US Department of Health and Human Services

Updated Aug 13, 2014
Updated Aug 13, 2014

2.7

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Carson City, NV (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson City, NV (US)

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in April 2014.

Had to apply online through the State website. Had to take an exam to qualify which I was contacted to take about two weeks after submitting my application. Two weeks later after passing the exam and becoming eligible I was contacted for an interview. Interview was fairly easy. Asked a series of 5 questions. Two of the questions were behavioral questions. For example, "If you and another employee weren't getting along, how would you resolve the issue?"

Interview Questions
    • How does your experience relate to this position?   View Answer

Auditor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in April 2010.

Submitted application. Several months later received a phone call asking if I was still interested. Phone call acted as a initial interview based upon the flow of the conversation and topics presented. At the end of the conversation asked to attend a in-person interview. In-person interview consisted of a panel of 3. Much of the interview was like presenting your bio. Personality was is a major factor. The following week received a phone call from HR asking if I would accept the position.

Interview Questions
    • Several questions were scenario based. Also consisted of your typical strengths, weaknesses, and describe a incident and what would you do different.   Answer Question

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockville, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in July 2010.

Selected from a list of some 1800 applicants, most likely for diversity reasons. Interview was by Head of department and one senior official. Simple interview, nothing complicated.

HR would not negotiate. Either I accepted their offer or not. The pay was 30% less than my previous pay but being out of work for 6 months I had no other prospects.

Health Insurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in October 2011.

My interview was a panel with 5 people in the room and 2 on the phone. Interviewers were seeking specific skills to fill specific positions within their divisions. Questions asked ranged from knowledge of specific health insurance policy questions to functional areas such as project management, regulation writing, and healthcare economics.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult - selling enthusiasm and mission focus were the key things for this interview.   Answer Question
    Was not able to successfully negotiate due to a non-transparent HR system.

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bethesda, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in June 2013.

Very complicated and multilevel in paperwork, but in person only one person. I wasn't asked as many questions as I was told what would be expected of me. This department had already had two people quit and so they really needed someone to come on board and help. My job duties were nebulous because I believe there was no job description at the time, and they were bridging gaps.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current position?   View Answer
    There wasn't any. I was told that was their ceiling for my position and take it or not.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in November 2013.

I applied for the position via USA Jobs in March 2013. I was contacted by a manager via e-mail at the end of October 2013, requesting an updated copy of my resume and my availability for a phone interview. A few days later I had a phone interview with a manager, I later received a phone call from another manager stating that I was referred to him for a potential job opportunity within his division. I had a phone interview with him the very next day and was offered an in-person interview which took place early November 2013. The in-person interview consisted of 3 interviews with the manager and two of his staff members. Each interview lasted about 15-20 minutes. The manager stated that he was going to consult with his team and contact me with a decision by the end of the week (November 2013). I had not heard anything about the job so I followed up with the manager and was told that there was hang up in HR and that he would get back to me regarding next steps. I received a few e-mails requesting updated documents. I received my tentative job offer March 31, 2014. The process took one year from application to receiving the offer.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were based mostly on my experience so there were not any difficult questions. I did answer a few behavioral questions like "What would you do if you received an assignment from two different people, how would you prioritize it?"   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Student Extern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lawton, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services.

No interview process was conducted. Internship occurred during the winter break between semesters. Informed of hiring via phone call after application was reviewed

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in August 2010.

The application was lengthy. I received a follow-up call for an interview a month later. I went in for the interview in professional dress. They gave me an option to do my interview at either office location (a real plus in my book). The questions in the interview were pretty standard. What is your biggest weakness? What is your biggest strength? Tell me about yourself. Etc.

Interview Questions
    • The only question that seemed not "textbook" was how would you react to having your audit report come back with a bunch of edit marks and suggestions? I believe my answer to this question landed me the offer.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. It's a government job. Everyone is treated the same.

Travel Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in May 2010.

The job started with a phone interview the was grueling. this was through ahead hunter 3rd party service. they grilled me like I was on trial. The in person interview was held the next day with the person who conducted my phone interview and the person that I would actually be working.

Office Automation Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in November 2009.

I want to commuicate my co-worker, focus my work and perform all my work assignments.

Interview Questions
    • I want to ask questions about my work assignments.   View Answer
    My instructors will travel train and follow my instructions from my instructors.

Worked for US Department of Health and Human Services? Contribute to the Community!