VMware

Updated 16 Jan, 2015
Updated 16 Jan, 2015

3.2

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Was contacted by VMware recruiter regarding a hiring event. First step was a phone conversation with a recruiter then a online test. The test was a programming assignment done online within a time limit of 90 mins. The code takes input and your code outputs data. It was challenging but I passed it. Then onsite where I had 4, 1hr interviews. Typical programming questions. All interviewers were very friendly and professional.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware.

Had applied through school. Pretty much basic technical questions and was asked to design a file system to test what all scenarios I was considering and giving more importance.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at VMware.

It consisted of several interviews over the phone and in person highly technical in nature

Site Reliability Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at VMware in February 2012.

Was contacted by a recruiter who found my resume online. Initial interview questions asked about past experience and soft skills with minor technical rapid-fire questions. Second interview was done without notice because a recruiter failed to communicate the date/time. I did it on short notice and as a result, it didn't go well.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in June 2011.

Fairly easy, but you need to know your stuff. We don't train just anybody.

Interview Questions
    Fairly easy. I asked I received and life is good.

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

From the beginning working with the recruiters to the people I interviewed with my experience was stellar. Vmware handles the process with the upmost of professionalism!
    Paul also was helpful with advice and was very communicative throughout the process. Interviewing while you have a job can be very stressful but this was not the case with Vmware.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate much because the offer was very fair and the opportunity was great.

Engineering Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

I was contacted by a recruiter to see if I had any interest in exploring opportunities with VMware. I'd be contacted previously over the course of a couple years but since I was happy in my existing role I declined. Things changed and I decided to take up the recruiter on her offer to talk.

The first call with the recruiter was the standard set of questions to see where my interests lay and what my past experience entailed. She mentioned that she was sure the hiring manager would be interested in talking with me and within a couple weeks I had a call setup with him.

The call with the hiring manager was approximately an hour, though he was 15 minutes late in calling, so it ran a bit over our scheduled time but since it was the end of my day it didn't conflict with any other appointments I had. He explored my background, talked to me about the role, and asked some basic technical questions related to the role. Things went well and he mentioned that he wanted me to come in for an in-person interview and that someone would reach out to me to set up a time to meet.

For the in-person interview I met with 8 different VMware employees, a smattering of senior engineers (some who would report to me) and managers who would be my peers. The managers generally asked manager-type questions :-) (eg what is your management style, how do you deal with performance issues, etc), the senior engineers explored my technical chops. I've been through some grinding technical interviews where the engineers try to show off their battle wounds or "get your goat," this was definitely not one. I believe the idea was to make sure the foundations were there, not to verify whether or not I knew the specifics of every existing RFC put out by the IETF. Frankly, having been on the interview circuit for a few weeks, it was a fantastic breath of fresh air and was what really sold me on wanting to work with the team. It definitely countered my expectations going into the interview.

The next bit of the process was a bit prolonged. After being told that I was "the guy" they had me speak with some more folks from other offices across the globe. The feedback came back quick from the recruiter and it was all positive. VMware was going through a "soft" hiring freeze and it took a while (more than a month) for my requisition to be formally approved. Once it did, I accepted the first offer since it was in-line with my expectations.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't run into any particularly difficult or unexpected questions. Everything asked was related to the role. There weren't any bizarre brain teaser questions, etc.   Answer Question
    They asked me what I was looking for before their initial offer. I told them, and they gave it to me. Simple!

Immigration Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

The interviewing/ hiring process was very concise. It was super easy on my end. I went through a 45 minute phone screen then that was followed up with an in person interview that lasted about three hours.

Interview Questions
    • How often do you speak to lawyers regarding employment?

I was taken off guard with this question. This isn't usually a standard question for recruiters.

View Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

I actually interviewed more than once for two separate TAM roles. The first round went through a series of 6 phone interviews. From what I understand I was final round but didn't get it. That started off with a technical interview which was a lot of questions surrounding the product stack. Be aware of new products and versions of vCloud, vSphere, vCAC, vCops, etc...

Not sure if that many interviews is typical. The second time I applied was when they called me back after 5 months for another opening. This interview process took around a month and was a few more interviews technical, and scenario type questions. I'd suggest preparing notes with product info, as well as focusing on use case examples of your resume history.

Interview Questions
    • The scenario questions are more of "what would you do in this situation". A lot of high level overview scenarios along the lines of how you deal with business stakeholders, interact with account teams, handle difficult conversations like customer pain points. Again, discuss use cases where you've implemented their products and what business problems you solved with them.   Answer Question
    Very happy with the offer, didn't negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

ask some question about system debug and profiling, just do some coding for stack and a tree browser logic. Not very hard, take easy and get the position. the interviewer is quite nice and do not take a long time. This company choose people carefully.