URS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resource Assistant Interview

Human Resource Assistant
Calgary, AB

I applied online - interviewed at URS in March 2012.

Interview Details Applied on-line, first contact with recruiter a phone call then within a week called for interview with recruiter and HR manager.

Interview Question – All questions were easy to answer   View Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at URS in September 2013.

Interview Details I'll be brief : (biased toward negative, however a collective view on the reader is strongly advised)

Their HR department does a good job of setting up the interview and communicate thoroughly.

However, the management and interviewers rank very poorly in my many years of work experience as a Professional Engineer and years of experience in interviews and engineering consulting. They basically give you a massive false hope for the job and a sense of urgent need on a job to a level that you almost basically give notice to current career. BUT be careful NOT to do so .

My experience:
1- was that they wanted to interview me a for senior engineer position, but when I showed up for the interview after one of month of organizing for the interview, timing issues,... , they said they have somebody for that position and they are looking for a much junior position!

2- The junior position was to start "immediately" and I sensed that they were just kicking the tires in the tight British Columbia, Canada engineering consulting market and giving some false hopes to potentials, So I provided that I like to move forward with their junior position they are offering and communicated that to their HR, interviewer(s) by email and phone message after after the interview process.

3- No answers for couple of weeks, until I followed up the followup by calling one of the VP interviewers on the provided cell to get an update. Response was "we are still evaluating the offered position and we will let you know". Was that a joke or lack of integrity and professionalism, I would let the reader to judge based on this brief experience.

I would give one advice to all North American fellow engineers and other professionals:

1- Due to economic conditions in North America, a lot of engineering consulting companies are able to get away with their hiring, firing, and employe(r) royalty Mal-practices, lack of integrity, and their hire/fire practices. At the end, the engineer or technical professional always is the damaged product and always ends up in the street. Having your own best interest in mind is a good policy to follow. The royalty era is to be framed and be sold in small town antique shops.

2- Engineers are being thought in many school events and lectures to talk about knowledge modesty, however, a slight "fake it until you make it" within reach usually helps you to exceed in your field if you are the ambitious type.

Disclosure : I never heard back from them.

Interview Question – unexpected : going for senior position, telling you that position is already fulfilled but there is this really junior position available. do you want it ?   View Answer

Site Supervisor/Safety Adviser/Operations Interview

Site Supervisor/Safety Adviser/Operations
Fort McMurray, AB

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at URS in December 2011.

Interview Details interview was great, old school, by an awesome person who had worked there for 25 years, not like these retarded behavior based interviews by some dumb hr person, who has never worked. It has been said that the behavior based interviews weed out the good people, and actually hire people who should not have been hired.....

Interview Question – the questions were normal and the interview was great, and I in turn, did a great job!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – negotiate, once they make an offer, because then you know that they want you.....

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Human Resources Advisor
Calgary, AB

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at URS in June 2011.

Interview Details had a phone screen interview for appoximately 45 minutes with basic questions and an interperson interview over a month later. Very slow process and no communication bettween phone screen and actual face to face interview. It took them almost 3 weeks to call back to book the face to face.

Interview Question – a lot of behavioural questions and senarios posed   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much room for negotiation

IT Support Interview

IT Support
Denver, CO (US)

Interviewed at URS

Interview Details Haring was a lengthy process. There were two sets of interviews and the decision took several weeks. The interviews were conducted by several members of the team and were fairly routine.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Piping Design Interview

Piping Design

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at URS in August 2012.

Interview Details Very easy and relaxed. Spoke with a human resources rep. for a while then two different managers within the group I was interviewing for. There were not any gotcha type questions. We chatted for about 30-45 minutes and that was it. Got a call on my way home offering me the position.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation really, they ofered what I was asking for.

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at URS in November 2012.

Interview Details Straight forward focusing on technical knowledge and relevant experiences. Background check conducted including referral engagement. Interview conducted by HR and in-country manager. Friendly without being aggressive. Document checks to be expected for verification purpose. Filling up HR forms and process 1:1 takes about an hour.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years time   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straight forward and within market range/demand

Principal Engineer Interview

Principal Engineer
Brisbane (Australia)

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at URS in October 2013.

Interview Details The interview was reasonably casual and Friendly. They seemed genuinely interested to find out about me.
There were three people interviewing including a senior engineer and hr. not too many classic pre prepared questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience in design.   Answer Question

IT Coordinator/Desktop Support Technician Interview

IT Coordinator/Desktop Support Technician
Cleveland, OH (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at URS in January 2011.

Interview Details I first received contact a week or two after first applying. The interview was performed by my direct manager and someone from HR. My position was through a staffing agency at the time and I only had 1 phone interview before I was hired. The process went quickly and I started within 2-3 weeks of my interview. I only briefly spoke to someone from the staffing agency during my entire 2 years of being contacted through them.

The process was fairly typical... "Tell me about a time you had to handle conflict..." "What are your strengths and weaknesses", etc... IT-wise, I was asked 5 very simple questions that most anyone in IT should know.... "Name at least 2 different methods of opening a command prompt", "What is an IP address starting with 169.254.x.x mean?", "Name some tools and methods to remove viruses", etc... Nothing difficult.

Interview Question – There really wasn't much to it...   Answer Question

Air Quality Specialist Interview

Air Quality Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at URS.

Interview Details They asked me basic interview question and say i'm quiet fit in this position, but they cant offer me H1B visa, so they cannot hire me. But they do gave me good advices about how to apply to job in the future.

Interview Question – They asked me basic interview question   Answer Question

Worked for URS? Contribute to the Community!