UnitedHealth Group

624 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Development Interview

Calgary, AB

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2013.

Interview Details Very easy interview given by a couple of senior managers that did not seem very educated in HR or interviewing process. They asked what seemed to be some very standard questions giving little thought to actually explaining the role and then offered me the job on the spot. I told them that i would think about it then decided to turn them down because I had serious reservations about the management.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – No confidence in management

Senior IT Business Analyst Interview

Plymouth, MN (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

Interview Details I had 1 phone interview with HR, 1 phone interview with the hiring manager, and one face to face interview with the Sr. director. After that I got an offer. They gave me what I asked for with no negotiations. They have standard generic questions that they ask, but if you can relate those to the job and a positive outcome, all the better.

Interview Question – Think of a difficult question and plan your response ahead of time. For example, have your ever implemented a project and found defects?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They just gave me what I asked for. I figured what I was previously making and added $5000.

Appeals Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2014.

Interview Details I was contacted by HR rep and talked for about 15 minutes. She scheduled me for an interview with the hiring manager a few days later.

Interview Question – Asked what experience I had in Medicare Appeals. I had worked for Medicare many years prior but had no experience with their appeal process. That was about it. All the other questions were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Client Services Manager Interview

I applied online and interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details Contacted by recruiter who was very nice and professional, then scheduled for a 1 hour phone interview. The recruiter worked for UHG. It appears the person conducting the phone interview, however, was from an outsourced company as she called from a blocked #. The person conducting the telephone interview in my opinion should not be in her position. Very rude and unprofessional, and I was constantly interrupted when providing answers to her questions. She would then repeat what I told her but it was not what I had communicated to her. I kept having to correct her and I could sense this angered her.

Senior Developer Interview

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details Contacted by in house recruiter for Optum via linkedin. She wooed me and was very nice, interviewed for about 2 hours at office in San Diego with IT staff. Thought it went well, thought I had the job or at least an offer, called the recruiter, she never called me back. Never heard back, EVER. Not even a thank you for your time. No follow up period. Several months later, got a call from a different in-house recruiter, via linkedin for the same job, same location. I politely passed.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult for me. It's what I do for a living.   View Answer

Claims Associate Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in December 2012.

Interview Details I applied throgh an online job portal. There were four rounds of interview. First round was HR round. We were asked to introduce ourselves followed by a group discussion. It was not very difficult. Then, there was a written test & typing round & finally the operations round.

Interview Question – It was an average interview. There was nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Minnetonka, MN (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in April 2014.

Interview Details Submitted my resume online and had a friend who works there currently give me a referral. The first interview is a phone interview where several behavioral questions are asked as well as briefly going through your interest in the position. Next I was brought into an in person interview which consisted of interviewing with two sales managers, one of whom was conference called into the interview. This portion of the interview focused on work history and more behavioral style questions. I was advanced to the final round of the interview process which included a telephone role-play interview in which you are instructed to sell a product (health/auto/life) insurance to a sales member who role plays the interaction with you. I don't have a prior background in insurance and did some research into the company's products and service but didn't feel that the means you were measured by were communicated to you effectively prior to the role-play taking place. I received an email 15 minutes later stating that I was not in the running any longer.

Interview Question – Being asked to sell insurance when you have no industry knowledge is kind of a daunting task. I proceeded with a questions based selling style by trying to find what the role-playing salesman was looking for and then offering a product that met their needs.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Minnetonka, MN (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in March 2014.

Interview Details I filled out the application online, which consisted of the basic demographic formalities, a resume/CV upload, a call-center simulation as well as a personality assessment. After completing these sections, I received an immediate email confirming my application's submission. About two weeks later, I received a phone call from a recruiter who summarized the position for me and asked me a few questions about my goals and abilities. She was extremely pleasant and easy to talk to. The recruiter then scheduled me for a phone interview the following week with another recruiter. The phone interview was extremely uncomfortable. The questions were traditional situation-behavioral response questions however the interviewer seemed arrogant and as if she didn't believe my responses. About half way through the interview I buckled under the pressure and my responses dropped in quality because the interviewer made it more than obvious that she was not impressed. I had a few specific questions about the position I was applying for at the end of the interview, but the interviewer didn't know the answers and suggested I "ask a hiring manager if I get moved forward." Roughly one week after the phone interview I received an email from UHC Talent Acquisition informing me that I was not selected to move forward in the process.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you attempted to implement a solution to a problem despite lack of support from others.   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

I applied through other source and interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details I was part of an Acquisition and didn't have to participate in the interview process.

Interview Question – Would I be willing to take a pay decrease   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Jacksonville, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2013.

Interview Details The hiring process took about two weeks. From applying online, then an online assessment test once you pass that, you will then go to the company for another onsite assessment (a hint, just like the online assessment. Once you pass, you might actually get a face to face interview by the manager.

The manager who interviewed me, I was very disappointed, due to the fact she really didnt ask challenging questions, the interview also lasted 10 minutes. Then I was advised to wait in the lobby, the HR rep stated that the manager is very impressed and want me to come back for a 2nd interview. The HR rep stated if I have time right now, she can conduct one.

One question is why UnitedHealth Group?
What skills and qualities do you have that is better than others?
Why should we hire you?

Interview Question – It was the basic interview questions, it is also good to prepare just in case.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at UnitedHealth Group

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group interview questions and advice. All 624 interview reviews are posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees and interview candidates.