YMCA Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 16, 2014
317 interviews

2.3

Camp Counsellor Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at YMCA.

Applied at a job fair in the mall. Had to go into the YMCA for an interview during march break (this was good timing, as they seem to understand that you are students and made it work for you). It was with two senior members of the camp you would be working for. It was very relaxed and casual. questions were behavioural based. Heard back 3 weeks later saying i got the job.

Interview Questions
    • How you would deal with campers bullying. Its hard because there is no right answer but definitely a few wrong answers.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation

Member Experience Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at YMCA in April 2014.

Very straightforward. I applied online and got called to set up an interview the next day. Interviewer talked a lot about the job at hand. Lots of customer service related questions.

Language Assessor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at YMCA in December 2013.

One hour job interview with two people asking questions. Very detailed but friendly and inviting atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you disagreed with your boss' decision   Answer Question

Day Camp Site Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in January 2013.

I had already worked at this day camp for previous years so the interview process was not very rigorous as I knew the manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had conflict with another co-worker.   Answer Question

Aquatics Supervisor Interview

Applied online, received a call the next day after submission deadlines. Interview was scheduled 4 days after the call. Several stages interview process, I did not expected such a detailed behavioral type interview on the first stage. Was asked about 10 questions, for about 50 minutes, by two interviewers. They seemed nice and professional.

Interview Questions
    • It was my first interview so I wasn't sure what to expect. All answers was supposed to be based on the actual experience, a lot of questions that dealt with collaboration, motivation to action and team work. Most difficult situation, how I dealt with it.   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Moncton, NB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moncton, NB

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in May 2012.

Very casual interview process, went through a generic questionnaire. The process was laid back and comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly didn't have any, however, on a personal note, I find it uncomfortable when asked what are my salary expectations   Answer Question

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Windsor, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, ON

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in April 2012.

Submitted cover letter and resume. Received an email to interview. Interview consisted of a group interview with 10+ people. Needed to present a speech to the group and lead a game/camp song. Also completed other group activities where you had to act as a leader or a follower in different situations. There was no one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions
    • How will you lead in a way that exemplifies the YMCA's core values?   Answer Question

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in October 2009.

was a three manager panel interview, with several questions repeated with slight change to the wording

Interview Questions
    • How would you proceed when discovering a deceased person in the building.   Answer Question
    Zero negotiation, before or during employment

Information and Referral Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at YMCA in August 2009.

Send in application, followed by telephonic Interview and other 2 rounds of Personal interviews, Finally the salary negotiations

Interview Questions
    • How will you serve the homeless or refugees in shelters?   Answer Question

Summer Camp Counsellor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in May 2012.

Asked a form from the front desk and handed it in.
    Couple of days later I got called for an interview.
    It was a group interview with 3 people, one being the director.
    They checked my reference and then received a call a week after.

Interview Questions
    • None basic personality questions.
      What you can contribute to the company
        Answer Question
    It was seasonal, asked if I could be flexible in my role. Like could I be a sports counselor for two weeks and then an aquatics counselor the next 2 weeks.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!