University College London

Updated 11 Oct, 2014

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University College London.

- Online application (CV, personal statement, research proposal etc.)
    - Assessment center type interview
    - Interviews are conducted by several potential supervisors
    - Final stage of interview is to give a 20 mins presentation of a research project or proposal and followed by 10-20 mins of questions
    However it varies from department to department. Some of my colleagues had only one interview with the potential supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Overall everyone is very accommodating. The process is very competitive. Questions can be very specific.   Answer Question
    The starting time was negotiated

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University College London in September 2012.

friend emailed me a job link he found on a listserv. I applied online; it was the standard academic application procedure. Maybe a week or two later I received an email setting up an interview for a week hence. Interviewed, and was offered the post by email half an hour after the interview was over.

Interview Questions
    My start date was incredibly negotiable. But that was about the only negotiating. Salary was completely non-negotiable. Work schedule was whatever I wanted as long as I averaged enough hours per month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University College London in April 2012.

Applied and was offered an interview for the following week. Interviewed via Skype. Interview consisted of some basic questions about experience, behavior, and abilities. Interviewers were friendly and it seemed like more of a discussion than an interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are the differences between Alzheimers and Frontotemporal Dementia?   Answer Question
    • Living in a rural town in the US, do you think living in London would be difficult for you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University College London in March 2012.

Public Adv. for 3 weeks for recruitment, followed by selecting candidates for interviews and final selection.

Interview Questions
    • Usually specific to your research experience   View Answer

Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University College London in August 2009.

Submission of CV and letter of interest - shortlist invited interview with panel of 3 faculty members (line manager, dept director, outsider)

Interview Questions
    • How will the position help you achieve your long-term goals? and What can you contribute?   Answer Question
    There is little negotiation for this level position at UK universities. Salaries stick very close to determined scales.

Ad Hoc Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University College London in January 2008.

Submission of required paperwork, with statement of purpose, and one-to-one interview. Interview, like application, was based on internal reference and never opened to outsiders, as this was a cut-rate employment. There was no negotiation. Salary was pre-determined by administrators within the employers. No benefits. No leave. It all amounted to voluntary work with slight financial reimbursement.