URS

130 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resource Assistant Interview

Calgary, AB

I applied online - interviewed at URS in March 2012.

Interview Details Applied on-line, first contact with recruiter a phone call then within a week called for interview with recruiter and HR manager.

Interview Question – All questions were easy to answer   View Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at URS in September 2013.

Interview Details I'll be brief : (biased toward negative, however a collective view on the reader is strongly advised)

Their HR department does a good job of setting up the interview and communicate thoroughly.

However, the management and interviewers rank very poorly in my many years of work experience as a Professional Engineer and years of experience in interviews and engineering consulting. They basically give you a massive false hope for the job and a sense of urgent need on a job to a level that you almost basically give notice to current career. BUT be careful NOT to do so .

My experience:
1- was that they wanted to interview me a for senior engineer position, but when I showed up for the interview after one of month of organizing for the interview, timing issues,... , they said they have somebody for that position and they are looking for a much junior position!

2- The junior position was to start "immediately" and I sensed that they were just kicking the tires in the tight British Columbia, Canada engineering consulting market and giving some false hopes to potentials, So I provided that I like to move forward with their junior position they are offering and communicated that to their HR, interviewer(s) by email and phone message after after the interview process.

3- No answers for couple of weeks, until I followed up the followup by calling one of the VP interviewers on the provided cell to get an update. Response was "we are still evaluating the offered position and we will let you know". Was that a joke or lack of integrity and professionalism, I would let the reader to judge based on this brief experience.

I would give one advice to all North American fellow engineers and other professionals:

1- Due to economic conditions in North America, a lot of engineering consulting companies are able to get away with their hiring, firing, and employe(r) royalty Mal-practices, lack of integrity, and their hire/fire practices. At the end, the engineer or technical professional always is the damaged product and always ends up in the street. Having your own best interest in mind is a good policy to follow. The royalty era is to be framed and be sold in small town antique shops.

2- Engineers are being thought in many school events and lectures to talk about knowledge modesty, however, a slight "fake it until you make it" within reach usually helps you to exceed in your field if you are the ambitious type.

Disclosure : I never heard back from them.

Interview Question – unexpected : going for senior position, telling you that position is already fulfilled but there is this really junior position available. do you want it ?   View Answer

Site Supervisor/Safety Adviser/Operations Interview

Fort McMurray, AB

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at URS in December 2011.

Interview Details interview was great, old school, by an awesome person who had worked there for 25 years, not like these retarded behavior based interviews by some dumb hr person, who has never worked. It has been said that the behavior based interviews weed out the good people, and actually hire people who should not have been hired.....

Interview Question – the questions were normal and the interview was great, and I in turn, did a great job!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – negotiate, once they make an offer, because then you know that they want you.....

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Calgary, AB

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at URS in June 2011.

Interview Details had a phone screen interview for appoximately 45 minutes with basic questions and an interperson interview over a month later. Very slow process and no communication bettween phone screen and actual face to face interview. It took them almost 3 weeks to call back to book the face to face.

Interview Question – a lot of behavioural questions and senarios posed   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much room for negotiation

Senior Environmental Scientist Interview

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at URS.

Interview Details Two interviews. Possible the best interviews I have ever been on.

Human Resources Interview

Carlsbad, NM (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at URS.

Interview Details Clumsy not very professional.

Interview Question – How long do you expect to work for the company.   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Interview

Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at URS.

Interview Details I loved the work culture and the interviews themselves. I was interviewed by two different groups - Geotech and Infrastructure. I decided to go with Infrastructure because the managers were so nice and the work seemed to be what I wanted to do.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at URS.

Interview Details My interview was simple because they need a person with my skills. The VP is a stand up person and just expects you to do your job. Very easy to work with.

Interview Question – How do you prioritize?   View Answer

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at URS in January 2014.

Interview Details I applied online by giving my CV and answered a question. After about 3 months I had a phone interview based on competency questions and my CV. I passed the phone interview and now I got an assessment centre on the way.

Interview Question – Tell us a goal you have set in your last job.   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Interview

Civil Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at URS in September 2013.

Interview Details Applied online. Next day received an email saying 'thanks for applying, but we are no longer considering you for this position'. Several weeks later received an email asking to call them if I was still interested. I called and the first impression was positive. A phone interview followed. Later a job offer came (without any additional interviews or ever meeting anyone in person). Hiring process seemed extremely atypical.

Interview Question – No hard or tricky questions. Asked me to explain past professional experience, and why I became an engineer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked my desired salary range. They came back with a lower offer. Tried to negotiate for more.

Interviews for Top Jobs at URS

Worked for URS? Contribute to the Community!

URS – Why Work for Us?

URS Corporation is a leading provider of engineering, construction and technical services for public agencies and private sector companies worldwide. We offer a full range of program management; planning, design and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at URS interview questions and advice. All 130 interview reviews are posted anonymously by URS employees and interview candidates.