Yelp

Updated 20 Nov, 2014
Updated 20 Nov, 2014

278 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Overall good experience. During the interview process the sales department has you go through a phone interview and then Skype or in person interview (I'm assuming based on location). During both they give you role play scenarios where you have to cold call someone. It's not hard, but you do have to practice and take their advice seriously.

Interview Questions
  • Call a local business and convince them to subscribe to yelp (the business however doesn't want the product or care about it).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

First Contact after applying: seems to check if you are not crazy and you know about the job.
    Second contact: panel interview. Mine was on skype, so one person interviews you and then they leave the room, then the next, then the next. (3 people total) be prepared to do some role plays of cold calling especially closing... He was a tough cookie and would not budge. Be mildly aggressive with getting the deal.
    Third Contact: Background check, and webinar explaining pay structure.

Interview Questions
    • Role play: You have a business owner who you presented to last week and he said he needed some time to think. You are calling to close the deal.

Interviewer: will be subborn says no, says he will put a local print ad, says he does not have the money

Interviewee: Must close, be more confident, flat out say we need to sign you up basically for advertising with us.
        Answer Question

PAY my first year is too low compared to other companies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied online and was told to take an online quiz. After that, within a few days, I set up an appointment for the phone interview. The total amount of time was within a week or so. Next I have the in-person interview coming up so hopefully, all goes well and I'll get good news from them! The phone interviewer was really friendly and enthusiastic. They seem to be looking for people with more experience even though they said that some employees started off with no sales experience. I think it really depends on how well you sell yourself to make you look like the best-fit candidate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied on Yelp's website and was e-mailed a few days later to take a quick online test. Then I was called a few days later for a phone interview and then came into the SF office for an in-person interview with 3 hiring managers. They allocated 20min time slots to do a one-on-one interview with each of the hiring managers.

Interview Questions
    • A company tells you that they need a few days to think about the Yelp service you are selling them. A few days later you call them back and they say that they still need more time. At this point you know that they are just trying to avoid you but you need to meet your quota. How do you approach the conversation?   Answer Question
    You can't negotiate. You have to take what you get.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

I applied online and was emailed within 2 business days abot scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for a few days later. The interview was relatively easy. I was asked what I knew about the company and the position. There was one role playing question.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to pretend to call a prospective client who has been dogding my calls after initially agreing to buy advertising with Yelp.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Yelp in November 2014.

There were 3 steps. Apply online and after they send a link to take a test.
    It consist of mainly personality test and misspelled words to see if you pay attention to detail.
    Then phone interview and one on one interview

Interview Questions
    • Sell me a pen. You have to ask a lot of questions of to the person and in this manner you have information to sell the item. The idea is to see your sales skills on the spot.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Yelp in November 2014.

Sent in resume about the position. Received email about being selected for a phone interview. Email was very specific about time slots available for the interview process. Got interview for a preliminary one. Recruiter asked about 6 questions or so. In all, it wasn't that bad of an interview. They're just figuring out if you are the right candidate for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation that you were in either your academic career or professional career that involved a stressful situation? And describe how you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

After a phone interview, I was brought into their office. This interview consisted of a lot of role playing. The employees I spoke with were all very friendly and make you feel comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • You must be okay with trying to sell someone their product when they continuously say no.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied and got an email to fill out a questionnaire that comes off as difficult but it's not. Just want to see what you would do in certain situations. From there, you get a phone interview that just sees why you're interested in Yelp and Sales. Be sure to study up on the position from the information they email you. Then you'll do an in person interview with 3 sales managers.

Interview Questions
    • Role Plays: First is schedule a meeting. tips: be direct and try to schedule the meeting off the bat. Second is that the customer doesn't want to use the service anymore. Tips: Ask a lot of questions. Overall use their advice and if given another chance to try again, take it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Overall, I did not have the best experience with Yelp. The interviewers seemed kind of in a hurry to get through my interview and were not at all familiar with my resume (one thought I had sales experience, but I don't). So the feeling of being rushed, along with the fact that the interviewers were unprepared really put me off.

After the phone interview (which is really easy, honestly I think they just want to make sure you can hold a conversation and are not a psycho), they had me come in for an on-site interview. As far as the structure, it's a 3 part interview with role play (which is a little awkward--googling some cold calling role play scenarios and practicing will help you get over it). They give you feedback after each scenario and the next interviewer will ask you what the feedback was, and expect you to implement it. Each interviewer also asked some standard interview questions. A few that come to mind are why yelp? Why sales? What is something you've had to work hard for? A time you messed up?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about time when you worked really hard for something and didn't get it.   Answer Question

Interviewers' attitudes were off putting.