University of Melbourne

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Fellow Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Melbourne.

Interview Details allow sufficient time;
are conducted in a private and comfortable environment;
pose probing questions without creating undue stress;
have questions framed around the selection criteria;
have the candidates’ responses recorded;
will clarify each candidate’s interpersonal skills;
will explore gaps or discrepancies;
probe reasons for leaving previous positions;
where each panel member checks their assumptions and biases;
clarify that the applicant can carry out all aspects of the job.

Interview Question – canvas core topics agreed upon and asked of all candidates;
maintain control of the interview;
apply criteria in an objective and neutral way in their evaluation of the candidates;
have the ability to formulate probing questions that lead to a full, complete and accurate picture of the candidate;
are objective and neutral in their evaluation of the candidates and their employment situations;
have the ability to draw out examples of the individual?s attitudes, temperament, beliefs and experiences;
know about legal issues concerning discriminatory inference and/or intrusive questions that infringe on privacy;
are highly skilled at listening and evaluating what is being said and how it is expressed;
are professional but friendly, helping the applicant feel relaxed and comfortable enough to present in the best possible way.
  Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Melbourne.

Interview Details There will normally be at least three people on the panel, which can be a bit intimidating
Normally a set list of questions linked to the Key Selection Criteria. They may also ask further questions about things listed on your CV. Technical skills also important

Interview Question – This role looks very different to your other interests/experiences - how do you see it fitting in?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation

Administration Assistant Interview

Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at University of Melbourne in January 2013.

Interview Details Applied for an advertised position.

Negotiation Details – Easy

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

Interviewed at University of Melbourne

Interview Details Contact the boss via email attached with the resume. Then a telephone interview called from the boss directly. It last a bit long time since the sent of the application to the reply from the boss, about one month. After the interview, the boss quickly agreed to offer a position and prepare the contract.

Tutor Interview

Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at University of Melbourne in March 2009.

Interview Details The hiring process is typically done internally. I was a PhD student at the time, so I didn't actually apply for the job, my supervisor suggested that I might be interested. As soon as I said that I was interested, I was hired with no interview. Other tutors typically as the subject coordinator directly, but tutors are generally not interviewed because they are already known to the subject coordinator.

Interview Question – Would you like to tutor this subject?   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Melbourne in September 2011.

Interview Details Long procedure. Initial was a phone conversation to the Professor. I was asked to come and meet him to have a direct interview. The interview took half a day and I was asked to summarise my skills and write a report at the end of it.

Also was asked to understand the work of the lab and talk to other members. It was a tiring and long interview process.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself 10 years from now.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Melbourne in September 2012.

Interview Details Initial email contact followed by 1 on 1 interview

Interview Question – Did you consider going overseas?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Research Fellow
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Melbourne in March 2010.

Interview Details Internal referral within the University. Invited to interview with academic I knew and who knew my work. One on one interview concerning the possible position and the likely work entailed. The work was basically laboratory work/report & paper writing/supervision of research assistants and undergrad students. I was asked to give a proposal on the spot, as to how I would initially go about engineering/solving the solution to the specific challenges entailed for the position. I was also asked about my career plans. I was offered the job at the end of the interview - which I immediately accepted.

Interview Question – It was a technical question regarding the step by step process I would go through to synthesize particular chemical products? How I would design the chemical products ? why ? in what stages I would examine the different designs ? why ?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for University of Melbourne? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Melbourne interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews are posted anonymously by University of Melbourne employees and interview candidates.