Vanguard

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated 30 Jan, 2015
Updated 30 Jan, 2015

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

I was initially put into contact with one of their HR people through a career services reference at my university. They scheduled a phone interview that ends up taking 30 minutes to an hour depending on how conversational you are. There are a few of the basic questions about yourself/your resume, followed by a couple of easy behavioral questions "Tell me about a time you had to work in a team", etc. Then, they'll typically ask you to define some ridiculously basic things like stocks, bonds, ETFs, and FINRA. My advice is to just try and connect with the HR person as much as possible and show your personality through the phone. If you do well they'll offer you a real interview on their campus (it took them two weeks to get back to me, but I've heard of them offering it on the spot). I had to wait four months for the on-campus interview because they do it in groups. The on-campus interview is four hours, split into four sections. The first/last hours are presentations mainly about the structure of the company and the benefits packages. It's a chance to raise your hand and make a presence, although I didn't say a word this entire time and got an offer. The middle two hours is split into a one on one interview with someone, and then a separate role play with a different person. The interview is pretty standard, make sure you're up on your recent financial news and can talk about everything on your resume. The role play is rather awkward as you're pretending to have a telephone conversation with someone sitting two feet away from you. That being said, the key to the role play is to show empathy. Regardless of whether your customer is rude/upset, just be empathetic to their situation and you should be fine. After the on-campus interview they say they'll get back to you within two weeks, but in my case it took a month. Be forewarned that they may also offer you a slightly different job than you had initially applied for. OVERALL: VERY friendly HR people. The process for me was rather dragged out but the circumstances were unusual have since been explained to me. Everyone involved was very friendly and I never felt uncomfortable- extremely excited to be working here.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you had to think outside the box", "Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision without all of the relevant information; what did you do and what were the results?"   View Answer
    no negotiation, very entry level position, if you have more experience you could probably ask for a slight bump salary-wise

VADP Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Simple phone interview that lasted one half hour. Invited on campus after 2 weeks for a day of tours, speakers with past participants and leaders, and 2 1-1 interviews. Basic questions were asked for the most part, some technical questions. No offer.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what causes inflation. Why should I recommend hiring you?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard.

Got an email from one of the recruiters asking if I was interested in the position. Called me the following week for a phone interview. Interview lasted about 25 min, they had me explain my previous work experiences and in detail some of the duties I had to perform. They also asked about other activities I'm involved in at school.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to build a relationship with a customer? Where do you find news pertaining to the financial industry?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard.

I got an on campus interview through one of our career fairs. The first round interview was about 45 minutes long and contained a few behavioral questions. Like, "Give me a time when you had to get others to follow you, and how did they react?" I did well enough they had me fly out to Scottsdale, AZ for the second round. Obviously this one was a bit more intense. The first interviewer went over some questions about your resume as well as more behavior questions. The second interviewer went through a case with you, regarding a problem with a current client. It's definitely a bit different having to grasp all the information within a time requirement, and making a key decision for the customer. But definitely relates to the job requirement.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time when you saw an act of cheating/rule breaking occur and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Investment Consultant Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Vanguard.

STAR based half and role play the other. Designed to last 2 hours total but can vary. My department is focused on sales so was a scenario where I was an employee at a retailer and I had to sell the interviewer a laptop.

Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interviewed by numerous people, some IT, some HR, some management. Canned interview questions. Team compared notes and made a decision up or down on hiring. Offer was for a specific position. No negotiation.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

The Interview Process Consisted of a phone call, which was simply to see if you'd be a good fit and worth bringing into the office for an interview.
    The in-person interview was with a group of 9 people. First portion consisted with a overview of the company, and benefits review. We split up with different managers and had a 1 hour Case Study and Role Play. Then a STAR based 1 hour interview with a different manager. We came back together and took a tour of the campus and were able to have any last minute questions answered. Total process took 4 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to make a decision without all the information available, and what was the outcome of that decision?   Answer Question

College to Corporate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

First round phone interview- mostly behavioral questions. Second round on site interview- meet with three-four Vanguard employees. One role play scenario which was pretty easy and used to evaluate how you approach and handle the case. Response was very quick- heard back in about a week after second interview.

Interview Questions
    • why did you choose to study business over other majors? how did you arrive at your decision to attend the school you are currently at?   Answer Question

College to Corporate IT Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

First I applied online and was sent an email to have a phone interview that week. Then after passing the phone interview I was invited to an all-day event at the headquarters. At the event there were two interviews conducted back to back in person.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Two part interview. First part is a 30 minute phone interview and the second is a four hour on-site interview. The phone interview focuses on qualifications and resume. The onsite interview is split into four hour long parts. Two presentations about the company, an hour long behavioral based interview and a case study/role play.

Interview Questions
    • Very important to show empathy during role play. For the behavioral based interview make sure to answer using the STAR method. One question that threw me off was "Explain a recent event in the news pertaining to finance and how it would affect business at Vanguard"   Answer Question

good benefits but low salary and compensation