VMware

381 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details Had applied through school. Pretty much basic technical questions and was asked to design a file system to test what all scenarios I was considering and giving more importance.

Interview Question – The interviewer has in-depth knowledge of file system   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Calgary, AB

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in June 2011.

Interview Details Fairly easy, but you need to know your stuff. We don't train just anybody.

Interview Question – None, I knew what I was doing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fairly easy. I asked I received and life is good.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details It consisted of several interviews over the phone and in person highly technical in nature

Interview Question – What is PATA   Answer Question

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Interview Details The interview process was actually very considerate and they tried to finish all the rounds in a day.

1. Written test - The only issue I found here (and some other companies as well) is they make you write using a pen and paper!! I think when you interview for a technology company, you must provide the interviewee with a computer. It saves paper and frankly, it had been so long since I wrote, it took forever!

2. Interview with senior members of the team - I think the girls who interviewed me wanted me to think like how their company works. I could only tell them how *I* work in my current situation. They were very critical and tried to make me get defensive which I did not appreciate.

3. Interview with the hiring manager - I liked talking to the manager who was more forthcoming with what he expected from the role and the plans the company & he had for the team as well.

Overall, everyone was extremely courteous and from the background I received of the team, it was a huge team and the growth opportunities were abundant, which was one of the main reasons I was looking for a change.

Partner Program Manager Interview

Palo Alto, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in January 2010.

Interview Details Great informal interview with 3 program managers. Basically asked about experience and to provide examples of work.

Interview Question – What inspires you to get up in the morning?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not very negotiable

Strategic Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ months - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details took 4 months - involved 8 interviews across team members, stakeholders in engineering, VP and SVP

Very Easy Interview

Director, Human Resources Interview

Mountain View, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied to the role via an employee referral within the same team but from a different region (the job was US based). It took about 3 weeks to hear back from a recruiter. She had apparently told the person who referred me that she had tried to contact me but I had not responded. I have no record of contact.

The recruiter scheduled a initial phone screen with me but then did not call on the agreed day and time, after waiting 30 mins I sent an email to her asking if she needed to reschedule. She immediately responded with an apology that her previous meeting had run over and rescheduled the call for later in the week. The second time around she called about 20 mins later than scheduled.

The pre-screen was fairly standard in process asking about my background and highlighted achievements in this space. She was not able to answer many of my questions around the team I'd be leading or current pain points in the program. That seemed fairly surprising since the role was in HR/Recruiting. The recruiter seemed impressed with my background and told me she would be recommending me to the hiring manager to move along to the next stage. At that time I told them I was also interviewing with two other companies for similar roles but would be excited to go to the next step with VMWare.

One month later I received an email from the recruiter saying she was sorry for the delay but the hiring manager had been traveling and she had not connected with him until today, and he had decided to hire another candidate.

Personally I would expect a more engaged and dynamic process from a tech company especially when dealing with a employee referral. You can learn a lot about a company's actions vs the wording of their expensive branding.

Interview Question – I wouldn't say any of the question's were difficult but I did find explaining the cultural nuances required in managing a global program, the recruiter seemed more focused on the US specific initiatives.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Palo Alto, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Interview Details applied to internal reference, process took 4-6 weeks

Interview Question – In total 7 rounds.
1st interview Telephonic- Gave a code to find out bugs and suggest improvements, Binary sort
2nd telephonic round - merging two linked lists in sorted order without using extra spaces
This was followed by final call on skype which had 5 rounds in a day, This is tricky since if they have anyy doubt on any part, since its a skype interview its not in the favor of the candidate, if that had been onsite, it could've been better.
3rd skype- out of n elements which can be unsorted with duplicates, output the indices of the three highest valued elements
4th- Binary tree question- given a node, how to find the height + print a given string (string) in the order:
s
tr
tri
tring
r.....
5th- print the permutations of a given string + T9 implementation [I actually solved both in the 1 hr of interview round!]
6th- given a string - tuTutuuti, print it as output: t3u4T1i1 in O(n) time without using any extra spaces and maps/etc other data structures
7th - find the height of the tree recursively + merge sort
Also random java questions in almost all the rounds..

Interview did went well except for 6th round which was taken by a female who was asking questions on how can u do this and how can you do that in the coding question which was coming out in a rude tone making it sound more like how dare you do this and that, so I figured out why I was rejected...
  Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at VMware in March 2014.

Interview Details Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and that led to several several phone interviews with two different recruiters. I had three or four technical phone interviews over the span of a few weeks before having an in person interview. The in person interview was with the hiring manager and lasted several hours.

Interview Question – There were plenty of technical questions but I don't believe I am allowed to share them. There were also a lot of questions about the travel requirement of the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were fairly straightforward. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Senior Manager, IT Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details Initial contact with vmware was very smooth and I could tell their processes were well thought out. After passing the interview, the offer portion of the conversation was a bit congested and their communications struggled a bit. Processing my offer was even a bit more difficult as I wasnt quite sure of my status right up until I had to turn in my 2 weeks to meet their expected start date. All in all the company made it well worth it and now as someone hiring into vmware I can tell they have ironed out all of my initial concerns.

Interview Question – What ground breaking technologies have you worked on and what were your biggest challenges in meeting goals.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

VMware Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware interview questions and advice. All 381 interview reviews are posted anonymously by VMware employees and interview candidates.