University of Melbourne

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Lecturer Interview

Senior Lecturer

Interviewed at University of Melbourne

Interview Details Once you get through the application phase and initial communications, you can expect to deliver a mock teaching session wherein you will be required to demonstrate your communication and presentation skills. The mock audience will be keen to ask clarifying questions and they shall then test your ability to deliver the concepts in an easy-to-understand manner. Overall, the process is simple and well-structured and as far as you have the required skills, it shouldn't be challenging to get through.

Interview Question – How would you expect a similar concept to students who possess an average understanding of the English language?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Research Fellow

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Melbourne.

Interview Details allow sufficient time;
are conducted in a private and comfortable environment;
pose probing questions without creating undue stress;
have questions framed around the selection criteria;
have the candidates’ responses recorded;
will clarify each candidate’s interpersonal skills;
will explore gaps or discrepancies;
probe reasons for leaving previous positions;
where each panel member checks their assumptions and biases;
clarify that the applicant can carry out all aspects of the job.

Interview Question – canvas core topics agreed upon and asked of all candidates;
maintain control of the interview;
apply criteria in an objective and neutral way in their evaluation of the candidates;
have the ability to formulate probing questions that lead to a full, complete and accurate picture of the candidate;
are objective and neutral in their evaluation of the candidates and their employment situations;
have the ability to draw out examples of the individual?s attitudes, temperament, beliefs and experiences;
know about legal issues concerning discriminatory inference and/or intrusive questions that infringe on privacy;
are highly skilled at listening and evaluating what is being said and how it is expressed;
are professional but friendly, helping the applicant feel relaxed and comfortable enough to present in the best possible way.
  Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Melbourne.

Interview Details There will normally be at least three people on the panel, which can be a bit intimidating
Normally a set list of questions linked to the Key Selection Criteria. They may also ask further questions about things listed on your CV. Technical skills also important

Interview Question – This role looks very different to your other interests/experiences - how do you see it fitting in?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation

Administration Assistant Interview

Administration Assistant
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at University of Melbourne in January 2013.

Interview Details Applied for an advertised position.

Negotiation Details – Easy

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

Interviewed at University of Melbourne

Interview Details Contact the boss via email attached with the resume. Then a telephone interview called from the boss directly. It last a bit long time since the sent of the application to the reply from the boss, about one month. After the interview, the boss quickly agreed to offer a position and prepare the contract.

Tutor Interview

Tutor
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at University of Melbourne in March 2009.

Interview Details The hiring process is typically done internally. I was a PhD student at the time, so I didn't actually apply for the job, my supervisor suggested that I might be interested. As soon as I said that I was interested, I was hired with no interview. Other tutors typically as the subject coordinator directly, but tutors are generally not interviewed because they are already known to the subject coordinator.

Interview Question – Would you like to tutor this subject?   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Melbourne in September 2011.

Interview Details Long procedure. Initial was a phone conversation to the Professor. I was asked to come and meet him to have a direct interview. The interview took half a day and I was asked to summarise my skills and write a report at the end of it.

Also was asked to understand the work of the lab and talk to other members. It was a tiring and long interview process.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself 10 years from now.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Melbourne in September 2012.

Interview Details Initial email contact followed by 1 on 1 interview

Interview Question – Did you consider going overseas?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Research Fellow
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Melbourne in March 2010.

Interview Details Internal referral within the University. Invited to interview with academic I knew and who knew my work. One on one interview concerning the possible position and the likely work entailed. The work was basically laboratory work/report & paper writing/supervision of research assistants and undergrad students. I was asked to give a proposal on the spot, as to how I would initially go about engineering/solving the solution to the specific challenges entailed for the position. I was also asked about my career plans. I was offered the job at the end of the interview - which I immediately accepted.

Interview Question – It was a technical question regarding the step by step process I would go through to synthesize particular chemical products? How I would design the chemical products ? why ? in what stages I would examine the different designs ? why ?   Answer Question

Worked for University of Melbourne? Contribute to the Community!