US Department of State

Updated 4 Feb, 2015
Updated 4 Feb, 2015

3.2

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of State.

Apply 6 months ahead of start date on USAjobs. You do not need any connections or networking, which is really nice. Got emails from the bureaus I was interested in, Brasilia and Lisbon. Scheduled a phone interview for the crack of dawn. Language skills are a massive plus as well as a background of volunteer work. If you really want the internship apply to one of the less popular areas like smaller European countries or even better Africa.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the position/Department of State? (Question wasnt meant to be an "interview" question though)   Answer Question
    • We have a native Portuguese speaker here who will speak with you to gauge your fluency...   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

Pretty straightforward. Applied on USA Jobs and heard back in a few months. Had a phone interview and then got my COE. I then waited a few months to get my security clearance, and once received, I was off running.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a few minutes with the Secretary of State, what would you say are the challenges facing U.S. Diplomacy today?   Answer Question

ICASS Administrative Support Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Department of State.

I sent in my application via USAJobs, and I was contacted after two weeks to set up a phone interview. My interviewer clearly did not read my resume. The interview stopped after I mentioned I had not previously used SharePoint. I was discouraged, particularly because I explained that I managed projects and developed websites in my previous positions. It wasn't going to be a good match.

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Most of the jobs in the gs 12-14 range are pre-cooked for people already. Still it is worth taking a chance but dont be too disappointed. Jobs can be pulled and readvertized until the right person gets it. But for about 30 to 40 percent of the jobs there is no internal candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Please explain how x on your resume meets the goals of the job   Answer Question
    Very difficult to negotiate - they have sops which determine what they will offer.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Written test, essay, interview, medical and security clearances. Multi-step process took almost a year. Had to travel to DC for the interview on my own dime. Lots of competition. I was prepared for the interview and made it through to a job offer on my first try. Process was fair and now is a point of bonding among my colleagues.

Interview Questions
    • Need to provide examples and back them up with details   Answer Question
    Take it or leave it

Passport Specialist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

6+ months, no interview. Contingent offer based on passing security clearance. Started within a month of security clearance.

Some colleagues that were interviewed had to go through two rounds with an interview panel.

No negotiation, federal. Except you can negotiate the starting grade. I didn't have to.

Intern Interview

Three interviews. They were fairly easy asking basic questions about the department and my knowledge of international affairs. I found them to be very welcoming and it seemed they wanted to choose me but were being very formal.

Its an internship so....

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of State.

Apply via USAJobs; it's fairly specific, but beyond the brochure it isn't necessarily clear what the position will entail. I had a special website I was able to look at, which was a gigantic help, but that is far from true for other interns, especially in more obscure offices. The interview was fairly straightforward.

FSO Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at US Department of State.

The hiring process is ardous and long. The written exam is meritorious, but it seems the oral exams are completely arbitrary! Once you are hired, then the security clearance could take a while. Finally, you get your medical clearance check, and it may turn out that you are not qualified for the job due to medical reasons.

none

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of State.

The application process is pretty rigorous, as are all security clearance positions. After you complete your initial application package, you will be contacted for a phone interview. My phone interview was actually pretty brief - they already knew they wanted me and just wanted to verify that I was still interested in the position. Of course, I said yes. The security clearance paperwork following the interview was the most tedious - you really need to know every place you've ever lived at and the dates, etc., as well as everywhere outside of the U.S. that you have travelled, the dates, whom you were with, etc.