USAA Interview Questions

Updated 23 Oct, 2014

2.8

Auto Adjuster II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at USAA.

Initial application filled out. Called by HR. Arranged phone interview with HR. Three days later offered to interview with department managers. One week later offered the position. Took drug test and went thru background which took about 25 days to complete. Final offer verbally and in writing. Offer accepted.

Interview Questions
    • How did you deal with a complex claims issue with a long time customer.   View Answer
    No negotiation. They offer what they know your talent is worth.

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at USAA.

I applied for an open position with USAA, and successfully passed my phone interview, drug screening and background check. A week later I was scheduled for an in-person interview. The interview was conducted by one interviewer and another on speaker phone. My interviewer was unprofessional, crass and blatantly rude. She accused me of not being able to hold a job, which I have only had two jobs in the past 7 years, including my present employment. The interviewer repeatedly cut me off in mid sentence, and would not answer any of my questions with more than a "yes" or "no". I have never not passed an interview process, and I have extremely good work ethics and management experience. I also come from a military family, and we have been members of USAA for over thirty years. I'm seriously considering getting new service because of the despicable way I was treated. I feel like I dodged a bullet! If you treat prospective employees that way, I can't imagine how current employees feel.

Interview Questions
    • Demonstrate a time when you had to make a difficult sale.   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at USAA.

submit the resume online. You will have a reception dinner before the interview. and you get an interview on campus. and after the first round interview you will get the result about whether you got the opportunity of the onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe what you do on Excel and do you know how to programming?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at USAA in October 2014.

Met with them on the Career fair and had a behavior questions interview. Little math puzzle and some creative problem solving / problem solving approach.

After the 1st interview they contacted me a few weeks later offering me to go their campus in Plano, TX where they took us to Dinner and the next day more interviews and an more detailed overview of the company / benefits.

If you have any military connection be sure to mention it and bring it up. Most of the time they are asking for a fit for their culture and not a skillset.

Auto Adjuster Interview

Received a typing test, was called in for an interview about 1 week later. 2 people interviewed, was a fairly short process, maybe 20 minutes. Asked a few personality questions, then explained the position itself.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at USAA in October 2014.

Found out about opportunity through university career fairs (they do alot of work with university relations). They have 2 interviews and always have 3 specific questions - one problem solving, one logical, and one creative. The problem solving is something like given a set of clues, can you figure out the solution to the problem? The logical question is coming up with a design, key features, or capabilities that a certain new product would need (innovative thinking). The creative questions is similar and asks you to come up with a unique solution or design to solve a certain problem at hand. All are very easy-going and do not require intense programming skills. They don't ask you to write code or anything like that. The interview is behavioral based and measures your personality as a fit to their culture.

Interview Questions
    • The design and logical questions (described above) was what I thought was most challenging. They are looking for certain key words from your answer.   Answer Question

Bodily Injury Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA.

I was contacted by an HR personnel by email and she scheduled a phone interview which went well. The interview with the HR representative was very informative and she was professional and nice. She set me up to meet with 2 managers in the New Tampa, FL office. They were ok at first (not nice, not mean). One asked questions as the other one typed. Towards the end, I asked about how long it would take for me to know about their decision because I had received another offer a few minutes after I had the phone interview but although the other company is also a great company and I am happy to work for, I sincerely was hoping to work for USAA when comparing the benefits and the distance.

One of the managers became extremely rude and insinuated that I was lying. He asked:
    "Whose hiring now?" He then said that he's friends with managers at most major insurance companies and knew that no one was hiring. He then mentioned the name of an insurance company as a way to insult and to mock me and asked "Is that where you'll be working?" The other manager appeared to have felt bad and kind of tried to make the situation slightly better by adding that he understood why I would want to know how long the process would take.

I had a major headache when I got home. I could not believe what I had just experienced. Nevertheless, I thank that rude manager for helping me make the best decision. At the other company, everyone was courteous and respectful. If he treated me that way when I'm not even working for him, how would he treat me if i was an employee. That manager did not know that I had received over 15 calls for different interviews in the 4 months following my graduation and that other companies recognize talents just like them. In addition, I do have a wonderful job that I love and that I am not desperate.

I emailed the HR rep. and told her that I no longer wished to pursue the position. I know that USAA is a great company and that the CEO would not be thrilled to learn how unprofessional that man is.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked so many questions around claim handling and STAR like questions. Overall, they were typical interview questions.   Answer Question

SMS Representative III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at USAA.

I applied on line a few weeks before getting out of the military. I did the online assessments, phone interview, in person interview. I'm almost 100% sure the only reason I got the offer is because I am a combat Vet. Out of the 18 people they hired in my group, I was the only one without a college degree.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to sell them a phone. It was weird and uncomfortable having to give a sales pitch. If I didn't need the job I would have walked out right then and there.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at USAA.

The interview was very fast paced and after a quick "get to know you" segment, a duo of managers will ask you how you'd overcome objections and build value for someone whom doesn't quite want to buy a product from you. They'll even do a brief role play scenario where you'll have to sell them a cell phone (what I got personally, but I've heard of people having to sell pens). Basically they just want to see how you can perform on the spot and overcome the objections provided. It's all about understanding what they need and are looking for. Really plays well into the actual job too. USAA is very member-centric and while there are sales numbers you're expected to meet (but not fired if you don't), they'll never pressure you to push something unsuitable.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you've had to stand up to your manager or overseeing body?   Answer Question
    Did not have much room to negotiate due to my lack of financial background as compared to other applicants who had 5-10 years.

Auto Claims Adjuster III Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA.

The interview process is pretty smooth and straight forward. I am transitioning from the military to the civilian world and I have to say that I am pretty impressed with USAA. I had a telephone interview and the interviewer was very pleasant and easy going. It lasted about 40mins. Immediately after the interview I was invited to do an on-site location. The face to face interview was pleasant also. It lasted about an hour and a half and included a tour of the entire complex. Just waiting on the results now!