Ubisoft Interview Questions

Updated 15 Apr, 2015
Updated 15 Apr, 2015

Programmer Interview

Interview

After applying, I have been invited to the screening interview. Everyone was nice, it was a typical screening interview about my background, the project and my career goals. Afterwards, I have been given a technical test. The test was appropriate for the applied position.

The HR has been very nice and have been replying immediately. The process took several weeks.

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft (Pune (India)) in July 2014.

Interview

They got my profile from some recruiting website and the interview was straight forward with a technical round which lasted 1 hour and 30 min and then a test and a technical round after that.

Interview Questions

• About memory management-> everything related to this topic   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary is bit of a downside in Ubisoft India studio but you are building games ;)

Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Ubisoft in June 2014.

Interview

This is a write up for the San Francisco development team.

Standard process:
    Phone screen with HR - The HR contact, Shawn McGrady, was forthcoming with a significant amount of information about the process and what I could expect going forward. He was very helpful with information about staffing needs for the studio, current staffing, projects that were hiring for the position (without details about the actual project - keeping confidential info close to his sleeve until an NDA was signed), some details about the technology being used for the projects. He was forthright about how long the process would likely take - 6 months. (And was spot on in his estimate!) Asked standard questions: Relevant previous experience, why Ubisoft, why was I looking for a new position, strengths/weaknesses, etc.

Phone call with who would be direct supervisor - Standard questions about production experience. Conversation about exposure to both on and off site internal teams, communication style and channels, communication process, problem solving skills, experience with outsourcing and insourcing, how I evaluate for improving processes and come to a strategy, mentality about how to work with a team and leadership qualities, my thoughts on communication style for studios - open/semi-closed etc.

On site with who would be direct supervisor and studio head over lunch - There was a little more information about the project, not enough to know exactly what it was, but general things - genre, play style, production phase status and upcoming challenges. They were very open about studio culture information, discussion about what games they were currently playing, the good and bad about those games. It was clear that the studio is one full of people who enjoy games and who want to make great games. This seemed to mostly be about communication style, passion for games, and fit in the production group and project leadership.

Onsite with leads in the studio, most from the project I was being targeted for - 6 hours of mostly individual meetings with about 8 people. List of folks to chat with was HR Manager, Tech Lead for the studio, Studio Creative Director, Lead Designer, Associate Producer and Production Coordinator, Senior Producer and Studio EP. A lot of the questions were about what I thought I could help them with/how I could make an immediate impact, and in particular my communication style - open and frank. A few questions from folks about why Ubisoft and why SF in particular. And a LOT of talk about games. What I was playing at the time, what they were playing at the time and our thoughts on and experience with each. The full day interview included an off site lunch, and conversation over lunch was mostly about communication style and culture fit - not specifically about production and work but a general fit for the studio.

Interview Questions

• All questions were pretty standard. No real curve balls.   Answer Question

Artist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft in April 2014.

Interview

HR was friendly and professional
    The requirements sounded like a perfect match for my skillset, so I applied. They answered, but sent an art-test. Unfortunanenly, it required a skillset which was clearly not listed in the requirements. Thus, it was a bit difficult.

Anyways, not complaining. probably just a small communication issue - can happen with thousands of applicants and openings.

Interview Questions

• art test deviated strongly from the requirements of the job title.   Answer Question

Game Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft (Pune (India)) in April 2014.

Interview

Fast response. Had applied in their portal. Qualified the written design test but messed up in the telephonic round. Time for the written test was 24 hrs. Telephonic round was tricky. Hard to concentrate on who was asking the questions. Was interviewed by a panel on 3. One was a foreigner. Within 7 days I got a mail which said my profile is on hold.

Interview Questions

• how do you explain the developer the game mechanism of your game?   Answer Question

Junior Game Tester Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ubisoft.

Interview

A contact from the company passed my resume along to Lead and HR
    During the interview, there was a test + interview
    After the interview, it was about 1 month before I got more information from them regarding the hire
    General perception of the company was laid back but knew what they were looking for

Interview Questions

• Describe the most difficult bug you had ever encountered and how you tackled it   Answer Question

Negotiation

Make sure you are aware of how much the position would pay so as to avoid any nasty surprises or disappointments

Level Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ubisoft (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

Sent my resume and got a interview, followed by a test. After being shortlisted, went down for another interview.

Interview Questions

• What game have you played recently, which mechanic do you like and how would you change it.   Answer Question

Senior Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

phone with HR and HM, then onsite

Lead Quality Control Interview

Interview

The hiring and interview process went smoothly and professionally. It involved two interviews with both interviews involving a current Leads/Managers in QC as well as a Producer. Questions were typical for the role. General feel was reassuring and fun. Had good conversations.

Interview Questions

• None of them were difficult or unexpected for the role. If you have successful previous experience then there should be no issue with questions.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

There were about 3 to 4 rounds of interviews meeting with several people above and at the same level to your applied position.

Initially you communicate with a recruiter through email to coordinate a telephone interview. The phone interview starts with an extensive overview on how Ubisoft is structured then proceeds to your typical Q&A. Please make note the overview is a long-winded speech.

If invited back you meet with HR and everyone else . It's mostly conversational mixed with Q&A as opposed to situational or behavorial. The people seemed nice, easy to speak with, and has worked there for a very long time. Average 5+ years.

The crowd isn't diverse at all and it's a tight knitted group. You guys can do the math on this as some might approve but others might not.

It'll be interesting to see the stats on diversity: gender, ethnicity, openly LGBT, and also income disparity at this company. From my memory, there was only one person of color in the office.