Unilever Interview Questions

Updated 20 Oct, 2014
Updated 20 Oct, 2014

3.1

Management Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Unilever.

The procedure started with an online application where it was necessary to submit the CV. As I was selected, I participated from the second phase, in this phase I had to fill in a questionnaire and wait for instructions for an online test. I received the link for the online test one week after. Within this test you were presented with study cases from four areas 1)Brand Building 2)Finances 3)Supply chain 4)HR. Within each area three scenarios were given and I had to answer a questionnaire (open and multiple choice questions) after every scenario.
    After the online test where 500 people participated, only 50 were asked to participate of a workshop, I was in that group. The workshop consisted in two groups of 25 people divided by time –one group in the morning and one group in the afternoon. Previous to the workshop each participant received a study case randomly –I got a supply chain study case- It is important to notice that the study cases were not difficult at all, however you had to have basic notions of any of the areas. Once in the workshop, the people who got the same study case were meant to be a group and discuss the case, get a conclusion and present it. During the discussions HR people were waling the room analyzing how the individual’s behavior within teamwork. I realized what the exercise was really about – proactive and social behavior in conflictive situations. I am a people’s person and decided to stabilize the conflict, divide the tasks and get the team ready to present the case. We did it in time and with good quality.
    After the workshop only 10 people was going to be called for an interview, I was one them. During the interview they asked me about my university courses, my internship experiences, my grades and my future plans.
    After the Interview 3 people would be selected to travel to the HQ to have an Interview with the cluster’s board and even with the CEO. I was not one of them.

Interview Questions
    • Please let us know what was the most challenging communication issue (with a colleague) during your previous work experiences, and How did you solve it?   View Answer
    After, they called me and offer me a job in HR, with a very competitive salary for my condition (I was going for a traineeship before) so I accepted.

Merchandising Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Unilever in August 2014.

Although the vast majority of questions at a Unilever interview are general competency questions that could apply to any or all of the graduate programme streams, there may also be some more role-specific questions such as:

Which brand's marketing strategy do particularly you like and why?
    What do you know about this business area (eg financial management)?
    What would you do if a major Unilever customer was out of a product?
    As no specific degree is required for programmes other than research and development, you’re unlikely to be expected to have in-depth technical knowledge; instead, questions of this kind are more focused on finding out how you think through problems.

Interview Questions
    • Approach to take: This is a very important question, as Unilever’s graduate development programme is designed to train future leaders. The interviewer will be trying to determine firstly what you think makes a good manager, and secondly whether you fit the bill. If you have any prior management experience, this is a good time to highlight your achievements, but even if you don’t it’s an ideal opportunity to explain what you consider your best qualities in a more general way. How does your excellent attention to detail impact your ability to manage people? Do you have strong diplomacy skills that have helped you deal with a leadership position in the past? Think about occasions where you have taken the lead, whether on an academic project, in a university society, or even among your friends or family. Remember to include details like how you went about delegating tasks, and how you dealt with any conflict between your teammates.   Answer Question

Global Assistant Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Unilever in August 2014.

There were 3 steps to the process - one phone interview with the HR, one interview with the hiring manager, and one interview with the director. In addition to that, you may be asked to do up a proposal for them if you lack in a certain skill.

The HR will email you first to arrange a phone interview. Please be in a quiet location for that.

Please do not be late for any physical interviews. It is a good idea to be prepared with any presentations that showcase your relevant skills, whether in a portfolio or displayed digitally. Having contacts inside Unilever helps a lot as well as they can give you more advice.

Everything is done professionally in a relaxed environment, with the HR being very prompt in follow-ups.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a time where you anticipated a customer's needs and carried it out.   View Answer
    • Where do you see yourself at the end of your career?   View Answer

Training Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Unilever.

I applied online and process took three days for telephone interview
    HR phone call ( to check interests in this position only and available dates for technical phone interview)
    Hiring manager phone call ( to know about background)
    On site interview : Presentation( based on my previous project works) and one to one interview

Assistant CMI Manager Interview

2 rounds of interviews, feels quite informal. they are looking for people who are passionate, curious and forward thinking. the hiring process was slightly longer as it requires two or three layers of approval.

Interview Questions
    • Many were standard interviewing questions, nothing too out of the blue   View Answer

Graduate Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Unilever.

I had applied online where i submitted my CV, as well as answered some personality questions, If accepted get through to the next stages which included numerical tests which are pretty difficult due to the time restraints 18mins for 18 questions.

Supply Chain Interview

The whole process was all about competency questions. Phone interview was with someone from the HR department and it felt very artificial. I didn't enjoy it at all. The interviewer was typing my answer up as I was speaking which was very annoying and created long gaps in-between questions. They did not seem to have the knowledge of the position I applied for.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the time when you had to persuade your team to follow your idea.   Answer Question

Unilever Future Leaders Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Unilever.

First to complete online application. This was followed by an hour telephone conversation. Questions were all competency based putting the candidate in different situations though out. The usual sort of questions, no curve balls. got the opportunity to ask questions at the end but the lady on the end of the phone wasn't able to answer it, and didn't know much to be honest because she was just in recruitment. I failed, but if i was to do this again, i would try and have got more key words in my speech to keep her hungry for more.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions, the usual competency based question stuff   Answer Question

Manufacturing Analyst Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Unilever.

One on campus interview with two interviewers. Interview was behavioral and lasted about 30 minutes. I was contacted after the interview with an offer letter containing the internship location and salary.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with conflict on your team.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Human Resources Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Unilever.

2 rounds of interviews