Ubisoft

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

Interviewed at Ubisoft

Interview Details They ask the kinda of questions that we see in any best-seller interview books. They also use the kinda of techniques described in these books such as you said one thing and they noted it and waited half an hour to ask another question related to this detail just try to mix you and totally disturb the interview logical progression.

Interview Question – What do you like to do in your leisure time ? (Actually, I am not even sure that it is a legal question)   Answer Question

Generalist Programmer Interview

Generalist Programmer
Montreal, QC

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Ubisoft in May 2013.

Interview Details Phone interview of about 20 minutes with recruiter to know the reason why I applied, my expected salary range and when I would be available. I answered I'd give three weeks notice to my current employer.

Interview on site with recruiter, team lead and director. Technical and non-technical questions. Their intention was to know my personnality, my strengths and weaknesses, how I would fit in the team. They kindly answered my questions, really honest answers. Interview lasted about one hour. They said I'd get an technical interview online that I'd be able to answer from home, needed to plan for 100 minutes.

Got the technical questions, took about 120 minutes to complete at my own pace. Very broad range of subjects as it was intended for a generalist programmer.

A phone about one week after the technical questions to plan for a small phone interview. This interview was with recruiter, two team leads and the director and they wanted to know more about my long term goals, had questions about my personal career path up to that point.

Got a phone call 3-4 days after the last phone interview, saying they wanted to give me an offer but needed to verify some professional references before, which I gave them the next day.

The verification of references took about one week and I got an offer.

Interview Question – Questions about MMX specific Assembly code. I don't know much about Assembly other than my general course on computer architecture in University.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, the offer was fine for me.

Very Difficult Interview

No Job Title Interview

No Job Title
Quebec, QC

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Ubisoft.

Interview Details I was informed via e-mail that I would be getting a review by Ubisoft by their Graphics Technical Director, with out any knowledge of which position (I applied to a few to better my chances, but also have 4 different degrees). As soon as the review started I was told I was a number, while being internally referred by an Associate Technical Director and Motion Capture Director. I went through an incredibly strenuous five review process going through a battery of tests, while being informed that someone was going to help pull for me to reviewer. During this time my website was hacked into, and confronted the reviewer after looking at my website and half of my stuff wasn't working properly. I was pretty upset, the person reviewing my work never got back with me about it, and at the end didn't get this position that I don't even know to this day that I did not get, but also I find out months down the road from Human Resources that based on "Operations of Studios" that my referrals didn't go through while the Assistant Technical Director was pulling for me at a different studio location, same with the Motion Capture Director. I was talking with Coaches, Animators, Directors at the time to get to know the culture, understand what type of environment I would be in if I was given the opportunity, but based on the fact that I knew others in a different studio location, while being told I'm being internally referred and being pulled for, based on operations of studios and studio to studio operations it does not do anything. I still to this day, after a 5 week review, which I even followed up with the reviewer, never got back to me, but told me to keep applying. Outside of that fact, but issues with my website once it was over. I talked with an Animator of the company after I was done, also with the Motion Capture Director, also an Assistant Technical Director about it, and they told me to let it go, also to move on completely. Also to not worry about it. Even still to this day, like I said, I don't even know what position it was for.

BI -- Interview

BI --
Montreal, QC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ubisoft in May 2012.

Interview Details 2 interviews. 3 and 4 persons. 1 person from HR on 1st interview, people from the division, and one higer up in 2nd interview. No catch-question. I felt an honest desire to find out if there was a good match or not. Lot of technical technical questions on first interview. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. They were more casually dressed than me. Nobody dresses formally there, really (Montreal). Nothing to complain about.

Interview Question – Some random question from the HR girl. But the other ones seem to make the decision anyway.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Game Tester Interview

Game Tester
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ubisoft in February 2008.

Interview Details i applied online.There was a preliminary screening process

Interview Question – most interesting game?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – dont know why..

Network Programmer Interview

Network Programmer
Montreal, QC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Ubisoft in February 2011.

Interview Details Apply and did test for one position, but was hired for another.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Bad, staff didn't response for a long time. Didn't reply for emails and phone calls.

International Product Manager Interview

International Product Manager
Toronto, ON

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Ubisoft in April 2011.

Interview Details They asked a number of questions not directly related to my position, it showed they were not aware of what a product manager's role was:

Why did the last product you work on not sell 20 million copies?
How can we get our next product to sell 20 million copies?

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – they were behind in their hiring process and I didn't want to wait around unemployed for 6 months.

Very Easy Interview

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Montreal, QC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ubisoft in November 2008.

Interview Details Was contacted by HR person by email, then by phone, then went through a programming test and interview with the team. The test was quite easy but contained some unrelated material. Also had to fill out a "personality profile". Was interviewed by team lead and several programmers, no tough questions but really disliked the unsubstantiated "looking down upon" from the old-timer team members that was evident during the interview.

Interview Question – Describe/explain MFC32 and Assembler function names. Unrelated to the nature of the position I interviewed for.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got an offer for a junior position , but refused since have 5+ years professional experience.

Art Director Interview

Art Director
Montreal, QC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Ubisoft in April 2008.

Interview Details Reaseach the Company that your applying for and then do some more Research, be prepared!
Only show relivant work for the position that you are apply for if applying in a creative field.
Show your best work only, show less rather then more.

Interview Question – When can you start?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – This depends on one's experience.
Let them make the first offer! they may offer you more then what you where going to ask for. If it is not enough make a counter offer.

Developers Interview

Developers
Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Ubisoft in June 2012.

Interview Details Generraly between 2 to 3 interview, first on with HR, then one with HR + your futur manager, finally you can have one only with your futur boss if necessary. A lot of people apply to each job opening so most of the time taking the decision take time for your future manager and HR.

Interview Question – 3 most famous game out last year ? If you had to build a game engine, how would you architecture it ? If you had to build the server architecture for an mmorp, what technologie would you use ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR always tell you they can't negociate salary, truth is that you can at least a little bit (around 10%).

Worked for Ubisoft? Contribute to the Community!