Union Pacific Interview Questions

Updated 17 Apr, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Pay by your pocket for the first phase of Interview, HR round only, one 2 one interview, your status will automatically updated after 2 weeks for next phase of Interview.

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific (Phoenix, AZ (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Drove to Portland, OR for first round interview after passing a screening test. This interview went very well. After a few weeks I was flown to Phoenix for a second round interview with a panel of 3. This interview was bad from the start. The lead interviewer was aloof, and to be blunt, kind of rude. He made a comment like, "Why would you want this job, it pays half of what you previously made." For me, I wanted the job because as a military retiree I liked the work and fit was more important than the money. He kept asking me for specific examples over and over on how I made process improvements. He came across as a real jerk. I knew after it was over I probably wasn't selected, and end the end I wasn't. The other two panel members were very professional.

I had really good hopes for this company. highly disappointed.

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Union Pacific (Phoenix, AZ (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Overall it was a good interview process. The initial interview was conducted with an HR professional and then the second round was at another site with a panel. All of the applicants were sequestered in a holding area until interviewed. Once in the interview I spoke with a panel consisting of two individuals. One was a senior manager, one was an HR professional. Both were very pleasant. The questions weren't overly hard, typical interview stuff. I asked a few questions about work at Union Pacific, even though I knew all of the answers. I decided to then ask questions about their own personal careers. It was a good interview at least from my perspective.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict with a subordinate. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Why should we pick you to work for Union Pacific?   Answer Question

Locomotive Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific (Champaign, IL (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Talked to them at career fair, and got invited to the first round of interviews about 2 weeks later. The interview was in person, and they asked behavioral type questions. The interviewer was very helpful. She told me exactly what i would be doing, and even gave me advice on how to deal with moving around during the training program.

Interview Questions

• Name one time that a groupmate/coworker did not cooperate and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Interview

Scheduled interview really quickly. First interview was behavior, afterwards they mentioned a test and another series of interviews. Never got a call back for their next step of the interview process.

Train Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific (San Antonio, TX (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

On campus interview then I apply at their website, then I was asked to take a test. After passed the test, I was scheduled a phone interview. The questions of interview is pretty easy, they focused on safety a lot more than I was expected. Overall, it was a good experience with Union Pacific.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever work at night shift?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Went to the UP booth at a college career fair, and one of the booth members scheduled me for a next-day on-campus interview after looking at my resume. The interview was totally behavioral. They were all standard behavioral questions: why do you want to work at UP, most successful/difficult team experience, etc. I do not think I did well, only ok, but at the same time I did not want the internship that bad (I had better (for me) ones in mind).

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

The whole process is easy and the interview is pretty basic. The best thing I can tell you if you apply for this company that they don't tell you is if you have a felony it has to be seven plus years since the day you were sentenced! I was an alternate for three months and finally got the job offer and my felony was 15 days away from becoming seven years old but there isn't even a review its an unconditional NO. Understand the company can do what they want but messed up they are not up front with the blanket ban for seven years. Would be good info on the site so I would have waited to apply and not wasted a 8 hour drive.

Interview Questions

• Is there an accident that is unavoidable   1 Answer

Negotiation

NONE

IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Everything was very straight forward. They were at my college career fair, and they asked me to come for an on campus interview the next day. The interview was all behavioral and there were no technical questions. The people were very nice. A week later they contacted me to tell me to apply online. A few weeks after that I got my offer letter.

Train Crew Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rawlins, WY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific (Rawlins, WY (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Completed online test.

3 days later invited to a hiring session. Could choose following week, or three weeks later.

Attended hiring session. You're told dress is business casual. I was surprised at how many people wore cruddy, dirty, non-business clothes. UP says to wear business casual, so I recommend you do so. Wikipedia states business casual (in part): "Includes khaki pants, slacks, and skirts, as well as short-sleeved polo shirts and long-sleeved shirts, but excludes, tennis shoes, tight or short skirts, t-shirts, and sweatshirts" I'm sure everybody has heard, "you never get a chance at another first impression." It's true.

Along the same lines, remember that the person conducting the hiring session works for HR, and will be doing the interview. So don't say or do anything you wouldn't do in the hiring session you wouldn't do in an interview.

In my session, the HR person made a very good point. If you move on, you'll be drug tested. It's a DOT test, so if you fail, DOT will keep that in their database and you'll never work in a transportation job. So get clean before applying/moving on. As a side note, if you take prescription medication that will show up on your drug test, (I do), don't worry. The lab will call you when the results are in. As long as you can supply documents from the pharmacy indicating you were prescribed the meds (prescribed BEFORE the drug test), you'll be fine (I was).

The hiring session lasts all day, so be prepared to wait. I'd bring along a snack/lunch (which is leave in the car until you are dismissed from the session to wait for your interview), and something to drink.

Interview only lasted about 10 minutes. As addressed many times in these posts: Focus on safety. When you answer a question about safety, provide an example of something you did safely that could have gone the other way. They are correct to say you don't need experience. I've never worked around heavy machinery, and that was a question. I said so; ADDING something to the effect that I knew how dangerous it could be, and I understood how important SAFETY is when working around heavy machinery. They asked what the most time I've been away from my family for, if I had worked shift work, what I thought the expectations of the job were (they give you the answer in the hiring session), and a time when I had a conflict with a supervisor.

Having been on the other side if the table conducting interviews, my advice would be to always add something to an answer - don't just say yes/no. For example, if you've never worked shift work, don't just answer "no." Say something (ONLY IF TRUE - DONT LIE OR EXAGGERATE) like, "No, but I understand the commitment. My family supports me and understands what shift work entails, and I've looked up the importance of sleep hygiene, proper eating, and exercise when working shift work. I'm confident shift work won't be a barrier."

Frankly, the interview was so fast and easy, I was surprised I received an offer. I didn't see how they could compare all the applicants. But they did.

Although not part of the interview, I'd like to add something that I worried about in hopes it sets some people at ease I'm older, and my body has been through a lot (TEN orthopedic surgeries on my knees, shoulder, elbow and wrist. I played hard when I was younger!). As long as you can do the job, and you can pass the physical agility, you'll be fine. I was also very worried because I take meds for depression and ADHD. Many, many people are. Just be 100% honest. I thought I'd be disqualified because of it. It raised a big red flag during the medical review. But they asked for my medical records. I had them sent, and it wasn't a problem. I don't know what they look for, but I'd guess they want to know if you're stabilized on meds (I am), or if you're suicidal and will jump in front of a train the first chance you get (I'm not). I can say that I'm proof It's true they just want somebody who is qualified and can physically do the job safely. They didn't discriminate, or toss me aside for a younger, healthier person. Of course, if you're young and healthy - you're in easily!

Interview Questions

• Describe a conflict you've had with a supervisor/coworker, and what you did to resolve it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Pay is set by union contract.