VMware

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer

Interviewed at VMware

Interview Details Was contacted by VMware recruiter regarding a hiring event. First step was a phone conversation with a recruiter then a online test. The test was a programming assignment done online within a time limit of 90 mins. The code takes input and your code outputs data. It was challenging but I passed it. Then onsite where I had 4, 1hr interviews. Typical programming questions. All interviewers were very friendly and professional.

Interview Question – Was not prepared for threading question.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details Had applied through school. Pretty much basic technical questions and was asked to design a file system to test what all scenarios I was considering and giving more importance.

Interview Question – The interviewer has in-depth knowledge of file system   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Calgary, AB

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in June 2011.

Interview Details Fairly easy, but you need to know your stuff. We don't train just anybody.

Interview Question – None, I knew what I was doing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fairly easy. I asked I received and life is good.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details It consisted of several interviews over the phone and in person highly technical in nature

Interview Question – What is PATA   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details I got referal from employee and got response after 2 weeks. They arranged a 45 mins phone interview. The interviewer was quite nice. I didn't manage to write the complete solution to the coding question but he let me send the code within 30 minutes, it could just for formality though.

Interview Question – Not so many difficult questions. At first some OS questions about thread/process, deadlocks, followed by a coding question that find the next smallest node in a BST then the given number. I was not well prepared though.   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

Software Engineer III
Sofia (Bulgaria)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in May 2014.

Interview Details I got in contact with VMWare through a recruiter and it was a very pleasant experience. Initially I received an e-mail with a problem that I had to resolve in under 1h. That went well (solved it in linear time) then the official interview began by having VMWare to setup the context via a phone call. Then we scheduled a face-2-face technical interview which spanned across 5 - 6h and 5 sessions.
 - First session was basic algorithmic (received a simple problem) + talks on complexity (big oh), data structures and algorithms
- Second session was some language specific & platform specific knowledge (C#/.NET) check where we discussed on how things work under the hood
- Third session was another algorithmic talk with a bit more complex problem that also involved parallel processing
- Forth session was about behvaioral skills (it was a customer facing role-play) + Software design & architecture
- Fifth session was about internal VMWare projects, culture and so on.
The interviewing crew were highly professional, and problem solving with them face 2 face was a pleasant experience. I had to write fully functional code on white-board and notepad++

Interview Question – How would you design & implement GC?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Location

Technical Support Engineer II Interview

Technical Support Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details I was contacted by a VMware recruiter about a week after submitting my application.

There was an initial phone screening with a verbal skills test. I answered a series of questions related to Windows administration, general networking and technology, and a few command line questions. There was some confusing wording on a couple of the questions, but when the recruiter saw that I was getting to the point he gave me little hints to help compensate for it.

I only missed one or two of these questions, after which time I was told that a Skype interview would be set up and that I would be contacted with further details. The next day I had an "in-person" scheduled over Skype for the following week.

The interview began with an introduction from the hiring manager, followed by questions from two Senior TSE's. Questions were regarding ESXi, vSphere, storage, and network, as it relates to datacenter connectivity and VMware products, particularly. They ranged in difficulty, and when I got to the point where I did not know an answer I would let them know.

There were a few about Windows administration, but not many, and a few general questions just to gauge my experience. This process went well and I was able to answer most of their queries without any issue. This took a little over 40 minutes and it was slated for 30.

In speaking with the hiring manager, I was told that I should sell myself and let him know just why I was their guy. This was easy since I believe in the company and their products, and had with me a natural enthusiasm from the hiring process as a whole. I was asked questions about customer service and how I had handled accounts in the past, and was also asked how I might be viewed by my current co-workers, boss, and clients. When it was my turn to ask questions, I was sure to hit on every point of interest about the company or culture that I had. I kept a prepared list that I referred to. I was sure to engage the manager in his own realm of expertise so that I could learn more about him and the company.

This portion took a little over an hour. The entire interview was scheduled to be an hour and a half, so when the manager had to go it was because of overlapping schedules. I asked if I could follow up and if I had answered everything as fully as I could. I was given an email address and told that I would be in touch with their decision.

I also followed up with the recruiter to let him know if they chose someone else that I would still be interested in any other positions they had, be it something suitable for my experience.

After about a week and a half I was contacted by a recruiter at the local office where I would be working and was told that I was selected out of the candidates to join the team. I was extended an offer, pending background check. I did try to negotiate salary, but was told that the offer was well thought out on their part based on my experience. I agreed with this (only having asked for a little more out of protocol) and accepted the offer.

The background check took about 8 days to complete.

It was exactly 4 weeks from the time of the Skype interview to my first day. VMware culture is wonderful and it is truly a great place to work!

Interview Question – "What does APD mean?"

Something about, "Name an interface that allows for applications to communicate with web based content or software"... the answer is API, but the question is more strangely worded.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I followed standard negotiation protocol and asked for a bit more, though not above a certain percentage. I was told the offer was well though out based on the position and my experience. I happily agreed and accepted.

Segment Solutions Marketing Manager Interview

Segment Solutions Marketing Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in January 2014.

Interview Details I applied for a Field Marketing Position, but their "scouting" recruiter (a contractor) convinced me that I was more suited for another role she had a req for, so she submitted me for their Solutions Marketing position instead. I did 3 phone interviews and then had 7 in-person interviews... I sent thank you notes to all the interviewers, followed up at timely and regular intervals with both the Lead Recruiter and the hiring manager... and never heard a single word about the position. They would not respond to my voicemails or my emails, not even a form email telling me they had filled the position and thanking me for my time.

Interview Question – The first 6 of the the interviewers asked good questions and reinforced that I would be a great fit based on my skills and personality... Basically telling me what I wanted to hear about the position. The 7th interviewer (their Sr. Director) was brutally honest, he told me what the job would really be like (very different from what the more jr. folks described), and said that based on the breadth my background he didn't feel that I would be happy in this role that he felt was very restricted in scope.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in April 2013.

Interview Details VMware had been to our college for recruiting intens for their Pune and Bangalore offices in India. The recruitment process started with we receiving a mail regarding the date and time of the recruitment process on our college mail.

The recruitment process consisted of a written technical and aptitude test. This consisted of questions on basic computer science, data structures, operating systems and mathematics.

The people who qualified for the next round were segregated into two groups: one for Pune office and one for Bangalore- I am not sure what the criteria was for this classification. After the people had been notified of their qualification and classification, they were asked if they had any issues with the location and could swap places, if they wanted. I was in the Bangalore office group.

The next round consisted of technical interviews. The Pune office had conducted 4 interviews- three technical and one HR interview. All three technical interivews lasted around 1 hour and the HR interivew lasted around 10 minutes.

There were 2 technical interviews for the Bangalore office. The first one lasted around an hour and the second one lasted around one and a half hour. The first interview consisted of questions on data structures, programming, basic problem solving abilities, academic projects, etc. The second interview consisted of questions on data structures, problem solving skills, programming, operating systems, basic computer science, etc.

Interview Question – All questions were pretty challenging- there is no single question I can hand-pick as the most difficult one.   Answer Question

Curriculum Production Specialist Interview

Curriculum Production Specialist

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at VMware in March 2013.

Interview Details Was brought in as a contractor and worked 3 months before being hired on. Had interviewed for the position 15 months earlier but another was hired. Process was fine as I was a referred candidate by an employee in the group I worked in.

Interview Question – Do not remember any specifics as I was an employee referral.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-eventful, got within the range that I wanted and was available for the position.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!