Vanguard

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated 25 Nov, 2014
Updated 25 Nov, 2014

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied through college and got contacted within a week to schedule a phone interview. Process was fairly simply and quick. During the phone interview, they asked some basic questions regarding your resume and what you know about vanguard.

AFP Interview

Interview for the Acceleration into Financial Professional program. Alot of STAR format questions.. name a time where you had to demonstrate time management, a time where you has to show confidentiality, a time where you might have gotten bad feedback or a bad review from a superior and what you did about it. They want to know what you know about vanguard and why it stands out, why its unique in its community involvement and its client relations.

Interview Questions
    • Negative based STAR questions- such as a time where you made a mistake and had to reverse it   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Talked with a recruiter at our career fair and gave them my resume. The next day I was called and had a phone interview, after the interview I was asked if I could fly to Charlotte for the next step. At Charlotte I had 2 individual interviews and then a group interview/activity.

Interview Questions
    • Only one technical questions but I heard from other applicants that they had more. Mine was "What is the difference between a Java Interface and abstract class?"   Answer Question
    I

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Pretty typical first round interview, have some base knowledge about what is going on in the market and how mutual funds, index funds and ETF's operate. Once they fly you out it is about 2 hours of interviews and 2 hours of information on the company. 1 hour is behavioral based and asks different questions along the lines of "When have you been in the position that showed ________ and what was the result?" the other hour is a case study putting you in a situation you would face when you start on the phones. Your interviewer acts as the client and will try to make you flustered. Fairly easy and very basic, just be personable and genuine.

Interview Questions
    • Kept on asking questions about past experiences dealing with clients, we're all college students so no one has legitimate experience thus its hard to come up with examples.   Answer Question

College to Corporate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Phone interview screening. Then you get invited to HQ to interview in person. The process takes about a week from when you have the phone interview until you are invited. Then after interviewing in person, you get notified in 1-2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • How do you motivate someone?
      Tell me a time when you...
        Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

Referred by a friend who is familiar with Vanguard. After submitting resume and online application, had a phone interview within 2 weeks.

Phone interview is easy enough as long as you can be clear about your thoughts and experiences. Must have ability to be calm and professional over the phone while building raport with recruiter.
    Will invite you for a recruitment day at a prearranged date. Vanguard pays for transportation, food and lodging.

Had one month after phone interview to prepare.
    Interviewed in Valley Forge, PA.

Interview day began in the morning and ended around 2pm (3-4 hours)

Brought to a conference room with 8 other candidates. Began with introduction to Vanguard as a company. Covered history, structure, investment philosophies and positions available. Candidates are asked for questions about company. Must have a few in order to stand out.

Afterwards, met with hiring staff one on one to complete two stages of interviews. My first was the role-playing scenario. I am, personally, comfortable doing this. I would suggest practicing with a friend or mentor beforehand. Presented with a case study and required to use information provided to address a situation with a client. This is done out of character, simply had to verbalize strategy for addressing clients needs within a certain amount of time. Asked also to prioritize several tasks after handling client.

Role playing was easy and casual. Imitated a phone call with another client and given time to read a short story of their situation and how to handle their requests. SHOW EMPATHY!!! If "client" says they are about to be married, be excited for them and congratulate them. If there is a death in the family, show consolation and handle them gently.

The next stage was another one-on-one interview with a different hiring manager. reiterate experiences and what brought you to Vanguard and why you have chosen to interview with them. Asked a dozen or so behavioral questions (STAR Method is imperative). Use specific examples from work/school/sports/what ever. Highlighting interactions with customers and coworkers is also essential.

Finally, all the candidates were brought into a room for a final presentation on benefits, the Vanguard campus and what ways you can get involved with the community.

Vanguard will shuttle you back to the airport/bus station/what ever

Interview Questions
    • Being able to speak genuinely about why you want to be a part of Vanguard is the most essential thing. Discussing differences between Vanguard and their competitors, what about Vanguard that you find unique and desirable, and having anecdotes that highlight customer service are all essential. If you study STAR method interviewing beforehand, no one of the questions will be difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

College to Corporate Interview

Met with a recruiter on campus and the next day I was contacted to set up an interview on campus. The interview was a 30 minute, strictly behavior interview. Make sure to know the company, specifically the culture, and more importantly answer in STAR format. About three weeks later I received an email letting me know I was invited to an on site interview. The on site interview in Malvern, PA was a superday with about 9 other candidates, most of whom were flown out from schools across the east coast. The day started off with a breakfast and informational session, followed by two one hour back to back STAR interviews, whihch was the toughest part of the day. Then you had a panel with former interns who worked there fulltime and then lunch. After lunch there was a fun group activity where you and the other participants discussed a macroeconomic issue. Overall, the atmosphere was very friendly, and I was really blown away by the culture. About two weeks later, I had been called saying I had received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to motivate a group
      Tell me about a time you tried to teach someone something, but they couldn't get it
      Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with a coworker
        View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in November 2014.

Applied online and a representative from the HR department contacted me to schedule a time for a phone interview. The interview was STAR based behavioral questions. Questions such as give me a time you.... and discuss your strengths and weaknesses.

Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Vanguard has a very aggressive interview process. Vanguard follows the behavioral style interview question method. The interview process included a phone screening interview followed by multiple panel interviews. Once in the company, you have to interview for each position and it follows a very similar process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to do something that was not part of your job?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Financial Administrator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Vanguard has an extensive hiring process internal and external, they follow the behavioral style format. Normal you will have a phone interview first. Then a few panel inteviews. much preperation is needed for a vanguard interview.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time you had to do something that was not part of your job?   Answer Question