UnitedHealth Group Interview Questions

Updated 27 Apr, 2015

2.8

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Calgary, AB) in January 2013.

Interview

Very easy interview given by a couple of senior managers that did not seem very educated in HR or interviewing process. They asked what seemed to be some very standard questions giving little thought to actually explaining the role and then offered me the job on the spot. I told them that i would think about it then decided to turn them down because I had serious reservations about the management.

No confidence in management

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Getting a job at United Health Group is a long process, but it can be done, so if you're interested in working here, don't give up.

I applied online to a ton of open positions - they have dozens of open project management positions at any given time. For one of these positions, I received an email from UHG recruiting inviting me to a digital interview (this email went to my spam folder in Gmail, so CHECK THE SPAM!!!). Upon receipt of the email, you have 48 hours to complete the interview.

The digital interview is awkward. I'm lucky enough in that I have a new desktop Mac with a webcam. This whole process would be tough to do on a tablet or smartphone.

I thought I royally screwed the digital interview up, as I stumbled on my answers and didn't think I was articulate enough. It's very awkward talking to yourself. Keep in mind though, most of the other candidates also think it's awkward, so if you blunder through some of the questions, don't fret too much. And SMILE!

The questions are pretty easy -- very basic interview questions ("Tell me why you want to work here" "describe one of the projects you managed") and there's only 5 of them but again, it's awkward! Make sure you dress up (I work my suit) and be mindful of any background clutter.

Apparently they liked me enough to proceed to the next round. The next round consisted of two phone interviews -- one with HR and one with the hiring manager. My hiring manager was located across the country, so there would be no in-person with her. The hiring manager didn't ask me any silly interview questions - it was just a conversation about my skills. Again, I thought I bombed it, but I must've done well, as about a week and a half later, I was invited for an in-person interview with two team members.

The in-person was a breeze. It didn't seem like an interview. I just had a conversation with two team members on-site, about what I'd be working on when I initially start the role. I knew I had the job when I left, as one of the team members said he would start the process with HR that afternoon.

The next day, I had an offer from the UHG recruiter by phone. They make an offer, and THEN they do the paperwork after you accept -- it's background check by an outside firm and a drug test (pee in a cup).

All in all, this whole process took about 2.5-3 months, from initial online app to my start date. It's a long process, but it's a huge company and if you want to work here, keep applying.

Health Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

Had an employee referral and then applied online. Was sent an email to complete a digital interview. Felt that it went well, easy questions and I was comfortable doing it. Next got an email to do a phone interview with a recruiter. Set up appointment for the next day. Call went well (or so I thought), recruiter said they would send my information on to the hiring manager and that they would call me that afternoon or the next day. Never heard from anyone again. Called the recruiter to follow up and no return call. Found out I was rejected by logging into my online profile.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you had to make a decision without a lot of information.   Answer Question

Resolving Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

1 hour phone interview very detailed questions about time frame you worked at previous companies and asking your weakness and strengths , second interview is in person for about 30 minutes, typical questions any employer would ask. They give you great detail about the company, the second interview was strictly about your job function to see if you are relatable enough to hired for the job. I would suggest highly to practice for your phone interview, because when they say it will be an hour, that is exactly how long it would be. Show them what you have to offer the company

Interview Questions

• About your previous experiences at past jobs, why do you want to work for the company? etc   Answer Question

Associate Director - Business Analysis Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Eden Prairie, MN (US)).

Interview

Everything was email - There was a link to give an interview through video. There are pre-interview questions to record yourself prior to taking the actual timed interview. Be sure to do those a couple of times so that you can review yourself on screen. I completed the interview and never heard from anyone. Ever.

Interview Questions

• How would you ensure that a new analyst included everything needed in their requirement document?   Answer Question

Call Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elkridge, MD (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Elkridge, MD (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was very casual, I applied for the Elkridge location. I was interviewed by two women who were very friendly and made me feel comfortable. The interview took about 35 minutes. After the interview I was told I would be called the following week with the next step in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Example of when you had to persuade someone to do something.   Answer Question

Customer Service Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Greensboro, NC (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online then received the invitation to complete the assessment online within 48 hours. After completing the assessment I received a phone call about 2 days later asking when I would be available for a phone interview. This phone call asked if I was still interested and would have time for an 1 hour interview. I scheduled it for that Friday. The interviewer called about 10-15 minutes after the time we scheduled which made me nervous. Once on the call the interviewer asked about work history and behavioral questions. Once I was done she said she would be moving me along the process. After completing this I received an email from the recruiter about 4 days later asking when i would be available for an on-site interview with the hiring manager. This was scheduled for the next week. Once meeting with the hiring manger for about 45 minutes with the normal questions about work history, why I want to work for UHG, why i was the best candidate, and behavioral questions. After waiting about 4 days I received a phone call saying congratulations I was being offered the position. She made me feel very comfortable. Although it was an interview it felt like a conversation. Even sitting with the security while waiting I felt comfortable which took a lot of nerves away making it easier to talk.

If you go onto the UnitedHealth Group website they provide a lot of tools to help guide you through the hiring process. There are videos in which you can watch to help with the specific job in which you want to give you an idea of what you applied for. There is also an opportunity to talk with recruiters via chat.

Senior Portal Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (New Brunswick, NJ (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

First had a computer interview where questions were asked and you have 3 minutes to answer. There is no one else on line. It is reviewed by the hiring manager. I then had an on-line interview with a manager and a tech person. Who asked me questions about Spring and Hibernate and Service development

Interview Questions

• What are the fetching strategies in hibernate.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Las Vegas, NV (US)).

Interview

Got called in a week, asked a couple ?s about the job, title, and pay and if you accept then they call you for a phone interview. Mines was set up the very next day, early. I had a person who couldn't speak English well, very hard to understand and I thought great, here goes my chances. First they go over your resume, tell them different circumstances about your jobs, any metrics and if so what was told about it, then about 5-6 behavioral questions "tell me a time" explaining in STAR format. Of course, the person I had didn't understand or keep up with whAt I was explaining. She kept pausing me and telling me to go back. Again, it was still hard to understAnd her. I knew I wasn't going to get it.

Interview Questions

• If I understood her English:

Tell me a time you had a project or product that your team didn't agree to?

Tell me a time when you made a mistake and had to apologize for it?

Tell me a time when a customer called and it was difficult?

Answer Question

Behavioral Care Advocate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

Interview process was very corporate. They were friendly, very PC. Asked me to provide scenarios in which I performed under stress, handled conflict, dealt with a difficult client, over came adversity, etc.