Visa Inc. Interview Questions

Updated 21 Apr, 2015

2.8

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Visa Inc..

Interview

I'm a computer science major. Saw their booth at a career fair and talked to a bunch of recruiters. Had interview at the conference the next day-- probably the most laid back interview I've ever had. A few behavioral questions and then it just became about the company and the work I could be doing.

Worked with HR to set up another phone interview in the department I'd be working in. She asked me one or two difficult technical questions, but mostly just talked about Visa and gauged my interest level. I got a call saying I got the job a few days later. Whole process took around a month. Currently getting a pretty extensive background check and waiting to hear more.

CS, math majors, and engineers: apply here! They're looking for people who can program and who have strong math backgrounds. Never had Visa on my radar, but they have a lot of opportunities that pay very well. I got a great vibe from the people I met, everyone seems passionate about their job, the employees are diverse, and I truly enjoyed speaking to everyone. I turned down other offers from big names in software because I liked the people and I felt they really care about the growth of their interns. I'm excited to work there this summer.

Interview Questions

• Research the position you're applying for and know what people in that field do.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't even need to negotiate... they're paying for my housing and flights and paying me $25/hr

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Visa Inc..

Interview

I applied online via the career website and was contacted by the Recruiter about a week later. The process consisted of an initial phone interview with the Recruiter, then HM, and finally on-site interviews with the team in their Foster City office. The entire process took about 4 weeks. Behavioral based interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

My interview was conducted over the phone and consisted of purely technical questions. The interviewer spoke softly and had a rather thick accent, which I don't hold against him but ultimately made every one of his utterances extremely difficult to understand. After this interview I was explicitly told that I'd be contacted with my results within 3 weeks, but Visa neglected to ever contact me. On top of this, Visa seems to have no consistency in how they conduct their interviews. I say this because I personally know people that had Visa phone interviews around the same time that I did, but their experiences were drastically easier and favored behavioral questions over technical.

Interview Questions

• Describe Euclid's Algorithm and provide some of its real world applications.   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between a hash function and a secure hash function, and how would you go about altering a hash function to make it secure?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I dropped a resume at the career fair. Talked to a manager at the career fair and he kept my resume and told me he would contact me soon. I was contacted a few days later for an on site interview with an engineer. Standard process of exchanging introductions and a technical interview

Interview Questions

• If you have student names and test scores return the k students who scored the highest   Answer Question

Software Engineer (Fresh Grad) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Visa Inc. (Singapore (Singapore)) in April 2015.

Interview

3 rounds: Phone Screening, Coding Challenge and Super Day.
    Phone Screening: Very technical, data structure, OOP...
    Coding Challenge: MCQ and 2 coding questions. Not very hard. Do the best you can. Personally, I included the idea and strategy I use for the code, time complexity... I didn't get it 100% correct for 1 coding question. I missed some minor cases. But I believe the overall idea is good. To practice, try questions on HackerRank.
    Super Day: 3 1-1 interviews: Technical(algo, data structure...), Behavioral and Software Engineering (because I applied for this role). The interview questions can be very different for different candidates, depends on what is in your resume.
    My advices for Super Day:
    - Be yourself, show your real personality
    - You must know what you're talking about. Don't say "I did project on PCA" having no idea how PCA works. You should know how, not what.The question can be very technical.
    - Same for CV. Projects and experience, put something you are sure about.
    - If you don't know, say you don't know.
    - Ask questions. Some interviewers really want to see how you ask question.
    - Get good sleep before the day. You need that attitude.
    - Eat. On my super day, they gave breakfast and snacks. You should eat, because you need energy.

Note: Depend on what you put on your CV and your interest during the whole process, the interviewers, question and result allocation can be different :)

I really enjoy the process. All the best.

Interview Questions

• Which algorithm did you use for this project? Can you describe that algorithm?   Answer Question
    • What is your least favorite subject in school? What did you learn in that subject? Describe it? If I want to use it for Visa process, where could it be useful?   Answer Question
    • If I want to create a class that can only generate 2 objects. How should I do it?   Answer Question
    • I want to build an application that do ...? Tell me how are you going to approach the problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Visa Inc. in April 2015.

Interview

This is a phone interview. I submit the resume through university career fair. The interviewer called me and introduced visa then go through me resume and ask me some questions about my project and in the end, give me a coding test.

Interview Questions

• //A program to find the sum of contiguous subarray within a one-dimensional array of numbers which has the largest sum.
      //{-2, 3, 3, -1, -2, 1, 5, -3}
      //{2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 1, 5, 3}

1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Visa Inc..

Interview

I received a phone interview after online application. It was followed by an interview and a final panel interview (a panel of three). For the interviews there were mostly motivational, behavioral questions and some standard resume questions.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Visa Inc. (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

Five rounds of interviews. First telephonic, second an online coding round, after which three rounds of on-site interviews. Two of which are technical, one managerial/HR round. One technical interview focused on algorithmic knowledge while the other one was technical experience related.
    All rounds are relatively moderate in difficulty. Depends on the interviewer who takes the interview.

Interview Questions

• Related to previous work experience and projects in university education   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Visa Inc..

Interview

Very relaxed, laid back. Was asked about experience, past interactions with groups, and some brain teasers. Interview process was mainly behavioral however there were some technical questions. Emphasis was placed more heavily upon if you would be a good fit for the company. Overall I found the interview process enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled group members who were hard to work with?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Visa Inc..

Interview

The interview process began with a phone screen and then an in-person interview. In the in-person interview I sat down with several staff members. The team was extremely friendly. The were very transparent about the challenges and opportunities with the role and the department. The whole interview process felt very conversational not transactional. Seemed like a great place to work.