Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated 21 Apr, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I tried to reach two times already. She gave me feedback then I redid the scenario. Afterwards she asked me to come in for an onsite interview in their nyc office. I had three 20 minute interviews. All of them were different role play scenarios so definitely prep yourself for that and study ahead! If you don't you'll struggle because it's a lot of on the spot/think fast type situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you almost quit and ended up persevering.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Received an email to get set up for a phone screening. The phone screening was about 20 minutes. Make sure you are familiar with the position and what Yelp does. The interviewer will ask you questions about what you know about the position and the company. She also asked me just some background info about myself about examples of when I've worked on teams and why sales and why Yelp. At the end there is a role play. You have to leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times. She told me at the end of the interview that I would be moving onto the next round and since I am out of state, it would be conducted over Skype. She gave me about 4 open times and I had to choose one.

The second interview is on Skype. At first, they require you to log onto Skype about 15 minutes before your interview. The recruiting coordinator will give you a call to test out the connection and just say hi and ask if you have any questions before the interview happens. She will give you a quick overview of what the interviews will be like. I met with 2 sales managers and each asked basic questions and then finished with a role play. Make sure you listen to their feedback because they will allow you to do it again and they are looking for you to make the changes they spoke to you about. They were both super cool and easy to talk to so don't be intimidated by them.

2 hours after my interview ended, the recruiter called me saying I had moved on to the next round which is a 20 minute webinar about the career paths and training and also a background check.

Interview Questions

• Describe a typical day as an account executive at Yelp.
      Tell me about a time when you competed for something and didn't get it.
      Role Plays scenarios:
      1. Leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times.
      2. Sell me Yelp. I am a car repair shop.
      3. You've already met with me and I own a hair salon. I am calling you to let you know that I really enjoyed your presentation, but I am going to advertise in the local newspaper instead. Convince me not to.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Pretty easy interview process. Still unsure what they exactly wanted in a account executive. The phone screen was easy (just a personality test) then the one on one interview at their office in Manhattan. The interview was with two hiring managers and was more of conversation than an actual interview. I felt they had already made up their mind by the time I explained my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral with the process taking 2 weeks. HR called to set-up a 20 minute phone screen with a Sales Manager.

Phone screen ADVICE:
    - Have a set answer as with WHY you want to work for Yelp (culture, growth opps, personality is Yelp, make sure you say that you are an avid Yelp user!)
    - Have a set answer as to WHY you want to work in sales (challenging, rewarding, commission, etc.)
    - What skills do you have that will make you successful in sales? (coachable, competitive, etc.)
    - What motivates you, especially in sales/when you are struggling? (commission, fully stocked kitchen, happy hours, the culture, the co-workers.)
    - Research Yelp. What awards has Yelp received, etc.
    - Ask questions.

In-person ADVICE:
    You will have 2-3 in-person interviews at the Yelp office. Basically, all the same questions will be asked above during these interviews. You will then have role play.
    - During role play, don't stress, make it a conversation.
    - Implement their feedback, and you will do role play again. They are looking to see if you are coachable.
    - Dress to impress.
    - Write down their email, send a thank-you note.

Webinar
    If you make it pass the in-person interviews, you will be asked to attend a webinar. An HR recruiter will go thru the training program, and your career path with Yelp. Good news!

Interview Questions

• I am a pizza parlor in Brooklyn. I have never heard of Yelp. Schedule an appointment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online, During the first call back i was asked a few questions, then asked to do a scenario. Very simple stuff the second and third interview was in the office in NY. They basically were repetitive of the phone interview, but different scenarios.

Interview Questions

• You've been on the phone all day and heard at least 80 No's, what would you do differently on the next call?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone interview with a recruiting manager. It was mainly a phone screen that contained many of the usual interview questions. Then I was asked to move on in the process with a Skype interview since I am unable to come into the New York office for an in person interview. The interview lasted around 45 minutes and I talked to 2 separate people. They wanted to know more about my background, why I was interested in Yelp, what I wanted out of a career with them and what experience I have had with sales. They also wanted to see personality over formality and the conversations flowed and were not one sided. They want to see how well you do in high stress sales environments and if you able to do well with critiques and situations in which you are not ideally performing your best in the work place. They did a couple of role play situations where you were calling a business. Very great interviewing process overall and really great organizational company to work with.

Interview Questions

• If you weren't meeting your sales goals how would you try to improve and do better?   Answer Question
    • how do you handle high stress situations?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Short phone interview with a role play then a Skype interview a little more in depth. The phone interview role play was cold calling a pizza shop.

The Skype role plays were cold calling a pizza shop and then cold calling a store that you already talked to but decided to go with newspaper ads.

Do some research on Yelp. Know why you want to do sales. Know how you will be good at it. Know a time that you failed and kept going.

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I dropped the resume at the Yelp University talk, and I waited around 3 weeks to get the interview, the interview was online judge and it took around 45mins, including basic programming knowledges like bit manipulation and data structures, and maybe some programming languages questions, and one last programming test which asked to write a specific function, related to the yelp app I think

Interview Questions

• They asked me to code a yelp function as several functions were required.   Answer Question

Ad Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Met one on one with two different people. They had the applicants role play how they would handle a typical sales call. Make sure that you close the sale when that comes up, and make sure you have a really condensed definition of "What is Yelp." The vibe of the call should be friendly, and not like you're trying to push a product on someone.

Interview Questions

• What is something difficult you have had to do?   Answer Question
    • How would you describe Yelp to someone who had never heard of it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I had an upbeat phone call with a member of the Ad Sales team. I was brought in for an in person interview with two managers who each had laminated sheets of how to interview Account Executives. Both were charismatic individuals who probably acquitted their job responsibilities well. However, the interview took place in a faceless somewhat dilapidated office away from the rest of the operation. There was a lack of enthusiasm about the role and a kind of bleary-eyed-ness in the case of both interviewers. A lack of empathy and personality ruled the day, which felt surprising given all the warm fuzzies that I had read about on Glassdoor.

Interview Questions

• What would you tell a pizza shop owner who is busy that you are cold calling?   1 Answer