Yahoo

Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated 14 Jan, 2015
Updated 14 Jan, 2015

Coop Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Yahoo.

Basic behavioral questions- tell me about yourself,what do you hope to gain out of this position, asked questions about resume. Easy to talk to. nice and welcoming people.

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

The interview process included two 1 hr phone interviews and one full day on-site interview. Phone interviews were mainly research based questions while on-site interviews were both research based and technical. I can say that in comparison with other interviews, the Yahoo interviews were more professional and definitely suited the position much more than other interviews. They avoid all those stupid whiteboard codings and stick to fundamental questions and research based easy to very complex scenario questions. Although very tiring, I enjoyed my onsite interviews. They were all bright and smart people and very professional and they make you feel that you are on the same page with them. I would say 50-60% of my interview was research questions (easy to difficult) and 40-50% are more technical questions. The technical questions were about machine learning, algorithms and optimization.

Interview Questions
    • How will you encode the world's knowledge for learning algorithms if 1) you have unlimited human resources 2) you have to do it automatically with no human resource.   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase was not very open and somehow limited. Their offer was fair so you can't negotiate much.

Assistant Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo in June 2013.

I was sat down by this very tired looking director who really didn't seem that into the interview. She didn't prepare any questions and she looked so dishevelled. When it came time to ask her questions, she couldn't answer basic ones. Such as, what sort of equipment do you use? I never received any feedback from the interview.

PHP Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

the 1st meeting was an overview, then I got a call for a 2nd ones more technical, they asked about server administration, command line tools and details about PHP.

Interview Questions
    • all the meetings were pretty straight forward, no surprises if really domain Linux/PHP   Answer Question

Insights Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

5-6 rounds of interviews.
    1st round - HR interview - CV scanning, matching JD, listing accomplishments, etc
    2nd round - Hiring Manager - 1 hour, lot of technical questions related to the job, my background, skills, etc
    3rd round - Hiring manager's boss - 30 mins ... very top level questions, vision, abilities, etc
    4th round - Team member - lot of statistics questions, math problems
    5th round - Internal stakeholders - Marketing B2B and B2C managers - random HR type questions, buy-in, difficulties, weaknesses
    6th round - Internal stakeholders - Sales Manager - questions on how Insights can help, story telling, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an Analytical situation at work and explain how you solved it.   Answer Question
    Negotiation is limited and got conned by HR.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo.

I submitted on website, got the interview notification in one week. During the interview, the engineer asked me Java basics(such as abstract class/interface, multithreaded), and SQL(join / group), Operation system in very details. The whole interview finished in 30 mins.

Systems Engineer Interview

written test,programming test,2 technical interviews followed by hr.the written test will be easy,programming round will be tough.the technical rounds will depand on the person interviewing u,its not impossible to crack.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

telephonic followed by a on site
    computer science back ground
    testing
    time complexity
    efficiency
    4 rounds of on site
    1 round of telephpnic screen and you will be asked to solve a question and they monitor it through collabedit or sites like that
    very basic questions in telephonic screen

Senior Visual UED III Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yahoo.

It was a pretty standard process overall. I did pursue it rather aggressively from the start until getting an interview. I met with 3 managers representing three different properties within same user experience design group. Fairly basic questions and portfolio review with each reviewer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in December 2014.

Having read through the reviews on glassdoor I wasn't expecting a smooth process either but since I am a local candidate I didn't have to go through the hassle of going through the travel/stay reimbursements etc. The reviews were true to the core that the recruitment process is a clear indication of the complete chaos in the company. I was invited for an onsite, after clearing the initial phone screen which was fairly a simpler algorithmic challenge. Just revisit your algorithms and data structures especially search, sort, list, trees, graphs, string manipulations etc. An advice to candidates is to not to over do the preparation as they come with a mind set expecting 'the' answer they were looking for and even if you out smart them with an efficient solution it's still frowned upon (which is rather untrue for most companies in the silicon valley).
    The onsite interviews were pathetic, with some interviewers jumping straight onto white-board coding without even a formal introduction. The questions ranged from generating random numbers between 1 and N given a function which returns 0 or 1 with equal probability (binary to decimal!), ways to provide contradicting assignment statements from a list of string assignments of the form ['a=b', 'c=d', 'd=b'] ['a!=d'] etc, string anagram matching, binary search trees. The engineers seemed technically sound/professional and will indeed provide you enough hints in case you run into troubled waters.

Interview Questions
    • A question involving indirect application of DFS on graph (to prove if a list of assignment statements contradict)   Answer Question