US Navy

394 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Midshipman Interview

Midshipman

I applied through another source and the process took 6 months - interviewed at US Navy.

Interview Details The process is pretty standardized. SAT and ACT scores are a big component of acceptance. In addition, you must be physically fit and pass a medical examination. I highly advise you apply for NROTC scholarships in the spring of your Jr. year in high school. In addition, I would recommend applying for the school of your choice in the spring also. Early birds get the worm.

Interview Question – Why do you want to join the military ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, pay scale and years of service determine pay.

Yeoman/E-5 Petty Officer Second Class (Submarines) Interview

Yeoman/E-5 Petty Officer Second Class (Submarines)
San Juan, PR (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Navy.

Interview Details A series of medical and physical examinations to see what you qualify for. The jobs listed are brief and a monetary amount was not indicated except for the fact that there is or isn't an incentive/bonus for that specific job.

Interview Question – Would you like to work on a submarine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not hard at all. You select from a list of jobs that you qualify for.

Electronics Technician Interview

Electronics Technician

Interviewed at US Navy

Interview Details I spoke with a recruiter and took a pre-placement exam to determine what jobs I was eligible for. I ended up in the AECF program and chose to be an Electronics Technician after boot camp.

Negotiation Details – N/A

E8 - Navy - Senior Chief Petty Officer Interview

E8 - Navy - Senior Chief Petty Officer
San Diego, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Navy in September 2010.

Interview Details First, you have to be atleast a high school graduate. Once you have attained your diploma, you will have to see a recruiter who will administer the ASVAB test to see which job you will most qualify for. If you are accepted you will have to attend bootcamp which is approximately 2 months long to get indoctrinated into the Navy way of life.

Interview Question – Be truthful when answering any questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was fairly easy. I just had to do my part and pass the school for the job I selected.

Security Forces Interview

Security Forces

Interviewed at US Navy

Interview Details Go to a recruiter, be a certain weight and able to perform physical exercise, take an asvab, meet with a rater at the MEPS office to find out what rate/job you qualify for try to hold out for one you want but really at the end of the day it will be what the Navy needs. Pick your rate then determine when you go to boot camp you can wait up to a year to go to boot camp just tell them if you need to take care of your family first. After this boot camp and your done it's a pass or fail from there.

Very Easy Interview

Information Systems Technician Interview

Information Systems Technician

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at US Navy.

Interview Details Ask the Recruiter near you. The requirements change with the demand of the US Navy and the availability for the particular rating you want. If you don't have easy access to a Recruiter near you, just go to www.navy.mil for assistance.

Interview Question – Medical history. You have to be fit for boot camp.   Answer Question

Seaman Recuit Interview

Seaman Recuit
Knoxville, TN (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 11 months - interviewed at US Navy.

Interview Details If you want to be an officer, go get decent grades at college, and apply at a recruiting officer for one of their programs. If you want to be 'enlisted', visit a recruiting office and take a short practice version of the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB).

What they are looking for is a lack of criminal activities, good health (fitness, eye sight, hearing, etc.), and decent potential to learn new information and skills. If you have any sort of ties to another country, they will want to know about these as well.

If you have taken prescription drugs for any ongoing condition, this will either bar you, or require a waiver. Don't let the recruiter be lazy, go for the waiver and don't hide it. The recruiters don't want to have to do the extra work to help you with your waivers. They work off a quota system, and will be sent back to a ship if they can't meet their quotas, so they are under a lot of pressure to spend as little time on each potential applicant as possible. The recruiter is telling you to just not talk about it to save themselves some effort, but remember that fraudulent enlistment, even you don't realize that this is what they are trying to get you to do, is a crime. It will also put you in an awkward position for the rest of your career if you find out after the fact that they didn't record what you told them verbally. Make sure that they write down everything you tell them, and that it actually gets submitted, and properly waived.

