Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated 23 Sep, 2014
Updated 23 Sep, 2014

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

The interview process included two 1 hr phone interviews and one full day on-site interview. Phone interviews were mainly research based questions while on-site interviews were both research based and technical. I can say that in comparison with other interviews, the Yahoo interviews were more professional and definitely suited the position much more than other interviews. They avoid all those stupid whiteboard codings and stick to fundamental questions and research based easy to very complex scenario questions. Although very tiring, I enjoyed my onsite interviews. They were all bright and smart people and very professional and they make you feel that you are on the same page with them. I would say 50-60% of my interview was research questions (easy to difficult) and 40-50% are more technical questions. The technical questions were about machine learning, algorithms and optimization.

Interview Questions
    • How will you encode the world's knowledge for learning algorithms if 1) you have unlimited human resources 2) you have to do it automatically with no human resource.   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase was not very open and somehow limited. Their offer was fair so you can't negotiate much.

Assistant Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2013.

I was sat down by this very tired looking director who really didn't seem that into the interview. She didn't prepare any questions and she looked so dishevelled. When it came time to ask her questions, she couldn't answer basic ones. Such as, what sort of equipment do you use? I never received any feedback from the interview.

PHP Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

the 1st meeting was an overview, then I got a call for a 2nd ones more technical, they asked about server administration, command line tools and details about PHP.

Interview Questions
    • all the meetings were pretty straight forward, no surprises if really domain Linux/PHP   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Submit my resume on a career fair. Got a technical phone interview after 2 months. the questions are about data structure and algorithm. e.g. class of tree in C++. and a coding questions concerning tree traversal DFS and BFS.

Other competing offer

Producer Interview

I had one face to face interview with my supervisor. It was a simple conversation where we talked about my experience and type of shows I produced. Within one week I had an offer. I was told that unfortunately, there was no room for negotiation of the contractor pay rate because the budget was set. Looking back, I'm not sure how locked in the rate was.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult. I was asked to send the interviewer my reel.   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiation of the contractor pay rate because the budget was set.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2014.

I received an email from the Corporate Connection of my college about Yahoo is hiring. I submitted my resume by replying to the email and got a phone interview the next day. Got the onsite interview in less than a week after the phone interview. The onsite interview was 6 hours long and free lunch was provided. Each interview section last about an hour, and it's either 1-1 or 1-2 but always only one person asking.

Interview Questions
    • Got database query questions and Unix commands questions which I don't quite remember   View Answer

Finance Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yahoo.

Start to finish - background review, fit questions, logic and case studies, finally a walk through of a model based on an example interviewer asked. Overall process took a few weeks but that was considered accelerated so I'm not sure what the real time frame normally is. Everyone was really really friendly and made sure I felt comfortable - which made it difficult to determine if I was a great fit or they were just nice.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through how you'd build a financial model for forecasting X for Yahoo. I'm not sure I can share the X part but know that you'll need to know your modeling inside and out.   Answer Question

Senior Research Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

The entire process took about 3 weeks. The communication was perfect, beyond perfect. I've interviewed at many top tech firms in terms of reputation and opportunity. Yahoo! was an exception. The recruiter guided me through each step. I knew from the very beginning the timeframe which was then continuously updated. There was no mystery. No weird subcommittees and internal processes I wasn't privilege to. It was all crystal clear.

It is the first time in my entire work-life experience that I have met a recruiter who was working with me towards an excellent package that was also fair to the current employees. The recruiter and I had a collaborative relationship. I will now hire and look forward to working with this recruiter on the other side of the table. I never could have anticipated how beyond the team, manager, and vision, the recruiter would contribute so highly to my positive outlook of the culture in the organization.

I loved the honesty of everyone there, and the great energy I met when I interviewed. Everyone I met on the team was extraordinarily professional, fully engaged, and creative around their interview questions. I knew I wanted to work with every single person in my interview loop on real problems and research. There was such a good energy, people seem all compelled to have impact in a healthy collaborative way. It is also a real equal opportunity company. Truly impressive.

Interview Questions
    • I had advanced software engineering questions from two technical interviewers, but the questions were well structured and fairly assessed my ability to structure and write code in an R+D environment. The worst is when you're in a technical interview and the technical interviewer has something to prove for whatever reason. This couldn't be further from the case at Yahoo! Even on the technical side, I was being tested as to my ability to collaborative meaningfully on technical topics while maintaining a high level of individual contribution. Whether the question was about software or other topics, the intention from the interviewer was always the right one.   Answer Question
    The recruiter was so good and the hiring manager is so fantastic, that I did trust they would design a perfect package. And they did! It was such a nice process, there was no game to play, just explaining what I am making and what other offers I have. They used that information to create a competitive package.

I did not have to negotiate, except for the relocation (but the recruiter was excellent at understanding and assessing my needs, therefore that was easy).

I had excellent other competitive offers that I turned down, most of them because the culture was not the right one (one of them because the salary was too low). I totally was impressed by the Yahoo! culture from the beginning to the end of the interview process.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milan (Italy)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Applied online, phone interview, in person interview: hiring manager, direct manager, supervisor,. Got a proposal, negotiate it a bit. They asked me general questions about my past experience, nohing too complicated

Interview Questions
    Not much flexibility to negotiate

Technical Interview

2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!