Yelp

Average Difficulty
240 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details I got skype interview, and you have to role play. There were three managers, and asked you to role play. It's not difficult but preparing yourself. They are pretty nice and after you role play, and they will give you feedback. You can learn a lot and skills from their feedback.

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details Applied on Yelp. Filled out a survey and within 2 days was called to schedule an initial phone interview. First interview went smooth, just wanted to make sure I was interested in Yelp and explained in full disclosure what the position was and salary (no negotiation, but good commission structure). Went into the SF office for in-person interview and met with 3 different people. Make sure to know your stuff about Yelp, but more specifically be prepared to tackle three different situations as explained here.

Interview Question – Try to convince a business owner to schedule a time with you to talk about what Yelp can offer   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

Interview Details Initial phone call is easy, they want a feel for who you are. After that you have an hour long skype interview where you meet with 4 account managers, they do role play and ask a lot of behavioral questions. Make sure you ask a lot of questions during the role play, and take their feedback and use it.

Interview Question – Explain a time where you won   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details As other interviewers have said, you are interviewed by 3 sales managers. The first impression I had of the place was that it was extraordinarily casual. They were "running late" the day I was there and they rushed us into our respective interview rooms. The first person to interview me asked me why sales, why yelp, and where else I had interviewed/applied. I think this was my major downfall, it threw me off and I honestly wasn't sure how to answer it. We did a role play where I was trying to get a meeting with a business owner. They told me I was too passive and needed to he assertive. That's fine, I knew I could get that down. Next person asked me the exact same questions, but she seemed very uninterested in me. She was looking out the window and at the door the entire time and didn't even seem to be listening to me. Then, she left. No role play. This completely threw me off for the remainder of the interview. The last person came in and asked me the same questions, then did a role play where I had to sell him something. I was very thoroughly explaining the benefits of the product and thought I did quite well. After the interview I sent a thank you to the people who interviewed me. I received an email 3 days later saying they were going with other candidates, which in the end was a good thing for me because I don't think it was a good fit. The job is basically a telemarketing position and you're just expected to make the company money. Pay is not good for a college grad. If you love sales and working for commission, this is for you. Additionally, if you want a laid back college-like environment, this is a great place for you.

Interview Questions

Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied to Yelp for the New Grad AE position in AZ at like 9 AM one day. By the afternoon, I already got a reply asking to set up an initial phone call. The initial call was just a little bit about me, my current location, and why Yelp. I was then asked to set up a Skype call later that week. The Skype video conference took about 50 min (each of the two role plays took 20 min with a 2 or 3-min break in between them). I thought they went well, but I got a rejection email a few days later. Oh well.

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

Interview Details 15 minute phone call where I explained my understanding of the role (a day in the life of an account executive), talked about a time that I'd competed and won and a time I'd competed and lost.
A few days later I had an hour long skype session where I spoke with three different employees, did some sales role play and answered some behavioral questions.

Interview Question – convince a client to sign the dotted line   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in August 2013.

Interview Details First, they call you on the phone and it's very casual. They just make sure you sound good enough. Then they schedule a Skype or in person interview where you meet with 3 people from Sales upper management. All 3 of the guys who interviewed me had different styles, and we all did a lot of role play.

Interview Question – The first guy acted as a pretty difficult gatekeeper. He also mentioned that a lot of people we call don't know what Yelp is which I found interesting.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Took an offer elsewhere.

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details The first interview is a phone screening, be prepared to talk about the advertising product, and to speak about what interests you in the job. The person who is interviewing you is looking to see how well you know their product and how well you can communicate over the phone.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you have failed and how did you recover from it?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details I applied online and received a phone interview with in three weeks. The interviewer really grilled me with some tough questions and the interview was very fast paced. I was asked basic questions about my resume and what I knew about Yelp. Other questions included telling the interviewer a specific individual achievement and a time where I had failed.

Interview Question – A role play scenario where I had been trying to call a business owner all week and he/she had missed my call 3 times and not called me back. Leave a message and tell me what you say to the business owner   Answer Question

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details I applied online and received an email a few days later saying they wanted to set up a phone interview with me. I went through the phone interview and they basically wanted a little introduction about myself, why I was interested in Yelp and standard screening questions of that sort. They also had me role play with them to see how the tone of my voice was when speaking to potential clients as well as how I would be at cold calling. I ended up passing the phone interview and moved on to the on-site interview. The interview consisted of three different people in three sessions so basically three interviews in about an hour. Each interview was similar, a role play at the end and just a screening in the beginning to see why you would want to do cold call sales. I never had to sell a product as previously mentioned although I was ready for it! After the interview, a few days later I was contacted saying that they were moving on with more qualified applicants.

Interview Question – Why would you want to do cold call sales if the success rate of closing a deal is only like 20%?   Answer Question

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!