Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated 14 Apr, 2015
Updated 14 Apr, 2015

Processing Associate Interview

Interview

Applied online and received a call back in two days to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was easy, comfortable, and made up of mostly behavioral questions. I was invited to interview on campus, which was a 4.5 hour process. The interview was in made up of 3 parts: 1 hour behavioral questions, 30 minute case study, and 30 minute role play. The lady who did my case study made me feel a little uncomfortable because she rarely made eye contact in a very small room. Seems like people should be more personable in these situations. They made me feel like I did really well on the interview, but I received an e-mail 11 days after the interview stating I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral questions. Just think of some past situations regarding team work, problem solving, and conflict resolution.   Answer Question

Fund Financial Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard (Valley Forge, PA (US)).

Interview

Phone interview and then 2 in person interviews with 2 people each. The questions were mainly behavioral questions and for the phone interview it was questions on the past experiences. The two interviews got repetitive. I was asked similar questions in both interviews.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

The process took a few weeks. I interviewed on a college campus first. I was asked a few financial technical questions, but mostly behavior STAR questions. They asked about salary expectations. You'll be fine if you know what you want and some financial basics. I was then told it would take a few weeks to hear a response, but was contacted the next week about a phone interview. I guess my interviewer had not posted her notes and another recruiter picked me up. I was then told they'd be flying me out to second round interviews. These were a bit more technical and included the dreaded case study.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to learn a new skill quickly.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard (Philadelphia, PA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview. Easy going and asked basic questions. Got invited to second interview on the spot. The lady on the phone was very personable. Be prepared to answer very basic finance terminology.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to think outside the box   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult client.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an in person interview. The in person was 4 parts. 1st was a presentation about Vanguard. 2nd and 3rd were the one on one interviews. One was a case study and then a role play off of the case study. The other was your typical interview going over your resume and experience as well as STAR based behavioral questions. Also they asked about current market trends. 4th was a presentation of benefits and a campus tour. After that you were free to go. It went from 7:45 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Interview Questions

• What interests you most about what is going on in the current financial markets?   Answer Question

Processing Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Applied online and after about a week they reached out the me. I scheduled an interview for a few days later. Afterwards they invited me to come out to the Philadelphia campus.
    Schedule:
    1. Group presentation
    2. 1:1 interview
    3. 1:1 Case study
    4. 1:1 Mock Phone call( done by the same person who did the case study

The process was fair.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None, offer was solid

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

The interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one onsite interview. From the time I first learned of the role, to the point of an offer, lasted about five months.

When traveling to the on-site interview, the location was hard to reach. It's about 40 minutes pass downtown Philly. It's relatively easy to reach by car, although I heard there is a train station (Amtrak) nearby. The campus is amazing and huge (like you need a map to get around huge). Security was weird. I had to talk thru an intercom for about 10 minutes before they could confirm my appointment and let me in the building.

My interview started 15 minutes late. I met with two people and both were very nice. They had a list of questions they wanted to ask, but eventually we had a very natural conversation about the work. The interviewers toggled between the canned question and their own follow questions, but didn't necessarily keep to their script.

The interviewers took lots of notes and the in-person interview lasted about one hour. Following this, I thought I would hear something right away. It took a little while before I did hear back, but as soon as they confirmed they wanted me, things moved along very quickly.

As for compensation, they met my salary expectation and no negotiations were needed. The onboarding process is quite thorough. There is lots of paperwork. Also, there is the traditional background check, also fingerprinting and a drug test.

I plan to post a 90-day and 120-day post as a follow up to this. Still organizing my thoughts about the actual work experience.

Interview Questions

• The questions seems less about technical expertise and more about soft skills (ability to partner, dealing with difficult personalities, communication style, time management)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not needed

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Overall very friendly, asked questions to get to know me and then went onto "life experience questions". "Tell me about a time...." Asked a couple of minor technical questions, if you can't answer them off the top of your head, this probably is not the company for you or you walked into the wrong interview.

Customer Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Recruiter set up a phone interview. STAR based scenario questions based off previous work experience. They seem to be looking for someone who has a lot of knowledge in finance but doesn't actually have to have a finance background. You should definitely read an article on finance to talk about that with her. Also, study basic financial terms. ETF, Bond, Stock, Mutual Fund, Index Fund. Also, read up on Vanguard and it's background and what they are really passionate about. SUPER important. Definitely have personality or they won't be interested in you.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you had to think outside the box?
      Talk to me about a time you had to build rapport/relationship with a customer?

Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Applied through campus career site. Heard back in just a few days. Received a phone interview, the phone interview lasted 30 minutes and focused on resume and behavioral questions. Understand the STAR method.

Interview Questions

• Walk through resume. Behavioral questions answer in STAR format...ex: can you provide an example of a time when you had to build a relationship with a costumer   Answer Question