Urban Outfitters

Getting the Interview

248 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online in January and didn't hear anything until March. First they sent me an online "opinion" survey to complete which had many questions about morals and ethics and drugs. It was really easy and only took 10 minutes. Then I went to the group interviews. There were 5 others in my group and one interviewer. It was super relaxed and was way more like a conversation than an interview. I'm usually terrible at interviews and I get really nervous but this was completely different. They asked 4 questions: why urban outfitters? Give an example of a time you had to deal with a difficult customer? What is your biggest passion? what was the last concert you went to? This phase was really to learn about your personality. You don't have to answer every question, but make sure you answer most and try to be first, but don't seem too pushy. They requested a second interview for me which will be one on one and it's tomorrow. Just be yourself, dress the part, and be friendly and you will get it.

Interview Question – why urban outfitters? Give an example of a time you had to deal with a difficult customer? What is your biggest passion? What was the last concert you went to?   Answer Question

Calgary, AB

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2012.

Interview Details I applied in store and maybe a week later i got a call to arrange a group interview. At the end of the group interview they gave most people a slip of paper with web link to an online survey quiz thing all about morals. If you didn't pass you didn't get the job.

Interview Question – There were a few odd questions, such as "who is your favourite blog" and "who is your favourite artist"   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2013.

Interview Details Filled out lengthy online application which included description of fashion taste, style icons and hobbies. Contacted by email to schedule a group interview about a month after submitting the application.

After the group interview I was emailed a questionnaire as soon as I got home. After completion, I waited a week and called the store to inquire if they would be notifying us if we would continue the application process and at this point I was asked to email them reference contact information. I was offered a position at the end of that week.

Interview Question – Having to describe random facts about yourself. Hard to know what they were looking for.   Answer Question

Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2013.

Interview Details Heard my friend's sister got in recently so i decided to give a shot as well. Applied online on friday and was sent an automatic survey to complete online. The survey focused primarily about work ethics, just be smart about it. I did the survey on saturday and received a phone call about 10 minutes later, which shocked me. Told to go to a group interview on sunday so i did. Only 3 people in total that came and the interview was easy and relaxed. Just questions like why urban outfitters? what is good customer service? Whole interview lasted about 25 minutes and we were told to come back for an individual interview on tuesday. So on tuesday i came and got an individual interview, pretty much same questions as group interview and was offered the position on the spot.

Interview Question – What would you do if you see someone suspicious?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – asked for my other job's wage and matched it.

Montreal, QC

I applied online - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied, I was sent a link to a quiz with double-edged statements that you had to disagree or agree with like "I used to be late all the time, but now I'm not". I then got an email telling me to come in to their interview.

Interview Question – They were simple questions - what are the latest trends, what did you like the least about your last job, why ou   Answer Question

Montreal, QC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

Interview Details 1 group interview, with 7 others. 1 online survey. 1 face to face interview with assistant manager

Interview Question – very general behavioral questions   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

Interview Details Applied online and got an email a week later for an open interview between 10am - 12pm. The interview was in a group setting where we basically had about 5 minutes to tell them; "What we did outside of work, What we loved to do the most, and what we appreciated most about Urban.

Left the interview feeling a bit disappointed as a group interview that lasts five minutes is a bit blah. Nonetheless, a day later, I got an email asking me to take their online competency test, (such a weird set of questions) and send it back.

The next day, i got an phonecalll telling me to come in for a second interview( this time it was in pairs). I Was asked questions such as; "What would you do if you saw someone shoplifting and there were no managers about?" Also "How do you handle large volumes in a busy store?

left the interview feeling pretty confident, and later got an email telling me that they think i would be a great addition to the team and for me to send two references. I will probably send my two refernces tomorrow.

Interview Question – What we did outside of work, What we loved to do the most, and what we appreciated most about Urban?"
"How do you handle large volumes in a busy store?
  Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details I applied to the website and received an e-mail a few days later (which I assume to be automated) telling me to come in for a group interview. The interview was pretty short, about five questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about an instance wherein you caught a co-worker do something that he/she was not supposed to do.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2013.

Interview Details Completed application online, 6 months later (!) received email offering me to come to a group interview. I already had another job but was looking for part time so went anyway. We were 8 or 9 people, the interview took place in the middle of the store and the music was so loud I could barely hear the recruiter talking. I am 25 and I must have been the oldest girl there (the recruiter looked like he just graduated from high school). I took a quick look at the other candidate's resume and most of them never had a job before.
Questions completely random: where would you like to retire - what would be your summer festival. Was not called back - I never asked why, but I believe I was too old for them.

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

Interview Details I applied online on the UO website. The online application consisted of questions about yourself regarding music, fashion and personal interests. Be as detailed as possible!!! And also remember to be yourself because they might question you on it later. About 2-3 weeks later, I recieved an email inviting me to attend a group interview. There were two people interviewing us (we were about 7 people) and they made us feel very relaxed and comfortable. Remember to speak up and try to be the first to answer so they see you're interested. They asked questions such as: Why Urban? Example of good customer service? Who would you describe as a leader? A time you didn't follow directions? Previous experience? The interview started with us simply introducing ourselves so make sure you seem unique and stand out from the rest. It lasted about 45 minutes and before we left, they asked us to email them 2 references. When I got home, they had emailed me a link to complete a survey online. Be careful with this- some questions are tricky. So now I'm just waiting for a call back!

Interview Question – Why UO?
Who's a leader to you?
Who do you look up to?
Good/bad customer service?
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Urban Outfitters

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Urban Outfitters Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 248 interview reviews posted anonymously by Urban Outfitters employees and interview candidates.