Ultimate Software Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr, 2015

2.6

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Ultimate Software in December 2013.

Interview

Got a call 2 days after submitting resume online. Standard HR screening.

Afterwards, interviewed over the phone with the senior tester. Was asked about test methologies, software development process, and other basic QA knowledged.

Then in-person interview was scheduled. Had a chat with senior developer and a tester, and they asked technical but not too difficult questions like basic SQL knowledge, how to test system that is distributed over different timezones, examples of Java polymorphism, and so on. I was supposed to see the director at the same day, but because he was in a meeting, I was asked to come in another day. I was mildly annoyed because of their lack of planning. If they knew I was coming in, and need to speak with the director, why is he in a meeting?

I went in a few days after again to speak with the director. He asked me about more of team interaction questions, asked to cite examples of various software QA situations and so on.
    Next day, I got a phone call from HR saying that everyone liked me but there is just one more step to complete. Apparently I need to talk to another QA director of a different department over the phone. This was the first time I heard about this, and I thought I was done with my last step, so I was confused but I decided to follow through.

Another HR person called me and asked for references, and salary expectations. These things normally don't happen unless the offer is certain, so I was confused. HR assured me that everything will be fine.

So this QA director called me, and he was pretty rude and fast-talking. At one point he accused me of lying on my resume, and when I pointed out the facts, he quickly moved onto another topic. Next day, HR called me, and said it went well, but apparently there is one more thing that they needed to do. Now they blatantly started changing their words, because the previous meeting should be their last one. The same manager wanted to do a 'QA Test' over the screen share. I was quite annoyed at this point, but I obliged because I didn't have much to lose.

During this 'QA Test' he should some badly designed website and asked me to explain my QA approach. I pointed out a few things, then the time ran out.

Afterwards, HR was silent for 3 business days. I sent them an email after 3 days, asking for feedback. Then the rep called me back right away, and said I was not selected for the offer. She said she wanted to tell it over the phone, not by email, because she thought it'd be the right thing to do. But no word on why they had to wait 3 days in silence, and why letting me know sooner is not better than telling me that i didn't make it only after I asked for the feedback. They checked my references too, and told me refs checked out well. My references were quite stunned that I was rejected, because no decent company would check refs before considering me an offer.

At best, they are wildly disorganized. At worst, they are shady. I was tad skeptical when their biggest claim to attract talent was "we never laid off people in 20 years"

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ultimate Software (Atlanta, GA (US)).

Interview

Interviewed at university with two managers from a team for an internship program. Waited about 4 weeks until I heard back from one of the managers that I was selected to be a part of the internship program.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Weston, FL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ultimate Software (Weston, FL (US)).

Interview

Began with a phone interview asking about my resume and general qualifications, then flown out for an on-site. On-site interview was a mixture of talking about myself, hearing about the company, and some coding challenges.

Interview Questions

• Pseudocode algorithm for recognizing palindromes within a set.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Weston, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ultimate Software (Weston, FL (US)).

Interview

- Background and experience screening with HR
    - 2 technical interviews by phone and online coding tests
    - On-site 5 round interview with several teams and various number of people. These varied from being very technical whiteboard type interviews, to more verbal and experience oriented interviews.

Interview Questions

• - A lot of object oriented programming questions.
      - A lot of full stack domain knowledge questions (REST, APIs, JSON, html, css, javascript, frameworks, etc)
      - Problem solving questions such as ordering algorithms and sorting algorithms, and time complexity questions.

Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Ultimate Software.

Interview

Met with them at my school's career fair. Went through two interviewers. First one asked more behavioral-type questions to get to know me and see if I knew enough to pass me onto the second interviewer. The second interviewer asked more about the experience on my resume and then general programming questions related to OOP.

Customer Success Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Weston, FL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ultimate Software (Weston, FL (US)).

Interview

3 Interviews:

Phone interview with recruiter.
    This one should be the easiest one. Usually all recruiters are very nice and they want you to be successful. But, it is mostly an interview where they will ask you about your past experience, why you left your others jobs, why you want to work in a customer service position, and most importantly, why Ultimate Software.

Panel interview with high up managers.
    From the moment you walk in, they are already screening you. How you introduce yourself, talk, walk, etc. They say that within the first 2 minutes, they'll know wether you're a good fit or not. So, make sure you bring your A game for the first 2 minutes!
    This one is similar to the first one, but they'll throw in some behavioral questions. "Tell me about a time where you had a tough situation with a client and how did you solve it?"
    If you do good on this one ( DON'T BE NERVOUS ) you will take a quick test.. You should be fine as long as you use common sense and bring your analytical skills into play.

Panel interview with future managers from teams.
    If you're here, you should be almost good to go. Previous managers think you're a good fit and want to run you through potential team managers. Don't be nervous for this one as you almost made it, but, it can and will break you if you think you've got the position already.
    Mostly behavioral as well, with questions about your previous positions. Be confident and enthusiastic. I mean, this is Ultimate Software, if you aren't happy you made it this far, then you should look elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Are you a competitive person?   1 Answer
    • If you could be one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Rising Star - Customer Success Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Ultimate Software (Atlanta, GA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process began with a phone screening interview with a Talent Acquisition Manager and progressed to an in-person interview, where I was also required to take a skills assessment (the second phase). I received a callback several hours later asking me to come in for the third stage, which I will be doing tomorrow.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company, Ultimate Software?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Ultimate Software.

Interview

Had a first phone interview 5 days ago and still waiting to hear back from them...my case is an employee referral from one of my Professors... they sent me an email to arrange phone interview and a week later I got the call , it was a 15 min interview, pretty simple....will update on process...

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ultimate Software in February 2015.

Interview

Screened by Recruiting Manager which led to phone interview with SDM, phone interview with Leadership, face to face meeting with SDM and PM before offer was extended. The timing was constrained which made the whole process take over a month - which was a lot of time wondering, but well worth the wait.

Interview Questions

• What makes you stand out from all the other candidates?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was made an offer and accepted I did not need to negotiate; US knows the market and makes informed decisions.

Business Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ultimate Software.

Interview

3 steps to the interview. Met with the direct manager then flew into Weston to meet with executive team. Met the CEO and sat in his office. Was offered job on the spot.

Negotiation

none