W.W. Grainger

W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated 29 Jan, 2015
Updated 29 Jan, 2015

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

I was contacted for a phone screen and then asked to take an online behavioral test. The panel interview was then set up.

I interviewed for two hours. Two separate panels. One with only the hiring manager.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Very professional process, used as training for new managers. Several people in the room but only two asking questions, the rest just observing. Strong focus on personality and fitting into culture. relaxed atmosphere with obviously knowledgable managers

Interview Questions
    • Strongest weak point was only difficult question; mostly a review of resume and questions on past employers   Answer Question
    Interviewed in morning and felt good about interplay with 2 interviewers. Received an offer in email that afternoon, and accepted. I like that they didn't drag out the process like most companies.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

I applied online and was given an automatic response that they were moving forward with another candidate. I received a call a week later about the role and was told what I need to prepare for the interview.

The interview process is composed of 3 stages. The first stage is a call with the HR specialist from HQ offices who filters out candidates for the role by screening applicants based on experience, business acumen, and organizational fit.You will also take a chally exam to see if you qualify for the interview. If you pass than you advance to the second step. The second step is follow by a face to face interview with the hiring manager and another manager who can provide feedback to the hiring manager based on the interviewees responses and performance. The final step is a call with the hiring managers boss who asks questions regarding the role and wants to confirm the positive feedback given by the hiring manager.They use the STAR ( Situation, Task , Action, Result) process during the interviews so be ready to speak broadly about your past experience in terms of projects and their outcomes.

The experience was pleasant however, most of the hiring managers have a bench and I am not sure why they post to externals if they have a selected candidate in mind. Also, when I interview it was not very diverse at all. Which was a red flag for me since the market the role is was very diverse.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell us about a moment when a peer was going through a difficult situation whether at work or in his personal life and tell us what you did to help him/her and what the result was   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

The process was quick. Had a successful first interview and was invited for a second interview. Phone interview was easy with simple questions. The second interview was more difficult. I was interviewed by three people, and they all asked different questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult time of my life and how I went through it.   Answer Question

Government Account Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

They use the STAR process. They ask about a scenario, a task, the action you took and the obtained result. I would suggest to put it in a story like mode where you tell the interviewer little chapters of your professional experience in a succinct fashion

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time that you helped a colleague with a personal problem and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Rushed to do interviewing so they can hire in a 3 week period go through 4 interviews and get no response until you have to follow up. They constantly were in contact and I was told that they loved my work ethic and overall skills and then send me an email telling me there were stronger candidates.

Interview Questions
    • They want you to answer questions in their wording.   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Different managers that really didn't understand the job per say but yet they were in on the interview process which didn't make sense. They had store managers that were interviewing account managers and they didn't even understand what the account manager role was. ve

Interview Questions
    • All interviews are different for each role so its hard to say.   Answer Question
    long and painful

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

First there is a screening phone call by a recruiter, then a Chally personality test, then 2 interviews with hiring level managers and finally an interview with a VP. They took quite some time to give me their final decision. All interviews were basically variations of standard sales interviews where they are looking for STAR answers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you mentored a peer and the positive benefit both of you gained.   Answer Question
    Salary was negotiable, also able to negotiate relocation costs.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in December 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter to fill out an online assessment followed by a phone interview, the next week I was called back for a face to face interview with 2 managers one of which was dressed very unprofessional and sloppy and completely disinterested in the interview. While I answered the STAR format questions the interviewer was twirling her hair and not paying much attention to my answers, the other interviewer was somewhat paying attention and seemed a little more attentive. The next day I was sent an email stating they are going to pursue another candidate.

E-commence Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Two rounds. First round on-campus interview; second round four 45 mins interviews. Mostly behavioral questions. Second round interviewers seemed unprepared. Some of them came with a list of common behavioral questions and tried to pick some in the interview. Most questions can be easily found online. I didn't feel them very hard.