Ultimate Software

31 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Quality Assurance Analyst

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software in December 2013.

Interview Details Got a call 2 days after submitting resume online. Standard HR screening.

Afterwards, interviewed over the phone with the senior tester. Was asked about test methologies, software development process, and other basic QA knowledged.

Then in-person interview was scheduled. Had a chat with senior developer and a tester, and they asked technical but not too difficult questions like basic SQL knowledge, how to test system that is distributed over different timezones, examples of Java polymorphism, and so on. I was supposed to see the director at the same day, but because he was in a meeting, I was asked to come in another day. I was mildly annoyed because of their lack of planning. If they knew I was coming in, and need to speak with the director, why is he in a meeting?

I went in a few days after again to speak with the director. He asked me about more of team interaction questions, asked to cite examples of various software QA situations and so on.
Next day, I got a phone call from HR saying that everyone liked me but there is just one more step to complete. Apparently I need to talk to another QA director of a different department over the phone. This was the first time I heard about this, and I thought I was done with my last step, so I was confused but I decided to follow through.

Another HR person called me and asked for references, and salary expectations. These things normally don't happen unless the offer is certain, so I was confused. HR assured me that everything will be fine.

So this QA director called me, and he was pretty rude and fast-talking. At one point he accused me of lying on my resume, and when I pointed out the facts, he quickly moved onto another topic. Next day, HR called me, and said it went well, but apparently there is one more thing that they needed to do. Now they blatantly started changing their words, because the previous meeting should be their last one. The same manager wanted to do a 'QA Test' over the screen share. I was quite annoyed at this point, but I obliged because I didn't have much to lose.

During this 'QA Test' he should some badly designed website and asked me to explain my QA approach. I pointed out a few things, then the time ran out.

Afterwards, HR was silent for 3 business days. I sent them an email after 3 days, asking for feedback. Then the rep called me back right away, and said I was not selected for the offer. She said she wanted to tell it over the phone, not by email, because she thought it'd be the right thing to do. But no word on why they had to wait 3 days in silence, and why letting me know sooner is not better than telling me that i didn't make it only after I asked for the feedback. They checked my references too, and told me refs checked out well. My references were quite stunned that I was rejected, because no decent company would check refs before considering me an offer.

At best, they are wildly disorganized. At worst, they are shady. I was tad skeptical when their biggest claim to attract talent was "we never laid off people in 20 years"

Interview Question – what is polymorphism?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Ultimate Software.

Interview Details Recruiter interview
Phone interview
Face to face interview

Interview Question – Mostly Behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got more than I asked so accepted without negotiation

Customer Success Professional Interview

Customer Success Professional
Marietta, GA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software.

Interview Details I was contacted by the Talent Acquisition/Recruiter for a vetting interview. During that interview he told me my experience and credentials were pretty much perfect and better than the caliber of resume's he generally sees for this job. In fact, he said I'd be a perfect fit. I received a call to set up an interview with 3 managers.

That interview was awkward and strange. It was clear from the type of questions they asked they had no scope of understanding of my experience. It was clear I was grossly overqualified for the job, however that was not a concern of mine.

Even though I was overqualified, the response back to me was I was not adequately qualified. When I asked for more feedback or if there was some training I could do to become more qualified, I was told this group would never hire me and if any further jobs came up with that specific group, I would not be considered.

I really believe they are a great company and one I would love to work for, however, this experience was not good.

Interview Question – What do you like least about working in an office environment.   View Answer

Integration Consultant - Temp Interview

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ultimate Software in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied online on Jan 4th, received an email from the hiring manager on the 9th to setup an interview, we scheduled an interview for the 15th. It was more of a casual meeting than an interview, which I enjoyed very much.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Was considering another offer at the time. Honestly, I regret declining. It's a great company

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Ultimate Software in November 2013.

Interview Details I was asked to participate in a phone screen with one of the HR reps. She asked me mostly about my resume and kept asking what I learned from each experience. Her questions were not exactly clear.

She then described the position and the positive aspects of the company as well as the fact that they almost exclusively hire from MIT and other top tier schools.

Interview Question – Questions about resume   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software.

Interview Details Met at a career fair, was given a remote interview about general OOP. Later flew to HQ, had several more interviews in one day, some of which were informally technical.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter at Ultimate after submitting a resume online. After a phone conversation with one recruiter I was told that I would be receiving a phone interview from an HR manager to discuss the position in detail and that was set up for about a week later.

When my interview appointment arrived, I received my call right on time, the interview went very well and we discussed the position at length. I filled in some details about my experience and received positive feedback from the HR Manager. I was then asked to complete a power point presentation and write a paper detailing 3-5 times in my career when I showed initiative that had to be completed in under 2 hours.

I locked myself away and completed the assignment on time except that he had an issue opening the file so I had to resend. Two weeks later after sending an email asking for an update, I received a very short emailing saying that I was not moving on. No feedback on the work I completed. I sent a very polite email saying that I was disappointed I wasn't moving on and asked for feedback on my work and if this meant I could not apply for another position.

I understand that not getting feedback is fairly standard (I have received only a few responses to that question in dozens of interviews during my career) but to have put in all that work and not know why I was rejected is frustrating. Was it the work itself? It is a bit strange to ask someone to do that kind of work in such a short amount of time and expect to see your best work. It was unexpected, the deadline was unrealistic and unreasonable, and dependent on many factors other than my abilities to perform the responsibilities of the position. I realize it may have been some psychological testing thing but I have no idea what it could be about.

Interview Question – There were no especially difficult questions, but I was asked to write a paper about 3-5 times in my career I showed initiative and create a power point presentation in two hours or less. The reasoning was not clear and it seemed to be the reason I was not moving forward in the process although I was not given any feedback.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Weston, FL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ultimate Software in November 2012.

Interview Details easy question to solve onsite interview

Interview Question – nothing really hard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negation

Tax Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Ultimate Software.

Interview Details One over the phone interview, and one face to face interview with 2 separate people. Process took a total of 6-8 weeks before offer.

Interview Question – Why do u think u have not found work yet?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiates a little

Business Process Analyst I Interview

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software in February 2012.

Interview Details The hiring process is lengthy. I interviewed 4 times including with the Director/Sr VP and it took over a month.

Interview Question – They asked a lot of situational questions, all pretty standard. What would you do to get information from someone? How do you handle conflict?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Get as much as you can up front, because raises are not guaranteed. Also no bonuses.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ultimate Software

Worked for Ultimate Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ultimate Software interview questions and advice. All 31 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Ultimate Software employees and interview candidates.