Ultimate Software

37 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Quality Assurance Analyst

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software in December 2013.

Interview Details Got a call 2 days after submitting resume online. Standard HR screening.

Afterwards, interviewed over the phone with the senior tester. Was asked about test methologies, software development process, and other basic QA knowledged.

Then in-person interview was scheduled. Had a chat with senior developer and a tester, and they asked technical but not too difficult questions like basic SQL knowledge, how to test system that is distributed over different timezones, examples of Java polymorphism, and so on. I was supposed to see the director at the same day, but because he was in a meeting, I was asked to come in another day. I was mildly annoyed because of their lack of planning. If they knew I was coming in, and need to speak with the director, why is he in a meeting?

I went in a few days after again to speak with the director. He asked me about more of team interaction questions, asked to cite examples of various software QA situations and so on.
Next day, I got a phone call from HR saying that everyone liked me but there is just one more step to complete. Apparently I need to talk to another QA director of a different department over the phone. This was the first time I heard about this, and I thought I was done with my last step, so I was confused but I decided to follow through.

Another HR person called me and asked for references, and salary expectations. These things normally don't happen unless the offer is certain, so I was confused. HR assured me that everything will be fine.

So this QA director called me, and he was pretty rude and fast-talking. At one point he accused me of lying on my resume, and when I pointed out the facts, he quickly moved onto another topic. Next day, HR called me, and said it went well, but apparently there is one more thing that they needed to do. Now they blatantly started changing their words, because the previous meeting should be their last one. The same manager wanted to do a 'QA Test' over the screen share. I was quite annoyed at this point, but I obliged because I didn't have much to lose.

During this 'QA Test' he should some badly designed website and asked me to explain my QA approach. I pointed out a few things, then the time ran out.

Afterwards, HR was silent for 3 business days. I sent them an email after 3 days, asking for feedback. Then the rep called me back right away, and said I was not selected for the offer. She said she wanted to tell it over the phone, not by email, because she thought it'd be the right thing to do. But no word on why they had to wait 3 days in silence, and why letting me know sooner is not better than telling me that i didn't make it only after I asked for the feedback. They checked my references too, and told me refs checked out well. My references were quite stunned that I was rejected, because no decent company would check refs before considering me an offer.

At best, they are wildly disorganized. At worst, they are shady. I was tad skeptical when their biggest claim to attract talent was "we never laid off people in 20 years"

Interview Question – what is polymorphism?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software in October 2012.

Interview Details Applied through online - Overall a great experience, the hiring manager was planning to hire someone quickly. The whole process took couple of weeks and then I got the offer letter. More than your skills and knowledge this company mainly look for a cultural fit.

Interview Question – Most of them were behavioral question, I would not call any of it as difficult. Any mistake you have done in the past, how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, accepted as they met my expectation

Technical Consultant Interview

Technical Consultant
Santa Ana, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Ultimate Software in May 2011.

Interview Details 4 separate interviews by 4 different members of Ultimate Software. First interview was for a position in which I was applying for. This hiring manager felt I was more suited for another position, and recommended me for a different job than what I was applying for. (Thank goodness for this level of insight, I love the job I was recommended for)

Interview Question – Not applicable. I knew my capabilities well enough, that none of the questions were difficult.   Answer Question

Business Analyst III Interview

Business Analyst III

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software in May 2014.

Interview Details The process was simple, but time consuming. First was an interview with a technical recruiter. That went well and I was asked to take an exam. It was timed and I was given 90 minutes. It took about a week and a half for them to contact me and say that they would like to continue the process. It then took another week and a half to get the next interview set up. Finally, a week later I got the rejection.

Interview Question – If I was to call your boss, what would they say was your biggest flaw. Then at your current job, what has been your biggest failure.   View Answer

Systems Consultant Interview

Systems Consultant

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software in May 2014.

Interview Details 1. Phone screen with recruiter discussing the travel and the company benefits.
2. Phone Interview with Consulting Manager (East).
3. Phone Interview with Consulting Manager (Midwest).
4. Phone Interview with Director of Consulting.
5. In-person interview company paid for flight to meet co-work in Newark, NJ.
6. Offered position the following day from the in-person interview.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral questions (Tell me about yourself, greatest strength, weakness, etc.)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I initially accepted after reviewing the offer and the benefits, but then declined because I received a better total compensation and benefits package.

Customer Success Professional Interview

Customer Success Professional

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software in April 2014.

Interview Details The hiring process was great! I worked with 2 different recruiters regarding 2 different positions. They were both enthusiastic and energetic regarding getting me on-board with Ultimate Software. The recruiter did a preliminary interview, followed by a telephone interview, and a physical interview. I interviewed in the morning, by that afternoon an offer was made. Overall it was a great experience and I feel I made a great choice by joining the company.

Interview Question – I think the most unexpected question was "What do you feel like your greatest contribution in life thus far". It gave me a chance to really think.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told the recruiter what I was looking for in terms of salary requirements, and they exceeded my expectation.

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ultimate Software in May 2013.

Interview Details Very quick hiring process; recruiter called on a Friday and scheduled a phone interview for Monday. Phone interview was behavioral (what does integrity mean to you, questions like that) and was asked to rate my skills in Microsoft Office suite (beginner, intermediate, advanced). The recruiter scheduled an in-person interview for the upcoming Friday at noon and I was offered the position at 3pm

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Ultimate Software.

Interview Details Recruiter interview
Phone interview
Face to face interview

Interview Question – Mostly Behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got more than I asked so accepted without negotiation

Customer Success Professional Interview

Customer Success Professional
Marietta, GA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software.

Interview Details I was contacted by the Talent Acquisition/Recruiter for a vetting interview. During that interview he told me my experience and credentials were pretty much perfect and better than the caliber of resume's he generally sees for this job. In fact, he said I'd be a perfect fit. I received a call to set up an interview with 3 managers.

That interview was awkward and strange. It was clear from the type of questions they asked they had no scope of understanding of my experience. It was clear I was grossly overqualified for the job, however that was not a concern of mine.

Even though I was overqualified, the response back to me was I was not adequately qualified. When I asked for more feedback or if there was some training I could do to become more qualified, I was told this group would never hire me and if any further jobs came up with that specific group, I would not be considered.

I really believe they are a great company and one I would love to work for, however, this experience was not good.

Interview Question – What do you like least about working in an office environment.   View Answer

Integration Consultant - Temp Interview

Integration Consultant - Temp
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ultimate Software in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied online on Jan 4th, received an email from the hiring manager on the 9th to setup an interview, we scheduled an interview for the 15th. It was more of a casual meeting than an interview, which I enjoyed very much.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Was considering another offer at the time. Honestly, I regret declining. It's a great company

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ultimate Software

Worked for Ultimate Software? Contribute to the Community!