URS a company of AECOM Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct, 2014
Updated 16 Oct, 2014

2.5

Environmental Engineer/Specialist (Entry Level) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in January 2014.

The interview process was ridiculous in Cleveland, most likely because of a specific individual in my case. I interviewed 4 times for the same position, and 3 of the 4 interviews were with the same individuals. This was an entry level job mind you. I had to take days off work because the commute was so far, and I felt like each experience was just a repeat of the last. Cost me over 200 in gas and almost 40 dollars in parking passes, not to mention the day(s) salary I lost coming to interview each time. How many times does one have to interview for the same job in Cleveland? Especially an entry level position. Even after the 4th interview salary was never even discussed.

I was offered the job, accepted, and then put in my two weeks notice with my current employer. The individual who drug out the interview process was also the same person to call me and retract the offer AFTER he knew I had put in my two weeks notice with my current employer. There was no legitimate reason for the rescinded offer (nothing in my background check, nothing in my work history, etc.) nothing that would draw a red flag. The person withdrew the offer for no legitimate reason (other than personal reasons) and caused my current unemployment. Anybody out there looking for an environmental job?.....Please do yourself a favor and don't wast your time at this location, until this one specific individual quits or gets fired.

Piping Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in December 2013.

Applied online and got a series of emails to fill out questionnaires on my background and work experience. 2 weeks following that a call scheduling a phone interview with the Head of the Mechanical Engineering Dept. and the head of the Piping Engineering Division. about a month after that got an email saying another candidate had been chosen. Interviews were all very easy, minimum questions asked. Interviews mostly consisted of explaining what the job would entail and asking if I was up to the tasks and hand, explaining how I would get started, what was expected of me, etc.

Environmental Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM.

Panel interview with specific questions concerning environmental permitting, sampling, and testing.

Not much negotiation

Scheduling Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in November 2013.

First got an email asking for more information. Then had a phone interview and a week later was scheduled for face to face interview.

GIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Submitted resume online; Two weeks later, HR contacted me via email to setup phone interview with a VP of Data Management; One week later, a 30 minute phone interview with the VP and an aviation employee took place. From the very beginning, they were only interested in my aviation background, as I do have other pertinent industrial and academia experiences relating to this position. Amazingly, they "dug" for information specifically about the company's proprietary aviation datasets, main project details, and mostly about government funding as if they weren't interested in "me" but just about my prior company's "status". They deviated away from the job description entirely (i.e. GIS support on environmental and civil projects) - asking about my aviation background only and no other industrial experiences; We briefly spoke about my atmospheric-flight data integration work. They cut me short on discussing my prior accomplishments and also added distractions while I spoke (see below). The distractions happened about 16 minutes within the interview and carried to the end.

What brought this experience to a clearly "negative" level was that the VP had an aviation employee next to him (for screening obviously) who noticeably chuckled and tried adding "gotcha" questions into the interview (demonstrating incompetence and unprofessional, childish behavior).

They never asked if I had any questions regarding their position, about URS, or why I wanted to work for them (it was purely one directional information gathering and they targeted my prior company). It was definitely the worst interview experience in my career, none of which I expected it to be moderated by a 20+ year URS vice president.

Interview Questions
    • Did you even work with any radar data? (sarcastic with a chuckle added)   View Answer

Construction Inspector/CMR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM.

Hiring process was straight forward. Interviews were pleasant and didn't feel like there were any 'gotcha questions'

Interview Questions
    The contract was already set up and compensation and benefits were already in place. Being new to URS at that time, I felt the compensation was adequate for the position I held

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM.

First phone call with some basic question

Interview Questions
    they offer very low salary

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at URS a company of AECOM in October 2013.

The interview was reasonably casual and Friendly. They seemed genuinely interested to find out about me.
    There were three people interviewing including a senior engineer and hr. not too many classic pre prepared questions.

Maintenance Reliability Planner Scheduler Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in October 2013.

1st phone: Preliminary HR type interview on background.(20 Minutes) 2nd Phone Interview with 2 technical experts to assess my depth of knowledge and field experience (45 Minutes to 1 hour). 3rd. In person meeting with the site manager, answering many questions on varied scenario 2 hours long, the 4th interview was with representatives of the customer company, "Meet and Greet to see if the customer might have any objections to me.

Interview Questions
    • Age related, as I am a senior adult. Their concern was retirement related and concern that my attention wouldn't be company focused enough.   View Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at URS a company of AECOM in October 2013.

Emailed to set up an interview time. Worked well to accommodate a time interview lasted about 30 minutes. It was a normal interview process. Let me know in 2-3 weeks that they did not have a place for me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us what sets you apart from the other applicants. How should we remember you?   Answer Question