University of Minnesota

76 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Associate Interview

Program Associate

I applied online and interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview Details Can take very long since this is essentially working for the state. LOTS of applicants for every job. Applicants are initially screened by Central HR to see if you meet the basic requirements. Then, applicants are sent to the departments for review. I have worked in a few departments at the U now and I noticed that positions that are in the Academic Health Center or Medical School is much more rigorous when it comes to the interviewing process then in the Liberal Arts or something else.

Interview Question – What was one thing you did in your old job that demonstrated innovation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Department went through HR so that they did not need to have that "difficult conversation" about salary.

Coordinator (Professional & Administrative - P&A Level) Interview

Coordinator (Professional & Administrative - P&A Level)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in July 2010.

Interview Details Separate on-site interviews with different faculty members on site, also met or interviewed with other staff that I would be working with if I was given the job. Other interactions by phone and email during the consideration process.

Negotiation Details – Starting salary, position title, start date

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview Details Few letters of recommendations from former mentors qualified me for this position as they were acquaintances with the PI. It took 2 weeks after initial contacts to receive an offer and paperwork from the HR.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation regarding the salary-benefits and insurance

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview Details Applied online through official website, talked to future advisor through Skype before coming. My advisor is quite easy-going and didn't have too many questions since I don't speak English as first language. I received offer within 3 months

Interview Question – To what extent do you understand my research area   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant PhD Interview

Graduate Research Assistant PhD

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview Details telephone interview. two professors vs me. questioned about previous research experiences, research interests, how did I know about UofM, long term career goal. very relaxed atmosphere, lasted about 20~30 minutes. get offer letter the next day of the interview.

Reason for Declining – not ranked as high as this institute

Junior Scientist Interview

Junior Scientist
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2010.

Interview Details My initial communication began by emailing a research professor who emailed me back three weeks later telling me the email mysteriously took three weeks for her to receive. Although I saw this was a red flag, I was desperate for a job.

Interview Question – What kind of research did you do before?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview Details Applied through online system. Got an phone interview in 1 month. the phone talk is within 10 mins. Mainly about my previous research experience. The interviewer is pretty nice, no tricky questions, pretty informal talk. I think that the phone interview is mainly about testing my communication skills.

Interview Question – nothing special, previous reseach experience   Answer Question

Custodian Interview

Custodian
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2012.

Interview Details It was pretty straightforward. I submitted my documents and they got back to me within the next few days. Had an interview with my current supervisor who asked standard questions. Got an offer within the next few days.

Interview Question – There wasn't too many difficult questions.   Answer Question

Adjunct Professor Interview

Adjunct Professor

Interviewed at University of Minnesota

Interview Details I was a Masters student when I was asked to apply for an adjunct assistant professor position. I think I was in the right place at the right time because someone else had just given their notice. I was offered the position before it was posted online. It was opened, I applied and the posting was closed.

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate in my department. Everyone who is adjunct makes the same salary. Perks are in the form of lighter teaching loads or release time.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2010.

Interview Details I was contacted by them via e-mail asking to apply, I did so and was accepted.

Interview Question – None, no interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!