Personally, my recruiter spent time with me, was honest, and helped me out with things not directly related to the Navy recruitment process. However, he was not the first recruiter I talked to, and a few of them tried to pull the non-sense I warned about above. Visit a few different offices for any branch that you are considering; ideally visit ones that are hundreds of miles from each other. If you don't feel like you are being adequately serviced at any point, work with a different recruiter. Their is a head recruiter at every office, and they in turn are over seen by a regional recruiter.

Once you agree to join and have selected a job, you are placed in the Delayed Entry Program. Time in DEP counts towards the eight years you are actually on the hook for no matter you initial contract says, and consists of going to meetings and exercising. If you aren't in decent shape, purposefully pick a far off ship date when you are at MEPS so that boot camp will suck less for you. You don't need the extra negative attention that looking or being fat is going to garner in that environment, and it negatively affects the 80 or so people with which you are going to spend a few months in close quarters. It also gives you time to memorize all the things that everyone else in boot camp is going to be learning. They aren't teaching you anything at your DEP office? Tell your recruiter that you are attending DEP meetings at another office.

Before 'shipping out' you will again be sent to MEPS for a final screening before flying to Great Lakes.

Interview Question – They ask you about every aspect of your personal life. If you need a security clearance later, it will be more of the same, but with an larger investigation, and more specific information.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – People that tell you that there is no negotiation process are just silly. There are many incentive programs available to the recruiters, and they don't have to tell you about any of them unless they are needed to make the sale, and they feel that you are worth the trouble of the extra work (meaning: you have a clean record, and awesome ASVAB and Fitness scores.) The best position for you to take is to seem like you are tempted, but still very willing to walk away from the deal. It is true in the recruiting office, when you see the person who places you in a rate at MEPS, and when your chain of command asks you about you re-enlistment plans a few years later. The less of a problem you are for the recruiter (i.e. you comply with showing up on time, doing what is needed, acting respectful to other people, exercising, staying out of trouble) the more likely they are to tell you about additional programs without actually needing to do so to make their sale. They are very busy usually, and the more respectful you are of that the more help you will get.

After the initial screening at the office over a few days or weeks, you will be scheduled for health screening and job selection at MEPS. You will be examined, asked questions, and finally see a placement specialist. They have a list of jobs that they are needing to fill, and those that they are supposed to push you into in order to fill chronically or temporarily under-staffed areas; this is another sales person. I would recommend being undecieded and leave without selecting anything. This will severely annoy your recruiter, and mean that you will have to take an extra trip to MEPS. However, write down all the jobs that are open and find some people who know what the current conditions and future out-look for those ratings are (i.e. Ask people currently in the Navy, who aren't involved with Recruiting or MEPS.) I don't know if it is still the case, but when I went, their were different bonuses assigned to different shipment dates, and I purposely went to Chicago in the middle of winter because it made my bonus $2000 dollars higher. If you were promised something and it isn't in the paperwork, it doesn't exist. My rate supposedly required a five year contract, but in school we found a guy who managed to get the same deal on a four year contract.

LPO At Sea Interview

LPO At Sea
Norfolk, VA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at US Navy in June 2011.

Interview Details Work your tail off for a decade and get promoted to E6. Demonstrate your ability to lead young Sailors in a diverse and fast paced environment. Keep your qualifications up-to-date and always challenge for the next pay grade. Demonstrate superior training and motivation skills while taking time for self improvement and community relations.

Interview Question – How are you going to hold your people accountable?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had to terminate shore duty orders for an attempt to get the coveted LPO at Sea tour.

Contract Specialist Interview

Contract Specialist
Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Navy in July 2012.

Interview Details Situation based scenarios with an emphasis on degree requirements and work experiences. They are looking for a business background and common sense as well. Knowledge of the agency mission is very important in answering the interview questions.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in ten years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation but salary was acceptable.

Logistics Specialist Interview

Logistics Specialist
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Navy in July 2010.

Interview Details There is no interview process. Meet with a recruiter pass the ASVAB testing portion and see what jobs that you qualify for. Go to MEPS do a physical pick a rate and get a date for entrance into bootcamp.

Interview Question – What are the technical terms that is used to process a requisition to send off the ship   Answer Question