Vanguard

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated 13 Dec, 2014
Updated 13 Dec, 2014

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Two part interview. First part is a 30 minute phone interview and the second is a four hour on-site interview. The phone interview focuses on qualifications and resume. The onsite interview is split into four hour long parts. Two presentations about the company, an hour long behavioral based interview and a case study/role play.

Interview Questions
    • Very important to show empathy during role play. For the behavioral based interview make sure to answer using the STAR method. One question that threw me off was "Explain a recent event in the news pertaining to finance and how it would affect business at Vanguard"   Answer Question

good benefits but low salary and compensation

Employment Coordinator Interview

The ability to achieve an interview for this position is extremely difficult and competitive and the selection process at times seems somewhat ambiguous. It takes a ton preparation in addition going through the overview process is essential but still not a guarantee to receiving an interview. It has become more difficult year to year.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you had to deal with a difficult peer, and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

They had my resume in the system and HR contacted me and asked me to interview for a "client Relationship Specialist" position. They asked me to contact them within a few days and set up a time for a phone screen. The phone screen asked pretty basic questions. After the phone interview, they told me they would be in contact with me within the next few weeks to see what steps to take next if they wanted to consider me further. I am still waiting for a response.

Investment Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Phone interview, on site interview (case S.T.A.R. method). Overall very basic and simple, no surprises here. On site interview consisted of behavioral and case. Got a call back within a few weeks with a non negotiable offer that I had to take because I was unemployed at the time.

Non existant

Client Relations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard.

Had one phone interview that lasted about an hour. Questions were fairly simple and I was requested to fly out for an in person interview afterwards. The process was very laid back, fast, and simple to go through. Two interviews, one behavioral and the other a case study. Again, both were fairly simple though I would recommend studying a bit on asset allocation and optimal portfolios.

Interview Questions
    • Case study: Asked what type of asset allocation would be appropriate for a person's portfolio if they are planning to build a house soon but have no other major expenses in the foreseeable future.   Answer Question

Salary was a bit lower than hoped for compared to national averages.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied through college and got contacted within a week to schedule a phone interview. Process was fairly simply and quick. During the phone interview, they asked some basic questions regarding your resume and what you know about vanguard.

AFP Interview

Interview for the Acceleration into Financial Professional program. Alot of STAR format questions.. name a time where you had to demonstrate time management, a time where you has to show confidentiality, a time where you might have gotten bad feedback or a bad review from a superior and what you did about it. They want to know what you know about vanguard and why it stands out, why its unique in its community involvement and its client relations.

Interview Questions
    • Negative based STAR questions- such as a time where you made a mistake and had to reverse it   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Talked with a recruiter at our career fair and gave them my resume. The next day I was called and had a phone interview, after the interview I was asked if I could fly to Charlotte for the next step. At Charlotte I had 2 individual interviews and then a group interview/activity.

Interview Questions
    • Only one technical questions but I heard from other applicants that they had more. Mine was "What is the difference between a Java Interface and abstract class?"   Answer Question
    I

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

Referred by a friend who is familiar with Vanguard. After submitting resume and online application, had a phone interview within 2 weeks.

Phone interview is easy enough as long as you can be clear about your thoughts and experiences. Must have ability to be calm and professional over the phone while building raport with recruiter.
    Will invite you for a recruitment day at a prearranged date. Vanguard pays for transportation, food and lodging.

Had one month after phone interview to prepare.
    Interviewed in Valley Forge, PA.

Interview day began in the morning and ended around 2pm (3-4 hours)

Brought to a conference room with 8 other candidates. Began with introduction to Vanguard as a company. Covered history, structure, investment philosophies and positions available. Candidates are asked for questions about company. Must have a few in order to stand out.

Afterwards, met with hiring staff one on one to complete two stages of interviews. My first was the role-playing scenario. I am, personally, comfortable doing this. I would suggest practicing with a friend or mentor beforehand. Presented with a case study and required to use information provided to address a situation with a client. This is done out of character, simply had to verbalize strategy for addressing clients needs within a certain amount of time. Asked also to prioritize several tasks after handling client.

Role playing was easy and casual. Imitated a phone call with another client and given time to read a short story of their situation and how to handle their requests. SHOW EMPATHY!!! If "client" says they are about to be married, be excited for them and congratulate them. If there is a death in the family, show consolation and handle them gently.

The next stage was another one-on-one interview with a different hiring manager. reiterate experiences and what brought you to Vanguard and why you have chosen to interview with them. Asked a dozen or so behavioral questions (STAR Method is imperative). Use specific examples from work/school/sports/what ever. Highlighting interactions with customers and coworkers is also essential.

Finally, all the candidates were brought into a room for a final presentation on benefits, the Vanguard campus and what ways you can get involved with the community.

Vanguard will shuttle you back to the airport/bus station/what ever

Interview Questions
    • Being able to speak genuinely about why you want to be a part of Vanguard is the most essential thing. Discussing differences between Vanguard and their competitors, what about Vanguard that you find unique and desirable, and having anecdotes that highlight customer service are all essential. If you study STAR method interviewing beforehand, no one of the questions will be difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Pretty typical first round interview, have some base knowledge about what is going on in the market and how mutual funds, index funds and ETF's operate. Once they fly you out it is about 2 hours of interviews and 2 hours of information on the company. 1 hour is behavioral based and asks different questions along the lines of "When have you been in the position that showed ________ and what was the result?" the other hour is a case study putting you in a situation you would face when you start on the phones. Your interviewer acts as the client and will try to make you flustered. Fairly easy and very basic, just be personable and genuine.

Interview Questions
    • Kept on asking questions about past experiences dealing with clients, we're all college students so no one has legitimate experience thus its hard to come up with examples.   Answer Question