Ubisoft

Updated 1 Nov, 2014
Updated 1 Nov, 2014

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft.

Took a long time: initial phone interview to filter out bogus candidates. Then a technical interview, then interview with immediate superior + HR drone. Process took about 4 weeks. It did not help that it was during summer, I understand that.

Interview Questions
    • Describe all processes involved during initial boot of a server   Answer Question
    I negociated my holydays more than my pay itself. I did get what I wanted but it took some talking; they were initialy not inclined to give me what I wanted until I walked out of the negociation; they then came back with an agreement on what I've asked.

Tools Audio Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ubisoft.

initial short call from HR to know expected salary, why interested, etc. Then 2 programming tests, one on audio programming and one on general c++ programming. I think I took too long on the general test, I took like 3hrs when it was limited to 2hrs... in any case my performance on that test wasn't good enough to get an interview

Interview Questions
    • audio programming was quite basic, e.g., what is an audio sequencer, what is pro tools. Not really any programming questions in that one. For the general tests, assembly questions (which I ignored), some c#, and some general math/3d questions, like how many vertices are required to be rendered when a game is streaming with a given refresh rate and the player is moving at a speed of X m/s yadayada (pretty sure I bombed that one lol).   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

They ask the kinda of questions that we see in any best-seller interview books. They also use the kinda of techniques described in these books such as you said one thing and they noted it and waited half an hour to ask another question related to this detail just try to mix you and totally disturb the interview logical progression.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like to do in your leisure time ? (Actually, I am not even sure that it is a legal question)   Answer Question

Generalist Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft in May 2013.

Phone interview of about 20 minutes with recruiter to know the reason why I applied, my expected salary range and when I would be available. I answered I'd give three weeks notice to my current employer.

Interview on site with recruiter, team lead and director. Technical and non-technical questions. Their intention was to know my personnality, my strengths and weaknesses, how I would fit in the team. They kindly answered my questions, really honest answers. Interview lasted about one hour. They said I'd get an technical interview online that I'd be able to answer from home, needed to plan for 100 minutes.

Got the technical questions, took about 120 minutes to complete at my own pace. Very broad range of subjects as it was intended for a generalist programmer.

A phone about one week after the technical questions to plan for a small phone interview. This interview was with recruiter, two team leads and the director and they wanted to know more about my long term goals, had questions about my personal career path up to that point.

Got a phone call 3-4 days after the last phone interview, saying they wanted to give me an offer but needed to verify some professional references before, which I gave them the next day.

The verification of references took about one week and I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about MMX specific Assembly code. I don't know much about Assembly other than my general course on computer architecture in University.   View Answer
    No negotiation, the offer was fine for me.

No Job Title Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quebec, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quebec, QC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft.

I was informed via e-mail that I would be getting a review by Ubisoft by their Graphics Technical Director, with out any knowledge of which position (I applied to a few to better my chances, but also have 4 different degrees). As soon as the review started I was told I was a number, while being internally referred by an Associate Technical Director and Motion Capture Director. I went through an incredibly strenuous five review process going through a battery of tests, while being informed that someone was going to help pull for me to reviewer. During this time my website was hacked into, and confronted the reviewer after looking at my website and half of my stuff wasn't working properly. I was pretty upset, the person reviewing my work never got back with me about it, and at the end didn't get this position that I don't even know to this day that I did not get, but also I find out months down the road from Human Resources that based on "Operations of Studios" that my referrals didn't go through while the Assistant Technical Director was pulling for me at a different studio location, same with the Motion Capture Director. I was talking with Coaches, Animators, Directors at the time to get to know the culture, understand what type of environment I would be in if I was given the opportunity, but based on the fact that I knew others in a different studio location, while being told I'm being internally referred and being pulled for, based on operations of studios and studio to studio operations it does not do anything. I still to this day, after a 5 week review, which I even followed up with the reviewer, never got back to me, but told me to keep applying. Outside of that fact, but issues with my website once it was over. I talked with an Animator of the company after I was done, also with the Motion Capture Director, also an Assistant Technical Director about it, and they told me to let it go, also to move on completely. Also to not worry about it. Even still to this day, like I said, I don't even know what position it was for.

BI -- Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft in May 2012.

2 interviews. 3 and 4 persons. 1 person from HR on 1st interview, people from the division, and one higer up in 2nd interview. No catch-question. I felt an honest desire to find out if there was a good match or not. Lot of technical technical questions on first interview. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. They were more casually dressed than me. Nobody dresses formally there, really (Montreal). Nothing to complain about.

Interview Questions
    • Some random question from the HR girl. But the other ones seem to make the decision anyway.   Answer Question

International Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ubisoft in April 2011.

They asked a number of questions not directly related to my position, it showed they were not aware of what a product manager's role was:

Why did the last product you work on not sell 20 million copies?
    How can we get our next product to sell 20 million copies?

Interview Questions

they were behind in their hiring process and I didn't want to wait around unemployed for 6 months.

Network Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ubisoft in February 2011.

Apply and did test for one position, but was hired for another.

Interview Questions
    • Somethings about ASM language, however, I said I don't know it at all!   Answer Question
    • What are advantages of XBox business architecture.   Answer Question
    Bad, staff didn't response for a long time. Didn't reply for emails and phone calls.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft in November 2008.

Was contacted by HR person by email, then by phone, then went through a programming test and interview with the team. The test was quite easy but contained some unrelated material. Also had to fill out a "personality profile". Was interviewed by team lead and several programmers, no tough questions but really disliked the unsubstantiated "looking down upon" from the old-timer team members that was evident during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe/explain MFC32 and Assembler function names. Unrelated to the nature of the position I interviewed for.   Answer Question

Got an offer for a junior position , but refused since have 5+ years professional experience.

Art Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Ubisoft in April 2008.

Reaseach the Company that your applying for and then do some more Research, be prepared!
    Only show relivant work for the position that you are apply for if applying in a creative field.
    Show your best work only, show less rather then more.

Interview Questions
    This depends on one's experience.
    Let them make the first offer! they may offer you more then what you where going to ask for. If it is not enough make a counter offer.