VMware

Updated 15 Dec, 2014
Updated 15 Dec, 2014

3.2

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Was contacted by VMware recruiter regarding a hiring event. First step was a phone conversation with a recruiter then a online test. The test was a programming assignment done online within a time limit of 90 mins. The code takes input and your code outputs data. It was challenging but I passed it. Then onsite where I had 4, 1hr interviews. Typical programming questions. All interviewers were very friendly and professional.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware.

Had applied through school. Pretty much basic technical questions and was asked to design a file system to test what all scenarios I was considering and giving more importance.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at VMware.

It consisted of several interviews over the phone and in person highly technical in nature

Site Reliability Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at VMware in February 2012.

Was contacted by a recruiter who found my resume online. Initial interview questions asked about past experience and soft skills with minor technical rapid-fire questions. Second interview was done without notice because a recruiter failed to communicate the date/time. I did it on short notice and as a result, it didn't go well.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in June 2011.

Fairly easy, but you need to know your stuff. We don't train just anybody.

Interview Questions
    Fairly easy. I asked I received and life is good.

Software Engineer Interview

ask some question about system debug and profiling, just do some coding for stack and a tree browser logic. Not very hard, take easy and get the position. the interviewer is quite nice and do not take a long time. This company choose people carefully.

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

I actually interviewed more than once for two separate TAM roles. The first round went through a series of 6 phone interviews. From what I understand I was final round but didn't get it. That started off with a technical interview which was a lot of questions surrounding the product stack. Be aware of new products and versions of vCloud, vSphere, vCAC, vCops, etc...

Not sure if that many interviews is typical. The second time I applied was when they called me back after 5 months for another opening. This interview process took around a month and was a few more interviews technical, and scenario type questions. I'd suggest preparing notes with product info, as well as focusing on use case examples of your resume history.

Interview Questions
    • The scenario questions are more of "what would you do in this situation". A lot of high level overview scenarios along the lines of how you deal with business stakeholders, interact with account teams, handle difficult conversations like customer pain points. Again, discuss use cases where you've implemented their products and what business problems you solved with them.   Answer Question
    Very happy with the offer, didn't negotiate.

Technical Administrator Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware.

very good experience and they give you a very warm vibe.Be yourself and don't fake anything because they evaluate you on the basis of your answers and they'll counter check your answers.

PhD Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in December 2014.

I met the recruiter and one of the staffs during the tech talk at my school. He is mainly resposible for recruting PhD student in VMware. We first figure out possible groups that are suitable for my research and then start the interview process.

My interviewer was another staff from VMware. We first went through my resume and I explained my research to him. He seemed not that interested to me but we continued with 2 technical questions: what is context switch, explain hash table implementation. I think I answered most of them. The coding part was translate a sorted list in to a balanced BTree, which is easier than I expected. This interview ended with a simple Q&A.

Interview Questions
    • What if we have no idea the key space of a hash table. How to modify the implementation to avoid collision.   View Answer

Have other plan

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Interview was tough. Highly technical. They gave lot of time to think. It was more then 5 rounds but not bit cool. They don't pressurize on a question, Simply change it if you are stuck.