Vanguard

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated 16 Nov, 2014
Updated 16 Nov, 2014

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Pretty typical first round interview, have some base knowledge about what is going on in the market and how mutual funds, index funds and ETF's operate. Once they fly you out it is about 2 hours of interviews and 2 hours of information on the company. 1 hour is behavioral based and asks different questions along the lines of "When have you been in the position that showed ________ and what was the result?" the other hour is a case study putting you in a situation you would face when you start on the phones. Your interviewer acts as the client and will try to make you flustered. Fairly easy and very basic, just be personable and genuine.

Interview Questions
    • Kept on asking questions about past experiences dealing with clients, we're all college students so no one has legitimate experience thus its hard to come up with examples.   Answer Question

College to Corporate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Phone interview screening. Then you get invited to HQ to interview in person. The process takes about a week from when you have the phone interview until you are invited. Then after interviewing in person, you get notified in 1-2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • How do you motivate someone?
      Tell me a time when you...
        Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

Referred by a friend who is familiar with Vanguard. After submitting resume and online application, had a phone interview within 2 weeks.

Phone interview is easy enough as long as you can be clear about your thoughts and experiences. Must have ability to be calm and professional over the phone while building raport with recruiter.
    Will invite you for a recruitment day at a prearranged date. Vanguard pays for transportation, food and lodging.

Had one month after phone interview to prepare.
    Interviewed in Valley Forge, PA.

Interview day began in the morning and ended around 2pm (3-4 hours)

Brought to a conference room with 8 other candidates. Began with introduction to Vanguard as a company. Covered history, structure, investment philosophies and positions available. Candidates are asked for questions about company. Must have a few in order to stand out.

Afterwards, met with hiring staff one on one to complete two stages of interviews. My first was the role-playing scenario. I am, personally, comfortable doing this. I would suggest practicing with a friend or mentor beforehand. Presented with a case study and required to use information provided to address a situation with a client. This is done out of character, simply had to verbalize strategy for addressing clients needs within a certain amount of time. Asked also to prioritize several tasks after handling client.

Role playing was easy and casual. Imitated a phone call with another client and given time to read a short story of their situation and how to handle their requests. SHOW EMPATHY!!! If "client" says they are about to be married, be excited for them and congratulate them. If there is a death in the family, show consolation and handle them gently.

The next stage was another one-on-one interview with a different hiring manager. reiterate experiences and what brought you to Vanguard and why you have chosen to interview with them. Asked a dozen or so behavioral questions (STAR Method is imperative). Use specific examples from work/school/sports/what ever. Highlighting interactions with customers and coworkers is also essential.

Finally, all the candidates were brought into a room for a final presentation on benefits, the Vanguard campus and what ways you can get involved with the community.

Vanguard will shuttle you back to the airport/bus station/what ever

Interview Questions
    • Being able to speak genuinely about why you want to be a part of Vanguard is the most essential thing. Discussing differences between Vanguard and their competitors, what about Vanguard that you find unique and desirable, and having anecdotes that highlight customer service are all essential. If you study STAR method interviewing beforehand, no one of the questions will be difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

College to Corporate Interview

Met with a recruiter on campus and the next day I was contacted to set up an interview on campus. The interview was a 30 minute, strictly behavior interview. Make sure to know the company, specifically the culture, and more importantly answer in STAR format. About three weeks later I received an email letting me know I was invited to an on site interview. The on site interview in Malvern, PA was a superday with about 9 other candidates, most of whom were flown out from schools across the east coast. The day started off with a breakfast and informational session, followed by two one hour back to back STAR interviews, whihch was the toughest part of the day. Then you had a panel with former interns who worked there fulltime and then lunch. After lunch there was a fun group activity where you and the other participants discussed a macroeconomic issue. Overall, the atmosphere was very friendly, and I was really blown away by the culture. About two weeks later, I had been called saying I had received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to motivate a group
      Tell me about a time you tried to teach someone something, but they couldn't get it
      Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with a coworker
        View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in November 2014.

Applied online and a representative from the HR department contacted me to schedule a time for a phone interview. The interview was STAR based behavioral questions. Questions such as give me a time you.... and discuss your strengths and weaknesses.

Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Vanguard has a very aggressive interview process. Vanguard follows the behavioral style interview question method. The interview process included a phone screening interview followed by multiple panel interviews. Once in the company, you have to interview for each position and it follows a very similar process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to do something that was not part of your job?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Financial Administrator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Vanguard has an extensive hiring process internal and external, they follow the behavioral style format. Normal you will have a phone interview first. Then a few panel inteviews. much preperation is needed for a vanguard interview.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time you had to do something that was not part of your job?   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard.

I met one of the recruiters at a career fair on campus and handed her my resume. After I emailed her and thanked her for speaking with me during the career fair, I received an email from HR scheduling a phone interview. I was scheduled for a 30min behavioral phone interview. This was the first time that I've done an interview over the phone.

They started the interview a few minutes late because they had trouble finding my resume online. The entire process was extremely awkward and the interviewer seemed cold. I know that they have to record my answers for each question, but the process seemed too mechanical. They would ask me a question like "What is your best quality?" and I would respond and also provide an example of me demonstrating this quality, but right after I answered this question I was asked "Describe a time when you demonstrated this quality." It didn't seem like they were interested in listening to my answers at the moment or having a conversation, they just wanted to record answers.

I was really nervous during the whole interview process and the recruiter didn't help much with her constant silence.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a disagreement with a boss or professor? How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied through university. Was scheduled a one on one interview on campus which was behavioral based. Asked specifically what an ETF, Bond, Stock, and Mutual Fund are.

Was called back within a week to schedule an onsite interview. The second interview consisted of a case study and role play. The case study was fairly easy, they just want to know that the customer is your first priority. The role play was a mock phone call with a customer who did not know what to do with her investments, and you had to guide her in a direction based on her concerns.

Interview Questions
    • what type of investment should a person make based on risk   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Had an initial phone interview with an HR representative. Discussed my skills and interests as well as job tasks. I was expecting a more technical and less sales oriented role.