University of Washington

Relevance Date Difficulty

Office Assistant Interview

Office Assistant
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in July 2014.

Interview Details Pretty standard interview questions. First was a phone screen, and then a couple days later an email for an invite to an in person interview. The in person lasted two hours, with the first hour being with three people in the office, then a couple one on one interviews. The questions were clear and nothing to throw you off.

Interview Question – None. They had a sheet with general questions about experience and scenarios you have either had or will probably need to deal with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As others have stated, there is no negotiation process.

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Washington in September 2013.

Interview Details Applied online Aug 1, 2013. First contact was Aug 27th boilerplate email, "Dear Candidate...we're conducting 15 minute phone interviews over the next 3 days, if you are interested in pursuing this opportunity, please choose a time from one of the following 4 hour blocks and we will call you. 15 minute phone interview on was with the Administrator of the department, mostly feeling me out about the (low) pay range. An email followed that day requesting an in person interview the following week.

Parking is challenging, get a ride if possible. Interview was approximately 1.5 hours long with 3 people, the Administrator I'd been emailing/speaking with previously, and 2 Department Heads. Questions were very standard, read from an HR form, "Describe a time when you faced a conflict with a coworker and how you handled it", "If you were given an assignment and a deadline that you found was impossible to meet...", etc.

Overall it seemed to go very well. Both Department heads seemed very interested and impressed. Administrator was quiet.

Got a form email on 9/25/13 that another candidate had been chosen.

(The position had been eliminated a year previously due to budget cuts. It felt as though I may have been one of several required competitive candidates, so they could bring back the person who'd previously held the position. But this is only a guess.)

Interview Question – No unexpected or difficult questions.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview Details professor-interview over Skype, where the professor asked about how I view his research and what I would like to do in future projects. Also asked about was the previous research experience.

Interview Question – techniques used in prior research and techniques expected in future projects   Answer Question

CLUE Tutor--physics Interview

CLUE Tutor--physics
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview Details After submitting a resume and cover letter, qualified applicants are contacted for an in-person interview. The 90-minute interview process has two stages. The first is a skills test, with which the prospective tutor demonstrates their ability to answer, or at least try to elucidate, physics questions that would typically be asked during a drop-in tutoring session. The second is a panel interview, with the current lead tutor (and incoming, if any), assistant director of ASP, and possibly the director. The panel interview has a typical interview portion ("describe a conflict you overcame..." etc), and a role-playing portion.

Interview Question – The most interesting question I was asked during my own interview was about how to handle a student who regularly used profanity, violent language, and raised their voice when speaking to tutors. I gathered that this was not abstract, but an actual problem presented by a regular student. (Though, mercifully, this is not a typical problem at this tutoring center.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The minimum pay is set by a collective bargaining agreement, and in four years I never saw any instances of CLUE paying above the minimum. Hours are somewhat negotiable.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Washington in June 2013.

Interview Details I found the ad through my PI's website. I sent an email inquiring about the position and was asked to submit my CV in return. It was only a few days after that I was asked to have a brief phone interview where I was asked a few questions about my background and skills. Nothing too difficult and everyone was pleasant.

Interview Question – Probably the most challenging was whether I planned to stay in academia. Because I am not entirely sure if I do, I didn't want it to affect my chances for the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I requested an increase in salary and flexible schedule.

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in September 2011.

Interview Details One phone interview, followed by one in person interview before receiving offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – In addition to salary caps, you may be up against budget caps. But it never hurts to ask.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Graduate Teaching Assistant
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in September 2012.

Interview Details apply based on internal referal

Interview Question – nothing unexpected, show your background and skills in the position you apply   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Assistant Director

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview Details I applied for the position online, at which point my resume was forwarded to the department and then I was contacted for an interview via email. I was not given an email update when my resume status changed, though it was updated on the UW job website.

The interview itself wasn't bad, though I was underqualified for the position and it showed. I found the interview panel (three people) to be professional and friendly. The questions were mostly related to the job, but they also tried to get to know me as well. It was a pleasant experience even though I didn't get an offer.

Interview Question – How will you handle working with and assisting people who have more experience than you?   Answer Question

GIS Program Manager Interview

GIS Program Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview Details Two 5-on-1 interviews.

Interview Question – What new programs would you like to develop?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No flexibility on salary.

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Washington in August 2013.

Interview Details Group Interview with multiple people

Interview Question – How do you deal with difficult coworkers   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was offered the position and salary as is.

Worked for University of Washington? Contribute to the Community!