

The interviews were very helpful and always carried a happy face.

Interview Questions
    • a modified dynamic programming took me some time to figure out   Answer Question
    They had a great offer (overall including benefits) and I loved the company culture, so took it straight away.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Applied online, received word from a recruiter that they wanted me to complete a coding exercise, as others here have stated. Completed the exercise, sent it to them, was told that it would be reviewed by an engineer, and heard that I would not be moving forward.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow.

First they sent me two coding problems to finish. It's not difficult. The first one is convert a string to a long int. The second is implement insert and delete in a tri-nary tree. Two or three days after I submitted my solution, they made a phone interview with me. Why Zillow? How do I know Zillow? They also gave me some questions to coding in collabedit, such as Fibonacci, factorial calculation, which are not difficult.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Three weeks after submitting my resume, I got the email from recruiter. Two coding questions just like many have said. Two phone interview, just normal questions. And Onsite interview. Great office location.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow in November 2014.

They sent me one coding challenge consisting of two questions one is to implement insert and delete for tri-nary search tree, other one is to convert string to integer. They just asked me to send code in a file, they don't use Hacker rank or any such tools. I did both and tested it well, but i got a rejection mail after three days. I have read similar experiences.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Zillow in November 2014.

Offline programming assignment containing 2 questions.
    1) Implement the function to convert a string to integer.
    2)Implement a ternary tree, i.e a tree in which each node has three children left, right and middle. Left is smaller than the node value, right is larger and center is equal to the node value.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in November 2014.

I applied for Zillow on its website and received an test including two algorithms problems without time limit. Got phone interview but did not pass it. I solved the the problems and follow-up. Don’t know what’s wrong

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow in September 2014.

Applied online via their website. Was contacted shortly after and asked to complete 2 coding challenges. They were the same other people mentioned here. Convert a string to a long and implement insert and delete on a trinary tree. I have near 10 years of experience and know quite well how to do things such as this. Still, I took my time and spent about 4 hours making sure all of the code was write. I wrote plenty of unit tests to ensure it would all work and added comments all over as to be sure my intent in the code. After making sure the code was working perfectly, I submitted it to the HR person. A few days later and I find out that they decided to pass on me due to my answers to the coding challenges. I'm not quite sure what it is Zillow is looking for exactly. It boggles my my mind that they would pass on me this early on without even speaking to me any further or asking for more challenging puzzles to solve. The hiring process here is some of the worst I have seen. It would be nice to have a little feedback about what it is exactly they are looking for. I wanna agree with the other reviewer on here that more than likely they are using some kind of random guess or lottery pick to choose who gets to move on or not. I was not pleased with how this all turned out. In light of that, I do not recommend at all!

Interview Questions
    • None, these were both easy questions to answer. I would have loved to opportunity to have tried something more challenging, then at least I would understand why they turned me down, but not for the ones they asked me.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow in September 2014.

Initial HR Screen,
    Coding Test

Submitted the answers to their coding test after spending about a day. They rejected even for the initial phone interview right after the coding test. Not sure what went wrong in the coding test or what is their expectation. Whatever it may, set the right expectation for the coding test so that people don't waste their time

Interview Questions
    • Trinary tree add/delete - Well, this can be easy or difficult depends on what you are trying to solve.   View Answer