YMCA

2.3

Fitness Centre Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA in August 2014.

This was a very uncomfortable process from the start. When I was called to come in for an interview, they told me that I could only come in at one time or else I wouldn't have a chance to interview. The time was a very inconvenient time to come in, but I wanted to try and get the position. The interview was a very awkward and uncomfortable interview. Most of the questions that I was asked had nothing to do with the answers they wanted from me. Some questions took over 20 minutes, because the actual question that they wanted me to answer had nothing to do with the original questions. (Original Q: tell about a time where you said and did something that people did not like? How did you recognize it and what did you do? Actual question: How do you empathize and how would you teach it?) After the interview, they took me to the gym to supervise one of their staff for 5 minutes and tell them what I thought of the staff. Interview felt very horrible and uncomfortable. I did not expect to get any offer for the job. They ended up calling my current employer to do a reference check, so he and I assumed that I was going to get the job. They ended up not even offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • name a time when a staff member you supervised had a performance issue and how did you deal with it   View Answer

Camp Counsellor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at YMCA.

Applied at a job fair in the mall. Had to go into the YMCA for an interview during march break (this was good timing, as they seem to understand that you are students and made it work for you). It was with two senior members of the camp you would be working for. It was very relaxed and casual. questions were behavioural based. Heard back 3 weeks later saying i got the job.

Interview Questions
    • How you would deal with campers bullying. Its hard because there is no right answer but definitely a few wrong answers.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation

Fitness Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA in July 2014.

I sent my resume by email and 3 days ahead the Manager called me asking for a interview. I was interviewed by 2 managers in the same time. I did not felt pressured and they were very nice with me.
    The interview had 40 min long and I could get out of there with a good feeling that they liked me.
    They asked me in the end of the interview 2 personal references with phone and email.

Interview Questions
    • If we would call for one of your former jobs, what do you think that they would say about you?   Answer Question

Member Experience Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at YMCA in April 2014.

Very straightforward. I applied online and got called to set up an interview the next day. Interviewer talked a lot about the job at hand. Lots of customer service related questions.

Aquatics Supervisor Interview

Applied online, received a call the next day after submission deadlines. Interview was scheduled 4 days after the call. Several stages interview process, I did not expected such a detailed behavioral type interview on the first stage. Was asked about 10 questions, for about 50 minutes, by two interviewers. They seemed nice and professional.

Interview Questions
    • It was my first interview so I wasn't sure what to expect. All answers was supposed to be based on the actual experience, a lot of questions that dealt with collaboration, motivation to action and team work. Most difficult situation, how I dealt with it.   View Answer

Language Assessor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at YMCA in December 2013.

One hour job interview with two people asking questions. Very detailed but friendly and inviting atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you disagreed with your boss' decision   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

I applied via YMCA website. The procedure is like any other interview where they scan through all the applicants and then, either call the selected candidate or email them. Once you get selected, I got called for on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were common sense and everyday network debugging questions.   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakville, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakville, ON

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at YMCA in January 2013.

One in-person interview with HR and hiring manager. Basic job questions. They asked to bring a portfolio of projects and writing samples.

Second interview to test writing skills- which did not end up happening in my case as their second candidate dropped out of the running. Very straightforward process.

Interview Questions
    • The school board just went on strike. How would you communicate this to the public? What would you include in your message? What other things do you think are important in this communication?   Answer Question
    Fixed salary.

Day Camp Site Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at YMCA in January 2013.

I had already worked at this day camp for previous years so the interview process was not very rigorous as I knew the manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had conflict with another co-worker.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moncton, NB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moncton, NB

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YMCA in May 2012.

Very casual interview process, went through a generic questionnaire. The process was laid back and comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly didn't have any, however, on a personal note, I find it uncomfortable when asked what are my salary expectations   Answer Question