VMware

VMware Interview Questions

Updated 26 Feb, 2015
Updated 26 Feb, 2015

3.2

Was contacted by VMware recruiter regarding a hiring event. First step was a phone conversation with a recruiter then a online test. The test was a programming assignment done online within a time limit of 90 mins. The code takes input and your code outputs data. It was challenging but I passed it. Then onsite where I had 4, 1hr interviews. Typical programming questions. All interviewers were very friendly and professional.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware.

Had applied through school. Pretty much basic technical questions and was asked to design a file system to test what all scenarios I was considering and giving more importance.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at VMware.

It consisted of several interviews over the phone and in person highly technical in nature

Site Reliability Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at VMware in February 2012.

Was contacted by a recruiter who found my resume online. Initial interview questions asked about past experience and soft skills with minor technical rapid-fire questions. Second interview was done without notice because a recruiter failed to communicate the date/time. I did it on short notice and as a result, it didn't go well.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in June 2011.

Fairly easy, but you need to know your stuff. We don't train just anybody.

Interview Questions
    Fairly easy. I asked I received and life is good.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware.

Initial phone interview. I knew this was just a phone screen. Since they bothered to call me, i guess they felt I was worth talking to. However, this phone screen was apparently very valuable to them instead of meeting in person or at least looking optimistically at an applicant's potential for learning on the job. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH LEARNING A FEW THINGS ON THE JOB?

Interview Questions
    • Disgusting phone interview. I didn't get further than that. Job was somewhat low-level and my resume and email clearly stated what I knew. Instead, the interviewer (and would-be manager) headed me off with questions well beyond that. I didn't mind, given that I can learn, but he apparently didn't think so - literally chuckling at me over the phone towards the end of the interview. He apparently couldn't understand that a guy can learn. Instead he treated the work as some unattainable black art, evidently NOT even wishing to see me in person. What, they don't have training materials at VMware? So judgemental and sickening. I was looking forward to working there too, but my hopes were completely dashed by this crummy behavior - of laughing at a job applicant. I wonder how many potentially good employees this company destroyed. A despicable job interview, probably meant to hire someone overseas or something.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at VMware.

it was just a basic questions ..to test basic skills...keep solving basic programming questions and some of the operating system concepts ..which are commonly asked ..since it is based on virtualization ...be focused on virtualization...there were two technical rounds

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware.

It was a hiring event scheduled for a new team to be set up in Bangalore. Here's the process:
    1) Pass a programming test online.
    2) 4 round of pure technical interviews. Mainly on linked list, trees, binary trees, maps, scripting, testing related.
    3) 1 HR round
    4) Results.

Interview Questions
    Offered a very good package. Didn't negotiate.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at VMware.

Had several rounds of phone interviews with cross teams and in teams. Invited on-site but it was not a great experience. Not sure if I was in the midst of their urgent projects deliverables but the interviewer' minds were on other pressing things. Process took around 3 weeks end to end.

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware in February 2015.

Very straight forward. Dropped the Cv based on job ad seen on a job search website. Had a phone call couple of days after. Phone call is the screening step, very formal and professional. After maybe 30 minutes, we agreed we were heading toward the same direction. Been offered a face-to-face interview on site.
    Second interview was simple straight forward, met a GSS team manager, one team member for the technical assessment, all together 1 hour...
    24 hours after Phone call for final decision...

Interview Questions
    • example of situation where one has to deal with an unhappy user?
      General standard questions... nothing tricky or sneaky.
      Real assessment of the potential, technically, team-player like, friendly, professional,
      I believe that's what they are checking as VMware is very customer satisfaction driven

Answer Question