US Coast Guard Interview Questions

Updated 3 Jan, 2015

2.7

Enlisted Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Coast Guard (Oklahoma City, OK (US)).

Interview

Application in thru recruiter, once acepted the process then included a physical exam. Once complete you go off to basic training, followed by worldwide assignments to see what career path you choose then promotion is all about experience, evaluations, and written tests. The time for promotions is usually every 4-5 years but can take some up to 9 or so to get the promotion.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation. Set pay tables approved by congress.

E-4 Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Coast Guard.

Interview

Easy stuff. Have your finances in order, don't pop positive on a drug test, don't have any felony charges, and don't be a complete idiot. If you're 17 or older and you have generally made wise decisions up to that point in your life.....then you should have no problem enlisting into the Coast Guard. Depending on the financial status of the military, you may have to be prepared to play the waiting game once you sign

Interview Questions

• There is NOTHING difficult about getting into the military........unless you're dumb, you smoke weed, or you stole a car in your younger years!   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase. It's cut and dry.....either they will accept you, or they won't.

Seaman Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at US Coast Guard.

Interview

I met with a recruiter once with an appointment and it was pretty simple. He asked me some basic questions about what I wanted to do in the CG and how to get the enlistment process started. I wasn't like interviews for other jobs.

Negotiation

Hardly any negotiation. He did offer me a guaranteed district, but I am not sure if they are doing that anymore. They were not doing any bonuses of any kind when I signed up.

Master Chief Petty Officer Interview

Interview

No interview process, rank is achieved through recommendations of your command, technical tests, service wide exams, evaluations, and time in service. Depending on your specialty will determine the number of Master Chief positions that are available, in my specialty there are only eight Master Chiefs in the entire Coast Guard.

Negotiation

No negotiations.

LTJG Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Coast Guard.

Interview

Research all information on OPM and USCG.mil. Getting in is not easy, but getting kicked out is near impossible. Once you've made it through the process you will likely accept your job. The CG spends a ton of time vetting you and they leave nearly no stone unturned. Make sure you meet the minimum requirements before you start or you will be wasting your time.

Interview Questions

• No interview. Probably filling out the clearance forms.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. If you've made it that far in the process, you know its for you. Get ready for some boot camp!

Petty Officer Interview

Interview

Recruiters tell you things that aren't true. Do your homework before signing the paper. Make sure it's what you want to do because it's a big commitment. One of the toughest but best decisions I ever made. Tough of great benefits and experience.

Interview Questions

• committing 4-6 years of your life without knowing where you will go after basic training.   Answer Question

Enlisted USCG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montgomery, AL (US)

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at US Coast Guard (Montgomery, AL (US)).

Interview

There's no initial communication unless you meet a recruiter at a school job fair. I had to hunt and find a recruiter myself before the internet existed. Once you complete all of the paperwork, then the recruiter can guide you through the process. It helps to be fully qualified without needing any waivers for physical issues or pay behavior difficulties such as bad debt or criminal behavior.

Interview Questions

• Dozens of pages with questions necessary to obtain a security clearance. Be prepared to research all of your previous addresses, family, phone numbers, employers, etc.   Answer Question

Boatswains Mate Interview

Interview

posses the ASVAB scores necessary to become a Boatswains Mate. after a minimum of four months you can place your name on the A School list. After your name is on the list you wait at your unit till you get orders to school. Upon graduation you will be cycled into general population again to perform the duties as a Boatswain Mate 3rd class.

Negotiation

none

Base Commander Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at US Coast Guard.

Interview

Natural career progression for active duty senior officer; internal selection board. Initial selection for officer accession points normally do have interviews through the Officer Candidate School or the USCG Academy in New London CT. This was a natural career progression and advancement.

Enlisted USCG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, PR (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Coast Guard (San Juan, PR (US)).

Interview

Pretty straightforward although recruiters didn't disclose much of the "crappy work" a junior enlisted would be doing until after contract was signed (LOL). You need to pass a test called the ASVAB and your score would determine your eligibility to various "ratings."

Negotiation

"Sign here. "