US Department of Health and Human Services

Updated 14 Nov, 2014
Updated 14 Nov, 2014

2.7

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in November 2014.

Applied online on USAjobs.gov back in August 2014. Got referred to hiring manager in October 2014 and received an interview in November 2014. First interview (phone) was panel of three people with one question. Second round consisted of three panel in-person.

Human Service Manager Interview

Must go through individual and at times group interviews. Positive for people to have direct experience in case management and ability to think fast and make informed decisions. Interview questions focus on these traits.Many reference checks and in depth criminal history as well as drug testing.

very little ability for negotiation.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson City, NV (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson City, NV (US)

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in April 2014.

Had to apply online through the State website. Had to take an exam to qualify which I was contacted to take about two weeks after submitting my application. Two weeks later after passing the exam and becoming eligible I was contacted for an interview. Interview was fairly easy. Asked a series of 5 questions. Two of the questions were behavioral questions. For example, "If you and another employee weren't getting along, how would you resolve the issue?"

Interview Questions
    • How does your experience relate to this position?   View Answer

Student Extern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services.

No interview process was conducted. Internship occurred during the winter break between semesters. Informed of hiring via phone call after application was reviewed

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in November 2013.

I applied for the position via USA Jobs in March 2013. I was contacted by a manager via e-mail at the end of October 2013, requesting an updated copy of my resume and my availability for a phone interview. A few days later I had a phone interview with a manager, I later received a phone call from another manager stating that I was referred to him for a potential job opportunity within his division. I had a phone interview with him the very next day and was offered an in-person interview which took place early November 2013. The in-person interview consisted of 3 interviews with the manager and two of his staff members. Each interview lasted about 15-20 minutes. The manager stated that he was going to consult with his team and contact me with a decision by the end of the week (November 2013). I had not heard anything about the job so I followed up with the manager and was told that there was hang up in HR and that he would get back to me regarding next steps. I received a few e-mails requesting updated documents. I received my tentative job offer March 31, 2014. The process took one year from application to receiving the offer.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were based mostly on my experience so there were not any difficult questions. I did answer a few behavioral questions like "What would you do if you received an assignment from two different people, how would you prioritize it?"   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Systems Analyst IV Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services.

Small one hour interview with fixed set of questions from a sheet

No negotiations

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in June 2013.

Very complicated and multilevel in paperwork, but in person only one person. I wasn't asked as many questions as I was told what would be expected of me. This department had already had two people quit and so they really needed someone to come on board and help. My job duties were nebulous because I believe there was no job description at the time, and they were bridging gaps.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current position?   View Answer
    There wasn't any. I was told that was their ceiling for my position and take it or not.

IT Liaison Interview

Submitted resume and filled application.
    For called for interview.
    Interview friendly no hard questions.

Deputy Director of Operations Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services.

I was recruited by the Secretary. First interview was with the White House Liaison, then I interviewed with one of the Secretary's Senior Advisors. After that I interviewed with two Assistant Secretaries and the Director of another office with an opening. The final interview was with the White House Liaison to determine which office would be the best fit.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question related to internal policy issues with which I was not acquainted.   View Answer
    The negotiation phase was about which GS level I would start at. It was fair, and quick.

Staff Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monterey Park, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monterey Park, CA (US)

The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in October 2011.

I got the the interview through their college campus recruitment through the career center's job board. I was a selected candidate for an entry-level staff auditor position. The interview lasted for about 45 minutes in the morning. They were looking for candidates with interpersonal skills, some audit experience, and technical writing skills. They had asked me to describe my past experience in those three areas. I had illustrated my interpersonal skills by telling them about my past experience of gathering business requirements from numerous stakeholders for projects. I had also elaborated on my auditing skills as I have completed an information technologies compliance audit. Finally, discussed the aptitude of my technical writing skills from my past experiences creating internal control procedures, documenting business processes, and variance reporting for senior management.