Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated 27 Oct, 2014
Updated 27 Oct, 2014

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

The interview process included two 1 hr phone interviews and one full day on-site interview. Phone interviews were mainly research based questions while on-site interviews were both research based and technical. I can say that in comparison with other interviews, the Yahoo interviews were more professional and definitely suited the position much more than other interviews. They avoid all those stupid whiteboard codings and stick to fundamental questions and research based easy to very complex scenario questions. Although very tiring, I enjoyed my onsite interviews. They were all bright and smart people and very professional and they make you feel that you are on the same page with them. I would say 50-60% of my interview was research questions (easy to difficult) and 40-50% are more technical questions. The technical questions were about machine learning, algorithms and optimization.

Interview Questions
    • How will you encode the world's knowledge for learning algorithms if 1) you have unlimited human resources 2) you have to do it automatically with no human resource.   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase was not very open and somehow limited. Their offer was fair so you can't negotiate much.

Assistant Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo in June 2013.

I was sat down by this very tired looking director who really didn't seem that into the interview. She didn't prepare any questions and she looked so dishevelled. When it came time to ask her questions, she couldn't answer basic ones. Such as, what sort of equipment do you use? I never received any feedback from the interview.

PHP Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

the 1st meeting was an overview, then I got a call for a 2nd ones more technical, they asked about server administration, command line tools and details about PHP.

Interview Questions
    • all the meetings were pretty straight forward, no surprises if really domain Linux/PHP   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

2 phone interviews.

I had a negative experience. The person who contacted me asked me if I could interview at a certain time, during which I replied I had an exam and offered many other times for an interview on following days. After a week of no response, I followed up, and was told I will be receiving phone interviews at times other than ones I had listed.

The first interview went well, but the second interviewer seemed to think I was incompetent and disregarded my suggestions for the solution even though he later suggested the same things.

Software Engineer Interview

I went to my university job fair and talked to Yahoo recruiter. They were interviewing people the next day and decided to give me a chance. I did not make it through the interview tho because I did a bad job and did not really have enough time to get prepared.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Two phone interviews then got an on Site interview.
    1. design a calculator using C++

2. design a airport using C++
    3. Dynamic programming question
    4. data structure

Software Engineer In Champaign Interview

I applied online and got one phone screen and a on site
    the phone interview focus on really wide range, with a very easy code question and a very hard question. i didn't figured out the hard question but they still give me the onsite
    onsite had 4 technical interview and an addition with manager
    the technical interview arent that hard, espically the really coding question are really easy
    it covered exactly the four topics they send to me before so it's easy to prepare too
    but I didnt get the offer probably because I sucked the oo design questions and not good at sql

Interview Questions
    • nothing really unexpect. one interviewee ask me something about different shell in linux which I completely don't know   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

I received my first interview through a friend who already worked at the company. She introduced me to a director who initially had one of his employees interview me for a position on his team. While I was not a good fit for that team the director connected me with another group at Yahoo. I restarted the interview process with them and was successful.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was not particularly difficult. There were questions about the process behind specific mathematical methods. However, the majority of questions asked how I would approach particular situations at work. Ex. If you need to inform a business unit about the success of x what would you do.

One of the more difficult questions was:
      Use this white board to explain how multiple regression works.
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Questions
    • Combine two lists of Object with different size into one   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yahoo in October 2014.

First round of Phone interview.Questions were general , More on Resume.
    Also this position is for a Big Data Team in Champaign,Illinois.
    1 ) Basics of Java
    2 ) One Design question on how you would design chess board
    3 ) basics on sql - creating a table,joins,having by,aggregate functions
    4 ) Basics on unix/linux
    5) One question on scalability

Interview Questions
    • Some puzzles , may be the question was easy , just couldn’t understand the language - how would you distribute 1000 potatoes in 10 baskets.   Answer Question