URS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resource Assistant Interview

Human Resource Assistant
Calgary, AB

I applied online - interviewed at URS in March 2012.

Interview Details Applied on-line, first contact with recruiter a phone call then within a week called for interview with recruiter and HR manager.

Interview Question – All questions were easy to answer   View Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at URS in September 2013.

Interview Details I'll be brief : (biased toward negative, however a collective view on the reader is strongly advised)

Their HR department does a good job of setting up the interview and communicate thoroughly.

However, the management and interviewers rank very poorly in my many years of work experience as a Professional Engineer and years of experience in interviews and engineering consulting. They basically give you a massive false hope for the job and a sense of urgent need on a job to a level that you almost basically give notice to current career. BUT be careful NOT to do so .

My experience:
1- was that they wanted to interview me a for senior engineer position, but when I showed up for the interview after one of month of organizing for the interview, timing issues,... , they said they have somebody for that position and they are looking for a much junior position!

2- The junior position was to start "immediately" and I sensed that they were just kicking the tires in the tight British Columbia, Canada engineering consulting market and giving some false hopes to potentials, So I provided that I like to move forward with their junior position they are offering and communicated that to their HR, interviewer(s) by email and phone message after after the interview process.

3- No answers for couple of weeks, until I followed up the followup by calling one of the VP interviewers on the provided cell to get an update. Response was "we are still evaluating the offered position and we will let you know". Was that a joke or lack of integrity and professionalism, I would let the reader to judge based on this brief experience.

I would give one advice to all North American fellow engineers and other professionals:

1- Due to economic conditions in North America, a lot of engineering consulting companies are able to get away with their hiring, firing, and employe(r) royalty Mal-practices, lack of integrity, and their hire/fire practices. At the end, the engineer or technical professional always is the damaged product and always ends up in the street. Having your own best interest in mind is a good policy to follow. The royalty era is to be framed and be sold in small town antique shops.

2- Engineers are being thought in many school events and lectures to talk about knowledge modesty, however, a slight "fake it until you make it" within reach usually helps you to exceed in your field if you are the ambitious type.

Disclosure : I never heard back from them.

Interview Question – unexpected : going for senior position, telling you that position is already fulfilled but there is this really junior position available. do you want it ?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Site Supervisor/Safety Adviser/Operations Interview

Site Supervisor/Safety Adviser/Operations
Fort McMurray, AB

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at URS in December 2011.

Interview Details interview was great, old school, by an awesome person who had worked there for 25 years, not like these retarded behavior based interviews by some dumb hr person, who has never worked. It has been said that the behavior based interviews weed out the good people, and actually hire people who should not have been hired.....

Interview Question – the questions were normal and the interview was great, and I in turn, did a great job!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – negotiate, once they make an offer, because then you know that they want you.....

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Human Resources Advisor
Calgary, AB

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at URS in June 2011.

Interview Details had a phone screen interview for appoximately 45 minutes with basic questions and an interperson interview over a month later. Very slow process and no communication bettween phone screen and actual face to face interview. It took them almost 3 weeks to call back to book the face to face.

Interview Question – a lot of behavioural questions and senarios posed   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much room for negotiation

Invoice Specialist Interview

Invoice Specialist
Denver, CO (US)

I applied online - interviewed at URS in December 2012.

Interview Details One interview. Great people, atmosphere, and benefits. Everything went smoothly from the interview to the hiring process, and new hire orientation. I enjoyed working for URS very much.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Graduate Planner Interview

Graduate Planner

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at URS in July 2014.

Interview Details Very straight-forward interview with the people I would have been working with. Don't over-prepare for trick questions like I did. Be measured and comprehensive. Chances are they are trying to gauge your communication skills and professional manner, not your specific knowledge. Be prepared to discuss accomplishments on your resume in a way that does them justice. I regret using the term "y'all."

Interview Question – What questions do you have for us about the position?   Answer Question

Logistics Interview

Logistics

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at URS.

Interview Details The initial interview was the only interview I needed to get hired. I simply went in well dressed with the attitude that I already had the job. I was asked a couple of minor questions about previous work experience. The one and only job related question I was asked was if I knew what an NSN was.

Interview Question – The questions asked were just your normal run of the mill interview questions. Nothing too difficult at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The pay and benefits package were so good who would need to negotiate it.

IT Support Interview

IT Support
Denver, CO (US)

Interviewed at URS

Interview Details Haring was a lengthy process. There were two sets of interviews and the decision took several weeks. The interviews were conducted by several members of the team and were fairly routine.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Very Easy Interview

Piping Design Interview

Piping Design

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at URS in August 2012.

Interview Details Very easy and relaxed. Spoke with a human resources rep. for a while then two different managers within the group I was interviewing for. There were not any gotcha type questions. We chatted for about 30-45 minutes and that was it. Got a call on my way home offering me the position.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation really, they ofered what I was asking for.

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at URS in November 2012.

Interview Details Straight forward focusing on technical knowledge and relevant experiences. Background check conducted including referral engagement. Interview conducted by HR and in-country manager. Friendly without being aggressive. Document checks to be expected for verification purpose. Filling up HR forms and process 1:1 takes about an hour.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years time   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straight forward and within market range/demand

Worked for URS? Contribute to the Community!