YMCA Interview Questions

2.3

Fitness Centre Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edmonton, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA in August 2014.

This was a very uncomfortable process from the start. When I was called to come in for an interview, they told me that I could only come in at one time or else I wouldn't have a chance to interview. The time was a very inconvenient time to come in, but I wanted to try and get the position. The interview was a very awkward and uncomfortable interview. Most of the questions that I was asked had nothing to do with the answers they wanted from me. Some questions took over 20 minutes, because the actual question that they wanted me to answer had nothing to do with the original questions. (Original Q: tell about a time where you said and did something that people did not like? How did you recognize it and what did you do? Actual question: How do you empathize and how would you teach it?) After the interview, they took me to the gym to supervise one of their staff for 5 minutes and tell them what I thought of the staff. Interview felt very horrible and uncomfortable. I did not expect to get any offer for the job. They ended up calling my current employer to do a reference check, so he and I assumed that I was going to get the job. They ended up not even offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • name a time when a staff member you supervised had a performance issue and how did you deal with it   View Answer

Fitness Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Winnipeg, MB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA in July 2014.

I sent my resume by email and 3 days ahead the Manager called me asking for a interview. I was interviewed by 2 managers in the same time. I did not felt pressured and they were very nice with me.
    The interview had 40 min long and I could get out of there with a good feeling that they liked me.
    They asked me in the end of the interview 2 personal references with phone and email.

Interview Questions
    • If we would call for one of your former jobs, what do you think that they would say about you?   Answer Question

Camp Counsellor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at YMCA.

Applied at a job fair in the mall. Had to go into the YMCA for an interview during march break (this was good timing, as they seem to understand that you are students and made it work for you). It was with two senior members of the camp you would be working for. It was very relaxed and casual. questions were behavioural based. Heard back 3 weeks later saying i got the job.

Interview Questions
    • How you would deal with campers bullying. Its hard because there is no right answer but definitely a few wrong answers.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation

Member Experience Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at YMCA in April 2014.

Very straightforward. I applied online and got called to set up an interview the next day. Interviewer talked a lot about the job at hand. Lots of customer service related questions.

Language Assessor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at YMCA in December 2013.

One hour job interview with two people asking questions. Very detailed but friendly and inviting atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you disagreed with your boss' decision   Answer Question

Day Camp Site Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in January 2013.

I had already worked at this day camp for previous years so the interview process was not very rigorous as I knew the manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had conflict with another co-worker.   Answer Question

Aquatics Supervisor Interview

Applied online, received a call the next day after submission deadlines. Interview was scheduled 4 days after the call. Several stages interview process, I did not expected such a detailed behavioral type interview on the first stage. Was asked about 10 questions, for about 50 minutes, by two interviewers. They seemed nice and professional.

Interview Questions
    • It was my first interview so I wasn't sure what to expect. All answers was supposed to be based on the actual experience, a lot of questions that dealt with collaboration, motivation to action and team work. Most difficult situation, how I dealt with it.   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Moncton, NB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moncton, NB

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in May 2012.

Very casual interview process, went through a generic questionnaire. The process was laid back and comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly didn't have any, however, on a personal note, I find it uncomfortable when asked what are my salary expectations   Answer Question

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Windsor, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, ON

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in April 2012.

Submitted cover letter and resume. Received an email to interview. Interview consisted of a group interview with 10+ people. Needed to present a speech to the group and lead a game/camp song. Also completed other group activities where you had to act as a leader or a follower in different situations. There was no one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions
    • How will you lead in a way that exemplifies the YMCA's core values?   Answer Question

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in October 2009.

was a three manager panel interview, with several questions repeated with slight change to the wording

Interview Questions
    • How would you proceed when discovering a deceased person in the building.   Answer Question
    Zero negotiation, before or during employment

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!