Yahoo

531 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details The interview process included two 1 hr phone interviews and one full day on-site interview. Phone interviews were mainly research based questions while on-site interviews were both research based and technical. I can say that in comparison with other interviews, the Yahoo interviews were more professional and definitely suited the position much more than other interviews. They avoid all those stupid whiteboard codings and stick to fundamental questions and research based easy to very complex scenario questions. Although very tiring, I enjoyed my onsite interviews. They were all bright and smart people and very professional and they make you feel that you are on the same page with them. I would say 50-60% of my interview was research questions (easy to difficult) and 40-50% are more technical questions. The technical questions were about machine learning, algorithms and optimization.

Interview Question – How will you encode the world's knowledge for learning algorithms if 1) you have unlimited human resources 2) you have to do it automatically with no human resource.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was not very open and somehow limited. Their offer was fair so you can't negotiate much.

Assistant Producer Interview

Assistant Producer
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2013.

Interview Details I was sat down by this very tired looking director who really didn't seem that into the interview. She didn't prepare any questions and she looked so dishevelled. When it came time to ask her questions, she couldn't answer basic ones. Such as, what sort of equipment do you use? I never received any feedback from the interview.

Interview Question – There were none, again, very unprepared.   Answer Question

PHP Developer Interview

PHP Developer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview Details the 1st meeting was an overview, then I got a call for a 2nd ones more technical, they asked about server administration, command line tools and details about PHP.

Interview Question – all the meetings were pretty straight forward, no surprises if really domain Linux/PHP   Answer Question

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer
Burbank, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2014.

Interview Details I applied through my school's careers website. I received an email within a week to set up a phone interview. The phone interview questions covered my resume and interests. About a week later I had onsite interviews with 4 different people. Each interview lasted about 45 minutes. Questions were not overly difficult and focused on scripting and databases. Everyone was extremely nice and made me feel very comfortable throughout the interview process.

Interview Question – You have a 10x10x10 rubix cube. You paint the outside. How many cubes have paint on them?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No need to negotiate, was offered a very competitive offer.

Senior Manager Business Development Interview

Senior Manager Business Development
Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2011.

Interview Details I applied online and didn't think about it since Yahoo! gets hundreds of submissions per role. I was surprised to get a call a couple of weeks later from a recruiter. The recruiter call were basic screening questions and I was passed on to a phoner with the hiring manager. I chatted with her for about 30-minutes then got brought onsite for a loop style interview. I spoke with three peers, one manager above my level, and the hiring manger. I received an offer by the end of the week.

Interview Question – None. I prepped myself thoroughly for all of my calls. I knew my resume, accomplishments, and how I could support the company thoroughly. Interview questions were primarily scenario based i.e. "Can you tell me about a time you worked with a publisher." If you're prepared it's not too tough.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yahoo has set pay scales for their roles so compensation negotiation is limited outside of the senior executive level.

Associate Editor Interview

Associate Editor
New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2014.

Interview Details Contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. Had an initial phone call with him and then was contacted by someone else setting up an in-person interview for the next week. The recruiter told me the job didn't have a specific job title yet (they were just looking for the perfect person regardless of experience level), but when the assistant set up the interview, she said it was for an associate editor and that was the only position they had available. Had the in-person interviews with two different people on the team – neither of whom it seemed like I would have worked with on a daily basis. One asked more technical and experiential questions, and the other seemed to be assessing my personality. The interviews went well and it seemed like I was more than qualified for the job, but I didn't hear back from either person, and when I followed up with the recruiter, he never responded to my email.

Interview Question – Everything was straightforward.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Jose, CA (US)

I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

Interview Details I had two phone screens. The first phone screen consisted of coding questions (how to print a singly linked list backwards) and the second phone screen was a conversation with the hiring mgr in which we talked about past projects I have worked on. These phone screens occurred over the course of 2 weeks. Next I was invited on site to speak with 4 people.

After 2 weeks I was told that I was not selected for the position.

Interview Question – how to print a singly linked list backwards   View Answer

Software QA Engineer Interview

Software QA Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2014.

Interview Details 3 rounds of phone interviews + 1:1 onsite.
every phone interview even onsite, recruiter keeping asking how much time you put to coding. I honestly answered that question (as I am working for smaller company, it is project based, we have to do everything from end to end, so I said 50%-60% time for coding )

Interview Question – binary search tree, sorting, API, some SQL like questions (they are not using SQL)   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Yahoo in March 2014.

Interview Details To put in one sentence - Interviewing at Yahoo! is just waste of your time. Don't do it unless you have nothing better to do. I had 2 phone screens. The first one was simple coding questions and the second one was just a casual chat with the hiring manager. It took them 3 weeks to do these interviews. After that, I was invited onsite to speak with 5/6 people. Again, 3 weeks to get this one scheduled. I cleared this interview and was told by HR that she would present my case to the hiring committee. After 2 weeks, I was told that the hiring committee had rejected. WTF! - rejected for what ? clearing all interviews with the team? The process took 8+ weeks. One funny thing though - in almost each email - HR would ask me to let her know if I had changed my mind re: joining Yahoo!. I mean, do you really want to join Yahoo! or not?

Interview Question – Coding, projects I had worked on, some problems which the team was working on, etc. nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

Interview Details 1 phone screen interview, followed by 3 days of 5-people interviews (+lunch interview) in a period of 1-2 weeks. Interviewed with people from 3+ teams different from the one that phone-screened me. Finally the team that phone-screened me hired me.

After I accepted the offer, while wrapping up my work in my previous company, the recruiter asked me to have a letter signed by my previous employer showing that I have completed everything we discussed when I gave them the 2-week notice, which I thought was unusual.

Interview Question – Questions were typical coding questions, i.e. shuffle cards, merge sort using files, traversing trees, C++ related questions. One of the interviewers (probably non-technical) asked me a physics brain teaser which was unexpected, I don't remember the details.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Although I got a decent increase from my previous job, I didn't negotiate and later found that I didn't get competitive compensation package. Advice: negotiate!

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!