Yahoo Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2014
Updated Aug 18, 2014
537 interviews

Research Scientist Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

The interview process included two 1 hr phone interviews and one full day on-site interview. Phone interviews were mainly research based questions while on-site interviews were both research based and technical. I can say that in comparison with other interviews, the Yahoo interviews were more professional and definitely suited the position much more than other interviews. They avoid all those stupid whiteboard codings and stick to fundamental questions and research based easy to very complex scenario questions. Although very tiring, I enjoyed my onsite interviews. They were all bright and smart people and very professional and they make you feel that you are on the same page with them. I would say 50-60% of my interview was research questions (easy to difficult) and 40-50% are more technical questions. The technical questions were about machine learning, algorithms and optimization.

Interview Questions
    • How will you encode the world's knowledge for learning algorithms if 1) you have unlimited human resources 2) you have to do it automatically with no human resource.   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase was not very open and somehow limited. Their offer was fair so you can't negotiate much.

Assistant Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2013.

I was sat down by this very tired looking director who really didn't seem that into the interview. She didn't prepare any questions and she looked so dishevelled. When it came time to ask her questions, she couldn't answer basic ones. Such as, what sort of equipment do you use? I never received any feedback from the interview.

PHP Developer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

the 1st meeting was an overview, then I got a call for a 2nd ones more technical, they asked about server administration, command line tools and details about PHP.

Interview Questions
    • all the meetings were pretty straight forward, no surprises if really domain Linux/PHP   Answer Question

Technical Interview

2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milan (Italy)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Applied online, phone interview, in person interview: hiring manager, direct manager, supervisor,. Got a proposal, negotiate it a bit. They asked me general questions about my past experience, nohing too complicated

Interview Questions
    Not much flexibility to negotiate

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2014.

1 Phone Screen with my perspective manager. I joked around and made sure that Yahoo did not support IE6 and asked questions about their development processes.

1 Technical Phone Screen with Senior Engineer. He asked me to make a form from scratch that did something.

1 Onsite interview - came in for 3 hours and met the team. It was sorta informal. Answered questions and joked around. Didn't know how to do some of the questions but figured it out in a couple mins by bouncing ideas off of my interviewers. They look for how fast you can adapt and how interested you are about the coding language and technologies. Also from UI and design perspective they look at how you code things to make it easier for the user.

One of my interviewers mentioned something he saw on hacker news and I had seen the same thing the day before so we chatted about it.

I also think that attitude counts hugely at Yahoo. There are no egos in my team. Your personality has to match too.

I wasn't asked any difficult algorithm questions like they do at FB and Google, it was all just stuff directly related to the job. You don't have to be a genius to work here, but if you put in some hard work and learn from the people smarter than you then you will go far. Don't be off put by the big name.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle correcting a mistake that your manager made?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate. Yahoo's benefits are seriously awesome. The website doesn't explain everything.

Software Engineer (Tech Yahoo Software Applications Dev Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

Had 4 rounds of interview - 2 technical, 2 managerial. The technical interviews covered basics of programming and little challenging coding questions. Managerial rounds included discussions on interests, technical scenarios, architectural questions, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on Arrays, with reducing memory complexity and time complexity   Answer Question
    Yes, I negotiated, but they didn't go beyond a certain limit.

Technical Writer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo.

Applied online. Contacted by HR. Conducted a 30-minute phone screen with Senior Technical Writer. He seemed enthusiastic to have me come in for an in-person interview.

No response - from anybody, including HR. No call backs, emails, or any form of communication. Dead air. Nothing, despite various attempts to contact them.

Highly unprofessional. The process died prematurely with no explanation. Frankly, the company is failing, and their star of relevance has faded long ago.

I'm happy I didn't move forward with them.

Summer Associate Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Yahoo.

employee referral, two phone interviews, structured around role and fit for the team and love of Yahoo as a company; why Yahoo vs Google, Facebook, Etc. what's your favorite Yahoo product and why? What do you think of the company's current strategy?

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burbank, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2014.

I applied through my school's careers website. I received an email within a week to set up a phone interview. The phone interview questions covered my resume and interests. About a week later I had onsite interviews with 4 different people. Each interview lasted about 45 minutes. Questions were not overly difficult and focused on scripting and databases. Everyone was extremely nice and made me feel very comfortable throughout the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • You have a 10x10x10 rubix cube. You paint the outside. How many cubes have paint on them?   View Answers (4)
    No need to negotiate, was offered a very competitive offer.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!