Urban Outfitters Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.2

310 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

I applied online through their site after seeing an ad somewhere that they were hiring for their Queen St. location. The application was pretty detailed in itself it asked about my personal style, where I get my fashion inspiration from, who are my style icons, etc. And some basic job related questions like why do I wanna work at UO.

About a month or so later I got an email saying I've been invited for a group interview session at one of the few dates and I could come whenever I wanted. They asked us to dress as if we were going to work (at UO so I wore a skater skirt, cropped top and a denim shirt. The turnout was incredible and a lot of people showed up and we were led upstairs tot he second floor of the store and were told to line up while they continued with the other groups.
They gathered about like 10-12 people at a small table with one hiring manager person and we were all told to tell everyone something about ourselves. Afterwards he asked two questions directed at everyone, which was really weird because the questions were really weird. One was about loss prevention and how you' deal with a customer who might be stealing something and there's really only one right answer to this; to approach the customer and ask if you can help them with something, or tell security or w.e so if you didn't speak up first you couldn't really add much. The second question was the most absurd like 'if you were to emulate the work ethic of an artist on stage, who would you choose?'

He said they'd be calling us in a week to let us know if we got the job.

Interview Questions
  • If you were to emulate the work ethic of an artist on stage who would you choose?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I went to a job fair they were holding in store. I was the first to arrive and received two short interviews. The first was with two team leaders that asked me more about trends, my personality, and why I wanted to work there. The second was with the store manager and he asked more questions that had to do with the actual job such as customer service, receiving bad criticism, and availability. He then told me he'd contact me later. The next day I received an email asking me to do an online interview using the HireVue app. It asked 4 very easy questions, the first asking to draw a picture and describe it. Then I waited another week for an email with a request to complete an ethics survey. Mostly had to do with doing drugs on the job, loss prevention, etc. Essentially, you answer how you would if you wanted to work there. (Be a goody two shoes). Now I am waiting to see if they will contact me with an offer or not.

Interview Questions
    • If you could combine two any two animals together, what would they be?
      Describe the last time you received bad criticism.
      Describe the last time you received good customer service.
      Draw a picture of yourself and describe it.
      What's one item you could not live without?
        Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

The process took about 2 weeks. I applied online and got an email inviting be to their open interview, so I went. I didn't even know there was an open interview for anyone at all, even if they were just shopping and saw the poster so there were probably over 200 people. Everybody lined up and there were 4 interviewers. The interview was 1 on 1 - a sales associate would tell us which of the 4 interviewers to go to when it was your turn. I was very lucky because the guy that ended up interviewing me was actually the manager who read my application. Interview was fairly easy - mostly about what you like to do and personality questions.
    The next day i got an email asking me to do the video interview from Hirevue. The interview was pretty easy as well, even though i was super awkward talking to myself in front of a camera and i felt that I wouldn't make it through to the next step, but sure enough i did!
    After the weekend I got an email asking me to complete the ethics quiz / opinion survey. The questions were mostly straight forward but some of the questions threw me off and were tricky. You need to take your time to read carefully. Since i got an email back a day after for all the other times, I was sure i failed this survey since i didn't get anything, but 2 days later at night, I received an email inviting me to a 2nd interview.
    So i went, and was super nervous because I knew if I messed up here i'd be screwed. And yes, i messed up pretty bad because when telling the manager about myself I accidentally told him I had no talents... oops. But he was very nice about it, and carried on a conversation about how we all find our talents sooner or later and asked me about my hobbies, basically helping me find my talent. Overall, I think there were 3 questions because we spent most of the time making conversation about music, school, life, etc. The questions were more serious than the first though, as it asked about what you know about the job and such.

So, after that mistake i made and being super awkward at my 2nd interview I was sure i didn't get the job.. There were around 10 others at the 2nd interview. But today I get a call from the manager offering me a job and excited doesn't being to describe my feelings right now! I don't even have any retail experience! (And in Canada they hire at any age, not 18 like the other posts say, although I'm sure it'd be better to be over 16.)

Interview Questions
    • If money wasn't an issue, what kind of party would you throw?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kingston, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2014.

