Yahoo

Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated 12 Dec, 2014
Updated 12 Dec, 2014

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

The interview process included two 1 hr phone interviews and one full day on-site interview. Phone interviews were mainly research based questions while on-site interviews were both research based and technical. I can say that in comparison with other interviews, the Yahoo interviews were more professional and definitely suited the position much more than other interviews. They avoid all those stupid whiteboard codings and stick to fundamental questions and research based easy to very complex scenario questions. Although very tiring, I enjoyed my onsite interviews. They were all bright and smart people and very professional and they make you feel that you are on the same page with them. I would say 50-60% of my interview was research questions (easy to difficult) and 40-50% are more technical questions. The technical questions were about machine learning, algorithms and optimization.

Interview Questions
    • How will you encode the world's knowledge for learning algorithms if 1) you have unlimited human resources 2) you have to do it automatically with no human resource.   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase was not very open and somehow limited. Their offer was fair so you can't negotiate much.

Assistant Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo in June 2013.

I was sat down by this very tired looking director who really didn't seem that into the interview. She didn't prepare any questions and she looked so dishevelled. When it came time to ask her questions, she couldn't answer basic ones. Such as, what sort of equipment do you use? I never received any feedback from the interview.

PHP Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

the 1st meeting was an overview, then I got a call for a 2nd ones more technical, they asked about server administration, command line tools and details about PHP.

Interview Questions
    • all the meetings were pretty straight forward, no surprises if really domain Linux/PHP   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo.

They interviewed me few months after talking me to at my college career fair. I had two interviews. The first one was one simple OO concepts and basic programming questions. The second one was more focussed on front end questions and I didn't know the front end concepts really well. It was pretty clear after that I wasn't going to make it after that. I had another deadline just a few days after that so heard back from them regarding it pretty soon.

Even though I didn't get through. I liked their overall interview process.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in December 2014.

Having read through the reviews on glassdoor I wasn't expecting a smooth process either but since I am a local candidate I didn't have to go through the hassle of going through the travel/stay reimbursements etc. The reviews were true to the core that the recruitment process is a clear indication of the complete chaos in the company. I was invited for an onsite, after clearing the initial phone screen which was fairly a simpler algorithmic challenge. Just revisit your algorithms and data structures especially search, sort, list, trees, graphs, string manipulations etc. An advice to candidates is to not to over do the preparation as they come with a mind set expecting 'the' answer they were looking for and even if you out smart them with an efficient solution it's still frowned upon (which is rather untrue for most companies in the silicon valley).
    The onsite interviews were pathetic, with some interviewers jumping straight onto white-board coding without even a formal introduction. The questions ranged from generating random numbers between 1 and N given a function which returns 0 or 1 with equal probability (binary to decimal!), ways to provide contradicting assignment statements from a list of string assignments of the form ['a=b', 'c=d', 'd=b'] ['a!=d'] etc, string anagram matching, binary search trees. The engineers seemed technically sound/professional and will indeed provide you enough hints in case you run into troubled waters.

Interview Questions
    • A question involving indirect application of DFS on graph (to prove if a list of assignment statements contradict)   Answer Question

Intermediate Software Development Engineer Interview

1. permutation&& find the most characters which has no duplicates
    2.merge the range
    3.there is a string A,which has 512 bits,0 or 1; Another a string B, which has 32 bits. Does A contains B
    some other questions ,such as describe the process the function call in C language;the parameter of the copy constructor is reference,why?

Inside Sale Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

Long hiring process. Mostly phone interviews. No group interviews. Be ready for a long wait time and lots of background checks. They do check on your former work history so don't lie on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult. Pretty standard interview. Having a good knowledge of the tech world and competitors is also a plus. Just be confident and direct.   Answer Question
    They tell you what they have in their budget and you dont have alot of options for wiggle room

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

three round of interviews.
    1.basic c++ questions and leetcode level coding problem. such as find the longest palindrome, change least number of chars to make a string palindrome. add least chars at the end of the original string to make a palindrome.
    2.discuss map reduce and basic graph algorithms
    graph travalsal , bfs
    3.manager interview. some open end problems
    hashmap, math problems

Interview Questions
    • us Map Reduce framwork to find the second degree friends for each one in social network.   View Answer

Search Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

Standard interview. First and second were conducted by phone. Flown in for 3rd. The second interview was conducted by peer-equivalents. Third interview was with managers that lasted for a few hours in an afternoon, and meeting the rest of the staff.

Interview Questions
    • Standard set of questions. Nothing earth-shattering. Some questions involved personal internet habits and professional experience.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

This is a on campus interview, the process of the interview is very straight forward, a guy look at my resume and ask about some detailed questions regarding it. Then we have worked on a question on a c++ question, which is simply find out all the prime number less than 65536. Then we discussed some web design skills which I've used in my projects. I think I did well, but didn't hear from them since then.