Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated 21 Apr, 2015

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through Career Center website and received an email about a week later asking me to take a personality test. After the test, I was contacted to set up a 10 minute phone interview where they asked me why I was interested in sales and working with a company like Yelp. I was then set up for a Skype interview with 3 hiring managers for 20 mins each.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I tried to reach two times already. She gave me feedback then I redid the scenario. Afterwards she asked me to come in for an onsite interview in their nyc office. I had three 20 minute interviews. All of them were different role play scenarios so definitely prep yourself for that and study ahead! If you don't you'll struggle because it's a lot of on the spot/think fast type situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you almost quit and ended up persevering.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

So after I applied on online, 15 mins later I got an email about a phone call interview. This was the first time a job posting has replied to me so fast, I felt very confident. After the phone interview went well, I was asked to come into the office for a onsite interview.

So I drove an hour an a half into SF and spent near $50 for food,gas and parking for this interview. It was roughly an hour long, 40 mins of actual time spent with question and the rest was just me waiting for these two managers to speak to me. They both worked role playing stuff with me and then it ended with them saying "you obviously meet the requirement for someone in this position, we're excited to even have someone like you interview" then he discussed benefits and salary. We talked about my future here at the company as he walked me out.

All of this and I get an AUTOMATED email 2 days later that said they decided to go with another applicant.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Put in an app roughly a month ago. Set up a phone interview within a couple of days and then went smoothly. Were trying to gauge your personality and ask why you are interested in this position. A little bit of background information with 1 role play by just leaving a voicemail to a company.

Next was an in-person interview which occurred about 2 1/2 weeks later. This was a little bit more nerve racking going in but once i stepped in and began talking to them all the butterflies went out because they are so welcoming and nice to you. Asked a couple more personal questions about yourself and why would you make an ideal candidate. Then 1 role play from the first interviewer which asked get to an owner via a receptionist then another from the next interviewer asking you to sell a brand you use.

Main qualities you want to show are your ability to implement feedback, your resilience and your personality.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Received an email to get set up for a phone screening. The phone screening was about 20 minutes. Make sure you are familiar with the position and what Yelp does. The interviewer will ask you questions about what you know about the position and the company. She also asked me just some background info about myself about examples of when I've worked on teams and why sales and why Yelp. At the end there is a role play. You have to leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times. She told me at the end of the interview that I would be moving onto the next round and since I am out of state, it would be conducted over Skype. She gave me about 4 open times and I had to choose one.

The second interview is on Skype. At first, they require you to log onto Skype about 15 minutes before your interview. The recruiting coordinator will give you a call to test out the connection and just say hi and ask if you have any questions before the interview happens. She will give you a quick overview of what the interviews will be like. I met with 2 sales managers and each asked basic questions and then finished with a role play. Make sure you listen to their feedback because they will allow you to do it again and they are looking for you to make the changes they spoke to you about. They were both super cool and easy to talk to so don't be intimidated by them.

2 hours after my interview ended, the recruiter called me saying I had moved on to the next round which is a 20 minute webinar about the career paths and training and also a background check.

Interview Questions

• Describe a typical day as an account executive at Yelp.
      Tell me about a time when you competed for something and didn't get it.
      Role Plays scenarios:
      1. Leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times.
      2. Sell me Yelp. I am a car repair shop.
      3. You've already met with me and I own a hair salon. I am calling you to let you know that I really enjoyed your presentation, but I am going to advertise in the local newspaper instead. Convince me not to.

Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral with the process taking 2 weeks. HR called to set-up a 20 minute phone screen with a Sales Manager.

Phone screen ADVICE:
    - Have a set answer as with WHY you want to work for Yelp (culture, growth opps, personality is Yelp, make sure you say that you are an avid Yelp user!)
    - Have a set answer as to WHY you want to work in sales (challenging, rewarding, commission, etc.)
    - What skills do you have that will make you successful in sales? (coachable, competitive, etc.)
    - What motivates you, especially in sales/when you are struggling? (commission, fully stocked kitchen, happy hours, the culture, the co-workers.)
    - Research Yelp. What awards has Yelp received, etc.
    - Ask questions.

In-person ADVICE:
    You will have 2-3 in-person interviews at the Yelp office. Basically, all the same questions will be asked above during these interviews. You will then have role play.
    - During role play, don't stress, make it a conversation.
    - Implement their feedback, and you will do role play again. They are looking to see if you are coachable.
    - Dress to impress.
    - Write down their email, send a thank-you note.

Webinar
    If you make it pass the in-person interviews, you will be asked to attend a webinar. An HR recruiter will go thru the training program, and your career path with Yelp. Good news!

Interview Questions

• I am a pizza parlor in Brooklyn. I have never heard of Yelp. Schedule an appointment.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Pretty easy interview process. Still unsure what they exactly wanted in a account executive. The phone screen was easy (just a personality test) then the one on one interview at their office in Manhattan. The interview was with two hiring managers and was more of conversation than an actual interview. I felt they had already made up their mind by the time I explained my resume.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Yelp (Scottsdale, AZ (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

First is a 15-20 minute phone screening with general resume questions and a role play scenario, which then they give you feedback and you do it again. Second, is two managers interviewing you separately for an hour total, both asking the same exact resume questions and two different role play scenarios, similar to the phone screening.

They are quiet rude, after my second interview I found out I didn't get it from an automated email.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths? Why sales? What has been a challenge for you to master? Where else are you applying?

Role play:
      1. I'm a pizza place that has blown you off 3 times, leave me a voicemail trying to convince me to call you back and go with Yelp.
      2. You've already got a business owner on the phone but now he wants to go with the newspaper advertising, convince him otherwise.
      3. Try to get the business owner on the phone

Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied directly to Yelp after receiving an email blast from career builder.com about the position. I received a phone interview offer two weeks later. The phone interview lasted 20 minutes. She asked basic questions about my resume and background, and we did one role play scenario (question listed below). I was invited to the next round on-site interview scheduled for two weeks out.

Interview Questions

• A business owner missed his appointment for the third time. Leave him a voicemail.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

It was a lot of role playing questions. You get interviewed with three managers at separate times. Questions are easy. It was a very quick process, in and out in less than 20 minutes.