Process took a little over a month. Submitted resume + cover letter online. Got an email inviting me to open interviews. There were 4 other people in my interview. The questions they asked were focused on personality (so you gotta be creative with your answers). I got an email a few days later with the online ethics quiz. You just have to answer it like a goody two shoes. Some questions may be a little tricky, but just answer it logically. Then, I didn't hear anything back for a good 2 weeks - I thought I didn't get the job. But they emailed me one day asking me to come in for a second interview. I showed up for my interview probably 15 mins early (I was the first one there), and there were 7 other people in my interview group. This time, they mixed in personality questions with more serious interview questions. Just make sure you're either the first or second person to answer and never copy someone else's answer - if you do, make sure to elaborate on it. The next day, I got the call telling me I was hired!

Interview Questions
    • If you could have any super power, what would it be?
      If you could change anything about this store, what would you change?
      Name a celebrity that you think embodies the UO motto.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2014.

I applied online and received an automated invitation to their group interview being held the next day. I showed up and there was a mass of people there... I would say about 25+ people. Needless to say, it was a longer wait. We were spilt into groups of six and interviewed by one of the assistant managers. She did a good job of making us feel comfortable and engaging an individual who was quiet in my group when everyone had said their answer. She was really encouraging and friendly as well as conversational. She said the store was looking to hire as many people as they like, as they didn't have a set number, but it was based on who they thought had the potential to be a great sales associate. Either before or after the group interview you are sent a drug/shop theft basic knowledge test to take online. Everyone in group had already done the quiz, and the results are sent to headquarters. I think because I had applied the day before, I was sent the email afterwards. How it basically works is once she asks a question any person in the group can speak or choose not to speak. It was very informal.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2010.

it was very easy - I applied online but if you apply in store you just need to look "urban" ie wearing their clothing. Make sure you know cool bands to say in the interview. They just want cool people who are somewhat outgoing.

I just took the offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2014.

Applied online and got an email the next day asking me to come in for an interview. The interview was really disappointing. It was a group interview were we were asked three questions: Why do you want to work for UO? What are you passionate about? and Describe a time when you had to deal with a bad customer. The interviewer told us to keep our answers short and simple which was, again, very disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • All were typical interview questions but I guess "what are you passionate about?"   Answer Question

I realized that I actually did not want to work there at all and I only applied because I need a job. Additionally, many of the employees were a bit too "weird" for me.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2014.

I applied online in January and didn't hear anything until March. First they sent me an online "opinion" survey to complete which had many questions about morals and ethics and drugs. It was really easy and only took 10 minutes. Then I went to the group interviews. There were 5 others in my group and one interviewer. It was super relaxed and was way more like a conversation than an interview. I'm usually terrible at interviews and I get really nervous but this was completely different. They asked 4 questions: why urban outfitters? Give an example of a time you had to deal with a difficult customer? What is your biggest passion? what was the last concert you went to? This phase was really to learn about your personality. You don't have to answer every question, but make sure you answer most and try to be first, but don't seem too pushy. They requested a second interview for me which will be one on one and it's tomorrow. Just be yourself, dress the part, and be friendly and you will get it.

Interview Questions
    • why urban outfitters? Give an example of a time you had to deal with a difficult customer? What is your biggest passion? What was the last concert you went to?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2012.

I applied in store and maybe a week later i got a call to arrange a group interview. At the end of the group interview they gave most people a slip of paper with web link to an online survey quiz thing all about morals. If you didn't pass you didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • There were a few odd questions, such as "who is your favourite blog" and "who is your favourite artist"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2013.

Filled out lengthy online application which included description of fashion taste, style icons and hobbies. Contacted by email to schedule a group interview about a month after submitting the application.

After the group interview I was emailed a questionnaire as soon as I got home. After completion, I waited a week and called the store to inquire if they would be notifying us if we would continue the application process and at this point I was asked to email them reference contact information. I was offered a position at the end of that week.

Interview Questions
    • Having to describe random facts about yourself. Hard to know what they were looking for.   Answer Question

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!