Yahoo

528 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details The interview process included two 1 hr phone interviews and one full day on-site interview. Phone interviews were mainly research based questions while on-site interviews were both research based and technical. I can say that in comparison with other interviews, the Yahoo interviews were more professional and definitely suited the position much more than other interviews. They avoid all those stupid whiteboard codings and stick to fundamental questions and research based easy to very complex scenario questions. Although very tiring, I enjoyed my onsite interviews. They were all bright and smart people and very professional and they make you feel that you are on the same page with them. I would say 50-60% of my interview was research questions (easy to difficult) and 40-50% are more technical questions. The technical questions were about machine learning, algorithms and optimization.

Interview Question – How will you encode the world's knowledge for learning algorithms if 1) you have unlimited human resources 2) you have to do it automatically with no human resource.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was not very open and somehow limited. Their offer was fair so you can't negotiate much.

Assistant Producer Interview

Assistant Producer
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2013.

Interview Details I was sat down by this very tired looking director who really didn't seem that into the interview. She didn't prepare any questions and she looked so dishevelled. When it came time to ask her questions, she couldn't answer basic ones. Such as, what sort of equipment do you use? I never received any feedback from the interview.

Interview Question – There were none, again, very unprepared.   Answer Question

PHP Developer Interview

PHP Developer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details the 1st meeting was an overview, then I got a call for a 2nd ones more technical, they asked about server administration, command line tools and details about PHP.

Interview Question – all the meetings were pretty straight forward, no surprises if really domain Linux/PHP   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Jose, CA (US)

I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

Interview Details I had two phone screens. The first phone screen consisted of coding questions (how to print a singly linked list backwards) and the second phone screen was a conversation with the hiring mgr in which we talked about past projects I have worked on. These phone screens occurred over the course of 2 weeks. Next I was invited on site to speak with 4 people.

After 2 weeks I was told that I was not selected for the position.

Interview Question – how to print a singly linked list backwards   View Answer

Software QA Engineer Interview

Software QA Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2014.

Interview Details 3 rounds of phone interviews + 1:1 onsite.
every phone interview even onsite, recruiter keeping asking how much time you put to coding. I honestly answered that question (as I am working for smaller company, it is project based, we have to do everything from end to end, so I said 50%-60% time for coding )

Interview Question – binary search tree, sorting, API, some SQL like questions (they are not using SQL)   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2014.

Interview Details To put in one sentence - Interviewing at Yahoo! is just waste of your time. Don't do it unless you have nothing better to do. I had 2 phone screens. The first one was simple coding questions and the second one was just a casual chat with the hiring manager. It took them 3 weeks to do these interviews. After that, I was invited onsite to speak with 5/6 people. Again, 3 weeks to get this one scheduled. I cleared this interview and was told by HR that she would present my case to the hiring committee. After 2 weeks, I was told that the hiring committee had rejected. WTF! - rejected for what ? clearing all interviews with the team? The process took 8+ weeks. One funny thing though - in almost each email - HR would ask me to let her know if I had changed my mind re: joining Yahoo!. I mean, do you really want to join Yahoo! or not?

Interview Question – Coding, projects I had worked on, some problems which the team was working on, etc. nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

Interview Details 1 phone screen interview, followed by 3 days of 5-people interviews (+lunch interview) in a period of 1-2 weeks. Interviewed with people from 3+ teams different from the one that phone-screened me. Finally the team that phone-screened me hired me.

After I accepted the offer, while wrapping up my work in my previous company, the recruiter asked me to have a letter signed by my previous employer showing that I have completed everything we discussed when I gave them the 2-week notice, which I thought was unusual.

Interview Question – Questions were typical coding questions, i.e. shuffle cards, merge sort using files, traversing trees, C++ related questions. One of the interviewers (probably non-technical) asked me a physics brain teaser which was unexpected, I don't remember the details.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Although I got a decent increase from my previous job, I didn't negotiate and later found that I didn't get competitive compensation package. Advice: negotiate!

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details On compus career fair, talked to recruiter about the courses and projects
Two months later got phone interview notification, then after a long time got scheduled exact phone interview to data&ads team.
In the phone interview, it's just some simple questions. In the 45 minutes talk, first talked about resume projects, then several basic java questions and data structure programming problems.

Interview Question – Something about how to optimize the programming solution if the memory is limited   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

Interview Details First time through was quite a cursory interview. I had come from Microsoft, where I interviewed in the late nineties. During that time, Microsoft interviews were infamous for difficulty (now they would be akin to Google interviews). My Yahoo interview, by contrast, was cushy. When I came back to Yahoo a second time, I didn't even formally interview. We just set up the HR appointment and went through the motions. That explains how Yahoo has bloated in the way that it has.

Interview Question – Design a crossword puzzle generation algorithm   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Short and amicable

Senior Engineering Manager Interview

Senior Engineering Manager

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details Discussed many technical questions. Past projects, architecture, detailed design pattern discussions An hour long session to build a system from scratch.
Many rounds of interview covering soft skills, presentation skills, leadership attributes, team management, talent acquisition, handling outsourced work were asked

Interview Question – Walk me through a employee let-go scenario in your team   Answer Question

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!